Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Steve Haas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it is the Ultracote ARF covering.
no need for a gyro. I have 3 more flights on it and it fly's great.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

This plane falls between the TF-47 which flys like a pattern plane and the P-51 which flys more like a warbird.

Let it fly off the ground without trying to yank it into the air and watch your power when landing because the gear doors. flaps, and big round nose create a lot of drag, more than either the 51 or 47.

No gyro needed.

Speaking of gear doors, if anyone has a set laying around please shoot me a PM
Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Steve Haas

This fly's like a warbird. At over 30lbs you will need to fly it down to the ground with some power. Your Top Flite warbirds are going to be 6-8 lbs lighter. So just remember to fly it with the weight in mind.
Do not cut the power and try and glide it in for a landing.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/2 gap

Hello
I need some help.
please look at the attached picture.
With the center section attached I have a 1/2” gap in the front where the center section meet the fuselage.
Is this common? Do you have the same gap as well?
the center section measure 18” and 7/8 and the wing saddle opening is 19” and 1/8”.
The wing mounting dowels are just going into the fuselage a small amount and I am afraid of them coming off in flight.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Marguet28

I am away but if I remember we'll I also have space but less (half)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:00 AM
Steve Haas

I have a gap to. It is around 1/8 of an inch. I had left my dowels sticking out 3/4-1.0" . If you look at earlier posts on the tread others had the same issue.
I will try and take a picture
Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Doomking

Question....
for those of you that have the Saito radial either the 90 or the 84, did you mounted it with the offset off the firewall?
Mounting it with the right trust offset did it fit in the cowl?
I was reading in the previous post it seems that in order for the engine to be fully enclosed you have to mount it straight and dial a rider mix with the throttle to compensate for the torque pull.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Yes, all of the installations I have seen are straight.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Doomking

So next question is, how much rudder?
Do you have to fly to to figure it out?
thx
Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

I mounted the 84 in the Corsair directly off the firewall, and contrary to what everyone says, it will fit inside the cowl. I DID grind down the fins on the valve cover just to get a tad bit more clearance, but it wasn't absolutely necessary. I did not use the Keleo exhaust, but the flex pipes that come with the engine. You can bend them and they are long enough to fit out through the exhaust pipes in the stock location. With the motor mounted this way, just the normal warbird amount of rudder was needed for take-off.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

Mine is setup the same way and I agree with Russ, its a warbird, it needs some rudder but nothing untoward.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Doomking

Thx for all the reply.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Horizon Hobby Website is showing many of the replacement parts have been discontinued (Cowl, Landing Gear Doors, Pushrods, Hardware set, etc.). Looks like the beginning of the end of this warbird being offered for sale.

Oriole
Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Two things; if you mount the engine, Saito FG 84/90, with right thrust comp then you will see interference between the left lower cylinder and the cowl on the left side of the cowl. Second, if you mount the engine square to the bulkhead, no comp, the engine fits correctly without interference. Personally I don’t like seeing engine parts sticking out of cowls.

The Corsair will fly fine without thrust comp. I proved this on my custom installation with the 84 and a TF Corsair using a modified H9 cowl. Taking off it’s pretty tame as long as you feed in the power slowly and get the tail up in the air for control. Once the wing is flying you can pull up gently and away you go. I make long take off runs using all the runway so I know the plane is ready to fly.
Mine comes in at about 26 pounds dry but oddly enough the TF Corsair has 1 inch longer wingspan than the H9. I’ve flown both with the 84 and can say they both exhibit some interesting traits in the landing pattern. The H9 sinks faster than the TF due to its higher weight so landings are a bit sporty at speed. Both have very effective flaps so you have to choose how much flap to use and remember you have the option to add or reduce as needed, go around and reset, if it’s not landing by the numbers.
Keep the power on all the way to touch down, maybe just before, balance the power and drag. It will balloon if you’re too playful with the elevator. You have to hold it at a steady rate of descent but the key is timing releasing the elevator back pressure just as the tires touch to prevent it from popping back up. This is very important. Just as they touch, less elevator, cut power as needed to settle it down. Sometimes I add power to settle the plane because if you cut too abruptly the plane can veer to one side.
Also keep in mind if you landed at full flaps you need to raise them very soon because they can and will blank out the rudder reducing your control as you fast taxi. There won’t be as much air over the elevators to push the tail wheel down for control either. So in the right conditions and configuration you might find yourself behind the plane heading towards a barrier in full opposite control input, speaking from experience.

