Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Lifer,

I have a couple of retract servos I can use, but aren't they 180 degrees. Those flaps can barely go 45 degres. And the retract servos are not programable in order to reduce the travel. How do you make it work?

Thanks,
Using a retract Servo sounds like a great solution, in fact Spectrum has a fully proportional/end point adjustable retract servo 'Spectrum A7000 Retract Servo'

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ervo-SPMSA7000
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 AM
tahfiet

Hi guys!

I have almost finsihed my C-ARF Spitfire. After the first two successful flights I will start with the cockpit. The model is powered by a DA-85 with Sierra Precision extension and MTW muffler. The only part sticking out of the cowl is the top of the spark-plug...

BR,

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22438.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1774595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29013.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1774596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18185.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1774597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20553.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1774598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu10988.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1774599  
Old 06-22-2012, 02:23 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I used a 1/2" servo arm which was the right length for actuating the flaps for the correct amount of throw. At each point in it's movement it's either pointing to 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock preventing any binding or servo buzz. This orientation was critical in achieving the desired effect.

As far as the RCGF 15, it was a little underpowered so I fit a DLE 30 carb to it. I had done a similar modification to a RCGF 20 a while back. It required a slight modification to the reed block. I cut a tapering transition from the face that the carb bolts onto, down to zero change on the opposite side of the block. It looks like a small bowl when done. Added about 800 rpm when completed which was a big jump.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 AM
verbails

Hi Barry
I do apologize for may mistake I am the worlds worst person for getting names wrong it seems written language is no different!!!! Thank you for your reply I am happy to hear you have the same amount of ballist as me. I was beginning to think I was the odd one out many claim half the weight. My servos are in front of the cockpit but have a full cockpit and heavy pilot probably offset your rear servos.

Cheers Chris
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lifer,

I have a couple of retract servos I can use, but aren't they 180 degrees. Those flaps can barely go 45 degres. And the retract servos are not programable in order to reduce the travel. How do you make it work?

Thanks,
Harry, what brand of transmitter are you using? You should be able to adjust the travel of the flapservo in theflap section set up. My JR and Spectrum TX's allow me to adjust thetravel of the H9 Spitfire flapsevo from full up, mid (half flap 1/2 inch) and landing (full flap 1 inch). I have never used a retract servoas a flap servo so I am not sure if the retract servo'stravel can be adjusted in the flap section set up.

Roger
Old 06-22-2012, 05:09 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Futaba 7C and guys at the field told me I cannot adjust the travel for flaps.
I will review the manual and see what I can do.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Lifer

Retract servos do not have a potentiometer so there is no adjusting the throws. They move 180 degrees and then stop. I set mine up as described earlier. I have only used this technique on the Spit as the setup tends to bind. All the other setups I use convention servos and geometry.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Retract servos do not have a potentiometer so there is no adjusting the throws. They move 180 degrees and then stop. I set mine up as described earlier. I have only used this technique on the Spit as the setup tends to bind. All the other setups I use convention servos and geometry.
The Spectrum A7000 Retract Servo has adjustable end points; from the product description the following:

"The A7000 retract servo is fully proportional and endpoint adjustable for easy setup"

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ervo-SPMSA7000

Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

Great looking Spitfire!

Can you explain photo #4? It appears to be a cooling set-up coming off of the centerline air scoop.

Also can you post some photos of your DA-85 installation?

Thank you,
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Lifer

The A7000 is unique in that it is equipped as stated. I am discussing the type of retract servo that has been the standard for many years. End point to end point type.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
markhamregular

What if I wanted to eliminate the flaps all together.
I don't need it and I can save some weight of the servo hardware etc.

Would you rather cut it out or glue it to the wing? I am afraid taking it off may affect the aerodynamics of the wing.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

#76 I would use the flaps 4 sure. Lot of guys put flaps on arfs that didn't have them (me included) so you keep yours 4 free
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brother #76;
I have the H9 Spit with flaps and I know your pain!! My flap servo would buzz like crazy when the flaps was full up and down, but at mid, the buzz would be gone. I do not like the rod setup they have for the flaps. You may want to check the rod setup, because that where I found my problem. I hook up one side of the flaps at a time. When I hook up the left flap, there was no buzz at full up or down, but, when I hookup the right side, the buzz was back. I had to play with the right clevise to get it to stop. Also I found that the rods did not move the same distance up or down, but mid range, they where the same. If you want to keep the flaps on the spit, go to page #23 and do step #7 in the manual. Sorry I did not see your other post or I would have chime in. Checkout the rod setup and see if this is where your problem is. Remember, do one side at a time. I hope this help you out with your buzzing.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,
Tahfiet, I think your spitfire is fabulous. Well done!!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
markhamregular

Jet22B,

Thanks for your input. It's good to know I am not alone. I thought I did something very wrong.
About the manual, from what I read, I was supposed to make the decision about the flaps before I glue the 2 halhs of the wings.
You mean I can still do it after I glued that wing?

