Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Everything is going foam! So at events will they be allowed?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Everything is going foam! So at events will they be allowed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:35 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDM
just see 1/4 Sparky P40 Foam for proof of the drama on this great model but it's foam lol )
I love the way Sparks designed and built that plane...but surely you have noticed that it doesn't have the same presence in the air as a big heavy gassers. There is something to be said for loud and fast...just ask NASCAR!
Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

No not at all , they are designed by aircraft format type not construction,they make perfect sense to me .
Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Giant scale or park flyer , foam or wood , composite or scratch built , makes no matter too me . What concerns most pilots is that park flyer pilots and their foamies lack discipline at events where multiple planes are in the air at the same time. The giant scale guy with 3000.00 or more invested doesn't want to fly next to a pilot with a150.00 foamy that can't hold a flight pattern. I'm not saying it's right but it's what turns pilots away from events that have a mixed flight line of big and small. To hold an event that invites everyone regardless of plane size requires pre-arranging flight times in groups of similar size planes . Its a difficult juggle at best . And no things aren't just now going foam . Foam planes have been around a long time , Byron Originals , Lanier and several more used foam and it worked well until you spilled gas on it . Lol
Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
Giant scale or park flyer , foam or wood , composite or scratch built , makes no matter too me . What concerns most pilots is that park flyer pilots and their foamies lack discipline at events where multiple planes are in the air at the same time. The giant scale guy with 3000.00 or more invested doesn't want to fly next to a pilot with a150.00 foamy that can't hold a flight pattern. I'm not saying it's right but it's what turns pilots away from events that have a mixed flight line of big and small. To hold an event that invites everyone regardless of plane size requires pre-arranging flight times in groups of similar size planes . Its a difficult juggle at best . And no things aren't just now going foam . Foam planes have been around a long time , Byron Originals , Lanier and several more used foam and it worked well until you spilled gas on it . Lol
I lot of truth in that statement!
Old 02-14-2016, 03:13 PM
LDM

CKI you taking this to the extreme lol .
1) A giant scale park flyer ? A 79" P40 with $1000 invested is not a giant scale Parkflyer.
2) I take all type of birds to event, ESM , Pica Fw190 , and large scale Foam.
My point on allowing park flyers -true park flyers is to have an event and time for them so you get more participation including kids .
When I say true Parkflyers I mean 50" and under and even e-flight micro for a 30 min session or so or even at lunch or early evening.
This allows kids, seniors and the like to see and participate. It would be great to have a flight assisted Cub on hand for kids to try but again very controlled and only at a certain time of day.
The total assumptions on the term park flyers are simply humerous and based on construction vs content.
Also I amazed at the comments that anyone that flys a park flyer can't follow a pattern lol, again don't know where you fly or why your perception is so negative towards the segement but it's the next generation of RC flyers and there coming from the park.
When we read about AMA membership going down remember on how accepting we are in this hobby becasue what I am reading is nothing short of "personality profiling" you fly a park flyer your undisciplined , I mean really ?
On the comment about Sparkeys P40 and the wing loading, yes correct it does not handle like a 30lbs brick lol , it's light and flys light. To each is own but not all warbirds have to have heavy wing loading in fact moderate wing loading in my opinion is better then heavy wing loading. This way you get the authority needed in flight without the constant attention to sticks needed in a heavy plane.
I have seen guys add 4 to 6lbs to a plane of non-functional weight and to me that is just poor planning.
The ESM line is a great example so many of those kits need 4 to 6 lbs on the nose and the box stated weight is totally off .
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM
CK1

LDM , I think you have misinterpreted the meaning of my post . I have flown and fly all types and have been to many IMAA and AMA C restricted as well as open flyin's . My post is merely the Voice of the pilots over the years whenever clubs have tried to improve attendance at flyin's buy mixing groups. In almost every case the guys with the big planes would not return to the following years flyin because of the small planes . I have no problem with mixing it but the concensus will be that unless you have specified time for the big planes to fly separate from the little ones the big one's won't come back . If you are wanting the big planes to draw a bigger crowd you will need to have specific flight times and groupings. I personally have no slight for any group I fly what I have when I can . If the truth of experience stings so be it..
Old 02-14-2016, 04:03 PM
LDM

CK understood and thanks for the explanation. I can see you point and I know it's difficult to manage the planes and attendance.
I will only add that I wish there was a way to get more crowd participation with the goal of getting new pilots and new RC interest.
However I would never want to eliminate the main draw of the Giant Scale Warbirds guys at the expense of crowd participation or planes that may discourage those pilots from future entry.
As far as personal experience I have never had a bad one regardless of what I bring to the field.
In fact on late summer evenings after flying my fuel and Electric planes I break out the tiny eflight corsiar at my field. All I can say is I wish I made commission on all the one I have sold for Horison to rc clubs members that would not touch a piece of foam if a Juicy T Bone was on it !
Old 02-14-2016, 04:10 PM
CK1

Yup , sometimes after a long day of 3d and giant warbirds a flat foamy or foam T28 comes out for relaxation , sometimes even the old Lazy Bee .