Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
RoysterDW

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

RoysterDW,

I do not own this model, but plan to in the future. I have thoroughly researched this plane and read many forums and I think most people were using microballoons and filler to get the fillets to be seamless into the wing. I saw that they covered the wing in saran wrap or something similar and shaped everything as one piece. I believe I saw this on RC Scale Builder (no spaces, have to add them so as not be blocked out by moderator) in the top flite build thread. I sure enjoy reading everyones post and pics. Good luck.
Yeah I ended up filling in some of the spaces with Hysol. I had to Google saran wrap. lol We call it Glad Wrap over here
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
RoysterDW

Ok have a little issue with the Sierra retracts. The obvious is to simply cut the wheel wells to accommodate the scissors getting hung up. Did this happen to anyone else out there?

I'll also send off some pics to Darryl at Sierra and see what he says.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27537.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1667246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17059.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1667247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54562.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1667248  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 AM
RoysterDW

Whilst I wait for reply on the retracts I moved on to the canopy sanding it down a bit more and I also decided to remove the covering under the canopy. I remember many moons ago when I owned a Showtime or any other plane with covering under the canopy I could never do anything about wrinkled covering when it got affected by sun and heat. And since this plane has a bad rep for its covering I decided to make it more maintenance free! Plus it looks cool [8D]

Name:	Mk27275.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1667275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53270.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1667276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22494.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1667277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21927.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1667278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60166.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1667279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ka42769.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1667280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce69756.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1667281  
Old 09-28-2011, 04:21 AM
oconcj
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys

I have about two hundred flights on my Mustang. The only mod I did was the wing mod which I designed myself. I have shared my drawings with a number of people. It has worked flawlessly. I'm running a DA-50, Biella 22-10 prop,Keleo exhaust, Sierra retracts, Aerotech scale accessories. I did use Flite-metal and Stits paint. I have the RTC version, Not a fan of plastic covering. My plane weighs 27.5lbs. It flies great. I just had my exhaust crack after all this time. My own fault. It was rubbing on the motor mounts. I too am a fan of DA engines. They seem to run smoother than DLE's. Just my observation.
Enjoy your plane.

Chris
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

i'm buried money wise with mine so i have to finish it now!!!! mine is the rtc. version because i'm changing the plane into a reno style racer. went with the after market cowl (no nose droop) with the proper sized spinner and exhaust, foam wing with proper dihedral angle, sierra retracts converted to electric, 1/5 scale formula canopy, truturn spinner, brillilli 366 60cc gasser converted to run gas/glow no ign. and no extra batt. pack, tad more power, 20x12 prop, built up belly scoop (not plastic), proper horizonal stab. relocation kit, servo operated robart retract tail gear. modify vert. stab./rudder to H model (a tad taller like ''precious metal'' racer), chrome monocote on fuse. black wings top and checkered board bottom, black horizonal and black trim, i'm not using the kits wing fillet, i'll make my own as they will be modified. the plane will be named ''JANIE'S GUN'' (rolling stones song) as it will be featured in a dvd i'm putting together, (flying put to music). so you see there's no turning back now!!!!!!!!![:@] anyone need parts i'm not using let me know, i'll make you a good deal. i have a list.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Flyitorcrashtrying

ORIGINAL: fujiman

i'm buried money wise with mine so i have to finish it now!!!! mine is the rtc. version because i'm changing the plane into a reno style racer. went with the after market cowl (no nose droop) with the proper sized spinner and exhaust, foam wing with proper dihedral angle, sierra retracts converted to electric, 1/5 scale formula canopy, truturn spinner, brillilli 366 60cc gasser converted to run gas/glow no ign. and no extra batt. pack, tad more power, 20x12 prop, built up belly scoop (not plastic), proper horizonal stab. relocation kit, servo operated robart retract tail gear. modify vert. stab./rudder to H model (a tad taller like ''precious metal'' racer), chrome monocote on fuse. black wings top and checkered board bottom, black horizonal and black trim, i'm not using the kits wing fillet, i'll make my own as they will be modified. the plane will be named ''JANIE'S GUN'' (rolling stones song) as it will be featured in a dvd i'm putting together, (flying put to music). so you see there's no turning back now!!!!!!!!![:@] anyone need parts i'm not using let me know, i'll make you a good deal. i have a list.
Ihave never heard of that song unless you are talking about Janie's Got A Gun, which is by Aerosmith. What album is it on?

