Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
ahgoodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Hi, I am Alan Goodman, President of PGRC in Maryland.
Please add me to the Spitfire Brotherhood! I am working on a PICA 88" Spit. It has the usual flaps/retracts. I am adding a sliding canopy and functional scale exhausts from jtec. ZDZ 50. Paint scheme is a MK XIX sn PM631, pru blue with invasion stripes. PM631 still exists and flies every year in the Battle of Briton Memorial Flight. Pictures of my Pica Spit will follow.
On a related note, I recently watched a movie called "The First of the Few" about Spitfire designer RJ Mitchell. Made in 1942 with David Niven. Great shots of many Spitfires.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM
albsurfer

Welcome, Alan.
Glad to hear about your project. Someday I'll get around to building a .60-.90 size, but nothing bigger. Yours sounds fantastic!

Allen
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM
mad web tv scientist

ahgoodman, it's you and modelers like you that are making this thread the greatest possible modeling experience in my life! No matter what, the Spitfire Brotherhood continues to grow and flourish regardless of "flack or fighter" opposition. I love the modeling sustaining values that are so obvious in this thread. Although I appreciate the modeling promoting possibilities with the "RTF fighters'" it is the rock solid commitment to modeling so visible here among the "big guys" that will surely make modeling an important part of a brighter future for mankind!

I owe it to the Brotherhood to build as big a Spitfire as I can possibly stand. My big Spit must be big enough to incorporate a "sound system" capable of emanating "realistic Spitfire sounds" as well as enjoy enough thrust to fly straight up from level flight and perform convincing victory rolls while flying straight up like my PZ Mk. IX can perform at any practical model altitude.

The absolutely fantastic thing about motors is their "supercharger characteristics" at altitude. They simply need only a change in pitch up from flying down on the deck. Interestingly, the twenty (20) percent pitch increase at a mile high plus altitude over where I usually fly made my RAF SE5a seem even more pleasant to fly than normal.

So, (every brave fighter pilot enthusiast on this thread knows precicely what I am going to say next) Yes, Thorium Plasma Batteries! Friends as well as foes are filled with the UNMITIGATED UTTER STARK TERROR of FUTURE SHOCK! MAY GOD HELP US!

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

____________________________________ FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

___________________________________ SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts. "mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.

PS GOOGLE IS FANTASTIC!!! Please type "mad thorium batteries" into the search window and be prepaired to get excited about the Brotherhood!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brother Goodman;
I would also like to welcome you to The Brotherhood of Spitfire!!! I am building the Top Flite Gold Edition Spirfire Mk IX kit and enjoying the build!! My I as one question about your club?? How old is it?? I ask because, I was a member of a club back in the mid 80's with the same name. I had a blast flying with them!!
Again, welcome to the Brotherhood. Glad you join us!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brothers,
Take a look at the link below.
http://spitfirespares.co.uk/reference.html
Lots of good info on the Spit's. Make sure you click on the Spitfire picture to see a very funny video of a very low fly-by.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Bretheren, if you do nothing else today you must see what I just saw on GOOGLE! I hope you can get there before it changes. Yes, type "mad thorium batteries" into GOOGLE'S search window and allow your mind to be utterly destroyed! HURRY!

Out.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome) #64 - Post #407 - Battle of Britain & Winston Churchill relevancy to modeling - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11007416

____________________________________ FIGHTERS - AVIATION'S ULTIMATE CALL TO GLORY, HONOR, AND IMMORTALITY - http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...4/CALLTOGLORY/

___________________________________ SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
hal_bert

brothers,
a few shots of my Carf spitfire....DA-85,sierra 1.75 in. prop extension,keleo exhaust,
Down and Locked electric converted sierra retracts,
Flightline graphics
tru-turn custom cut spinner,biela 24- 10 three blade propeller
has not had maiden...picture 5 and 7 is the real JH*C BM597 ..notice later stab..
walkarounds available on internet
I may add blistersto top and bottem of wing......
I had decided there was no way I could build a completely scale MKV so I used features and colors I prefered
and tried to replicate the plane I liked..there were probably MKV's with 6 port exhaust

Nigel Wagstaff of Flightline Graphics scaled all the paint masks and nomenclature to 1.433

Paint is a combination of flat krylon spray,acrylic latex and flat Krylon clear over all.....

teflon tape wrapped around exhaust tubes per Kelvin and auto heat shields

1/4 scale Premier british pilot and 1/4 scale dbalsa cockpit

handmade antenna, Hobby king guns,Robartwheels

leaving guns and antenna removable for now....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76863.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1780405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12833.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1780406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23759.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1780407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11663.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1780408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30567.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	1780409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60963.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1780410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45939.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1780411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77189.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1780412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58430.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1780413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92754.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1780414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65392.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1780415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc90974.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1780416  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hal,

