Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kochj - that 450 on gas looks like the ticket! Just viewed the youtube video that Adrian of CH Ignitions put out... that engine sounds sweet.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by colesifer3d314
Rev,

You have motivated me to a whole new level! Haha I cant wait to get this thing going..did you use the keleo exhaust ring?

I opted for the evolution ring for the fact that I plan to duct my exhaust into a pair of fabricated scale exhaust stacks out each side..very nice airplane and you seem to have that engine running very nice..are you using glow at low rpm? Or knly at startup??

Cole
nice to hear, then the vid paid off

I am using the glow at low rpm as well even though I know the evo does not need it. Its just another extra protection to my investment so to say. I would hate to lose a pot on final approach...

Yes, its the Keleo ring. The Evolution was not in stock when I bought the engine (must be one of the first in Europe). I love the sound of that large exit pipe. The Evolution ring sounds a bit higher pitched with the two small pipes but the scale exhaust option is brilliant.

Rev
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Morris Mini Motors

Default Conversion Kit

Hello all

For all the guys in Europe who thinking about converted there Saito-450R3 and EVO 7-cylinder 77cc 4-stroke glow radial engine.
I will have these conversion kit.

I do have the Saito 450-R3 in stock NOW.

Saito 450-R3 Engine Ignition Conversion Kit Ebay item number 181235739761

Saito 450-R3 Engine Carburetor Conversion Kit Ebay item number 171146815458

I will be getting Ignition kit for the EVO 77cc radial engine very SOON.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Reverend

Originally Posted by shattaeli
Hello all

For all the guys in Europe who thinking about converted there Saito-450R3 and EVO 7-cylinder 77cc 4-stroke glow radial engine.

Now that is very good news...

Conversion Kit for the FS-400 as well?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Morris Mini Motors

YES, there will be Ignition conversion kit FOR

ASP FS400AR 5 Cylinder Radial Engine
&
Saito FA-325 5-Cylinder Radial Engine
Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 AM
kochj

That is the 1st pictures I have seen of it....
Looks great....

I am a bit confused....
Are you C&H ignition?? I had thoght Adrian wis in Florida??

Partnered w/ Adrian?....
I have seen limited carb adaptors...but you have them ALL!....

Last edited by kochj; 11-03-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Morris Mini Motors

NO i am not CH ignition or Adrian.

We work together as Partner , I am in the UK

I am Morris
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM
kochj

Right on Morris...

Does adrian also sell the adaptors that you have or do you make or have the adaptors?
I will PM you...

Thanks...
Justin.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Cristian2fast4you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rev,

Great video! I'm near to finish mine. Waiting for the tail retract actuator and then I can complete the brake in of the engine on the model. Just one question for you, if I may. What's the setup for the prime lever? How do you get to prime the engine?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Eichstedt
Yes, nose weight is required with the G62, but I don't know how much. Both Bill and Mike flew them at Joe Nall with G62s so either of them should be able to help here. The ZP62 is lighter than the G62, so keep in mind if you go that route it will require even more weight.
Dave Eichstedt,
Based on the events they were flown at (Nall, Warbirds over Denver, etc) was there a difference in flight performance between the G62 powered Corsairs (# 158 & #183?), the FG-57 Corsair(#152?) and the EVO 7-77 Corsair (#122)?
Which combination had better vertical?

Last edited by Fly2XS; 11-04-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
BearBow

Originally Posted by njmheli
Hi All.

Took delivery of my "kit" today....Must say very nicely packed in all of the three boxes,nothing loose and so far no "packing-damage" found !!! I did check out my wing attachment to see if all was square.........when the ali spar was fitted and the "wings" slipped on perfectly.......so ok there !!! The finish thus far appears to be very,very good and at the moment no wrinkles showing ( give it time !!! ).

As I already have a FS Corsair cowl ( which I beleive is "moulded" from the T/F plastic one ),I thought that I would compare them both.........they appear to be pretty close in most respects,the FS cowl appears to be slightly larger on dia,but slightly shorter on length and the "cowl-flaps" are not as "open" as the H9 cowl ( which I must sat say has a very nice finish to it ).

