Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38 Lightning Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike are you committed to electric power?
The P-38 I'm flying has two DLE 35RA's and the left engine was modified to run counter clockwise. I use Zinger 18x10's right now and plan on using Zinger 3 blade props soon. Valley View Hobbies in WA did the mod for us. Two of these engines in this plane is pretty awesome. 50's or 55's would be pretty insane.

I ask because of the amount of money, time and effort it takes to store and manage LiPo's at this scale I believe there is better value in gas engines. No doubt the brushless power can be greater, I know, I used to work in the RC industry designing systems including motors for boats.
Gas engines today are just so good it's hard not to say anything.

Ive asked for the video, he said he stopped filming because it was too fast and he wanted to watch! Lol I can't get a decent video done around here! Lol
Old 09-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Chris Nicastro

At the field yesterday. What a machine!
I still need to finish the graphics but have been resisting paying crazy prices for masks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2216
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	2180881  
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Chris Nicastro

Oh by the way the best method I've found to work with the P-38 is saw horses with pads, see pic above. You can flip it over easily.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:51 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeJM
I may have sent you a PM a while back, not sure (old age).
Yes the center section is one piece, I didnt want to weeken the structure since I will be placing a considerable amount of battery weight under the canopy.

Currently I have Suppo 7035/8 190kv Brushless Motors ( I went cheap) swinging Beila semiscale 22x10 3 blades. But I'm investigating smaller motors since these are way over kill rated at a 48lb plane each. Basically 70cc-80cc motors.
I'm currently looking at some Scorpion SII-5535-160KV motors and plan on getting CW and CCW 3 blade props.

Here is a picture of my canopy access:

I made a video/ picture montage of my build if you want to see my journey to date: https://youtu.be/xQbO1d5cZvw

I can add some pictures here if that would be preferable.

Mike

Mike
Just watched your video, very nice.
I agree with Simple, I wouldn't go down in motor size, the Suppos should do the trick. I was actually thinking Eflite 360s on 10S to be able to spin the big Vario props. If you are looking at props, I highly recommend you check out Vario adjustable props http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html .
They have a 23.8" blade in the 25F series that would look awesome on that plane.

I will say I love my electric P-38, lots of power, no BS, very reliable, but the KV is too high for the props on my setup. Don't get me wrong, the plane flys awesome, has great vertical, its fast, and you can't beat the reliability. I'm just not taking advantage on having the adjustable props, and my efficiency is lower than I would like because the KV is too high .

Right now I have the 18" blade set to 12 pitch with 245 KV motor on 10S. If I could fine the "perfect" motors (same size/weight as I'm running with lower KV), I could theoretically run the 20" blades at lower RPM, with more pitch, using roughly the same power, getting a higher theoretical speed, with roughly the same static thrust. All good

Spinning large 3 blade props at higher RPMs takes a lot of power, but that isn't what moves the plane, it just uses your batteries. Takes a lot less power to spin them slower, and that's were the adjustable pitch comes in. Instead or running 12 pitch, you run 16-18-20, whatever your setup likes

Here a quick clip of a diving flyby. Plane has a theoretical S&L speed of right around a 88 MPH at 3.7 volts and 85% eff 3400 watts. I can tell you in flight, it does a lot better than that, and unless you point the nose straight up, watts are always well below 3000 watts, but at takeoff, I've seen it go over 4000 watts a side. As far as top speed, when it climbs the amps go up, which increase the voltage drop, and the RPM slows. When the props unload, amps goes down, voltage goes up, efficiency goes up, RPM goes up.

Keep up the great work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4i2mVS-REc
Old 09-13-2016, 06:17 AM
MikeJM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Mike are you committed to electric power?
The P-38 I'm flying has two DLE 35RA's and the left engine was modified to run counter clockwise. I use Zinger 18x10's right now and plan on using Zinger 3 blade props soon. Valley View Hobbies in WA did the mod for us. Two of these engines in this plane is pretty awesome. 50's or 55's would be pretty insane.