Any more updates on the Spitfire?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
ahgoodman

jet22b, PGRC has been around since the sixties. Good club, good people. We have been at our current field since 1992. We have a 400' paved runway and a pavillion with two solar powered 12v charging stations for the electric guys.
We are hosting a Warbird fly-in September 16 (all sizes). hope to see some Spits there.
Link to our website: http://pgrcclub.com/Events.htm

While doing research for my Spitfire, I came across these websites.

http://spitfiresite.com/2012/01/modi...spitfires.html

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/spitfir...top-rated.aspx

The first is about the Brits strapping beer kegs under Spitfire wings to supply the thirsty boys in France during the war.
The second is Spitfire brand beer. Look at the adverts, they are great! Some are not politically correct, but they are funny as hell.

Name:	Pn37348.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1780423  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Brotherhood,

I have reengaged on my CARF Spitfire build. However due to other major projects I have going; not including trying to keep my and 1.5’s current RC planes airworthy for the season, I will be making slow progress, but keeping you updated right here on our thread.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Formerly my time spent was finding a subject aircraft to model this aircraft after. I decided on a Mk IX with U.S. markings as seen in the photo below and was gathering information when I made a baffling discovery concerning the wing panel outlines, so I went to reading a lot of Spitfire information and over educated myself on various models and their airframe differences which led to more research.

Comp ARF’s advertisement states: “CARF Models has decided to pick up an old “FiberClassics†project and revive a kit which was already designed and built in 1993, resembling a Mark V at this time. Modifications and refinements made the kit a state-of-the-art all composite Mk IX, matching precision, prefabrication and completeness with our newest creations like the CARF F4U-1D Corsair.â€
“The CARF-Models Spitfire Mk IX features a lot of design details which make building and flying enjoyable and successful:â€

Now with all of that said I discovered it would be hard to model this kit after a Mk IX, or for that matter a Mk V due to the wing panel line requirements for those model Spitfires.

Here is why; the Mk I and early Mk II Spitfires used the (a) wing. These wings housed four .303 machine guns in each wing. If you look at the upper wing panels of the CARF Spitfire you will see the 4 machine gun bays per the (a) model wing design.

Once the (b) wing was introduced these panel lines changed. Later even the later Mk II Spitfires incorporated the (b) wing due to the addition of the two 20mm cannons and this change required a raised blister over each cannon which necessitated modifications to the wing access panels. See (a) and (b) wing drawings below

Due to this discovery I decided to look for a Mk I subject aircraft. Not that it really matters because I do not compete and my flying skills out perform my building skills; and that is not saying much, but I just wanted to challenge myself on this project.

Also you will see in flyingchef’s CARF Spitfire photo he modified the wing top service by adding the cannons and blisters. Now there is the sign of a master builder. See Photo
Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Shortly after my wing panel discovery I ran into another question.

This had to do with the two radiators supplied with the kit. Neither looked like the Mk I thru Mk IX water and oil cooler radiators so the quest was on. The photos below show the silver supplied units, a drawing of the oil cooler and radiator of the Mk I, and the Ziroli Mk IX units, but they are slightly smaller than what I would like to have. I am still working on this one. The last photo is the oil cooler supplied which is a little short on length too.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
mad web tv scientist

Brethren, please look before something changes. The Spitfire Brotherhood is in the number ONE (1) spot AGAIN on Google at the moment I am typing this. Those three key words (see post signature) are the key to victory! TALLY-HO!

Out.

___________________________________ SPITFIRE EXCITEMENT! Facebook's finest hour - http://www.facebook.com/richard.porter.167 (There is a "malware" problem on either my PC or Facebook's web site as the display on Facebook is different between my PC and other web equipment owned by other accounts. It's like the action smileys and "red X" problem I have reported on other threads.) Due to the unanticipated important information about the revolutionary thorium plasma battery technology on top it is now necessary to scroll down to the "buried treasure Spitfire" posts.

"mad thorium batteries" typed in Yahoo and/or Google brings up great information about thorium plasma batteries.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

Formerly my time spent was finding a subject aircraft to model this aircraft after. I decided on a Mk IX with U.S. markings as seen in the photo below and was gathering information when I made a baffling discovery concerning the wing panel outlines, so I went to reading a lot of Spitfire information and over educated myself on various models and their airframe differences which led to more research.

Comp ARF’s advertisement states: “CARF Models has decided to pick up an old “FiberClassics†project and revive a kit which was already designed and built in 1993, resembling a Mark V at this time. Modifications and refinements made the kit a state-of-the-art all composite Mk IX, matching precision, prefabrication and completeness with our newest creations like the CARF F4U-1D Corsair.â€
“The CARF-Models Spitfire Mk IX features a lot of design details which make building and flying enjoyable and successful:â€

Now with all of that said I discovered it would be hard to model this kit after a Mk IX, or for that matter a Mk V due to the wing panel line requirements for those model Spitfires.

