Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:15 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Mishap

So what do you guys think is a better all around warbird the P-51 ARF on this thread or a Y/A P-47?? I am talking ground handling and flight characteristics....just curious,,,
Old 01-12-2004, 02:55 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: nice picture

Hey Gary9648. you did a fantastic job. Is it monokoke or glass and paint? Good job, I cant tell.

Thanks
Gunny
Old 01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words there, no it is just monokote and some paint on the nose and canopy. I air brushed some powder burns on the machine gun ports. I installed some brass tubing in the guns to make them look more real. I also used some flat black and rust colored paint on the exhaust manifolds. The decal kit for the kit version has some nice interrior markings with them and the instrument panel matches the panel in the ARF kit.
I had to take the paint off the cowl and the paint just pealed off of the plastic parts. I found that they prime the plastic parts but do not rough up the surface first. If you try to mask off any of the plastic parts, the paint will peal right off. I did not have this problem on any of the glassed parts. I did call Great Planes distributers and told them of the problem. If you are experiencing the same problem, tell them, not just write it here. I know they were not aware of the problem. The Mustang is a very well built and finished ARF. They fly very well.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:37 AM
flyboy1950

Hi Gary. I'm just starting my TF P-51 and also plan not to use the "Big Beautiful Doll" design.
I will need to repaint the cowl and eliminate the remainder of the checks on the fuse. You indicate that the paint easily peels off the "plastic parts". The cowl is obviously fiberglass. What plastic parts are you refering too and how did you deal with the glass parts like the cowl. I'm going with the "Crazy Horse" aircraft for mine. Flyboy1950 (the other BobH!)
Old 01-14-2004, 04:42 PM
gary9648

The plastic parts were the canopy, gun ports, and exhaust. I pulled the paint off with masking tape. The cowl and wing belly pan was sanded with a orbital sander down to the primer. I then roughed up the plastic parts with a scotch brite pad to give the primer something to stick to. I removed all of the covering from the fuse.
Then statred all over.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:00 AM
flyboy1950

Thanks Gary. I don't know about you but I like flying something unique. Big Beautiful Doll has been overdone in my opinion. How did you deal with the markings (decals)? Did you have someone make them for you? "Crazy Horse" is right here in Florida so I can create all the images I need with a digital camera. The markings are simple. Unfortunately, I just went through this with the Hanger 9 big Mustang. I spent two months doing the scale interior, added a functional cooler flap on the rear belly (attached to the throttle servo), created scale hardpoints, etc and lost the aircraft on the third flight when the "new" Moki died in flight. I was upwind and running out of flying feild and was forced to do a deadstick downwind turn and it "bit" me! Total loss. I'll probably fly the TF a while before I go nuts on the detailing. The sliding canopy from Aerotech is haunting me a bit! I like the bigger size of the TF and I like the fact that I can change it with a minimal amount of work vs. "Marie" which would have required a total strip and recover. I also have a US-41 in my closet (I'm pretty mad at my Moki right now). I'm not a big beleiver in overpowering an aircraft. I think a scale aircraft should fly like it. I fly a GP Ryan STA with a Magnum 91 FS. It is on the low end of the power curve but I get rave reveiws on the scale way it flys. I think the US 41 will be fine. I also like the 5" wheels vs. the 3.5's on the HP. I fly off grass. Thanks! Flyboy 1950
Old 01-15-2004, 09:20 AM
easydog1

Hey Flyboy, did you get the Aerotech cockpit kit? I got all of there stuff and I,m just now starting to look it all over . I don't see how this stuff is going to fit without modification.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:00 AM
ilike2fly
My Feedback: (23)

"my machinist friend told me i was wasting my time with the tapping of wood. i was thinking that the machine bolts have more surface area contacting the wood, hence better mounting solution. "

Joe Eagle

I ripped the retracts out of my YA Zero. When I re-did the mounts I used oak and installed the retracts with wood screws. Machine bolts are for metal, wood screws are for wood
Old 01-15-2004, 02:03 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: flyboy1950

I don't know about you but I like flying something unique.
That's why I'm building the TF kit. Plus I like to build, and there is plenty of winter time to do it. I wish more planes were available as ARC's. That would be the best of both worlds. You could immediately see the build quality and strengthen any weak areas, plus you could cover the plane any way you want.