I managed to fit my Saito 450R3 in the H9 cowl ( less exhaust ring )..this is the same size as the Saito F84,I also allowed some right thrust,but not any down thrust.......it is tight as expected and the H9 cowl mountings could present a problem whe a collector ring is used,but I think this would not be the case if the 3 seperate exhaust tubes were used.The "fins" on the rocher box covers,could quite easily be "removed",this would give adequate spce between the top ot the valve covers and inner cowl dimension.I know that this has been done when the Saito 450 R3 was used in an early FS cowl as I sure that the later ones are slightly bigger on dia....The FS cowl that I have has plenty of clearance even with the fins on and right thrust put in.

This is just a thought for the thread with respect to anyone who may consider the 450 of F84 as a power option.........I know that there are plenty of great "builders" out there !!!

I have taken some photos,so will try to get them posted.....if I can work out this "new" systen RC Univers has changed to ...!!!

Regards.............Nick (UK).
This looks awesome and the exact engine solution I was looking at....the Saito FG84...but has anyone actually mounted it yet for real, and/or run it in place? Does it actually fit and work....does it touch the cowl under vibration? I soooo want this to work. Willing to do a fair bit of custom work to make it, but diameter is something not too forgiving.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM
BearBow

Isnt the Saito FG84 the same as the Saito 450....difference being Glow? Is it the same size/etc?

Originally Posted by shattaeli
Hello all

Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Fly2XS

According to the manuals both Saito's are 250 mm dia across the valve covers.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Pete Bergstrom

The FG-84 is actually the same physical size but the displacement is larger (equal to a FA-518-R3 if there was one).

Pete
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Fly2XS

Originally Posted by Pete Bergstrom
The FG-84 is actually the same physical size but the displacement is larger (equal to a FA-518-R3 if there was one).

Pete
Pete,
Has anyone at Horizon looked at using the FG-84 in the H-9 60 cc Corsair?
I am willing to buy the motor as I love the 4-stroke and I love the gas prices vs. nitro but am I tilting at windmills?

According to the FG-84 manual, the power output looks to be a little better than the G62 but I get the benefit of the 3 cylinder radial & 4-stroke!

Originally I was looking to use my DA-85 only because it could turn my scale Solo Prop, but the sound of a radial gets my imagination going!

As the Product manager for these options, what information can you offer me in making my choice?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Anderson
Minneapolis, MN
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Scott,

This is certainly a very viable option for this airplane but it does take some modeling skills to get the engine to fit. As noted some work on the tops of the val;ve covers will go a long way towards making this easier. Awesome power - easily and happily swings a 24 x 10 prop vs. the FG-57T with a 22 x 10 prop and the airplanes gains the additional thrust ... and the sound is incredible.

Pete
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Cristian2fast4you

Originally Posted by D PAYNE
Cristian2fast4youI don't think that the 22x10 3 blade will work. The diameter usually goes down when adding a blade and normally the pitch needs to increase. The radials will work well with a 3 blade but the problem I have found is finding a good 3 blade prop with the correct diameter and enough pitch. I think to get good performance and speed out of the combination you will need a 20 or 21" 3 blade prop with around 14" of pitch maybe even 16.... I have not found that prop to try yet unless you want to spend the money for a Solo. They make great props and I think that you could get a good working solution with that prop because it is adjustable.
Hi Dave,
I come back to you, if you don't mind, for a sugested pitch as I contacted Xoar and they can do a custom prop for me. So, it will be a 3 blade 21". But what pitch do you think I should use, 14 or 15?
Thank you again,
Cristian
Hi Pete,

Maybe you can help me with an answer?

Last edited by Cristian2fast4you; 11-05-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 AM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

FG-84 would be great what type of work would you have to do on the valve covers to make it work? I would be willing to give it a try also.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Reverend

Originally Posted by jonesjj3
FG-84 would be great what type of work would you have to do on the valve covers to make it work? I would be willing to give it a try also.
I would concider flying w/o the covers....

rev
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Originally Posted by Cristian2fast4you
Hi Pete,

Maybe you can help me with an answer?
I have done some calculations and these are the results:

[TABLE="width: 85"]
[TR]
[TD]22 x 10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6200 rpm 51 knots

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]20 X 12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5950 rpm 59 knots

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]20 x 14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5650 rpm 65 knots
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

EVO 7-77 engine normal day

if you want to add any pitch you really need to get into a smaller diameter to allow the engine to turn it at an rpm that will actually provide some decent pitch speed for the airplane. You can see from the numbers as the pitch increases so does the speed of the airplane. Most the time I would add a caveat that with higher pitched props getting an airplane to slow down enough for a reasonable landing can be an issue because the pitch is still thre, regardless of the rpms so a 14" pitch prop will tend to fly faster at a 1500rpm idle than an 10" pitch prop. But the flaps on this airplane are very effective at controlling landing speeds so you should not have a problem with this.

