Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM F6F Hellcat Info?

Bob, looks good to me.  I also must agree that you will need some extra weight besides the batteries in the cowl if you can make them fit.  I am running liion packs from troy built and just could not get the cowl to fit with the batteries there.  This does not mean that you will not be able to accomplish it as I lack in building skills.  You will love the way it flies once you get it all squared away. 

As glasier808 posted it did take a fair amount of lead to balance.   I think I must have one of the heaviest esm hellcats flying, but it handles the weight well and flies just fine with the extra balast.  Now if I can get get a grip on the torque that the 3 blade prop I started using on take off.  I think I am going to have to increase rudder throw from the plans.  While the rudder is fine in flight during take off and landing the rudder does seem a bit uneffective at recommeded throws on landing and take off.  Recommended throws are fine for ME with a two balde prop, but not with a 3.  Could just be me however, but I am not new to flying heavy metal. 

Please keep us posted here on your progress. 

RBean, how is your hellcat progressing?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay BubbasanJohn,
Thanks for the information, and I plan on using hardware store steel "L" brackets for support...and since I will be needing weight...I'll make sure I get nice strong brackets. I do plan on using two 2000ma batteries for the ignition, and I should be able to get everything forward on the fire wall...at least I'm gonna try.

I've three battery volt meters, my pneumatic tank pressure gauge, RPM gauge and Tx ignition off light, all tucked into the cockpit.

This model was kicked around for a couple of years or more between several modelers, before it landed into my hanger. It has a lot of hanger rash...but I do plan on doing some touch up painting. The only real issue I'm not happy with, is the rudder. The guy who installed the rudder was very impatient and its not on straight or true...God Bless...it has enough gap between the rudder and vertical stab, to fly a squadron of B-17's through it. So I may need to cut my rudder off and redo it. I've had real good luck with CA hinges...but I may go with Robart hinges, but not sure. I guess it all depends on what kind of justice I have for installing CA or Ropart hinges on the vertical stabilizer.

I'm still waiting for my Sierra retracts to return and get them installed. The wing is like the fuse...lots of hanger rash. The installation of the retract bays are not clean-more like butchered...but I will do my best to clean it all up and get her flying. This model has been a challenge for me, but by all the gods...she will fly.

I'm surprised that the F6F has not been modeled more, for it made more Aces then any other fighter aircraft during WWII. It's not as pretty as the P-51 (which I have three-2-B's and 1-D), but there has not been many kits or ARFs of the model. Its nice to hear that this is a good flying bird...and I'm looking forward to flying her.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65799.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1875993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18650.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1875994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64219.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1875995  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,
Looks like the previous owner did not even trim the canopy correctly to sit on the fuse.  The ARF had robart hinge style hinges in the kit but I replaced them with real robart hinges.  Be sure to check the pull pull cables to the elevator and rudder too.  If he used the origional kit supplied cables they will quickly fail as they are very cheap soft wire. 

I too am surprised that the hellcat is not more modeled.  I for one love the p-51 but I do not have any desire to own one.  Can see many when ever I hit a flying field.       I think the hellcat is beautiful.  Essense of power and might.  

Think we sould start a hellcat brotherhood like the spitfire and other plane threads.  We might be low membership, but we would be part of a small select group!!

Would love to see more shots of the hellcat all beat up and when you have her buffed out. 

Bubba
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba,
That was my nick name up in Alaska, when I was flying there...it was bestowed on me by a couple of real southern gentlemen...of questionable repute.

I changed out the rudder cables after I received the model-for they were broken, but the elevator cables are stock...I think. The rudder cables were a mess and unusable and since I had a new set from Sullivan on hand...installed them. The elevator cables are so deep into the rudder area...it would be a real !#$%& to change them...doable...but a real beast to accomplish. Since I never saw the kit box or what was supplied by ESM in the kit, I have no idea of what was given to assemble the model. All I received was the model, with the wings joined and a very poor install of the Sierra retracts. The only thing I could do was disassemble the model as much as I could...and start over, with what I knew works. Several different modelers in our club worked on this kit, all managed to get frustrated with the build and just turned the airframe into a dust collector. When I found out no one wanted to build the model...and wanting to do an ESM WWII fighter build, I traded for the kit.

