Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I have a very good idea how much easier it is, I have set up multiple servos on large scale biplanes with match boxes...in my estimation it again outweighed spending $500 or more for a new tranny and seems to work perfectly once adjusted !...
Wouldn't be nice to be able to buy a new tranny every year?...oh ya, I think the newer generation also has internet access as well as telemetry !!! I definitely have to run out and get one of those now also....
Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re-maiden of my Corsair with the new JR 28x and receiver etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSVYNp5xZTk

Can't seem to get enough Aileron throw/authority - anyone else having that issue? The roll rate is a bit too low for my liking - hard to pull off any quick aerobatics, not that I'm going to do much with this plane outside of drooling over the sound :P But still nice to speed up the roll-rate, it's pretty slow and I've maxed out my throws I think. Any tips? Unfortunately I threw a gyro on the ailerons, so I don't have adjustments of travel on each servo's up/down ... that could possibly be the only way to improve the roll characteristics I guess...
Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Mein Duff

I'm no where near flying mine yet...but that was a nice flight and smooth landing...those flaps sure seem effective... puzzled as to why you would want a gyro on ailerons anyway ??..
I've never used them on anything I've ever owned and still haven't found a need...but this size Corsair may require some directional stability. Have you ever flown it without any gyros ??
Old 09-17-2015, 04:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

0 out the gyro gain or even better, bypass it and give it a try.

Some of them are unobtrusive like the Cortex and IGyro, others are quite limiting and you feel like you're fighting the gyro. Though I'm not really sure why you feel you need one on this plane but whatever works for you.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM
chorner

The gyro setup I have is the JR 370A, and I've got it mixed so that it's only really active around centre (i.e. - flaps down, landing... just a little extra stability never hurts). When I reach a specific throw, there's 0 gain on the gyro. I'll double check it's off at full throws (come to think of it, I may have set an Expo curve on the gain... it may actually still be active at full throw) that could be the issue, though I've tried with them off on my previous radio setup DX18 and didn't notice much of a difference. Still too low for my liking - got to be some small setup issue I'm overlooking though I seem to recall seeing someone else mention the roll rate was a little slow on this plane before.

I have one on the rudder and one on the ailerons. Not like I really need it, but I decided to throw them on "because I could" and mainly for those windy days with cross-winds on landing/takeoff. A little extra insurance of a smooth takeoff and landing if you will

Last edited by chorner; 09-17-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Mein Duff

Is anybody running a G62 on their Corsair ?....Just want to make sure it has enough performance to pull 40 lbs around with authority.

Was also reading that using a J-tech or DLE muffler will add more RPMs...any body tried that yet?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:32 PM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a g 62 it flies very well. Will the DLE muffler fit the G 61? Who has used one successfully and does it need modifications? Lots of questions. Great thread.

Jay
Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 PM
chorner

Mein Duff, no reason your Corsair should weigh anything near 40lbs with a G62 on the front. You should be within the 30-31lbs range this plane was rated for. It flies heavy, so personally I wouldn't weigh the plane down by an additional 8-9lbs ... that is A LOT of extra weight for a plane this size. The only reason you'd see significantly more weight than 30-31lbs would be adding an FG84 to the front and doing some major mods inside

Mine is decked out with the 7 cyl. radial and ignition system, 4,000mah LiFe batteries and working gear doors and it hits just a hair over 30lbs. The G62 will pull it around just fine.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Mein Duff

Thanks guys...lost my head ...I actually meant approx. 30 lbs. AUW.....I feel relieved....
Old 09-20-2015, 04:24 AM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
Thanks guys...lost my head ...I actually meant approx. 30 lbs. AUW.....I feel relieved....
I have the G62 on mine and it weighs out right at 31lbs with 3 lbs of lead on the firewall.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Todd D

Three nice flights on my Corsair today. 10 flights total now and I'm starting to get the plane dialed in just how I like it to fly. A few tips:
- For me, full flaps was too much so I've been landing at a little more than half and it seems good.
- Today the little plastic slider doo-dad for the sliding canopy left the plane during flight, just one side. I should be able to fabricate a new one, no big deal. New one will have more surface area for the glue to hold it to the canopy
-As others have said, check your H9 tailwheel assembly. Mine fell apart today, luckily I found the wheel and shaft on the field, it must have fallen out right at touch down. The little screw that holds the tiller arm to the shaft came loose so heed those warnings and tighten and locktite yours before it falls out. Since I have all the parts it'll be an easy fix.
-G-62 is now starting to break in pretty well, tached 7400 on the ground so it's likely reaching 7600 or 7700 in flight and screaming pretty good. Time to switch from the Xoar 22X8 to the 22X10.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

Todd: Let us know when you make the switch to the 22/10 what rpm you are getting on the ground.

Thanks

Jay
Old 09-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Mein Duff

Todd,
Glad you are getting some good flights in...I also just got my G-62...and converting to Rxcell electric ignition shortly..was wondering what type oil and what percentage you recommend for break in ?
Engine has never run...I am totally new to 2 strokes...
Thanks for the heads up on the flaps and tail wheel assembly...
Eric
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Mein Duff

Todd, another question....are you using the stock spark plug on your G-62 ( or CM-6 plug ) .....or , do you have the smaller 1/4 - 32 plug ...so it will fit comfortably in the cowl with enough clearance ?
Eric
Old 09-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by jayman618
Todd: Let us know when you make the switch to the 22/10 what rpm you are getting on the ground.

