Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 P-51 60cc

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use a 100mm servo? I guess I bought the wrong length...
Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 AM
kalzone

I don't see why not. It will just make it harder the get the canopy on. With the 140mm you can run the canopy all the way back to the slots to get the canopy on and off.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:40 PM
R/C Foolish

How dos you get your hands inside? Do you have any pictures of how you mounted linear servo?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:13 PM
kalzone

It's mounted to a peice of lite ply using the metal clamps that come with the accuator on the top stringers. I had to get creative with using tools for fingers. To get it set in place you'll need to do the mod to the canopy frame and make the push rod to know where to mount the accuator. I would make the push rid longer than what I had put on the post from page 17
Old 02-11-2017, 04:31 AM
R/C Foolish

The T piece has 2 holes in it, right? One is 1" down for the new pin to ride in the track and another at the very bottom for the rod connector?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:47 AM
kalzone

Yes that is correct
Old 02-11-2017, 05:58 AM
R/C Foolish

What about leaving original G10 in place, adding additional G10 in front of original G10 with a new T piece to connect to rod? Reason I ask is I already have my canopy glued onto frame...it should still function ok?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:03 AM
kalzone

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I did a second canopy but I forgot to put in a new t part. I cut the front edge of the frame and removed the old T glued in a new one with hysol and a filler peice to fill in the cut frame
Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some advice on the canopy frame. Recently while flying my H9 D model, the rear piece of wood that holds the g10 and sliding pin broke in the middle. The g10 piece fell out and remained in the rear groove while the canopy, free to flop around, moved enough to break the magnets apart and allow the slipstream to tear the canopy off of the fuselage. I saw something separate from the plane and fall away so I brought the plane around for a slow inspection pass. The canopy was gone so I landed the plane to check for other damage.One of the guys present went out in the golf cart to look for the canopy and soon returned with it. The frame had numerous cracks in it and the front sliders were damaged by the canopy being yanked off of the plane. I returned home to see what could be done to repair it. The first thing I did was go online and buy a new canopy kit from horizon. I tried to glue the pieces of the sliders back together but they were too badly damaged and not even suitable for patterns to make new parts. I found some aircraft grade ply to make new parts out of, and an old, damaged canopy from my first plane that was lost when a flap servo failed on landing (the canopy had been cracked but the frame was intact.Using a Hobbico hot knife I separated the broken parts from the canopy frame without damaging it further and repaired the cracked front u-frame with credit card stock glued on with canopy glue. I also removed the unbroken front sliders from the old canopy frame to use as spare parts. On examining the parts I realised that they were not suitable for their intended use in the first place so I used them as patterns to make new parts out of the A/C grade ply.Then I examined the rear fake wood part that supports the rear slider. Its wood was so fragile (not even as strong as air-ply, or hard balsa) that I wondered how it had lasted for 50 flights in the first place. I glued it back together and reinforced it with a piece of A/C grade ply infront of the slider hole, then glued the slider back in. After checking for proper fit and travel I glued another piece of A/C ply under the broken part behind the slider to further reinforce the cross piece and trimmed it where necessary for clearance to allow the canopy to slide back and forth. You can't see the repairs made to the canopy from outside and it will resist slipstream forces better now. I also had to buy some carbon fiber rod from the LHS to make the front alignment pin that was lost when the canopy was ripped off of the plane. It was not an exact fit but I chucked a piece into a drill motor and sanded it down until I had a good tight fit in the frames.A test flight was next and it all worked OK so, to avoid having this failure I recommend that you install reinforcements under the rear slider and hope that the front pieces won't fail. I will replace all of these parts with real wood when I build the new canopy kit for a spare part.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 AM
helihobby

Hi in the list of required parts (not included) there are two 10-32 swivel Clovis horns HAN3615 but can't find any information in the manual of where these go.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:07 PM
R/C Foolish

How did you get the clevis on the new g10 piece? I can't get in there?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
kalzone

You have to run the accuator all the way out with the push rod sticking out of the canopy slot
Old 02-27-2017, 10:09 AM
R/C Foolish