I know I need to recut the canopy...that's on my list, but for now I want to get all my electronics installed and working properly. I will also have a dozen or so holes to fill in, that two modelers drilled in the fuse, to hold the canopy down with. Lots to do and this is not your typical Great Planes ARF. Then it will be on to the retracts and once they are in and up to standards, get the engine properly set up with the ignition and ignition batteries up forward of the fire wall. Last I'll make her look pretty...but I understand why so many gave up on this ARF. Since I started building Top Flight WWII fighter kits in the mid 70's, with a couple of Royal and Stanford kits thrown in for good measure...this is not a tough build...one just needs a bit of patience and a steady hand.

Is there enough meat in the vertical stabilizer to install Robart hinges? If there is good balsa there...I'll remove the rudder and properly install it with Good Ol' Gringo Robart hinges.

There was at least two different gas engines installed onto this airframe before I got the kit. The fire wall looked like a sieve and I drilled out the holes, plugging the holes with hard wood dowels. I may need to do this again if I am unable to get this RCG 26cc engine to sing for me. If I do change it out...I'll go with a DLE 35cc engine. But for now...I'm going to see what I can do with this current gas engine.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Db84884.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1876048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75905.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1876049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79960.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1876050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23118.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1876051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40132.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1876052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94914.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1876053  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,   Alaska, beautiful country.

Think it would be very important to change the elevator cables.  I know it is tight.  I installed the ESM cables and then after 1 flight I could see wear that was quite shocking where the wire went around the hole in the elevator control horn.   I changed them for sullivan pull pull cables.  What I did was to use long forcips to remove the old cable after cutting it close as possible to the horn and then carefully thread the cable thru the hole in the horn and clamp the two cables together close to the horn.  There is no way to get a clevis in there for a standard set up and on my kit the hole drilled on the horn was too small for a clevis of any reasonable size.  Take off the accesss cover to the tail wheel and with the right tools you can do it.  I would hate to have the rudder fail in flight, but the elevator would be disaster. 

My vertical stab had some hard wood fiberglassed in so yesif there was no factory mistakes there should be plenty of material for hinges.  I just a small size.  Cant remember which now.  I bet when you cut off your stab you will be able to see the robart style hinges used and the size you will need. 

Troy built models has the manul on their site if that helps. http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...MF6F-72AAF.pdf

I would be real curious to see how the 26 pull this airframe.  As I said before mine is a lead sled so good thing I have the 35cc.  Sierra gear is awesome for this bird.  Large and robust.  Really takes my carrier style landings well.  Damn club members wont let me stretch an arrester cable across the runway, but I slam her into the deck just to show off.     I did not beef up the gear rails and this is the first arf that I have had that has taken a good pounding on the gear with out needing reinforcement. 

Would love to see some video of yours flying too when you are done.  Not too much on youtube on this plane. 
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba,
I went and bought a PTE36R today and its going into the F6F. After much thought and what I've come to understand on this bird...its not to smart to under power this model. Especially at our flying field...with the trade winds, gusts and cross winds we get.

Our flying field at Pu'unene, was the Black Sheep squadron's WWII revetment area during WWII and we have a great field, with lots of over runs. But the trade winds are quite regular @10~20 kts and with the wind blowing over the revetments on final approach...with a Kona wind...believe me...things can get real interesting on landing. Power will save you if your not to far back on the power curve...and I learned long ago, to add a bit more punch to the model, to keep it safe longer. They all go in aventually...at least mine do, but all I need is a high wing loaded WWII fighter to land, with marginal power reserve...to add to the moment.

I'm going to replace the elevator cables...but not looking forward to the job. But the last thing I want to do is lose elevator control and see this F6F meet its maker. Thanks for the heads up on the kit supplied pull/pull braded wire.

I also enclosed a picture of my kit built Slow Poke, on final, to our Pu'unene flying field. Its a pretty place to fly and ever so often the wind gods give us no wind at all...and every body over shoots their landings...and ever once in a while, manages a squeaky smooth wheel landing.

