Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

I had a member send me a PM saying that Wing Span retracts would work on this plane. Went to Magnum RC and then Wing Span site. Said they were rated to 10 lbs. I e-mailed Michael at Wing Span. He says they are rated for 10 lbs. Will not hold up to the expected weight of the ESM Hellcat of 16-17 lbs. Expects to have a version for larger models in a few months. It looks like Sierra air retracts are the only option if I don't want to screw with ESM gear..
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maidened today.  WAiting on a flying buddy to upload the video. Take off is typical of a warbird.  Initial right rudder but I did not seem to have to add as much as my big zero or other tail draggers.  I slowly ramped up the throttle.  At about half throttle the tail lifted and at about 3/4 throttle she broke ground. Well this airplane flys really nice.  Stalls are predictable and if recoved with proper control inputs it's no big deal.  In truns stalls drop the high wing.  Flap stalls tend to roll to the left.   I was amazed at the slow flight ability before stall with this airframe. 

I did replace the manufacturer's pull pull cables before flight as I noticed that they were begining to fray with just a few control movements setting up the plane.  The dubro 4-40 pull pull system is real nice and the nylon coated cables should last much muh londer than the chinese mystery metal included with the kit. 

Absolutely no wind today.  I do prefer a bit of wind down the runway to help slow during landings and I typically like to land on the mains and keep some speed to aviod any chance or stall.  With the ESM hellcat it was a non-issue and my landing on my second flight was an easy 3 point touchdown.  The Hellcat was super stable in the air,  as most of my warbirds trim changed with the flying speed range.  It did take quite a few clicks of left rudder for straight flight.  I am wondering if my engine incedences are too much. 

Flew twice today and would have flown quite a bit moe but there were a ton of novices at the field and all the ducking and flight behind the pits was enough for me to prove the airplane would fly nicely and then pack it up. 

I am a bit shocked that this plane is not owned by more people on this forum and even the youtube results are quite dismal.  Might be that it is only 72 inch wing span (I origionaly wanted a 80inch ME-109, but troy built was out and out of the gear too).  I settled for the hellcat and Im really glad I did.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: RBean

I had a member send me a PM saying that Wing Span retracts would work on this plane. Went to Magnum RC and then Wing Span site. Said they were rated to 10 lbs. I e-mailed Michael at Wing Span. He says they are rated for 10 lbs. Will not hold up to the expected weight of the ESM Hellcat of 16-17 lbs. Expects to have a version for larger models in a few months. It looks like Sierra air retracts are the only option if I don't want to screw with ESM gear..
I got sierras from VQWarbirds. The sierras are super nice and robust. Think they were no more than the ESM electrics. I was hoping for ESM electrics as well but they were and I think they still are on backorder for the hellcat. Cant go wrong with the sierra gear. I installed all the components in the belly pan of the plane. This might be why I had to add a bit of nose weight more than seems to be the norm. (from communicating on the web with people I found that many had added about 2.2 pounds of nose weight on average). I ended up with adding 2.6 pounds.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have experience with the Hellcat but I put two SR Batteries 3000mAh NiCds mounted to the cowl at the 10 and 2 o'clock position in the cowl of the 74" ESM Corsair. This allowed for easy access to the ring mount screws. In order to have a strong setup I used BVM V-Poxy and fiberglass to attach the ringmount to the cowl.

The battery mounts are G10 glued to the inside of the cowl with Permatex Red Silicone. I attached the batteries to the G10 with velcro straps and a strip of 1/4 inch DuBro foam between the G10 and the battery. I have attached a photo where you can see one of the batteries in the cowl. This added 2 lbs of weight right where it was needed. I still had to add some lead to the inside front lip on the cowl.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52487.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	1860548  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM
BubbasanJohn

Looks good. For my set up I could not do that as the cowl shape is different and i Don't care for nicads or nickelmetal.  How do you like the ESM corsair?  What do you have for engine?  

Would be awesome if Troy built would do a 80 inch or larger hellcat. Don't misunderstand,  I love my current hellcat, I would prefer if it was imac legal. 
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
BubbasanJohn

Here is a link to the video shot by my friend.  He did a great job working with a new camera.  This clip shows a bit of some stall testing and some general flight. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WquSHcrS0Sk
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
BubbasanJohn

and the landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyu7CPWhMcY
Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM
RBean

BabbasanJohn, from your report and the video it looks like it is a good flying airplane. I wanted to wait until I went to the flea market at Lebannon, PA. Didn't find anything I couldn't leave without, so I'm going to order the plane and landing gear. I've already got everything else. I have to decide between VQ Model and Troy Built. I've heard some not so good things about Troy Built. I'll call Thomas at VQ and find out how much shipping is and if he will give me a discount if I buy both the plane and Sierra gear from him. So you think the G38 at 70 oz wtg will be ok? What is the total weight of your airplane?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
BubbasanJohn

Rbean, Glad to hear you are going to go for it.  I have not put this puppy on a scale to find out its all up weight.  I got my gear from VQ, Thomas is a good guy.  Troy built is kinda steep on shipping and I tend to order from them if I cant get stuff from more reasonable vendors.  I beleive that the g38 and its heavy weight will really help in the balance of this plane.  I had to reinfoce my cowl ring a bit after the first two flights as the weight in it was causing the prop to rub a slight bit on the cowl.  Could have been disasterous.   Nothing but high praise for the flight characteristic of the ESM Hellcat.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 AM
tevans55

ORIGINAL: BubbasanJohn

Looks good. For my set up I could not do that as the cowl shape is different and i Don't care for nicads or nickelmetal. How do you like the ESM corsair? What do you have for engine?