It seems to me that you rag on this model a lot. It's never to late to sell it and go for something that you consider better. You could always trade someone or buy a built up TF GS P-51. I think if you buy an ARF and expect it to be perfect you are setting your expectations to high as most ARF are built by people that probably not modelers and just do what someone shows them. I don't like ARF's myself for the fact that you get it together and it crashes and then think, "well, I would have reinforced that because now that I see it in a pile of wood chips, that could have been reinforced." They dont really take any time selecting the right wood and sometimes have the wrong grain for the wrond places. Something about flying something you put together from a bunch of sticks gives you a sense of accomplishment. Myself, I would go with a Composite 1/4 scale if I had the money, BUT, I am planning on getting the TF GS P-51 to use as a practice flier as almost everyone says they fly great if they are balanced right and not underpowered. Ido understand your frustration, although with all the mods you are doing anyway, you should have gotten the kit. Just my opinion. Good luck on completing your model as I am sure it will be better than the ARF by far in the long run.

Anyway, this is a great thread. Lots of heads up as to what you can do to make this plane more durable and pointing out things to look out for. Lots of troublshooting tips, and great pics of everyone's planes too.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
fujiman

HEY I'M NOT TO ONLY ONE THAT HAS HAD ISSUES WITH TF ON THIS ARF/ARC!!!!!!!!!! did you read the whole thread? we paid for this arf/arc in good faith and that the kit was up to top flite standards, but this bird was and is not and i guess my big beef with top flite is they refuse to step up and up grade or at least come to grips with this gs 51 and was and is sub standard. this kit is NOT cheap price wise. it sounds like you have money to burn and my hat is off to you for being willing to experiment with this kit!!!! it has serious short comings and if you have read this very long forum thread from the start, you would have seen that all of us who have posted on here have stepped up to fixing ours and have helped others with their issues. we have dealt with these issues, as i have had to do. that being said the end result after all this is the 51 does fly good and i was willing to go ahead and fix the many issues and modify the thing the way i wanted.
in my own defense there have been many other more venomous comments on this plane, having to deal with main spar splitting on even soft landings, fire walls failing due to bad glue joints or no glue, no glue on wing ribs and landing gear mounting, main spar grain running length wise with NO shire webbing, failures in flite (fortunately no one got hurt or killed), need i go on. if you are happy with yours or the one you are going to pay good money for then go for it, then rebuild the whole thing and dealing with it. hope it lasts longer than the first flite like some have suffered. i'm a kit builder too and have designed and built from scratch many planes in my past 41 years of modeling so i know the proper way of building and assembling airplanes. i do know having dealt with the issues with this ''kit'' my reno racer JANIE'S GUN will be a plane i'll be proud of.
i was wrong when i mentioned the song "janie's got a gun" was song by the stones, (brain burp) and rantings of and old mind!!!!!! yes it was aerosmith who sang that.
TOP FLITE ARE YOU LISTENING YET!!!!!!!!!! fix the shortcomings or take it off the market!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S MOVE ON WITH THIS THREAD AND STOPPING RAGGING ON EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: oconcj

Hi Guys

I have about two hundred flights on my Mustang. The only mod I did was the wing mod which I designed myself. I have shared my drawings with a number of people. It has worked flawlessly. I'm running a DA-50, Biella 22-10 prop,Keleo exhaust, Sierra retracts, Aerotech scale accessories. I did use Flite-metal and Stits paint. I have the RTC version, Not a fan of plastic covering. My plane weighs 27.5lbs. It flies great. I just had my exhaust crack after all this time. My own fault. It was rubbing on the motor mounts. I too am a fan of DA engines. They seem to run smoother than DLE's. Just my observation.
Enjoy your plane.

Chris

Hey Chris did you use the Aerotech exhuast stacks? Can you share how you went about installing them and any pics you can upload?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
oconcj

Hi Royster

I have a Keleo exhaust system. The exhaust comes out in the correct location. Sorry I can't help you with the exhaust detail. Check out Keleo exhaust, I'm happy with it. I have pics of my plane on page 70 about 2/3 of the way down, and pics of my wing mod on page 69 about 1/2 way down.

good luck
Chris
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
RoysterDW

Hey Chris thanks. Love the keleo but noise is a big issue where we fly unless I drive over an hour to a private field. I have glassed in the LG bay but im not going to strip the wing.
What Aerotech parts did you add?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM
RoysterDW

Just found out this plane will be available in few weeks! Bugger had I known. Oh well cant wind the clocks back but may spell the end of the TF P51. Price I was told will be $535.00 AUS!!

Have a look at the shots there are a lot of advantages with this plane over the TF P51 including a detailed cockpit and LG sequenced doors, 2 piece wing with 2 wing tubes and flipper doors for the LG. Heaps more detail!