My airframe did come with the manual supplied with the kit (thanks for the info)...its not the best one I've ever seen...but does give one direction to the important parts.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Us52518.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1876282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85183.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1876283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60903.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1876284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91705.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1876285  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
BubbasanJohn

Hey Bubba Bobby, Ive spend some time on Maui.  My favorite island in the chain.  I had many a full scale flight that had very intersting landings due to those winds.   Talking multi turbo props with 45 degree crab landings due to the trades.  Fun stuff.   If I remember it all really gets blowing in the afternoon around 2-3pm.  There is nothing like a gentle ocean breeze and the sound of the surf bleating out a rythmic drone to restore the soul!

Glad to hear on the engine and cables.  Didnt want to tell you what to do, but I have to agree that power is life.  I have had 2 deadsticks with my hellcat.  One because I had the vent line too long and it came in contact with the muffler and melted closed. I was way out of position, low and about ready to mess my shorts.  Fortnunately, this bird does respond well if you keep your wits.  I traded what little altitude I had to retain airspeed and made a high g turn for the runway.  Think the hellcats wing design helped prevent stall and I was able to get the sierras down and made a bouncy but safe landing on the tarmac.  The other time I had a deadstick I had to make a very high g turn to make safe territory and she performed flawlessly.  I really beleive that the wing again saved me from having to buy a replacement.  I fly around at about 1/3 to1/2 throttle, you can see in my videos.  Take offs do not just leap off the ground as with some plane/engine combos but with a 35cc it should be quite easy.  I also beleive that yours will come in much lighter than mine because Of the placement of my components and lead.

Your slow poke looks sweet.  Beatiful field with some history!!!   Enjoyed the hellcat art too!  Cant wait to see your flying!

Bubba

Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba,
Yep, the trade winds can give you lots of cross wind landing practice at our flying field. One of the more unusual things that happens here, is that you can ware out your tires if you do a lot of practice landings. Because of the winds at our field, I practice a lot of touch and goes, and I've warn out tires...even good Robarts with foam inserts. The cheap Chinese foam wheels never last more the a few landings and some tires can even break the hubs, because the foam or rubber bends over the hub on good cross wind landings. Paradise ain't perfect...but we usually have 30+ miles visibility...and on a good day 100+ miles, with clear blue skies. I came here to Maui after I departed South East Asia...and though I ended up flying all over the planet...here, is where I always called home.

As you can see in the pictures, the rudder has a large gap and its also miss aligned on to the vertical stab. Some one got real impatient and really cut up the landing gear wheel wells, also cut four large square holes in the top of the wing (for servo wires and pneumatics), and repainted the bottom of the wing...spray painting over everything. I'm about ready to pull the control horns too, for I can't find any kind of clevis to fit properly through the horns and connect to the servo (they look like Robart control horns...but not sure-everything with them is plastic). The flight controls on the wing don't quite line up...anywhere, but I may just let this go for now. As you can see...there is a lot of rework to do.

The HD 1501 MG servo's seem to work ok with my Airtronics -3 10 channel receiver. I was concerned, but now feel they may be ok to use. I purchased the servo's through Troy Built Models, as well as the engine. I am also wondering about the batteries I'm using for the Ignition control unit. It states to use 4.8~6 volts. Since I use a 5 cell battery, do I need to use a voltage regulator on the ignition module batteries, to keep voltage under 6.0 volts?

I've been busy with my family this week, for my Step Dad and Mom showed up...kind of unannounced from Carmel, California. But I will be doing some work this week end...probably on Sunday, but I am finding my path through all the work I will need to do, to get this bird flying.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Sq48245.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1876492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47004.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1876493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64395.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1876494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80585.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1876495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80256.jpg
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1876496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45011.jpg
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1876497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58148.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1876498  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM
BubbasanJohn

Hey Bubba Bobby,
Man the rudder gap is huge. Sorry but kinda fell out laughing.  Flutter anyone?   Should be an easy fix. To be honest, my ailerons and flaps did not fit so well right out of the box.  I did not do any work to improve the gaps on the sides and she still flies well. There are no gaps on the hinge line on any of my control surfaces thank The Lord. 

Regarding the ignition battery, I have to ask other on these issues and for me to advise you would be ludacris. 

Maybe get some steel belted cement filled tires.  

Keep going!  The reward will be quite worth the effort on this plane. 

I have to laugh. Flew 5 flights on my hellcat yesterday. Beautiful day.  My pilot has come unglued and is bouncing around the cockpit.  Running joke is that he tried to punch out but the canopy fail to open.      Now I must somehow debone the glue,and fix the pilot.  