If I had to choose again I’d probably go with the H9 for its profile and proportions so I could refinish it in a more scale appearance. If you want performance the TF Corsair is lighter, faster and easier to handle in general in all conditions, even high winds.

Just some tips, hope it helps someone...
Old 10-02-2018, 04:29 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thats some great advice and mirrors my thoughts.

I learned a couple of lessons years ago with an over detailed and painted Gold Edition, Mainly, let it take off, don't try to yank it off the deck too soon, and let it stop before trying to turn.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:01 AM
TJC333

Originally Posted by oriole
The Horizon Hobby Website is showing many of the replacement parts have been discontinued (Cowl, Landing Gear Doors, Pushrods, Hardware set, etc.). Looks like the beginning of the end of this warbird being offered for sale.

Oriole
Any one have any more info on whether this plane is going to be discontinued? I was planning on building one this winter however if it is going to be discontinued don't want to be left with no source for spare parts. The plane is still listed for sale on Hangar 9s website.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by TJC333
Any one have any more info on whether this plane is going to be discontinued? I was planning on building one this winter however if it is going to be discontinued don't want to be left with no source for spare parts. The plane is still listed for sale on Hangar 9s website.
About the closest you'll get to a definitive answer might be "once stock is depleted, there won't be any more available." The truth is the factory making this airplane closed down over a year ago. That means the 60cc Corsair is on the way out, but not by Horizon's choice. Chances are pretty good they're working on a replacement, unless they've decided to move forward with only the Top Flite version. This would be a reasonable path forward in the current hobby market environment.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:39 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doomking
So next question is, how much rudder?
Do you have to fly to to figure it out?
thx
I have the 90, zero rudder mix, it barely needs rudder on take-off.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:44 AM
BarracudaHockey

Grass or paved Doc?

Mine has the 90 and needs rudder on takeoff, seems to be less on grass but on our paved runway you need to be ready on rudder or it will hook a pretty good left.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:35 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

very nice grass runway. I have big planes with moki 250's, I know the right rudder feel. ;-). This plane surprised me in that it didn't need as much as I thought it would. Even my 50cc 1/5th scales seemed to need it more. My thought, this plane is heavy. It feels a lot heavier than my other top flite or topRC 1/5th scales....
Old 10-25-2018, 08:14 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DrScoles
very nice grass runway. I have big planes with moki 250's, I know the right rudder feel. ;-). This plane surprised me in that it didn't need as much as I thought it would. Even my 50cc 1/5th scales seemed to need it more. My thought, this plane is heavy. It feels a lot heavier than my other top flite or topRC 1/5th scales....
I am also sure that Barracuda likes to go straight on take off !!!

B
Old 10-25-2018, 09:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

We have a paved runway, when I was up at Hodges and flew off grass it seemed to need less rudder.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dj 72 install

Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally started my Corsair today. My first concern was installing the DJ 72cc engine. I want to swing a good size 3 blade and thought this may be worth a shot. The stock standoffs are 45mm, putting the prop hub at 185mm. This did not look good, so I am using a 25mm standoff with 3 mm spacer which puts the hub at 175mm. The firewall will have to have a whole cut for the carb, but not much of the carb will be sticking through. The stock muffler is huge, but only clips the corner of the firewall. I will remove the tristock from the corner where it is a problem. The firewall will be fiberglassed and pinned following installation. I should have the engine mounting complete tomorrow. I may end up removing the 3mm spacers. I'll see how it looks first. I'm excited to get this bird in the air. It's been a long time coming.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Denfly31

I was planning on a Corsair build this winter and have been researching before I order. Have there been any updates to the electric retracts? I flown with air for years without a problem. I'm up in the air between the H9 or the TF Corsair but the H9 is looks better to me. With the TF I'll have to go with the fiberglass specialties cowl for the FG90.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.