Would be awesome if Troy built would do a 80 inch or larger hellcat. Don't misunderstand, I love my current hellcat, I would prefer if it was imac legal.
I am using the DLE 35RA in the Corsair. If you need nose weight (lots) the SR Batteries is 3000 mAh pack is nearly perfect at 15 ozs each. Think of it as "lead with lots of milliamps". I understand the impedence issues of nickel metal in a plane this size. SR Batteries don't ever have to be cycled and give you a redundant system with the weight you need. I looked at the cowl for this plane in Perry GA and it looked to be about the same size as my corsair. It looked like the batteries would fit with a DLE engine. Just a thought...Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ESMhellcat is pretty much the same as the CMP hellcat that was around a few years ago, same size wing and all. I flew mine on a 26cc gas engine around 13 lbs. I would think anything bigger would be over kill. I have another one that I dedcided to cut the wing down 6" to make it more scale and addedscale flaps. stilla work in progress.The fuselage is 1/8 scale but the wing was thewrong size. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I think the ESM plane is significantly different than the CMP plane. The fuse and wing are both to the same scale, as opposed to the CMP plane as you said. The ESM plane will also weigh significantly more. The CMP plane was more like a large 60 sized plane. The ESM is true to it's "120" sized description.

The CMP Hellcat may have flown great on a 26, but the ESM will do much better on a 30 or a 35. Some of us are putting 50s on them since they need the nose weight anyway.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
BubbasanJohn

Thanks tevan55.  

I agree the cmp and ESM are not similar. No way that ESM is flying well with anything less
Than a 30ccer. Wish I would have thought about using a 50cc engine. Anyway it's done and I'm pleased with how this bird flys. Here is another video of my new hell kitten ( hahah). Landing looks like I we t off the runway into the cratered pasture but I was
Able to save it with rudder and kept it in the rough rather than hitting the landing gear destroying out of bounds area. My buddy took the clip. Too bad he did not take the next flight. I greased that landing.  really   I am cautions about landing too
Slow with warbirds. I keep forgetting that this plane slows really well and with flaps is a breeze to land. 

Rbean, I will get to weighing before weeks out. 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
BubbasanJohn

A few stills from today

Name:	Ay75873.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1861454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88506.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1861455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29156.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1861456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39616.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1861457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77284.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1861458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf17136.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1861459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh47113.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1861460  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Looks great! Nice work.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
tevans55

Beautiful job on your plane. The ESM planes sure do look nice when you repaint them and make them your own.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Looks great! Nice work.
ORIGINAL: tevan55

Beautiful job on your plane. The ESM planes sure do look nice when you repaint them and make them your own.
Thanks Gents. I could not stand to see one more blue hellcat. I love the blue hellcats but their are so many of them, like corsairs, I just had to personalize. The ESM planes do take to paint quie well. Use K-Mark spray paint and some vynal decals I made on my laser printer (rondeles and Flags, numbers and flags on tail). Painting the invasion stripes was a royal pain in the rear. Didnt want to get them perfect as in real life the were hurriedly painted on and far from exact.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
BubbasanJohn

RBean, how is your hellcat progressing?

Although mine balances according to plans, actually it is forward a touch given TBM's recommendation of CG on esm models. After a bunch of flights I am going to start removing nose weight. Plane handles fine now in the air although inverted flight requires a ton of elevator to maintain level flight. I am also finding that I am running out of elevator control on landing which is a classic sign of a nose heavy airplane. While manageable with speed, it's something I want to correct. I must say even in the given configuration, this model is quite forgiving. I've had a few hairy dead sticks and this hellcat did not throw in the towel. She allowed for some high g maneuvers that would have sent my other big warbirds tip stalling to the ground. Really enjoying this model.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I traded a model for the F6F from a club member that had already started the kit. So I ended up taking it as far apart as I could and started my build. I see most you folks are using 30~35cc gas engines...and I received this model with a RCGF 26cc engine. I was told it will fly with this engine and I will know soon enough if it will need replacing. I'm installing a 10 channel Airtronics Rx and HD 1501 MG servo's all around-with the throttle servo a Airtronics 94102. I have two 3500ma receiver batteries in the nose area, inside the fuse, and a 2000ma ignition battery for the engine...tucked up next to the other batteries. I have Sierra landing gear, with my air tank, Robart Low tank pressure-gear down safety unit, air valve & retract servo mounted on the center part of the wing. I've a RCEXL Tx ignition off unit installed and an Eagle Tree 2D/3D auto pilot going in. I was also given scale metal hub main landing gear wheels with the model, so I've all the gear on hand, or inbound. I plan on using a 16x8 three blade Master Airscrew prop and dome style spinner I picked up from Magnum RC-Magnum also sells ESM models and yesterday had one set of F6F electric landing gear on hand.