I ask because of the amount of money, time and effort it takes to store and manage LiPo's at this scale I believe there is better value in gas engines. No doubt the brushless power can be greater, I know, I used to work in the RC industry designing systems including motors for boats.
Gas engines today are just so good it's hard not to say anything.
Yes Chris, everything I own is electric. I already have a significant investment in batteries. I think I own stock options with Thunder Power because I've spent so much money with them.

Anyway when I got into RC a couple of years ago and I didn't have any guidance on power set ups, and remember the days of the old glow cox 049s and what a pain in the arse they were. So I got into electrics, I do like the convienence and reliability.

I have a scratch built foamie Spitfire that is electric.

If I knew my current flying buddy when I started I probably would be all gas right now.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 AM
MikeJM

Chris,
I followed your rebuild of that Yellow P-38 and I must say it's not possible to tell it was ever in the demolished state it was in. Being a carpenter by trade I know the difficulties of repairing versus starting from scratch. Most of the time it's easier to start new.

You did a wonderful job.

I was looking at the Scorpions 50cc primarily to drop some weight. The Scorpion SII-5535-160kv weighs 29.41 oz versus the Suppo at 47.36 oz. Add in the weight of my batteries (4ea TP High volt 5s 9000s) and I'm hoping to be under 48 lbs. I haven't weighed it yet, afraid to!

I have looked at the Vario props and yes they would look great. May eventually go with them in the future as I try to dial in my bird.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one small recommendation about the glass work. The tail booms have a design weakness that occurs after detailing cuts are made for the main gear doors and top hatch.

While strong as heck in the original build process as the doors and hatches are cut out the only truly structural material left is two thin strips about 2.5 inches on each side of the boom where the doors and hatch meet at the end.

I would recommend double glass or glass the internal structure at this point.

One or two bounces on landings and you will see cracking as the weight of the tail flexes this area - I have never seen it but I was told in the days of under powered engines a lot of guys bobbled the landings and the booms would snap off.

I was only told this after I was flying mine. Trusting what the guys were saying I put former's and skinned the inside of mine on both sides of both booms. 1 month later I had an engine drop off right after rotation and had to abort immediately. I forced it back down on the runway at speed and it bounced its way off the field and across a dirt runoff. The only damage was now I do see flexing cracks in that area.

So I now pay it forward and recommend a proactive build up in that area to everyone. "I have seen stress cracks on the fiberglass booms as well".

One of the differences between a gasser and electric is Landing weight. Gassers burn off fuel weight during the flight and therefore have less nose weight at landing. Electrics (while exacting through the power curve) are also exacting on weight and do not loose lbs. during the flight requireing landing speeds and prop torque to be higher during the process

However that short clip of Ragtop's fly by pretty much sells me on electric if I do another one.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1062
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2180973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	1112
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2180974  

Last edited by simple; 09-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 AM
70 ragtop

It funny you say that sold you on electric, if I can find another one, I would like to build it for gas.

Good advice on the booms! Even if I were to build one with glass booms, would add some CF tow thru that area. There is a build thread over in Flying Giants from a builder right here in CT, who ended up switching to glass booms. Not sure how hard the landing was, but cracked/broke both booms right at the aft end of the gear bays

I think Mike will be okay though. I think he mentioned in the video he is building the booms and center section as one, and not cutting all the strength out above the wing. There's a few videos of the P-38 on my youtube page

Here's an on board view practicing touch and goes. There is a fine line between greasing the landings, and flying it into the ground. Go just a little too slow, and the elevator runs out of authority to flare with full flaps down. Half my landings are perfect, the other half not so much, just need to come in a little faster. Started messing around with less flap, and if I use half flap, every landing is good, just a little fast. Need to practice pushing the nose down on final with full flap, but haven't had it out since last Sept

Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynv7A6ivaHs
Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM
MikeJM

Yes I have read about the structural weekness at the trailing edge of the wings. I have infact added carbon fiber tape down both sides of the booms and they are permanently attached to the center section. I may aslo go ahead and add another layer of FB in that area. I will take another critical look at it. Thanks guys
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM
simple

Default Death Dealer on Display

Partial Success at Warbirds Over the Rockies.

If it can happen it will!!

On the day of the scheduled flight at WOR a giant dust devil rolled right through the tent and dropped 1/16 inch of dirt and dust on all our birds from Ca.

