Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyraider Brotherhood (All Skyraiders Welcome)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyraider Brotherhood (All Skyraiders Welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 07:06 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Appreciate that I have been included in the Skyraider Brotherhood. Will soon be flying the Ziroli A1. Just finished a center wing repair that included fixing the right retract nest, upgrading the design to a more muscular structure and refitting the left retract nest so it the same as the right one.
Finished testing all areas since the layover was long, 15 months. Added a center pylon to the wing in order to install a dropable External fuel tand or a 3rd dropable napalm.
Once more, thanks for the induction and if you are ever in Puerto Rico, contact me.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM
gonzalobures

Default #18 Brother updating

Took the A1 Skyraider to our club today, tested the engine, taxied and everythings fine. Even thou the photos show a reasonable day, 20 minutes after the sky opened and it did not stop raining. So the maiden is moved to next wednesday.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:41 AM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Love the Skyraiders! nice job! here (yet another) video I put together when I was bored this winter. More Skyraiders!!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:55 AM
gonzalobures

Hey Phil, your model flies great, you are a very good pilot and definitively your Skyraiders bomb drop are the coolest I have ever seen.
I have had many planes with bomb/External tanks drops, P47's, P51D's, A1 Skyraiders, ME 110, Me 109's, Zero's, but your multiple/simultaneous many size bomb drop is the best. Guess that looking for the tiny ones is not part of the fun thou??? But what the heck, a man has to work for his enjoyment....

Take care and good health to you and your family. Gonzo

Last edited by gonzalobures; 04-10-2021 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2021, 03:16 AM
gonzalobures

Weather is not helping with the re-maiden of "Chona". Yesterday, 4/14/21 went to the club fly the Skyraider, but the wind was fully crossed 90 degress across the runway. Not a good enviroment to do a maiden. Diid taxi "Chona" to burn some gas and anxiety.

A friend took a video of the taxing:

Old 04-28-2021, 01:21 PM
gonzalobures

Finally, today 4/28/21, I was able to give the re-maiden. The weather was not good at all, but did not want to wait any longer. After three aborted re-maiden visits to the field, today was the day. Flew the A1 Skyraider with all its payload off to test it as clean as possible.

It rained, with the thunder clouds the wind was crazy changing direction continously. There was lightning, there was rain, there was strong wind, but it was done. During the maiden the wind was East/Norhteast or 45 degrees to the runway.

Lightning started after I took off, if not I would have aborted specially with my old whip mghz antena.

This is the video.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:50 AM
Fili

Awesome! Congrats! Always loved the Skyraider!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Steelhead13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Join Skyraider...

Hi,
I''d like to join your group. I have a large Skyraider that an older fellow scratch built. It will need some restoration work down the road.
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:12 AM
gonzalobures

Yesterday, 5/6/21 had a full flying session with "Chona". At last all the ducks got in line and I was able to fly "Chona".

The Skyraider flew flawlessly although I cannot say the same for me. Had various flights but one of the landings was not good at all. The others were but that one wasn't.
At least the bad landing tested the wing repair and it stood to the test with flying colors.

The original wing breaking landing was 30% as bad as this one. That one broke the right landing gear of the wing along with the parts of the wing structure. This bad landing was a lot more stressfull on the area and no harm done. The fix worked although I am ashamed of such a poor demosntration.

The other landings were very good thou.

Video
Old 07-13-2021, 03:57 AM
Fili

Me trying to keep up with Rogers P47 at Fair Haven Vermont. Bombs drop about halfway thru the vid

Old 07-14-2021, 05:14 AM
gonzalobures

Phil very nice summer day. Seems you enjoyed it to the fullest. Very good flight. Did not see your classical bomb drop thou.

I am presently in the finishing touches of a Ziroli FW 190. Its an old gal built by a very good friend who is a top builder. Will post it soon.

Continue to enjoy the summer.