Everything is mounted as far forward as I could, keeping the tail as light as possible. I was told by Troy Built Models to balance the F6F at 25% cord...and to toss the manuals balance point and go from there. I was also told the model Gross Weight will usually comes in at near 18#. What did your F6F gross weight come out to?

This is my second gas engine model, and I've been in RC for longer then I want to remember...but gas engines rock.

I thought about mounting my ignition box, and batteries up in the cowl area, but concerned about the heat and vibration issues with these electronic units. If I did mount my gear in the cowl, I will move this about 3" further forward. Right now every thing is mounted just behind the fire wall.

Its nice to find this thread...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Me410

BubbasanJohn:

When you repainted your ESM Hellcat, how far did you have to sand? Did the stock markings peel off or sand off? I know the ESM birds WING are covered with what seems to be a clear plastic type iron on, and then painted. I assumeyou did not remove the covering off the wing and glass, prime, paint?

The glass fuse handled different than the wing?

thanks for the info, I have a ESM that has some damage and repaint required.

Tom
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bob,  
I mounted my ignition module in the cowl.  After many flights, it is a non issue.  It is mounted under the engine (when plane is on its legs).  When I went to balance mine, it took 2.6 pounds to balance 10 millimeters more forward than the ESM instructions.  After flying it for a while Im going to start pulling out lead as it is a bit too nose heavy. At this point i need to keep speed up on landings and if not careful I run out of elevator.  Typical of a nose heavy bird.  I took troy builts advice and made the cg forward but at this point it is too far froward.  My hellcat comes in at 21 pounds.  Sierra gear, DLE 35RA, and troy builts battery system with dual packs for birds to 60cc.  Love the redundant nature of this set up with the hidden switch, regulator and optical kill.  Oh and a 14 oz rototank, that I love!!!   i would try to get everything you can as far forward as possible.  I tried to mount my batteries in the cowl area, but scrapped that as it was hard to fit the cowl regardles of where I put my liion packs.  I did also mount my sierra tanks and all in the belly pan of the hellcat and adapted it so the end closest to the tail is held on by rare earth magnets allowing me to get to the filler valve and pressure gague. 

Me410,
I just spray painted over the existing plane.  Did not sand a thing.  Fuse and wing took the paint real well.  I did peel of a few of the stock decals only because they were coming up.  The cowl with the the sharks teeth detail was just painted over and it was not a problem either. 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay BubbasanJohn,
I've picked up a new carb for my RCG 26cc engine off of E-bay and I will remount my ignition module up forward on the fire wall, above the engine. My cylinder points down, when the model is on its legs and no way to mount it under the engine. If I also mount the ignition battery with my ignition module...will the nickel battery take the heat ok? I'm just learning about gas engines...and been a nitro guy for over 50 years...but I do like the ease of running these gas engines.

If I am not able to get my RCG 26cc engine to run better then my RCG 20's...I'll junk the engine and go with a 30~36cc gas engine.

I literally hate adding lead to a model...and I pray I don't have add to much to this model. Time will tell.

I am due to get my landing gear back from Sierra this week, then it will go in. My model will not have a Troy Built dual battery system box, but I will have a Airtronics 10 channel Rx, and it has dual battery inputs. I will have dual on/off switches for the receiver and I have a 14oz. Rototank in mine too...great tanks, though a bit on the expensive side.

I received my second Rx 3300ma battery from Magnum last night, and I will be "form charging" this unit and installing it, into the model. To be honest...I can't believe all the wires I have to connect on this model, to hook every thing up.

Enclosed is a diagram of the wiring on my ignition system...any comments?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Xv64118.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1875622  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
RBean

Bob, saw your post. I have number of gas engine planes with the batteries in the cowl for CG purposes. I built platforms out from the firewall. If one is over the muffler, put some plywood between the battery and the muffler. I have had some for several years and have had no issue. It helps if there is good airflow through the cowl. I tried to send some pictures but it didn't work tonight.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
RBean

The picturess uploaded this time. Zero and Neiuport 28. Both with short noses and needed all the weight up front.

Name:	Wu60069.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1875672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50795.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1875673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd84009.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1875674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38159.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1875675  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,

The hellcat is a very short nose Warbird... it's probably going to take some significant weight (accordingly to size) to balance.

ESM planes are a great starting point. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you will be happy in the end. A little extra weight probably won't hurt in those trade winds eh?

Casey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.