We got lucky none were lost to major wind damage, however the dirt did git into my servos and you could hear the booms for the Fowler Flaps grinding in dust. Additionally the left engine ignition module for the DA 50 burned out. Unfortunately for me replacing the module was the last diagnostic and by the time the engine was running and synced with its twin the day was over, the wind was out of control and things just kept getting worse.

Once we had a "Close" enough sync for the engines we rushed to the flight line and found that while the right engine was running we fouled the plug during all the previous attempts and it would not idle. Additionally all the starting attempts had broken the right main outside gear door loose at the lower air cylinder.

After a quick repair to the door we started the engines and pointed her into the 20+mph gusting winds and said "Hail Marry"

Just as I committed to the roll-out I noticed the main gear door break loose again but decided I would just keep the gear down and kept pushing the throttle forward. The bird railed down the runway past mid throttle reaching speed and rotating right into major wind gust!!

Needless to say having chose to fly with battle damage (in the right wing) provided for a hair raising wild ride around the stakes. P-38's can flip on their backs quicker than "Lightning" and this one tried at every opportunity

I built this bird as a tribute to the D-Day landing and the P-38 that Jimmy Doolittle flew during Operation Overlord reporting directly back to Eisenhower.

I was also motivated by pictorial records of P-38's on an Emergency Landing Strip ELS-1 on Omaha beach during the invasion and
created a static display ground support crew with stands, gear, tools and a weapons cleaning table replicating a photo of an actual crew working on a P-38.

Following up on the theme, I created battle damage replicating a photo I found which depicted a P-38 with a shot out left engine and a giant hole in the right wing flying back to Saipan after a strafing run on Iwo Gima.

https://www.fold3.com/image/48495306...7-3839031e515c
1. 5 January 1945 1Lt Fred Eberle P-38 Lightning named “Ripper” of the 333rd FS 318th Fighter Group

2. ELS-1 Omaha Beach D+2

3. P-38
Maintenance Field Depot
Ground crew members of the 459th Fighter Squadron, nicknamed the "Twin Dragon Squadron", working on a Lockheed P-38 at an air base in Chittagong, India – January 1945

4. Lt Gen Jimmy Doolittle with Maj Gen Curtis LeMay standing
in front of a Lockheed P-38 Lightning in Britain, 1944.

Name:	5_January_1945_1Lt_Fred_Eberle_P-38_Ripper_of_the_333rd_FS_318th_FG.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	2183417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P-38J_with_D-Day_stripes_serial_42-68071_of_the_392nd_FS_367th_FG_sits_on_the_newly-constructed_.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	2183418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2183419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doolittle1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2183420  

Last edited by simple; 09-29-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM
simple

Default Wild Ride

Attached are photos of the static display, aftermath of the dust storm and a few of the flight. When I set the display up it was pretty, after the dust storm blew through it looked more like a North Africa setup vs. Normandy.

Name:	IMG_2377.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2183423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2379.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2183424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2183425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	2183426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2595.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	2183427  

Last edited by simple; 09-29-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM
simple

The videos are a walk around of the Display before it was shipped to Denver and cleaning off the Dust while in Denver. I did not get any good pictures of the display or do a walk around video before the dust devil hit.

The setup won "Critics Choice" Best Static Display @ WOR with WWII Fighter Ace "Bud" Anderson in attendance!!!!

On Sunday Bud said he enjoyed the presentation and allowed this photo of us watching the event.

If you have not been to WOR I recommend it. While it does draw a large crowd it is still very much a "Pilots" event and a guy with a 50cc bird can win and be recognized just like a guy with a 500cc bird.

Anymore guys who have 114" birds can be outclassed by the giant 100lbs+ birds at the larger events. However at WOR they recognize the individual Model, the flyer and the subject matter.

P.S. I saw WAYNE LAYNE's giant P-38 with 2x 3-W 150cc inline twins as an "Under Development" display. Its in the bones and not painted but already a thing of beauty and a project to follow. Wayne approximated 6 months to the maiden flight..

I have to thank my buds from Warbirds West for helping me get to this event.

