Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Spitfire Brotherhood (All Spitfires Welcome)

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: Phat Reliant

150, that's great to see

Just heard that Santa will be visiting the home of #126, TF Gold Edition Spitfire 60 Kit in the bag [8D]
My wife said that I had been a good chap and should have one.....
Phat Reliant;
Give you a little head-up on the TF Gold Edition Spitfire 60 kit. The wing sheeting is very thin!!! If you look back in this thread, you will see where I post on my build of this kit and talk about how thin the sheeting is. Other than that, the kit is a joy to build!! If you are going to use the scale cockpit kit that TF has for this plane, make sure you have the kit on hand so you can install the sides of the cockpit as you build the fuse!!
Good luck with your build and we want update. Also #1 and I have post build threads on the TF Spit, that was found here at RCU!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
jet22b, my son and i will be starting on our TF Gold Edition Spitfires in the near future (we are both finishing up other projects). How about changing the wing sheeting to 3/32? Would that be a better option or would that cause other fit issues? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only concern I would have is additional weight.

How are you finishing the model, because that may effect your sheeting choices.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 AM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phat, the link on the scalemodellingnow was a great site. It will help me and a friend on our WW-1 Tripehound and Bristol F2b builds.

Facia, the cockpit link is perfect. I save for use on my Comp Arf Spit. Very cool guys!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM
OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

Weight is always a concern, i guess this will be a wait and see when we get into the builds.
Good question on the finish. My son's will be built for scale competition, mine will be built for everyday flying. Obviously C.O. will need to paint his. I am still on the fence whether to paint or use film. The goal is to have the two very similar so the flying characteristics are as close as we can get them. That being said, i may end up painting as well. Neither of us have engines yet, we are still discussing that point. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 AM
ARUP

Incrementally ballast the every day fighter to resemble the heavier one in order to gain experience with anticipated higher wing loadings.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Phat Reliant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: WARBIRDRCER

Weight is always a concern, i guess this will be a wait and see when we get into the builds.
Good question on the finish. My son's will be built for scale competition, mine will be built for everyday flying. Obviously C.O. will need to paint his. I am still on the fence whether to paint or use film. The goal is to have the two very similar so the flying characteristics are as close as we can get them. That being said, i may end up painting as well. Neither of us have engines yet, we are still discussing that point. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
After reading about the weak sheeting, I am thinking about using additional sheeting on the undersides (between ribs) on the high contact areas. Will also be painting rather than covering, and using Solartex (or similar) on the control surfaces.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
WARBIRDRCER

I am thinking you are considering fiberglass for the one to be painted, although I have a friend that details out and paints monokote and many ask if they were glassed. That being said, if glass is the method, then the thinner sheeting is not an issue.

Concerning the other method, once the wing is monokoted it adds strength, but a person just needs to treat it as an open bay wing and be careful how they are ground handled.

Concerning the like flight characteristics, as stated, you can add ballast over the CG and equal the wing loading.

Concerning the weight, I have found weight is less of a factor on them when with-in reason. Some actually fly and land better with the added weight once a person learns to land with additional speed as opposed to the standard sport plane landing speeds.

Once I had a re-re-re-repaired; does that make since, Dave Platt T-28 that weighed in at 17 pounds and flew on an Evolution 26 gasser. It landed like a low altitude military drop without excessive speed to touchdown.

As for the powerplant selection, I like the DLE-20’s for gas on these size birds, and the YS110 Sports for glow. The reason for the YS selection is I do not have to be concerned about fuel tank position because of the YS pressure system. However if fuel tank position is not a factor then any quality glow engine with enough power is fine.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Hey guys I have a chance to buy a Yellow aircraft Spitfire that has everything included in it. The only draw back ( if you want to call it that ) is it has a Super Tiger 3200 in it. As far as the plane has anyone had one and what should I expect.
Thanks
DougB1
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM
jet22b

Steve & Steve;
One thing I don't know is how long the kit sat in Tower warehouse before I pick it up from them!! I sit down and went through all the wood as I lay out the parts. When I got to the wings sheeting, the wood look bad, like it was un-finish. I pick out the best plank to make the sheeting. Where I had problem at, was the center sheeting. I did the bottom first and let that dry over night. The next day, I went to turn the wing over so I could sheet the top of the wing center section, as soon as there was any weight on the sheeting, I heard cracking!!! Where I had my finger at, ( LE & TE ), there was a crack. One thing we don't know is the shelf life balsa wood. There was a guy on eBay that sold a 40 year old Red Box Top Flite P-51.
I would love to know how that wood held up after sitting on the shelf for so long!![X(] Now if are going to glass the wings like I will be doing, than I say go with the stock sheeting and be careful how you handle the wings. Now if you are going to use film to cover the model, I would go with the 3/32" balsa sheeting. It may add some weight, but, I don't think you will hear that cracking sound!! I hope this help on your build!!
Merry Xmas, Brothers!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

Doug

Get rid of the Super Tiger and put in a 50cc gasser or G62. I have had nothing but problems with the big Tigers and lost planes with flame outs; the older ones in particular. Go to the Complete Yellow Spitfire thread here and you will get all the information you need to successfully build and fly a great airplane. I have two, one with a G62 and one with a 3W60. You will need ballast up front so it might as well be engine. Best of Luck!!!!

