Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle - Which Engine -OS Max - 120.AX or DLE 30 Gas Engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle - Which Engine -OS Max - 120.AX or DLE 30 Gas Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle - Which Engine -OS Max - 120.AX or DLE 30 Gas Engine

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to getsome opinions about using an OS Max 1.20AX engine in the ESM - P-51B Mustang-"Bald Eagle"?

I am also thinking of the DLE 30 Gas engine as an alternate engine. I have anew OS Max 1.20AX engine with about 8-10 runs on it. I would like to use thisengine and not have to lay out another $300.00 if possible, it seems like sucha nice engine & very powerful. I had it in a "U-CAN DO 3D -60"& it had unlimited vertical performance. However I don’t want the engine tobe marginal.

ESM - P-51B Mustang -"Bald Eagle"

Manufacture Specs:
Wing Span: Approx. 71”
Fuse Length: 62.3”
Wing Area: 6.11sq. ft
Wing Loading: 33 oz/sq. ft
Weight Approx.: 13.5lbs.
Engine: 1.08 2 cycle -1.20-1.50 4-cycle or 26CC gas
Prop Recommendation: (For OS 1.20) 16x8 or 15x10

Would this OS Max 1.20AX engine with a - "J'TEC"-Radiowave In-Cowlmuffler, set up inverted, be a good choice? I don't want it to be marginal inwhere I need to run the engine at 75% to 100% full power just to keep the planeflying.

As per the specs, it says that the total airplane weight should come in ataround 13.5 lbs. This is debatable...... I weighed out the pieces of mine andmine came out to 15.4lbs. From what I have read in other threads this is in thesame ball park as other ESM -P-51B planes.

Also if I go with the OS Max 1.20AX, I also need a recommendation for Propsizes for this particular Warbird / Engine 1.20 OS Max setup. (If I choose togo this way)?

I have checked with OS, and OS Max recommends 16X8, 15X10. But I was lookingfor someone who may have a similar set up and which Prop Size, Brand & Typethat worked well for them.

So what would you recommend?

• Go with the OS Max 1.20AX engine with a -"J'TEC"-Radiowave In-Cowl muffler?

Or

• Buy a new DLE 30 size Gas engine?

However keep in mind I do not want to sacrifice the plane but if the OS Maxwill fly it well then, Great…..

Thanks A Bunch

Eddie

Last edited by Electriceddie; 08-17-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 AM
oldtimer4759

hello, this must be 6 times you have made this post, or something similar, several members have ALREADY told you the 120 wont be enough for what you want, the model needs something like a 26 cc petrol engine at least or better, it should fly very well with the OS 120 on a good long down slope, but you are looking at a model that will end up around 14 lbs, including retracts, I have the same model, started off with a 26cc, it flew OK, but I now have a 35cc in it, now it goes like a fighter should.

it WILL FLY WELL WITH THE 30CC DLE ENGINE... it will probably fly with the 120. but it will go a LOT better with the DLE.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Electriceddie

Originally Posted by oldtimer4759
hello, this must be 6 times you have made this post, or something similar, several members have ALREADY told you the 120 wont be enough for what you want, the model needs something like a 26 cc petrol engine at least or better, it should fly very well with the OS 120 on a good long down slope, but you are looking at a model that will end up around 14 lbs, including retracts, I have the same model, started off with a 26cc, it flew OK, but I now have a 35cc in it, now it goes like a fighter should.

it WILL FLY WELL WITH THE 30CC DLE ENGINE... it will probably fly with the 120. but it will go a LOT better with the DLE.

See thats my problem for every guy like you who tells me it won't be enough power... There are guys who tell me it will be more then enough power. So there's the issue, unfortunately there are too many conflicts of opinion. I think it's because the engine power may be marginal and that there are guys on both sides of the fence with this. But thanks for the info. your advice has been more helpful then most.

Thanks
Ed
Old 08-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Redback

I had a 120AX in an ESM FW190 which weighed just under 18lbs. Given the weight that it ended up I was quite concerned about how it would fly, and made a few fast runs down the strip to get a feel for how it would perform.

When I finally commited to take off it flew fine. Power was quite adequate, however I felt that a bit more would be nice to have, so when I assembled another one I put a MLD28 gasser in it.

IMO your 120AX will fly the Mustang OK, but don't expect a rocket!

Terry