I'm posting this here so the person looking to buy a 50cc Mustang has another (and better) choice

Name:	Jh14819.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1667653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90878.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1667654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24228.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1667655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40600.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1667656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77899.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1667657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev24626.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1667658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce68966.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1667659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58767.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1667660  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy43015.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1667661  
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that the new one from Model Engines?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
fujiman

thanks roysterdw. that kit looks very nice and thot out. 535.00 is not a bad price either i have almost that in just my sierra gear and up grade to electric operation. wonder if this model will be coming to the US??????
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 PM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

Yep. I received an email from Darren of Model Engines today. They already have a test model in possession fitted out with an O.S. 55. Will be in the aussie warehouse 5-6 weeks! One of the owners at Budget Hobbies in Brissy saw it at the recent toy fair in Sydney and said its awesome. He's real pissed as he bought a TF P51 with an O.S. 55 soon after I bought mine and he said he's buying one and swapping out the gear.
The only thing I have concern for is the retracts it comes with. How good are they? You get spoilt after having Sierra. For the price I would even consider flying my TF 51 for a a few months then swapping out the gear as well.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 AM
RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: fujiman

thanks roysterdw. that kit looks very nice and thot out. 535.00 is not a bad price either i have almost that in just my sierra gear and up grade to electric operation. wonder if this model will be coming to the US??????

Not sure man. You need to contact the US distributor for Phoenix Models. I found out about it from my local hobby shop and then searched the Phoenix Models web site.

Heres the link:

http://phoenixmodel.com/Default.aspx...atId=63&id=313

No manual has been posted on the web site but I'll keep checking back daily!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 AM
oconcj

Hi Royster

I added everything in their accessory kit. All the little vents , nav lites, wing fences. I'm also using their wheels. Very scale!

Chris
Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM
RoysterDW

Looking at how the Aerotech (or the TF) exhaust goes on it is going to have to extend past the cowl.

Is this how ya'all did it?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 AM
RoysterDW

How did everyone glue their canopy on? Im leaning towards 506 Canopy Glue but used silicone on my ESM Fw190 which works real well. I'd like the option to remove the canopy later if I want to put a pilot in. In which case would silicone be better?

Also how did you guys fill in the wing fillet gaps? I'm thinking 30min epoxy with micro balloons.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Jeremy_D

ORIGINAL: RoysterDW

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

Yep. I received an email from Darren of Model Engines today. They already have a test model in possession fitted out with an O.S. 55. Will be in the aussie warehouse 5-6 weeks! One of the owners at Budget Hobbies in Brissy saw it at the recent toy fair in Sydney and said its awesome. He's real pissed as he bought a TF P51 with an O.S. 55 soon after I bought mine and he said he's buying one and swapping out the gear.
The only thing I have concern for is the retracts it comes with. How good are they? You get spoilt after having Sierra. For the price I would even consider flying my TF 51 for a a few months then swapping out the gear as well.
I'm actually thinking of getting one of these. Just sold my Extreme Edge 540T for $400 so have some cash spare. Might be a good addition to the fleet.

Just about finished this puppy ready for a flight. (sorry I know it is not a P51 but is a top flite)

Name:	Hf99961.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1669253  
Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 AM
fujiman

the JUG looks good!!!!!!! hopefully they did things differently with it than they did with the 51. at least fewer issues. maybe T.F. addressed them via this thread. that being said i am cont. my build of ''JANIE'S GUN'' race 7 reno racer. today i'm extending the vert. stab. height to ''H'' model specs. Sierra retracts are off to ''DOWN AND LOCKED'' for electric conversion, (no more folding gear upon landing). just got my 1/5 scale formula 1 canopy for it. i don't have any pics. yet but you can look up the link on you tube under ''PRECIOUS METAL'' Reno racer.

go fast and turn left!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
RoysterDW

Yeah looked at the electric conversion of the sierras but holy %$* its as expensive as the retracts themselves! Hopefully EFlite will extend their range of new electric retracts to included larger planes. My EFlite retracts on my Hyperion 40e Mustang work beautifully.

So no feedback on canopy gluing? Guess I'll work it out myself.

Nice Jug Jeremy. I might start saving for the new Petie 2nd stang and will most probably go electric for power and club noise restrictions which are getting worse every year.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
RoysterDW

This thread isnt what it used to be but then again I am finding that on all the threads about this model. They must have all sold them and moved on.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM
fujiman

not doubt crashed or came apart in the air!!!!!!!! moved on to BETTER models!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

quote]ORIGINAL: fujiman and RoysterDW

not doubt crashed or came apart in the air!!!!!!!! moved on to BETTER models!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
[
fujiman and RoysterDW

Thanks for your best wishes !

I have three of the GS TF P-51D Mustangs and they are just fine and fly the same.
I am sorry that you had bad luck with yours and wish you no bad luck.

RoysterDW

Best of everything on yours also !

DH

Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
RoysterDW

Hopefully maiden mine this week end but depends on weather. Still in two minds if to put the pilot in or not. I come from the keep em light clan. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.