I have it all working. Posted on U Tube. Looks great! Thank you for all of your help.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by R/C Foolish
I have it all working. Posted on U Tube. Looks great! Thank you for all of your help.
Can you post a link to your video, Please.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM
R/C Foolish

Did anybody change to carbon fiber wing tubes? Where did you get them?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
WI53072

Have any of you guys have a spare set of the wheels you'd sell? Also, have any of you sent back the gear doors inner and outer? The ones that came with my kit are really crummy. I sure hope this plane flies better than it assembles. I'm really thinking the TopRC Mustang is far superior to this plane. Are you listening Horizon? Besides all the small stuff, the manual is really el'stinko where the pictures are concerned. I'd hope that they would improve that moving forward.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:05 PM
WI53072

Next question, what Servo arms are being used on the inner door Servos? I'm running hitech 5645's but can't find info on the servo arms being used?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 PM
sjhanc

I use Dubro heavy duty servo arms with Hitec 5645 servos, one package should have what you need for 2 servos. My local hobby shop stocks them. My first plane had excellent gear doors, the second plane's doors are crap. I spent hours trying to make them fit. Don't try to heat them to bend them to shape,(like you can do with fiber glass parts) the heat will distort them,(made from crappy plastic) and they still won't fit. You could make a new set from ply in less time.In spite of the quality control issues (What quality control?), the plane is a great flying Mustang. I have bought my last plane from Horizon, I am now building a Jerry Bates P-51B (same size), and using a Vic Catalasan glass fuselage. The cost will be about the same, and my build quality is far better than the BOZOs who build the H9 Mustang. I have been assembling Giant Scale ARF models for 17 years, now the ARFs are behind me, I will build from kits or from plans like the Bates planes or Ziroli.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM
WI53072

I have some stock arms that came with the Servos and I have a pair of SWB's I could use. The ones they show in the picture kind of look long and narrow?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM
WI53072

Just pulled trigger on a gear door set. I just can't abide by the poor quality on the ones that came with the plane. I almost bought a new center section and may still. I understand certain issues but when the parts don't fit properly that's not good. Still waiting on wheels too and hope those come in soon.

Paul
Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 AM
sjhanc

Be sure and wiggle each of the fiber glass control hinge blades, the factory omits roughing the gluing surface. They will break loose in flight, may cause a loss of control. Both of my planes landed with loose hinges after the first flights.The engine cowling mount tabs are attached to the plane with some weak sticky stuff, drill holes through them into the nose structure, then push toothpicks through with gorilla brown glue to secure the tabs. If a front tab shakes loose, the cowl will rub on the spinner backplate. Install a piece of good ply under the canopy's rear slider mount, the original is made from fake imitation wood and when it fails, the canopy will tear off in flight.After you experience the low speed handling, you will forget about the build problems.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:29 AM
WI53072

SJ,

Thanks!

I sure would like to have this plane ready by May! At my current pace it will be May 2018!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 04:44 AM
Futterama

I have this model but has not started building it yet.

If the model is so poor build quality but still it flies so well, would there be anything wrong in taking the model totally apart and create a set of personal drawings of the model and then build a copy from scratch? I mean, there are so many things to change on the model already, and I have some major internal changes I want to do myself, so having an ARF to create drawings from and then build one from scratch, that just seems very appealing to me. You could say I would create my own kit, but have access to the hard to do yourself stuff like canopy, cowl, landing gear ect.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:13 AM
WI53072

Originally Posted by Futterama
I have this model but has not started building it yet.

If the model is so poor build quality but still it flies so well, would there be anything wrong in taking the model totally apart and create a set of personal drawings of the model and then build a copy from scratch? I mean, there are so many things to change on the model already, and I have some major internal changes I want to do myself, so having an ARF to create drawings from and then build one from scratch, that just seems very appealing to me. You could say I would create my own kit, but have access to the hard to do yourself stuff like canopy, cowl, landing gear ect.
If you do that, be sure to do an assembly manual and include pictures that actually show clearly what is being done. The manual is done very poorly. I've tried viewing the manual in PDF format on my computer and it still is not very good,

Paul
Old 04-25-2017, 08:23 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

Default H9 P-51 60cc main landing gear doors

Had two sets of main lg doors in my kit. Anyone in need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.