Thanks again,

Harry
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: tahfiet

Hi guys!

I have almost finsihed my C-ARF Spitfire. After the first two successful flights I will start with the cockpit. The model is powered by a DA-85 with Sierra Precision extension and MTW muffler. The only part sticking out of the cowl is the top of the spark-plug...

BR,

David
Beautiful. Good luck with the flight testing.

Brad
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
jet22b

Jet22B,

Thanks for your input. It's good to know I am not alone. I thought I did something very wrong.
About the manual, from what I read, I was supposed to make the decision about the flaps before I glue the 2 halhs of the wings.
You mean I can still do it after I glued that wing?

Thanks again,

Harry
Harry;
If you are taking out the flaps servo. I would glue that post in the cutout and hook the flaps to it. Please let me know if that work for you!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
albsurfer

I used a DS821 servo on them and just adjusted the linkage, and a little wire bending, until the servo didn't buzz. They were fine after that. On days when it's real calm out I like to use them because I've almost gone off the runway a couple of times without them. We have a 600' paved runway and high brush at both ends. You have trouble touching down some days within a 100' because we get thermals at the ends of the runway.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, no biggie!

Just got assigned by our flight leader, that I am brotherhood #105,

Harry, if you could still somehow make your flaps work well, consider keeping them. Landing with flaps is fun, your turns could be slower and tighter..., just opens up a ton of flying experience and possibilities, plus they look good in the air and on the ground, good luck!

Barry
Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Brotherhood, Sad news to report as another WW-II veteran Pilot heads to the heavens.

Although I never read anything till now about British Female pilots, this story is worth your time. Perhaps a "big sister" to us all as she was a SPITFIRE PILOT!

Maureen Dunlop de Popp- Orbituary
[link]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9334827/Maureen-Dunlop-de-Popp.html[/link]

Maureen Dunlop de Popp was one of 164 female pilots and, in three years with the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), she flew everything from Mosquitos, Spitfires and Mustangs to Typhoons and Wellingtons. The second daughter of an Australian who managed a quarter-of-a-million hectares of sheep farmland in Patagonia, Argentina, Maureen Dunlop was born in October, 1920, near Buenos Aires.

Whilst on holiday in England, in 1936, she took her first flying lessons.
In 1939, with the outbreak of war, Maureen saw no reason why she should not follow her father's earlier example of service, and put her pilot's license to good use.

The pilots of the ATA delivered aircraft from factories and maintenance depots to front-line squadrons. Founded in September, 1939, by Gerard d'Erlanger, with the end of the war, it was disbanded, overnight. Its 600-pilots had delivered 308,567-aircraft and many veterans believed they were, "The Forgotten Pilots."

After the war, she qualified as an instructor before returning to Argentina, where she worked as a commercial pilot. She instructed and flew for the Argentine Air Force, as well as maintaining a partnership in an air taxi company, continuing to fly actively until 1969.

A recent television documentary by BBC Four, "Spitfire Women," recounted the exploits of Ms. de Popp and her comrades in arms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw1m1, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKLL0TklxU
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKLL0TklxU[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73827.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1775679  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
jet22b

FireBee;
Very sad day to hear we lost another Spitfire Sister. We forget that we had not only women pilots that flew the Spitfire but alot of the warbirds. No they did not see combat, but they flew the planes from the factories to the fornt-line. I wish I could have sat down and talk to hear. I know she had some great stories to tell.
Thanks for the links
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 PM
mad web tv scientist

FireBee, tremendous post. Every now and then we all need a dose of reality. Sometimes it makes it a little harder to focus on the pleasurable side of our historic, scientific, and modeling activities. That said, we must press on to the mark of the high calling spreading joy, truth, and light in this present world in spite of the inevitable pain that can strike us at any time.

Since I am stressed about being "bounced" by the Fascist "Sorry . . . timed out enemy" that shoots my compositions down a lot, this is being posted now with fun and absolutely exciting stuff to be added here later. Out.