On the radial engines you needn't be as afraid to load them up as much as you worry on a single cylinder engine. There is a ton of torque available and any ground rpm above 5200 the engine will perform well. Just note that as you as load to the engine you will be creating more heat so plan carefully for a good cooling solution to keep your investment in good shape.

Pete
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Originally Posted by jonesjj3
The engine is exactly the same diameter as the cowling so removing the cooling fins from the top of the valve covers would equate to about 3mm in radius clearance. There is a mounting offset on the firewall to account for the right and downthrust of the engine which puts the left side of the engine closer to the cowl than the right side. You could remove some of this right thrust and carry more right rudder to compensate.

I would not run the engine without the valve covers as these keep the oil mist contained. If you commit to lubricating all the moving parts of the valve rocker assemblies at the beginning of each flying day I expect you would be ok. (This is the same requirement we have with the EVO radial engines because we dont have any valve covers.)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM
BearBow

Pete,
I'm an accomplished old-style builder from the 70's-80's, so not afraid of modifying the Corsair....but looking at it, my do or die for this plane was putting a radial in it...if I can't, i'll just get another kit....in the world of appropriate sizing for this plane, it seems to me the only viable radial is your very nice FG-84.....what I hear is that it's doing, with some work, and maybe a small hole or two to allow the rocker covers to be used....I assume I have to move the firewall back??? Or do you know....I know a lot are using the Evo 7cyl 77cc.....but I've read it's marginal power, and it's also Glow, so that knocks it out no matter what....any further advice would be appreciated. Seems doable.?

The engine is exactly the same diameter as the cowling so removing the cooling fins from the top of the valve covers would equate to about 3mm in radius clearance. There is a mounting offset on the firewall to account for the right and downthrust of the engine which puts the left side of the engine closer to the cowl than the right side. You could remove some of this right thrust and carry more right rudder to compensate.

I would not run the engine without the valve covers as these keep the oil mist contained. If you commit to lubricating all the moving parts of the valve rocker assemblies at the beginning of each flying day I expect you would be ok. (This is the same requirement we have with the EVO radial engines because we dont have any valve covers.)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 AM
BearBow

Pete, ....oops, didn't think the above post was saved....sorry for double.

Also, is the 84cc 3cyl in fact more powerful as someone said, than the 450 series.....not familiar with either in person. Radials new to me.
I'm an accomplished old-style builder from the 70's-80's, so not afraid to work some mods....it sound like with some care your FG-84 would work? Correct? The #1 for me on this kit is having a radial, and I don't see another out there that is properly powered for this kit....it's a heavy 30lb plane....so I'm very leery of a single cyl 60cc.....and so want to go up a bit if I'm going also to 4-cycle....that's why I want your 84cc 3cyl.....I know a lot are using the EVO 77cc 7 cylinder....but I've read a lot of posts of marginal power, and it's glow, so a non-starter.
Are the mods reasonable then.....do I need to cut the firewall off and move it rearward, or just work the mounting....if you know....I assume the worst re the rocker covers is having at least two of them show thru the outer cowl just a bit....which isn't the end of the world. Anything else you can think to get me off top-dead center? Thanks much

Last edited by BearBow; 11-06-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: double post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Pete Bergstrom

The firewall to prop distance is exactly right for the FG-84r3, which has a prop drive to mounting pad distance of 170mm. You do not need to move the firewall.

Pete
Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Reverend

Originally Posted by Cristian2fast4you
Hi Rev,

Great video! I'm near to finish mine. Waiting for the tail retract actuator and then I can complete the brake in of the engine on the model. Just one question for you, if I may. What's the setup for the prime lever? How do you get to prime the engine?
Hi Cristian,

First I wanted to do a servo controlled choke but in the end I followed KISS. Just a rod through the Cowl...

Rev

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 2.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1937052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto 1.JPG
Views:	659
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1937053  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.