Here is why; the Mk I and early Mk II Spitfires used the (a) wing. These wings housed four .303 machine guns in each wing. If you look at the upper wing panels of the CARF Spitfire you will see the 4 machine gun bays per the (a) model wing design.

Once the (b) wing was introduced these panel lines changed. Later even the later Mk II Spitfires incorporated the (b) wing due to the addition of the two 20mm cannons and this change required a raised blister over each cannon which necessitated modifications to the wing access panels. See (a) and (b) wing drawings below

Due to this discovery I decided to look for a Mk I subject aircraft. Not that it really matters because I do not compete and my flying skills out perform my building skills; and that is not saying much, but I just wanted to challenge myself on this project.

Also you will see in flyingchef’s CARF Spitfire photo he modified the wing top service by adding the cannons and blisters. Now there is the sign of a master builder. See Photo

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spitfire research WARBIRDRCER. It can quickly drive you nuts if you are at all prone to mental instability! The first thing you will want to remember is that there are darn few cases where anything Spitfire related is "always" a certain way. As soon as you make such a statement somebody will undoubtedly post some information which decisively proves you wrong. A few observations regarding your post above and your build of the CARF Spitfire.

1. The color pic you posted of the Spitfire in American markings is actually a Mk.VIII rather than a Mk.IX. They are externally very similar but one very obvious difference is that the Mk.VIII features a retractable tailwheel that was not found on the Mk.IX variant.

2. The Mk.I through Mk.V Spitfires have a considerably shorter nose then the latter models. Building a Mk.I from a kit that is designed to represent a Mk.IX and making it accurate is going to be challenging. Much easier to change the wing to Mk.IX standard than to change the fuselage to Mk.I standard in my opinion. Of course, if you're not concerned about scale fidelity then it is a moot point.

3. The assymetrical radiators such as those provided with the Ziroli airplane were features of the Mk.I, II, V, and XII Spitfires. The Mk.IX and other later variants used dual symmetrical radiators such as those supplied with the CARF kit, although the ones supplied may not be accurate in size or shape.

4. The CARF airplane is also supplied with the early style elevator counterbalances which, again, were features fo the Mk.I, II, V, and XII. All but the earliest of Mk.IX Spitfires had a revised counterbalance as seen on the right in the picture below.

Unfortunately the CARF model seems to be something of a strange amalgamation of Spitfire Marks and does not really accurately portray any one in particular. Again, a moot point if scale fidelity is not an issue. If it is an issue then you may have your work cut out for you!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

Chad,

When I was researching my Spit (Mk 1a) I went to the Dayton Air Force to have a look at their MkV. They too had the wrong Stab on them. They had the later Mk IX on it.

And among other things as well.

Spits, you gotta love'em.

Cheers,

Chuck
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Chad,

Thank you for your research information. I never knew how many variations there were until I started looking at color schemes and reading for this one, and then all of these items came up. I did not know about the fuselage differences you spoke of, but will read up on it now that you have notified me on them.

My attempt, without a scratch build was to have a plane that truly represented its full scale counterpart without all of the panel line and rivet detail labor hours. Guess I fooled myself on this one. Although it is a well constructed plane that overall represents a Spitfire, or I should say a combination of Spitfires that has to present well when flown and does look good.

I hope however if novas scale builders like I embark on a project like this they will do the detailed research first before hand and make their decision to purchase their subject plane after all of the facts are known. If the knowledge from this thread will assist others; not only as it pertains to the CARF Spitfire but any build someone else is considering then the reason for starting the thread will have met its goal.

Again thank you for your feedback and please provide any other information you can for me as well as others.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
mad web tv scientist

GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS

The good news is "Spitfire Documentary BBC - YouTube" about an actual WWII Spitfire that fought in the war is beautifully restored and flown over the channel and discriptions along with impressive maneuvering is all very impressive. The interesting thing is that I was experimenting with a minimum number of words needed to bring up the Spitfire Brotherhood and Thorium Plasma Batteries. It turned out that on Google "spitfire thorium" would bring up the desired thread but not on the top spot on GOOGLE search.

It was Yahoo where I stumbled upon the fabulous documentary. The following words that might replace some in my "Post signature" words brings up the documentary and states some of our surely mutually enjoyed values: "Churchill = Spitfire, the Spitfire = Churchill. God bless them both." (Quotation marks are not used to bring up the documentary.)

The bad news is my PC does not show the same thing other web accounts show. So, it seems our enemies are still at work. It took me over an hour this evening running scans, etc. before this post could be composed here.

Out.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Chad,

Again thank you for your time in replying to my earlier post. It sparked my interest to read further in my Spitfire in action #39 squadron/signal book. Here is some of what I found.

Mk I and II: Externally identical apart of a small blister fairing over the Coffman starter on the starboard (right) side of the nose aft of the spinner.