Mahalo

Bubba
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubby John,
I was able to do a little work today...and began by removing the engine (packing it away), removed the fuel tank, receiver, battery on/off switches, pneumatic fill valve and Tx ignition on/off light. I pulled the canopy and basically getting the airframe ready to paint. I've some holes to fill around the canopy and a couple of other places to smooth over and fill. I removed the rudder and it came out way to easy...? I'm very happy that I pulled the rudder...it just may have come off on the first flight. I'm now going to pull the elevators and the starboard side is uneven with the horizontal stab. The port side is ok...but the right side is off set...and it makes my elevator stiff...it should move smoothly both directions. So off with the starboard side and lets see if I can get this horizontal stab and elevator work properly, with no binding. Now I wonder about the ailerons and flaps.....

I'm not sure if I will use Robart hinges on the elevator...but I just may do so. I've the hinges in house, but I want to see if there is enough balsa to plug the Robart hinges into, before I go with them. If not...I'll go with CA or other type hinges. What did you hinge your elevator with?

My engine and retracts are still inbound and I don't expect them here for a week or so. After I get the tail feathers sorted out, I will need to get the airframe ready to paint...then get on with installing the pneumatics into the wing. I also need to clean up the wheel wells a bit...and now...because I have a larger engine going on...not afraid to put on a little paint.

Your right...the Sierra retracts for this bird are amazingly strong. The struts are...huge and very well built...and I can't think of a better place to do a little over building...the landing gear. I'm also going to do a little work inside the wheel wells as well...soaking & coating everything I can reach, with deluded alcohol and epoxy.

I'm not sure if the throttle cable will hook up properly...so I may need to redo the throttle linkage. I believe I can get the ignition module and ignition batteries into the front of the fire wall. I managed to buy some awesome brass "L" brackets and I'll cut and trim to fit. I'll need to make a ply wood floor for them, but simple to do. I'll have two 3300ma batteries for the receiver, just aft of the fire wall, and forward of the servo area.

The next couple of day's are going to be busy with family...but Wed. night's gona be model night...the little woman's been advised.

Thanks for the input...and don't be afraid to tell me what you think...right or wrong with this model.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Nk27735.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1877025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72290.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1877026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96617.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1877027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82736.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1877028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44791.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1877029  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bubba Bobby,
Looking like work is progressing well. Underneath the fiberglass of the vertical stab area should be hardwood of some type. Well at least there was on mine. You can see whats there when you open the tail wheel hatch. I used CA hinges to join the elevator. Seems to work out well and be quite strong. Think the wood on the TE of the horizontal stab is balsa. Mine was pretty darn hard but did nto quite feel like chineese pine. hehehe.

There are some youtube videos of the hellcat flying with the engine you selected from troy built. Seems to pull this bird around with authority. Iam interested in this engine. I had ititially stayed well clear of it as I read some bad reports on the forums about it. I guess its like any model engine. Some are made awesomely and some are difficult. For example, my DLE 35RA purrs like a kitten and had not missed a beat while others have had to level surfaces or reed blocks etc to get them to run well. Troy built recommendsyour engine choice for the airframe IIRC. I did have some trouble fitting the throttle link to my DLE. In the end I stacked the throttle servo and choke servos so I could get a direct shot to the carb and choke. I used sullivan golden rod for the throttle and a sullivan sleeve and metal push rod for the choke. I also put my tank in a different position to get it as far forward as possible. Im going to post some interior shots for grins. Dont mind the less of wires I had some things disconnected to adjust and just reconnected things hap hazzardly to make sure I did not forget there things went. Almost 50 and having many brain farts, so I got to be careful.

I mounted my gear valves, tank and servoin the belly pan of the plane and cut the fiberglass peice about 6 inches from where people normally drill holes for wing bolts.Put my fill valve and guage show pressure on a bulkhead I created to stiffen the belly pan so I could get easy access and have the valve and wing bolts hidden. Also no need to connect and disconnect air lines as the gear system is intrigal to the wing. The peice that hides the valve et al is held in place by some rare earth magnets and a touch of velcro.

Reinforcing the gear wells and mounting area is always good insurance. I did nothing to mine and am amazed how well they have held up so far.

