Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 60 size ME109F- FINALLY!!!

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

No, I'm not joking at all. When Magnum RC was still selling Lado struts, they were about $18 each. Hobby King has some very nice units for 60 sized planes for even cheaper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Class_2pc.html

Maybe the special angle of the axles that the E-Flites come with would make it worth the cost, but it's just not worth it to me when you have to pay $160 + $90 = $270 for retracts that really aren't that robust. They need to work on the trunion design.
They need to work on the limit switch design as well. IMO those things are not worth the space they occupy in my shop!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The retracts for this plane won't be available until the end of April..Maybe by then the bugs have been worked out...Kit will be available in a couple of weeks...As for the engine,will wait until I get the kit and make my choice then...Going thru my LHS..will keep you posted on this kit and retracts...have already ordered the oleo struts....should be getting them soon....
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 AM
JazzboneCuit

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

The retracts for this plane won't be available until the end of April..Maybe by then the bugs have been worked out...Kit will be available in a couple of weeks...As for the engine,will wait until I get the kit and make my choice then...Going thru my LHS..will keep you posted on this kit and retracts...have already ordered the oleo struts....should be getting them soon....
Craig Greening(HHemployee) posted on the other sites forums that the retracts/struts will be available when the 109 ships...
Here's hoping there's no setbacks..

Jazzbone

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
vertical grimmace

Maybe a DLE 20 or the new 10cc gasser from Evolution?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a 10cc would b enough to fly it. This was asked on rcg and the answer was a 14cc is marginal
, but the 17cc would b fine
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM
ESSAR

Check this out! This thing looks good in the air, I especially like it with the flaps down on landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9i4...layer_embedded#!

Andrew.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

Are the retracts for this plane a special design, or are the just the standard E-Flite 85 degree 60-120 sized retracts with a special strut? If they're just the same old hardware, see above for comments.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

The EFLG509 retracts and EFLG510109 struts are built specifically for this kit. That means an 81-degree extension angle and struts that place the axle at the proper angle.

There is some work that's been done to improve the robustness of the unit, but not the complete redesign you seem to want. We are happy with their performance.

Evolution 10GX isn't enough power for this bird, unfortunately.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

The EFLG509 retracts and EFLG510109 struts are built specifically for this kit. That means an 81-degree extension angle and struts that place the axle at the proper angle.

There is some work that's been done to improve the robustness of the unit, but not the complete redesign you seem to want. We are happy with their performance.

Evolution 10GX isn't enough power for this bird, unfortunately.
Has there been anything to improve the design of the surface mounted limit switches that tell the motor to stop at the extremes? Vibration literally shattered the ones I had in my Pica FW 190. It only took one day at the field for this to happen. Needless to say I was quite disappointed. Maybe they are not suitable for gas or glow power. Maybe electric?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: David

Well, it's not so much a matter of what I want but rather what is needed for the units to live when used according to the advertised specs. There seems to be a consensus on the this forum that they are not capable of being reliably used on planes that get close to the top of the advertised weight range (15 lbs). I can personally attest to that. I had them on a CMP 109 that weighed 14 lbs and the trunions snapped twice on gentle landings. Either the advertised weight needs to be dialed back or the design needs added robustness. That's all I'm saying. It seems like the hardware is capable of doing well on 60 sized planes, but then the electrical issues come up. Anyway, I hope the design changes are beneficial. I'm always in the market for affordable electric retracts that just work without exception.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
vertical grimmace

If it were me, I would just use Robarts. My spring down have worked perfectly. That is what I used to replace my Eflites.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Am settling for the kit (BF-109) from Hanger 9 and the electric retracts ( 81 degrees retracts) from Eflite..Also going to put a Saito -125 4 stroke in it.....hoping the plane will be here either this week end or next week some time....Just finished up a BH- JU-87 Stuka....Have a Magnum 120 -4 stroke in it...also a 'Peter Bomb" to drop.....More info later......
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM
kahloq

I have the bh stuka also. I put a saito 180 in it so I could spin a graupner 16x8x3 fat blade prop
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Jimmy Bananas

WOW..I believe that the Saito 180 might be too much for the Stuka...But like the old saying goes...better to have too much, then not enough....Good luck kahloq...........
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM
kahloq

Definitely not too much. The point of it is to spin the big heavy graupner 16x8 3 blade. Looks closer to scale then a master aircrew
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 AM
barnesjonr