Kerry
Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
flyboy1950

Yo Easydog! I have not yet bought the Aerotech Canopy kit but I am seriously considering it.
I put a lot of work in the cockpit of the HP and my local clubs members really liked it. I also used the Blue Box Toys WW11 Pilot. Certainly not Top-Gun quality but pretty impressive at the local club level. Adding a sliding canopy would really finish it off!
Yo Kerrydel! Building from scratch is not my forte! My wife has enough problem with the time I spend in the garage getting an arf ready to go. Speaking of ARC's, Modeltech made a 65" P-51 ARC that flew the pants off the TF equivilant. Much better airfoil. Flew Like a pattern ship. One of the nicest flying airplanes I've owned. Got heavy into sailplanes for a while and sold it to a guy in TX who's using it as a display model.
Anybody got any experience applying the Aerotech Sliding canopy to the Top Flight ARF?
Flyboy1950
Old 01-15-2004, 05:20 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: flyboy1950
I don't know about you but I like flying something unique.
Flyboy1950:
I hear you. That is why I converted my T/F P-51 ARF into a "B" model ( [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1346438/mpage_1/key_p%252D51b/anchor/tm.htm#1346438]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1346438/mpage_1/key_p%252D51b/anchor/tm.htm#1346438[/link] ). I am covering it with Flite Metal. The wing is covered except for the leading edge and tips. I have some new pictures to upload as soon as I can get my camera software to start working again.

Kirk
Old 01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
gary9648

I had a local graphics guy cut me some decals and I used the decals from the Top Flight kit for OLD BOY. I would go easy on all the do dads untill you see how well the US41 flies your plane. Weight will be again't you if you over do it. I too am using a ful pilot figure and the dash panel from the kit decals matches the dash with ARF. I'm still waiting on Sierra retracts for the next one. i wish he could speed up the process.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

In regards to the US 41....go for it if you have it and aren't concerned about blazing speed...Besides if you need to upgrade here is a little known fact...the G-62 has the same mounting pattern so it is an easy fix for upgraded power...
So no one has answered the/my query..is the P-51 ARF as good a flier/ground handling as the Y/A P-47? Just curious..i have a Y/A P-47 and have yet to fly it..has a G-62 on it..I was thinking of starting w/ one of these as my first true large scale warbirds...thanks..
Old 01-16-2004, 08:15 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

nemesis4u, I'll try to answer your question. I have both planes. My P-51 isn't the ARF version its built up and powered with a G-45. My YA Jug has a Taurus 3.2 and has yet to be flown but I have flown other YA jugs. I think the jug flies so well its hard to compare to another plane but my P-51 flies very well too. The ground handeling is good on both planes and isn't really a concern. I also have a YA Spit and its a great flier too!..BobH.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
flyboy1950

Gary. Unfortunately the Robarts are backordered also. I've been waiting about a month! I think this is a popular kit right now. All the more reason I don't want to show up at the field with "another" Big Beautiful Doll.
Yo Nemesis! I think the US-41 is going to be fine for me. I'm looking for "scale" speed and find most guys fly their scale aircraft too fast. I'm used to an airplane with little margin for power. You learn power management and the end result is a plane that flys scale.
Hey BobH. I'm Bob Hart! (the other BobH!) Flyboy1950
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

If you are looking for the Robart retracts go to [link=http://www.chiefaircraft.com/]www.chiefaircraft.com/[/link]. They have them in stock and they are selling them for $209.95 which is cheaper than Tower.

Kirk
Old 01-18-2004, 06:57 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: air scoop

Used a pair of kitchen door latches from Home Depot to hold the air scoop on
to eliminate wing attachment holes in the air scoop.

guts of scoop(first picture):

Scoop on(second picture).