Walk Around = https://youtu.be/res-DCw-9S0

Dust-Off = https://youtu.be/UYSdQggRkjc

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/res-DCw-9S0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UYSdQggRkjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Name:	IMG_2439.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2183428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2568.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2183429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2183437  

Last edited by simple; 09-29-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:19 PM
70 ragtop

Very Nice!
The battle damage is pretty slick...well done! Amazing how nice P-38's handle the wind. My 90" green one (RIP) flew great in strong gusty winds. As long as you landed with no flap, it didn't seem to care about the wind at all.

Congratulations, well deserved!

BTW, That's a very cool trophy
Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 PM
simple

To be honest I don't remember the entire flight, much of it is lost in adrenaline and instinctive reactions. I do remember pulling off a left to right knife edge pass (as seen in the photo) and being amazed at how well the bird held the angle in the wind. However when I nosed her down and pointed her in the wind for final the nose would not come up. I was pulling full elevator and the nose was still being pushed down by the wind. I can't complain about it because I chose to fly in it and was lucky to get away with it.

I was trying to give myself a 10% chance of success before the flight and put rockets under the left wing hopping the additional drag would off-set the disturbed airflow from the battle damage in the right wing. Additionally I placed a thin strip of clear plastic over the battle damaged hole in the right wing hopping to reduce air escaping from the bottom of the wing through to the top.

After flying it, I believe all I accomplished was disturbed air flow in critical lift locations on both wings... This bird was SNAP happy..
Old 10-14-2016, 04:51 PM
zrooster

Gents, I've finally decided to take the plunge and build a Ziroli (with help from some highly experienced builders). I've read a lot of threads both on here and Flying Giants with fiberglass booms mentioned several times, but no source indicated. Can someone speak to whether these places have the fiberglass booms, or just wood kits for the booms: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/z-p-38.htm
http://www.nationalbalsa.com/Ziroli_...show=80&page=1

If not, is there presently a good source for fiberglass booms that anyone's aware of?

I still have a lot of research to do, but I want to get these booms now (if available) in case they're not available later. Basically, I'm starting to collect needed parts, starting with those that may or may not be around in the future.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:38 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi Guys
I'm about ready to do the radio installation on my ZP38 and would appreciate your suggestions. I will be using my Futaba 14SG tx and R7008sb receiver(s??) and plan to take advantage of the SBus system where possible.
Our local "large model" rules encourage the use of 2 receivers and demand the use of redundant power supplies, switches etc.
What have you guys used?
Where did you locate the receiver(s) and\or hubs.
Did you use power boxes with 2 batteries per receiver?
And what were the advantages + disadvantages.
Were there situations where these installations definitely prevented an accident?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Last edited by flyingpiggy; 10-16-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 PM
70 ragtop

Did you call Ziroli? They used to sell fiberglass booms and fuselages for several of their designs, but I don't see any listed now.

Originally Posted by zrooster
Gents, I've finally decided to take the plunge and build a Ziroli (with help from some highly experienced builders). I've read a lot of threads both on here and Flying Giants with fiberglass booms mentioned several times, but no source indicated. Can someone speak to whether these places have the fiberglass booms, or just wood kits for the booms: http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/z-p-38.htm
http://www.nationalbalsa.com/Ziroli_...show=80&page=1

If not, is there presently a good source for fiberglass booms that anyone's aware of?

I still have a lot of research to do, but I want to get these booms now (if available) in case they're not available later. Basically, I'm starting to collect needed parts, starting with those that may or may not be around in the future.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 PM
70 ragtop

On my 90" P-38, I had a rx in each boom which controlled that side of the plane. In the Yellow, I had just one Powersafe RX in the pod under the radio rack. I used the methods described in the link below, to simply add a couple diodes for redundant power. Mine are electric, so I just tapped off the main batteries in each boom with 20amp BECs. and powered both RX from both BECs. The Yellow was simpler as both sides powered one RX. Only on side will power the RX. If you loose power from first side, the other side's power is right there to pick it up. Powersafe RXs do this for you, but I added diodes as added insurance.