Tried to take a shot of where I Mounted the ignition. Its right under the engine standoffs, I guess that would be on top of the engine when sitting on her legs.

Looking forward to a wednesday update. Enjoy the Ohana!!

Bubba

Name:	Vs55579.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1877165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11185.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1877166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57497.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1877167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22074.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1877168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74317.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1877169  
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby, forgot to say I also have an optical kill switch installed. Its the orange shrink wrapped part in the 3rd shot, It is also a voltage regulator not that it was needed with the DLE ignition, but it s nice to be able to shut the engine down from the trnasmitter. In fact I have programed my ignition switch on a 3 position switch. When the switch is completely down, the ignition is off. Middle position the ignition is on and the choke is closed. All the way up the ignition is on and the choke is open. Makes it super simple fo rthe starting proceedure and keeps my hands away from the choke with a hot spark.

You will love the way this plane lands with flaps. Nailing 3 point landings is really sweet. I notice no pitch change on any flap setting only that airspeed bleeds of really quick at full flaps so be mindful of that. My flaps on my large zero TOTALLYchange AOA. Almost to the point of sheer terror. I prefer to land the baby a bit hot on the mains rather than deal with the pitch change but I know Im taking the easy way out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSSw-mbWQhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVP8dPTVF3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX3C-UqzS-o

Aloha!

Bubba
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
lmangum

Hi, guys I'm new to this forum, I just recently purchased a  ESM Hellcat from a guy near Colorado Springs, CO. It has a CRRC Pro 50cc gas engine in it, and it has Serra Retracts installed in it. The Hellcat is also weathered, and I just installed a sliding canopy. I haven't been able to fly it because of the wind, but I was wondering if you guys have in tips or suggestions about the plane before I do fly it.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM
BubbasanJohn

first I would read this thread and take action on the pull pull cables if needed, GC etc. The cables are obviously critical as the ones supplied with the kit are a recipe for disaster.  If she is mechanically sound and balanced, then you will have one sweet flying hellcat.  Oh wait, with that 50cc up front you will have one rocket of a hellcat! 

If you have specific questions, just ask.  Good luck.  You going to film the "maiden"?  would love to see how this plane moves with a 50cc motor!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello, if you need some scale details for your Hellcat visit my web site...

Regards

Mirce
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM
BubbasanJohn

Will do, thanks for posting Mirce!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubba John,
I managed to get the port elevator off and it will need some work to re-install. Who ever installed this unit, drilled the hole for the elevator pin to high and why this part of the elevator did not move without binding. Then he just used CA hinges at the same level for attaching the port elevator. It will be an easy fix...but its going take a bit of time to correct. I will go back with CA hinges for the elevator after I get everything lined up and working properly.

My PTE36R arrived, with the 19x8 props...so I've got lots to do and most here in-house. I have to tell you...I'm impressed with the engine. It even came with a iridium spark plug...nice touch. I believe I'll have enough go juice to have a nice vertical with this bird. I bought the dome spinner for this engine and this will go nicely with this model.

My wing was already assembled, with the belly pan installed...so I'm going to see if I can get everything installed on the top of the wing-it looks like I'll have all the room I'll need to install my air tank, valve and servo. I drew up simple plans for my air tank mount and will use a coping saw, to cut them out. My Sierra retracts have yet to arrive back to me...so no rush on this right now.

I'm going to change out aileron and flap control horns with something a bit more robust then I have now installed...and then I will repaint the wing.

I've been in a quandary on what paint job to do...and I would love invasion strips. It sure helps out with your in the air here...for the sky colors here can make it difficult to see the model at times. Did any U.S. forces use the F6F in the European war during D-Day? You have a British coloring...and I love your invasion strips...but a dark blue model will be difficult to see with light under wing coloring. I've seen lots of pictures of F6F's, but most all seem to have the dark blue fuse...any help here would be nice.

I need a source for my star and bar marking decals...for the fuse and wing. I'll also need kill markings for the bird, and numbers for the rudder. Do you have a source for these decals...I need to get them inbound.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,
glad to hear you like the engine.   Not sure what an iridium plug is but it sounds fancy.  POWER yesssssss!  love the vertical. 