In addition to all the other fun modeling information delt with by the Brotherhood, the discussion about flaps has been especially interesting. I am practicing full flap ROG landings with my lightest slightly modified PZ Messerschmitt. With its 70% added radiator mounted flap area it is really fun in calm weather. In windier conditions, if in doubt, I either dump the flaps just before touch down or just bring the ship in with flaps up. I seem to be improving, but my main problem seems to be simple over-excitement.

PC just stopped working. Haven't had that happen for quite a while. You never know when a bogey is going to sneak up on you. It's always the one you don't see that gets you. No matter how tired your neck gets, ALWAYS CHECK SIX! THAT'S AN ORDER AIRMAN! Okay, back to modeling . . .

Once I've flown enough to settle my nerves down I'm thinking my flying skills will surely begin to show marked improvement. I am really enjoying my Spit with split adjustable flaps at almost half deflection angles. Still fast enough, maneuverable enough, but with useful slower landing speed than stock, all of this compliments of the extra thugish thrust available with a 40 Amp ESC and that beautiful APC 12X8 E killer prop.

I checked the maximum flap deflection angles on all my fighters and found that 35 - 40 degrees is about all I can get. Except for my "ponderous" HH Hawker Hurricane, flaps on my smaller ships seem to provide noticable fun effects. Before I fly the "big" HH HH again I will try to squeeze a few more degrees of flap deflection out of the beast.

Okay, now for the really unquestionably exciting flying experiences I can hardly wait to try - imagine taking a chair, a container of water and maybe a sandwitch or two along with your transmitter and Spitfire to a nice field on a plesant day and after takeoff, flying as long as you are physically able to endure. Does that sound like fun or what?

The last few times I checked, "mad thorium batteries" typed into YAHOO search brings up web viral energy technology that not only makes the above adventure possible but should change the world for good as well. If this is not exciting, surely nothing would be, therefore, ENJOY!

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416
__________________________________________________ _______
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/
__________________________________________________ ________
SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts. "mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS THIS THREAD IS NUMBER ONE FOR MORE REASONS THAN ONE! THANK YOU #1 AND THE #1 BROTHERHOOD!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

The search function on RCU is driving me nuts.

Mad Web TV Scientist:
Q: What Brand names is a ""HH Hurricane" They sound like fun!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM
mad web tv scientist

FireBee, Horizon Hobby Hawker Hurricane is what I should have said, thanks for your question. I try to document everything as carefully as possible but I missed it here. Yes, it is a fun machine. I doctored the ship up a little with a reflector mirror, a scale looking antenna, a crosshair ring inside canopy and post gunsight outside (the reflector gun sight was not working), blackened gunports and bottom of the wing shell exit ports. Added carbon fiber in weak spots, opened the control rod holes some, added straws to conduct hot air out of the back of the bottom radiator, hollowed out the exhaust stacks, tested the ship in flight with both a stock APC 13X6.5 E and an APC 15X4 E cut down to 13.25 inches; and the stock wheels were replaced by 3" dia. ones.

I love this airplane but need more landing practice.

Here is the address of the HH HH: E-flite Hawker Hurricane !!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10327020/tm.htm

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416 _

__________________________________________________ ___________
FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

__________________________________________________ ___________
SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

Spitfire Brotherhood, you are not going to believe your eyes! If you will kindly check out GOOGLE after typing "mad thorium batteries" in the search window, I hope you will see what I have been seeing since yesterday about a very special Spitfire thread.

Long live the Queen!

(little over an hour after posting the above) I couldn't believe what I was seeing for so long and just had to try to share it. I wonder if anyone in the brotherhood saw our Spitfire thread before it got shot off the number one spot on top.

Just recorded the "First of the Few" ("Spitfire") movie last night and realized this morning that I should have announced it here to alert everybody - just wasn't thinking. It is a lot more convenient to watch on TV than on the PC (previous posts on this thread show how to watch the movie on a PC). Its nice to be able to easily rerun the flight shots on TV.

Flying weather today, must break off this attack for now.

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

__________________________________________________ _______

__________________________________________________ ________
SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS Checked GOOGLE before and after church yesterday, guess what I found. My PC showed the "Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)" in a different position on GOOGLE'S SEARCH LIST than what was shown on a friend's web system. So, do we got fun or what?

PPS ATTENTION SQUADRON!
SPITFIRE BROTHERHOOD MOVES UP NEARER TO THE TOP OF GOOGLE'S SEACH LIST ON MY PC WHEN "ALL CAPS" ARE USED ON THOSE FAMOUS THREE WORDS "MAD THORIUM BATTERIES!" Does this phenomena happen on your equipment as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.