Question: Can you help me identify this blister in a photo you may have?

Mk II – First 750 had the (a) wing, while the remaining 170 had the (b) wing.

Mk III – First significant redesign:
• Clipped wings
• Strengthened fuselage
• Retract tail wheel
• Main wheels fully enclosed by gear doors

Mk V
• Externally similar to proceeding variants, the Mk V was a Mk I and Mk II airframe with longerons strengthened for the Merlin 45 at 1470 HP.
• June 1941, Production of the Mk Va with machine gun armament was terminated in favor of the Mk Vb which had the full span wing of the Mk I and II.
• Mk Vc – Enlarged oil cooler and radiator for operations in tropical and desert climates.
• C wing: Either 4 cannons, 2 cannons plus .303 machine guns, or 8 .303’s and the landing gear was raked 2 inches forward.

Question: This sounds like there were early Mk V aircraft with the (a) wing only. Do you have any information on this version?

I found this cool that the Mk V aircraft used in the Mediterranean could carry two 250 pound bombs, one on each wing and up to a 500 pound bomb on the fuselage centerline.

Question: Do you have any documentation on one of these Mediterranean Spitfires?

All of this information came from the scanned page 11 below:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Additional Information:

Mk I 3 view, (a) wing and (b) wing, and a Mk Vb 3 view

Remember it seems the early Mk Va flew with the (a) wing also.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Spitfire Mk VI

Based on the Mk V airframes
Expanded ( c ) wing
Pressurized cockpit
Old 07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Spitfire Mk VII

First to have the 2 rectangular radiators installed
Stretched fuselage
Retractable tail wheel
Extended tips to the ( c ) wings

Spitfire Mk VIII

Basically an un-pressurized Mk VII airframe
Mk VII ( c ) wing, and apparently the extended version
Incorporated the Vokes Aero-Vee filter in a streamlined under-nose fairing

Also the Early and Late Mk VIII Tails

Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Chad,

Again thank you for your time in replying to my earlier post. It sparked my interest to read further in my Spitfire in action #39 squadron/signal book. Here is some of what I found.

Mk I and II: Externally identical apart of a small blister fairing over the Coffman starter on the starboard (right) side of the nose aft of the spinner.

Question: Can you help me identify this blister in a photo you may have?
You are quite welcome WARBIRDRCER, my pleasure. The picture below clearly shows the blister over the coffman starter on a Mk.I Spitfire. It is the tear drop shaped blister right behind the spinner.

Question: This sounds like there were early Mk V aircraft with the (a) wing only. Do you have any information on this version?
According to my sources only 94 Mk.V Spitfires were built with the "a" wing. Pictures are very scarce and the only ones I have seen are of the personal aircraft of Douglas Bader. Apparently he was very fond of the "a" wing armament and resisted converting to the cannon armed Spitfire for as long as possible. A gentleman by the name of Barry Dalwig built a jaw dropping Brian Taylor Spitfire finished as Bader's Mk.Va for which a build thread can be found on RC Scale Builder. The thread contains lots of good Spitfire technical info and is worth the time it takes to read, see link below.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...707&PN=9&TPN=1

I found this cool that the Mk V aircraft used in the Mediterranean could carry two 250 pound bombs, one on each wing and up to a 500 pound bomb on the fuselage centerline.
Question: Do you have any documentation on one of these Mediterranean Spitfires?
Documentation for the Mediterranean Spitfires should be relatively easy to come by and I'm sure I probably have some in all my reference materials. I know there have been several plastic model kits available as well which would be a good source of documentation for color and markings. Most, if not all, Mk.V Spitfires which were operated in desert climates were fitted with either the "Aboukir" or "Volks" tropical filters under the nose. I think the former looks awful but I very much like the latter. Most folks think that it ruins the lines of the Spitfire though. It does provide a source for cooling air that isn't found on other Spits! Obviously it would require some serious re-working of the CARF cowl.

Here are a couple of pics of the "Aboukir" filter equipped Spitfire.

And the "Volks" filter.

Here are a few bombed up Mk.V tropical Spitfires.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Great info Chad,

Keep it coming; I am prepping another post with what I have on the Mk IX Spitfires. Shortly thereafter I will put together some questions for the brotherhood that will assist me in determining my build direction.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

The latest addition to the hangar...147 inch Spitfire Mk. IXC (kinda). From 200 percent enlarged Claude Baskin plans, Sierra gear, ZDZ210 inline twin. Still testing props, but 6 flights so far.

Jeff

Name:	Li20855.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1781328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79824.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1781329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18782.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1781330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42644.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1781331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24649.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1781332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69922.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1781333  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Great looking Spitfire, but there is only one thing out of place.

I do not have you on our Spitfire Brotherhood roster F4u5, but if you would like I could change that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.