Thanks

Jay
Jay, will do, as you know we've had a great month of flying weather in September, hopefully October is equally as good and I'll be able to get out on the weekends.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Todd D

Todd,
Glad you are getting some good flights in...I also just got my G-62...and converting to Rxcell electric ignition shortly..was wondering what type oil and what percentage you recommend for break in ?
Engine has never run...I am totally new to 2 strokes...
Thanks for the heads up on the flaps and tail wheel assembly...
Eric
Eric, mine is stock magneto ignition, I really like the simplicity of the mag on a warbird, it runs great. I have some other Zens that have been converted to elec ign too and they are fine as well, as far as oil, I've tried several and settled on Stihl Ultra for all my two strokes and haven't had any problems. I use it for break in and regular use. Keep asking that question and you're bound to get a bunch of answers, some guys swear by Red Line, others Pennzoil air cooled, and there's plenty that use Amsoil too. I've had good luck with the Stihl, the dealer is right down the street and I use it in the yard equipment too. So it works for me.

As as for the spark plug on the G62, mine is the stock plug and it does stick out the bottom of the cowl, I don't think there is anyway either the stock plug or CM 6 plug with the adapter and cap won't require a hole in the cowl.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Mein Duff

Thanks Todd ! I know the 1/4 -32 plug and assembly is shorter than the stock set-up ...but not sure how much shorter...also the plugs are about $14.- as compared to $5.- no biggie..
Thanks for the tip on the Stihl oil
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Todd D

Thanks Todd ! I know the 1/4 -32 plug and assembly is shorter than the stock set-up ...but not sure how much shorter...also the plugs are about $14.- as compared to $5.- no biggie..
Thanks for the tip on the Stihl oil
Here's a few shots of the G62 with stock plug for your review.

The CM 6 is a little smaller but not that much.

If you're paying $14 for a CM 6 plug you should shop around, you can get them for $5.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308[1].JPG
Views:	546
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2122352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309[1].JPG
Views:	556
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2122353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310[1].JPG
Views:	544
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2122354  
Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Mein Duff

Todd, Getting ready to fire up my engine...just wondering what prop you are using (size/ pitch) and what muffler you have ?
I have been reading that G-62 's optimal power band is 7000 rpms once broken in.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Mein Duff

Ooops.... just re-read this thread and see you were running Zoar 22 x 8 and planning to switch to 22 x 10....did you make the change and how was the performance?

still wondering what muffler though..??
Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Todd D

Ooops.... just re-read this thread and see you were running Zoar 22 x 8 and planning to switch to 22 x 10....did you make the change and how was the performance?

still wondering what muffler though..??
Hey there, Yup start with a Xoar 22X8 for a 3 or 4 gallons of gas, likely you'll have to re-tune a few times while it's breaking in. Then go to the 22X10 and you'll likely be around 7200-7400 once fully broke in.
I haven't run the 22X10, maybe this weekend.
Also, I have the stock Zenoah G62 muffler on mine.
Todd
Old 10-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Mein Duff

So the stock muffler will fit in cowl obviously...the one I picked up has a Bennet muffler...looks small, very loud and nasty.....
Looking around for a stock G-62 muffler if anybody has one for sale....
I was reading that it's actually better to break-in the G-62 in the air...probably because of load issues on the bearings...but not sure why though...
Don't relish that thought on a maiden flight in my Corsair !!! Did you break yours in on a test stand with the 22 x 8 prop..or in the air?
Thanks, Eric
Old 10-09-2015, 06:52 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Don't relish that thought on a maiden flight in my Corsair !!!
Thanks, Eric
Don't sweat it. Balance properly and with adequate power this is a very good flying warbird with excellent landing characteristics (using recommended flap settings).
Old 10-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Todd D

So the stock muffler will fit in cowl obviously...the one I picked up has a Bennet muffler...looks small, very loud and nasty.....
Looking around for a stock G-62 muffler if anybody has one for sale....
I was reading that it's actually better to break-in the G-62 in the air...probably because of load issues on the bearings...but not sure why though...
Don't relish that thought on a maiden flight in my Corsair !!! Did you break yours in on a test stand with the 22 x 8 prop..or in the air?
Thanks, Eric
The Bennett muffler will make your plane sound like a flying chainsaw, I've used them and they are very loud, basically open stack.
I break in all my gas engines in the air, better cooling characteristics with air flow up there than on the ground. I mount them on the plane get them running and properly tuned,maybe a couple of starts and short runs on the ground. Then get in the air. For new gas engines I always tune about 250-300 rpms below peak on the high end on the ground to ensure it doesn't lean out in the air, and yes the 22X8 for a new G62 lets the engine wind up and does not put a heavy load on. Don't be surprised if you need to retune after 5 or 6 flights as it starts to break in.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 AM
Mein Duff

Good info. for a 2 stroke newbie....Thanks, Todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.