Gonzo
Old 07-23-2021, 10:05 AM
gonzalobures

Took "Chona" for a ride last Wednesday, 7/21/21. Flew fine with all her wapons with the exception of the Napalm tanks. Tried a new approach process to bring the Skyraider at a lower altitude and more parllel to the ground. Improve the approach but was so concentrated in speed vs height that did not pay attention to location. Almost landed in the grass which is somewhat high right now. Otherwise had a goof flight. Lost the canopy in one of the low passes. Found it in the grass after searching for a while but it was cracked and in two pieces.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:09 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skyraider Brotherhood
Start Date: 07-23-2014
Current Date: 08-16-2021
Roster

Welcome to the Skyraider Brotherhood Steelhead13 #19

1. Flight Lead: The late Charlie Kellogg
2. Warbirdrcer OK, USA
2.5 Talimena Kidd OK, USA
3. SBDdauntless PA, USA
4. P51NUT OK, USA
5. brn2fly FL, USA
6. Don Perry OK, USA
7. leadgofer IL, USA
8. planerc49 PA, USA
9. gsmith6879 OK, USA
10. SIXGUNS MN, USA
11. BobParis HI, USA
12. Ram-broNE, USA
13. chistechMA, USA
14. DagoRacer13
15. Fili NY USA
16. flass1 MD USA
17. Mallen PA USA
18. gonzalobures Sabana Seca, Toa Baja, Puerto Rico
19. Steelhead13 North Central CT USA
20. J. P. OK USA

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 08-16-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:30 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Default Charlie Kellogg AD-5 Flies Today

I made the first 2 flights on my Kellogg AD-5 Skyraider today. This project started several year ago, but it made it thanks to several friends over the years. You can see the build thread here: Kellogg's AD5 Skyraider Build - RCU Forums (rcuniverse.com)
The start is post #9, and the kid in the photo is 15 now. Thank you to all who helped over the years.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:30 AM
Steelhead13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Leadgofer,
I've got a twin of this baby. I purchased it from a wife of a deceased club member a while back. Her husband had scratch built it, but it needs some TLC. I'll have to post some pictures of it w/measurements to get some feedback from you and others regarding what size engine I'd need. It did not come with a motor. The cockpit is yellowed and might have to be replaced or have a new one built, but it has the same markings as yours. You did a beautiful job with the weathering and painting! Congrats!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:44 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Fella's, i am at the point i need to decide on an engine for my Ziroli Skyraider.
Please tell me what you are using or what you feel is the best choice.
A radial would be great but that is too much for the budget.
Thank you!

Old 08-27-2021, 11:59 AM
gonzalobures

Hi Sclaguy, will not call you "old" since that depends on many other things, not just on a birth date. I have in my Ziroli Skyraider a 3W 75US. Don't really now if 3W still markets that engine. Its very powerfull, stingy in gas consumption and very reliable.I had already the 3W in stock so the decision was easy.
Other friends have flown it with a Zenoah 62. Those models are very light and do not have many items hanging from the wings. The engine does not provide much spare power thou.
If have not had the 3W and budget was an important part of my decision, I would consider a DLE.85. I have a couple of DLE 55 RE and they are very powerfull, run well and are very cost concious. The DLE 85 price is around $600 - $650 less than a Zenoah 62. This engines are light so no weight tax is paid. Overpowered? Naaaa, that what the throttle is for. Props are larger and a little more expensive, but power is there at a low cost.

Hope to have helped you.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:12 PM
WARBIRDRCER

OldScaleGuy, I agree with gonzalobures on the 85 recommendation. I am running a DA-85 and this plane is 43 or so pounds and has plenty of power. Recently I saw where DLE's 85 now comes with a vibration dampening mount. I am interested in one myself, since the 85s are known for some single cylinder vibrations. DLE85 RC Model engine | DLE (dlengine.com)

However, DA offers a great product and support first hand. Friends have sent damaged DAs to them, and only had parts cost, and no labor cost for repairs.