I have been building flight time on mine as a part of a review I am doing for FlyRC magazine. It is electric and I am using the Spektrum AR635 receiver as Dave E mentioned. Several comments made here in regards to sensible throttle management during the take-off roll are very astute in my opinion. The take-off and landing on the maiden flight were picture perfect. I so wish we would have had the video camera in-hand instead of the still camera. I have had less than perfect take-offs since but nothing extreme or unmanageable. I opine that three or four things can help tame aircraft with narrow gear position, like the 109:

1) Proper throttle management. I notice many pilots perform take-offs by just instantly fire-walling the throttle. THAT technique will get you behind the curve almost every time. Slowly easing into the throttle and keeping that rudder hand on high alert for subtle corrections until the aircraft builds a little ground velocity is a much better approach.

2) I like to practice and tune up my tail dragger, narrow stance gear skills using a smaller, inexpensive foamy aircraft BEFORE taking the sticks of a "heavy metal" war bird like the H9 109. I fly it off a paved or hard pack surface for the ultimate challenge. The time spent practicing with a more inexpensive model that you are not too anxious about damaging will pay off.

3) Just like the real German pilots who typically flew off of grass airstrips back in WW II, I fly off of a grass strip if at all possible. The grass helps dampen out any tendencies for the model to wander or oscillate on the roll out.

4) The new Spektrum AR635 with integral A3SX stabilization technology can help also. Is it necessary to fly this plane? I don't think so. I have yet to fly my 109 on a standard receiver, though I hope too soon. At that point, I may be able to accurately comment on the real effects that the AR635 has on the yaw stability of the 109. But the possibilities offered by this new receiver when it comes to helping tame some of the challenges long offered up by certain scale models is certainly interesting IMO.

You may be able to sniff out a few more photos of the Hangar 9 109 on my HDFlyer.com Facebook page. Pick up the May 2013 issue of FlyRC when it hits the newstands to see the full review article.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Bryan McLarty

Good looking 109! I really applaudHorizon for having the guts to bring thisto market, especially an airframe that requires some specialty landing gear. I sincerely wish you guys all the best of luck with it.

However, I don't understand the decision to go to all the trouble of making a plane this nice only to put the Balkenkreuz on the tail. ***?!? As well as being totally inaccurate historically, it makes those of us wanting to put on our own correct marking a big ordeal. Why not just leave it off entirely and keep the area blank? Was that one of those things that the factory guys said, "Well, we thought..."

Hey, Mr. Redman... Still saying that Horizon will never, ever, ever, EVER bring out a Zeke like this?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
barnesjonr

Bryan,
FWIW, the small iron crosses on the vertical stabs do not come factory applied. They are included on a small sheet of graphics that are applied by the end user. Other graphics that are included on this sheet are the green hearts and the squadron insignias. 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 AM
kahloq

Yup....Horizon reps have already stated if the end user wants swastikas for historical accyracy, you can get them from Horizon. However, they cannot SHIP the plane to certain countries with a Swastika on the plane or in the box. Hence why it isnt included in the kit in some countries. Germany is one of those places it is illegal to display the swastika unless its museum or historically represented(and a r/c plane is a grey area)
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Got the kit yesterday from my LHS...Retracts are on the way...hopefully in a couple of days...also got the oleo struts for the LG..the swastika's are in the kit..Will get to it and start taking pics of it after I rebalance the Stuka...Going to put a Saito 125 4 stroke in it...Give me a couple of days and then I' start working on it.....Have ordered a german pilot from KMP...Will keep everyone posted...
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Bryan McLarty

Got bent out of shape for no reason! My apologies and good news!
Now get on with the Chlorophyll...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Bryan,

Glad you like the 109. And yep, I am going to hold my position that they will probably never, ever, EVER bring out a Zeke like this. Sad day as I love the Zero, but I doubt you will see it.

Maybe the boss is reading and will prove me wrong.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

I have to address the big white elephant in the room...

will there be a 50CC version?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Bryan McLarty

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Hey Bryan,

Glad you like the 109. And yep, I am going to hold my position that they will probably never, ever, EVER bring out a Zeke like this. Sad day as I love the Zero, but I doubt you will see it.

Maybe the boss is reading and will prove me wrong.

Kinda what I thought...
Thanks anyway and good luck with this one, John!

BMc

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
kahloq

The next plane Hangar 9 should come out with would be a 60 size Fw-190 D9. And then...do another twin. Since they have the B-25, H9 should do a Junkers JU-88

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.