Regarding the paint, go here.  http://wp.scn.ru/en/camo/schemes/2/s1  Its a great resource.  Personally i do not know of any carrier based hellcat with invasion stripes that flew for the USN.  That is why I loved the british theme I copied.  Something different and yes thse invasion stripes are very visible.  Personally I just could not stand looking at another totally blue airframe.

Not sure where to go for markings.  I use my color laser printer and self adhesive vynal.  Saves a bit of money and works out pretty well.  Oh what about a captured hellcat.  Tt would be cool flying from a hawaiian air strip!! while mostly blue there would be no chance of losing the meatball! http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/576/pics/65_1.jpg

I put on a new 3 blader today.  Was turning a 16x10 3 blade at 8300 rpm, flew today with a 17x10 3 bladers spinning 6400.  Speed seems similar, but the pull on my legs from the stab when clearing the carb at full throttle seems much stronger.  Also slows the plane down more on landings.

Keep going.  IF you test run the engine I would love to see video of that.  Oh you do plan to video the remaiden right? 

If you need anyhting just squawk 7700. 

Bubba

Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,

Give Vickie at getstencils.com a try. She's great to work with!

Casey
Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Bubby John,
I did some computer searches and found a picture of a F6F with a little color...I may just paint mine this way. This bird flew on the U.S.S. Bunker Hill, during WWII.

Thanks for the information...and where did you find a 17x10 3-bladed prop.

Iridium plugs are the Rolls Royce of spark plugs. When I was flying D-18's on a Fed-X run...we put Iridium plugs in the rear of the P&W 985's and standard plugs in the front. Iridium plugs are very clean burning plugs and do not foul out like standard plugs do. We took the rear iridium plugs out once every 1000 hours to clean and check, and the standard plugs every 100 hours of operation. The only down side is that the plugs cost three times what standard plugs cost. And when your buying 18 plugs per engine...that makes a big difference. I had an Iridium plug in my RCG 20cc gas engine...made a world of difference in starting, idle and top end. I was able to get 9,000 + RPM with my RCG 20cc gas engine on a Xoar 17x6 two blade prop...with an iridium plug. I can get them at NAPA for $12.00...and worth every cent you pay.

No real work on my model today...had lots to do and took the little lady out to a movie tonight.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Nl29894.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1877981  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
BubbasanJohn

Bobby,

Ah the twin beech! Long service life that plane saw.Single or twin tail version. Yeah I know the single tal config was less common but I gots to know. Did you have a specific route with fed-ex?Got a friend that flies with fed but its alittle more modernplane and a bit bigger.

Thanks for the info on the plugs. Might just look into them You have a model number/brand number for them. Guessing they must have a resistor model.

Got the prop from troy built. They will drill out the prop for 5 bucks. Quite a nice service and saves me time.

Love the paint scheme. think it will have the hi-viz you are looking for.....well better viz anyway.

Yes take care of mrs. bobby. Happy wife, happy life.

Bubba
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

I've been in a quandary on what paint job to do...and I would love invasion strips. It sure helps out with your in the air here...for the sky colors here can make it difficult to see the model at times. Did any U.S. forces use the F6F in the European war during D-Day? You have a British coloring...and I love your invasion strips...but a dark blue model will be difficult to see with light under wing coloring. I've seen lots of pictures of F6F's, but most all seem to have the dark blue fuse...any help here would be nice.
I've got a 1/6 scale Hellcat on the board which will probably be finished in the USS Santee scheme as seen below. The extensive amount of white should help with orientation. It's got to be better than the overall dark blue on most late model Hellcats anyway!

Or you can do like I did with my first Hellcat and put it in a drone color scheme.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
BubbasanJohn

I've seen your drone hellcat fly chad.  Very nice indeed
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've finally decided to order the Hellcat and Sierra gear from Thomas at VQ Warbirds. Already have the G38, servos and receiver. Bob, I have some time in D 18s but later flying Fed Ex runs in the northeast in Caravans. The romance of he round engines. Fouled plugs, burning oil smell in the cockpit on take off, slow climb with a load in hot weather, head and oil temps pushing red line. When the weather was down, icing conditions etc it was nice to have PT 6s instead of 985s. And deicing equipment that worked and of all things, radar and GPS.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM
BubbasanJohn

Rbean, Glad to hear your pulling the switch!   Think you are going to love this airplane.   Look orwar to seeing how you put it together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.