Have you seen the UMS round engines from C&H Ignition:
UMS ENGINES Archives - CH-ignitions

I have been looking at these, and from what I can find, they are a reliable and more affordable way to to have a round engine.

As gonzalobures said, we can always pull the throttle back, but I can say with other Z planes, the 85cc is the only way to go, especially when full war-power is needed, it is there. In addition, no matter what powerplant you decide to go with, nose weight is always needed, so might as well add power while adding weight.

Great looking airframe too. Keep us up on what you decide and when you are flying.

Blueskys,
Warbirdrcer

Old 08-28-2021, 02:37 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you fella's.
As things have worked out as of this morning, i have sold a plane that has a great running DLE-85 in it.
However, the buyer prefers to purchase the plane without the engine.
Problem solved and the Skyraider will get the DLE-85.
The following users liked this post:
SIX GUNS (08-28-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:27 AM
flyboy077

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flyboy077

Please sign me up. I'm currently putting together a Legend Hobby Skyraider.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 AM
gonzalobures

I am Brother #18. Had a fun day last wednesday 11/24/21, with my friends at our Club Borinquen RC in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. One of my friends prepared the attached video of the day flights and sent it to me on my birthday last 12/2/21.
Even thou I am 69 years old (you are only "69" once), I love Rock specially Gun's & Roses, Rafa prepared the video with 2nd section with one of their signature tones. I really appreciate him for many things and this is just one more.
I love my A-1 Skyraider "Chona La Puerca Asesina", for its looks and flight characteristics. Hope to continue having birthdays sharing them with my wife, kids, friends and models.

Hope you enjoy Rafa's video of "Chona"

Gonzo

Old 12-06-2021, 05:29 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Gonzalobures, Great looking and flying plane. Your friend did a great job with the video too. You also have a good looking flying field. I see you had some great weather to fly that day. Here in Oklahoma, all last week were light winds and mild temps, and I was on vacation, but was installing a new heat and air system in my house. Oklahoma hardly ever has several days of calm winds, but when it did last week, I was not able to fly. Thank you for sharing. Helps those of us that have winter approaching keep our chins up and over the build table and looking forward to next flying season.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Skyraider Brotherhood
Start Date: 07-23-2014
Current Date: 12-06-2021
Roster

Welcome to the Skyraider Brotherhood.

1. Flight Lead: The late Charlie Kellogg
2. Warbirdrcer OK, USA
2.5 Talimena Kidd OK, USA
3. SBDdauntless PA, USA
4. P51NUT OK, USA
5. brn2fly FL, USA
6. Don Perry OK, USA
7. leadgofer IL, USA
8. planerc49 PA, USA
9. gsmith6879 OK, USA
10. SIXGUNS MN, USA
11. BobParis HI, USA
12. Ram-broNE, USA
13. chistechMA, USA
14. DagoRacer13
15. Fili NY USA
16. flass1 MD USA
17. Mallen PA USA
18. gonzalobures Sabana Seca, Toa Baja, Puerto Rico
19. Steelhead13 North Central CT USA
20. J. P. OK USA
Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 AM
gonzalobures

Warbirdrcer, thanks for your praise. Hope you have a good winter with just enough snow to remind us of the Christmass season. May you be able to build during that hibernation period the model of your desires. May spring come soon enough with the right weather and no Oklahoman Hurricanes! Even thou we have our share of bad weather with the hurracanes, they are nothing compared to the concentrated power of your twisters.

As for winter, the only snow I used to see was in the fridge when they were not frost free. Now with the frostless fridges, e don't see it ever.

Tommorow I will be taking "Chona" back to our flying site. We will have a "Old man BarBQ with the old buddies. We enjoy our flying field during the week when its more quiet and less concurred.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:06 AM
WARBIRDRCER

Now there is a group of flying buddies that know how to have fun. If I ever have the chance to visit Puerto Rico, I look forward to meeting you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.