PS: decal application:
To apply decals with sticky backs, I cut the back of the paper in the center.
Keep both half's of the paper on the decal.
Align the decal where you want it.
While holding one side down for alignment, lift the other side up and pull off part of the paper from the center.
( can also tape the one side down instead of holding it)
Then push the decal down from the center out on the side where the paper has been partially removed.
As you push the decal down from the center to the outer edge, the paper peals off the end.
Then do the same for the other side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98224.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	91888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39677.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	91889  
Old 01-18-2004, 07:35 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: air scoop

Just keep in mind when installing the markings, there are no kill markings or pilot & crew list on the right side of the plane.

Name:	Qo39295.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	91903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55955.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	91904  
Old 01-18-2004, 08:27 PM
samparfitt

Default RE: cowling

I cut off the bottom portion of the cowling for easier access to maintenance of the engine compartment without having to remove spinner and prop.
Used small tin snips cutting from the back and then a jewler's saw to cut the round section.
Plan on gluing thin ply to top half and screw bottom half to top half of cowling and fuse.
Will post progress.

PS: the spinner is identical to Zingers 5" spinner (#6603).
Good if you want a spare or plan on a 4-blade prop but still want the original.
I'd say it was a Zinger, only with a better mounting plate, because the turn marks are identical.

Name:	Sq46892.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	91919  
Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
gunny11

Nice idea
Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Alvin

Just finished my first T/F arf mustang! Liked it so much I bought another one (can't have enough mustangs, 3 big Top Flites and 1 H-9 with a Fuji 50 ...) Both have g62 on C&H ignition. I also have the kit built one equipped the same . Can't wait until the tundra thaws so I can fly them....
The kit one flys great with the G62, much better than it did with a Quadra 52. Just remember the throttle goes both ways. The only problem with the arf is the cheesey gear doors but I have a friend that cuts them out of aluminum for me.

AL.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 PM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: Alvin

Just finished my first T/F arf mustang! Liked it so much I bought another one (can't have enough mustangs, 3 big Top Flites and 1 H-9 with a Fuji 50 ...) Both have g62 on C&H ignition. I also have the kit built one equipped the same . Can't wait until the tundra thaws so I can fly them....
The kit one flys great with the G62, much better than it did with a Quadra 52. Just remember the throttle goes both ways. The only problem with the arf is the cheesey gear doors but I have a friend that cuts them out of aluminum for me.

AL.
Even though this has probably been asked an thousand times how's the fitting of the G-62 in the TF P-51 ARF? is it do-able? Any pics with the 62 installed? Any room in the cowl for the Mick Reeves reduction drive?.

Grinder.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 PM
samparfitt

Got the top part of the cowl put on the plane.
It's a lot easier to mount with the lower part cut away.
I'm using the G-38.
I had one laying around so I'm using it.
It may not have enough power so I'll put a larger engine in; if necessary.
I rotated the G-38 about 10 degree to the carb doesn't stick out.
I also used the thinner carb extention that came with the engine: it
moved the carb in about a 1/2".

The other pictures are my cockput detail and I added panel lines.

Name:	Ay75400.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	92877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56904.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	92878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58347.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	92879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46940.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	92880  
Old 01-21-2004, 03:06 PM
mustang_fanatic
My Feedback: (14)

Hey guys killer thread. I purchased the Aerotech cockpit kit and scale accessories for mine. I came to the realization after completing the "tub" (with complete detailing and wear marks) that 1.5" had to be cut from the overall length. I also had removed the ply panel that defines the back of the seat area. Wrong move!
I did not realize that the servo tray butted right against this part. The correction has been made. I hope my 21st Century pilot still fits. Additionally, I am panel lining and rivoting the entire model, weathering included. I ordered scale flush rivot and screw head transfers form Pro-mark graphics. My model will also be equipped with the ZDZ60 and will swing a 23-6 four blade prop on a Zinger hub. I will shoot some pics and post within the comming days.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Alvin

Grinder,
The G62 fits in fine. I used Xenoah's long prop shaft on mine. This makes the engine sit back further so more of it is in the cowling but prevents me from using a pitts style muffler. I use a B&B muffler and it sticks out the side a little. The carb comes out the other side. The way I see it these things are flyers and not really super scale. If I was to go full scale I would pony up the $$ for one of Wayne's Aerotech kits, they're the best. I plan on using mine for everyday flyers. Sorry, no pics yet. I'll post them when #2 is finished.

AL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.