For locations put satellite RX all the way fwd in the pod going left to right, behind the pilot is fwd and aft, and in each boom in the radiator area at opposite 45s. Was a long time Futaba guy, but switched to JR when moving to 2.4, so no help there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2312424

Originally Posted by flyingpiggy
Hi Guys
I'm about ready to do the radio installation on my ZP38 and would appreciate your suggestions. I will be using my Futaba 14SG tx and R7008sb receiver(s??) and plan to take advantage of the SBus system where possible.
Our local "large model" rules encourage the use of 2 receivers and demand the use of redundant power supplies, switches etc.
What have you guys used?
Where did you locate the receiver(s) and\or hubs.
Did you use power boxes with 2 batteries per receiver?
And what were the advantages + disadvantages.
Were there situations where these installations definitely prevented an accident?

Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 PM
zrooster

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Did you call Ziroli? They used to sell fiberglass booms and fuselages for several of their designs, but I don't see any listed now.
Thanks! I'll give Ziroli a call tomorrow.

My project is going to be both ambitious and expensive. Like Kolm engines and Sierra Retracts expensive and fowler flaps and dive brakes ambitious. I'm budgeting 3 years for the project, with the intent to work faster if possible. I might back off on the dive brakes but not the fowlers... It's also an opportunity for me to learn from some experienced builders.

I'll post updates as I go.

Are you still handing out brotherhood numbers?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM
70 ragtop

Sounds like a great project!. Please post back once you talk to Ziroli. Very interested to hear what they say

As far as numbers, see post 1218

Originally Posted by zrooster
Thanks! I'll give Ziroli a call tomorrow.

My project is going to be both ambitious and expensive. Like Kolm engines and Sierra Retracts expensive and fowler flaps and dive brakes ambitious. I'm budgeting 3 years for the project, with the intent to work faster if possible. I might back off on the dive brakes but not the fowlers... It's also an opportunity for me to learn from some experienced builders.

I'll post updates as I go.

Are you still handing out brotherhood numbers?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:54 PM
flyingpiggy

Hi 70 ragtop
thanks for the info

Regards
Dave
Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New P-38

Add me to the Brotherhood!
Here are a few pics of the P-38 project that I have aquired. It is 104" wingspan and has counter rotating Sachs 3.2 engines.
It needs a bit of re-work to modernize some things and systems.
I also need to cut the struts to lower the plane some. It has Robart gear.
It has glass pod, booms, wing covers, and canopy hatch and frame. The wings and stab are sheeted foam.
I have the molds and the original plugs to make more.

Name:	1017161457-1.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2186346   Click image for larger version

Name:	1017161459-1.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2186347  

Last edited by JeffH; 10-17-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 AM
zrooster

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Sounds like a great project!. Please post back once you talk to Ziroli. Very interested to hear what they say

As far as numbers, see post 1218
Disappointed on the numbers, but understand.

I would have replied yesterday, but had a problem with my internet at home. I spoke with a very nice lady at Ziroli yesterday afternoon. The guy who was making the fiberglass fuselages (including the P-38 booms) retired. They are working to get the molds and hire someone to start working them and plan to continue offering the booms once this is done. Apparently they still have some fuselages for other models in stock, but no more P-38 booms at present. No idea how long the hiatus will be.

Note: This does not effect other fiberglass parts like cowlings, fairings and the like.

So, I plan to get the short kits that I need and all other available parts and start plugging away in hopes that things will pan out in the future with the booms. In the mean time, if anyone knows of a set that someone would like to part with, I would be very interested. Worst case, I build the booms and reinforce appropriately. For those that don't know, there's a weakness in the design and the booms are prone to breaking just aft of the wing...the fiberglass booms solve this issue...otherwise you have to reinforce.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM
540chevelle
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Chris didn't know you had a P-38. I am working on getting a Robart 38 up flying. you have to bring your over to Wenatchee this next summer.
Mike has a Yellow 38 as well. would be cool to get them all up.
Jon
Old 10-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by 540chevelle
Hey Chris didn't know you had a P-38. I am working on getting a Robart 38 up flying. you have to bring your over to Wenatchee this next summer.
Mike has a Yellow 38 as well. would be cool to get them all up.
Jon
Yep it's a blast and I'm looking forward to next year. Stay on Mike to finish that bad boy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.