Moggy
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
OldScaleGuy

I agree with Moggy on the engine choices for you YA Spitfire. A buddy of mine has had 2 of them and in both planes he has used Moki 1.8's. They fly ok but no extra power. The only way i found to be successful with the big ST's was with an OS 7D carburetor and an in flight needle valve control.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Run the S.T. on a test stand and see how it does, use a 18 x 8 or 18 x 6-10 prop and 5% fuel. Use either an O.S. F glow plug or a #8 plug. The suggestion to use an O.S. 7D carb with the insert removed is very good. (more power and a good idle) I use a McDaniel on board glow on my big inverted S.T.'s so no flame outs. A G62 is a great engine, but you'll have to hack up the nose on the Spitty to get it in. Having said all that, as long as the weight is around 25-28 lbs. it will fly just fine as long as the S.T. is in good shape.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi all,
after some time, which I spent by thinking what will be my next project, I decided for the Brian Taylor Spitfire 83". Maybe I would built Mk VIII and Mk IX, because I don´t now which one is nicer.

No I´m in the drawing stadium. I have to draw the all ribs of the wing and fuselage, because I want to do it by CNC laser.
Does anybody know which one cockpit kit and pilot fit best for this Spitfire?

I also thinking about the paint scheme, does anybody know some good one? Here are some my candidates.

Prekin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53096.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1827851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85868.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1827852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46056.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1827853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45298.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1827854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92787.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1827855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16716.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1827856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99863.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1827857  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
jet22b

Hi Prekin;
My vote is for the P-40 look!! I remember I was one website that had pictures of the Spitfire, ( can not remember what site it was ), and I said you put a P-40 in with the Spitfire. Now looking at one of your paint scheme candidates, what I saw was a Spit!!! I may have to go that route when I get ready to paint my TF Spitfire!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

Prekin

Bob Holman will laser cut all the ribs and he is very accurate, this will save you a tremendous amount of time. As far as paint schemes, that's the beauty of the Spitfire due to the many different schemes available. It's your choice.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I know, that I can buy some kit and all the ribs, but there are three points.

1) I have to draw it, because it is my semestral homework.
2) When I draw it in 83" wingspan, I can cut it at my school department.
3) If I want to cut it at my school department, I have to build one wing in the real scale. This is a challenge for me!

We´ve just had one damaged Merlin engine, so I hope, that I add one wing
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM
glazier808

ORIGINAL: Prekin

Hi all,
after some time, which I spent by thinking what will be my next project, I decided for the Brian Taylor Spitfire 83''. Maybe I would built Mk VIII and Mk IX, because I don´t now which one is nicer.

No I´m in the drawing stadium. I have to draw the all ribs of the wing and fuselage, because I want to do it by CNC laser.

I also thinking about the paint scheme, does anybody know some good one? Here are some my candidates.

Prekin
PM Chad Veich here on RCU. He has a cockpit kit that has to be seen to believe....I'm quite sure he has a shrink ray....lol

It's by far the nicest cockpit kit out there.

Casey
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Perkin, how are things... my vote goes to the Grey Nurse paint scheme

Cheers, Vasek
Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: glazier808

ORIGINAL: Prekin

Hi all,
after some time, which I spent by thinking what will be my next project, I decided for the Brian Taylor Spitfire 83''. Maybe I would built Mk VIII and Mk IX, because I don´t now which one is nicer.

Prekin
PM Chad Veich here on RCU. He has a cockpit kit that has to be seen to believe....I'm quite sure he has a shrink ray....lol

It's by far the nicest cockpit kit out there.

Casey
You're right there Casey! (We both have one[ ]) It was however designed for the fiber glass fuselage so will apparently need a few modifications to get it in a built up one.
Sure Chad will comment on fit.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
WARBIRDRCER

RPRCBuilder is on the move
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM
glazier808

Good to see you Brad! I've pushed my Spitfire build back until I get moved back to Hawaii. It's killn me lol...
I keep forgetting to weigh those 109 wheels, I will I promise!

Casey
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 PM
FireBee

DougB1, Go for the spit. Then like others said, your best long term solution is a 50-60 gas. My first spit (Pica 88") at 25 lbs had a super tiger 3000. Flew good scale speed etc. top of loops was a little critical. Then I put a Brison 3.2 ( 52cc) and it was then a true warbird large loops and faster fly bys.

My buddy (AeroFalcon) has a full tricked out yellow spit mk-14 with a DA-50. It never misses a beat. Good top end speed, all maneuvers are crisp and lands like on rails.

R, mike
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
FireBee

Prekin, your project sounds great.

Do not pick this one, it is my future Spit mk-IX.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55967.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1828031  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM
tclocs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F6xhgDV3VA[youtube]
Not the maiden but finallt got some video of it. Enjoy !!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM
jet22b

#1,
RPRCBuilder is doing a great job. The wings look good. Please let us know if he has any problem with the sheeting being to thin!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.