Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Seagull Spitfire 26- 38 cc

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Seagull Spitfire 26- 38 cc

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:45 AM
dr.tom

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Tom ling (07-04-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Tom, what is the weight?
Old 07-04-2021, 02:00 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lovely videos mate. It seems to fly very nicely. I’m about to buy one and get building, but not sure on the engine choice. In the air at decent revs the four stroke sounds lovely, and seems a good match. What is the vertical power like? I’m not sure if I will go 40cc four stroke. Or a dle 35ra. The ra will give me more RPM and should give it quite a scale climb rate, plus a decent exhaust will keep the noise down.

what do you think?

Old 07-04-2021, 02:35 AM
Prekin

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Lovely videos mate. It seems to fly very nicely. I’m about to buy one and get building, but not sure on the engine choice. In the air at decent revs the four stroke sounds lovely, and seems a good match. What is the vertical power like? I’m not sure if I will go 40cc four stroke. Or a dle 35ra. The ra will give me more RPM and should give it quite a scale climb rate, plus a decent exhaust will keep the noise down.

what do you think?
I had DLE 30 in mine. No problem with power. Both of your options would be good.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Trommeldave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prekin
I had DLE 30 in mine. No problem with power. Both of your options would be good.
Which propeller (producer, material and size) do you use with the DLE30?
Old 07-04-2021, 06:33 AM
Prekin

Originally Posted by Trommeldave
Which propeller (producer, material and size) do you use with the DLE30?
Wood 18/10". Not sure about brand now, but probably Fiala.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Trommeldave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prekin
Wood 18/10". Not sure about brand now, but probably Fiala.
Ok thanks. And could you tell me your max rpm?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Prekin

Originally Posted by Trommeldave
Ok thanks. And could you tell me your max rpm?
Unfortunately I can't. I didn't measure them.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:38 PM
dr.tom

Old 03-13-2022, 02:22 PM
scottydsntknow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread and great read. Looking at Spits there is a LOT wrong with this one out of the box but nothing else really approaches it pricewise giant scale. For me its between this one and the smaller 20cc Phoenix one, not sure which one to go with. My LHS has this one, the Phoenix 20cc would be about the same price once shipping is involved due to my location but it does have the servoless retracts right out of the box. Really like what Prekin did modding on this thing, tho it looked GREAT when done.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:01 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Default Spit

I also have the Seagull Spit.
Replaced the servo-less retracts with E Flite electrics. A perfect match.

Make sure you tweak the flaps with elevators for a perfect landing.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:23 PM
scottydsntknow

Yeah at that point adding another $200-$300 and it's getting pricey. They are good tho. The HK retracts and struts are much much cheaper at least.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:29 PM
dr.tom

But it flies great, and up there all those small things are less important than when standing still on ground.

So if someone is after 2m warbird and wants to fly it, its nice one to have. Especially with 4 stroke engine for more realism

Not much flying videos here :/
Old 03-13-2022, 11:02 PM
scottydsntknow

Yeah that's a true story and the big ones fly better. If the big Phoenix one didn't have a box that was so massive I could get it shipped out here for the price on Tower which is probably the same price as the seagull one with the e-flight gear but that has the printed covering and reading some of the build threads there's gaps in the balsa and there's some rough spots under the covering and honestly it looks like it'd be a better candidate for a strip and recover or fiberglass than anything.

edit: So I picked up the Seagull today at lunch. LHS had one left, took it out of the box to inspect all the pieces, it all looked good. Will be doing some of the mods I've seen on here but nothing crazy. New pilot, the HK gear and the scale wheels. Have a few engines I'm going to test fit, I'd prefer to not cut the cowl if possible. If I can find a FA-200i and if Morris/CH can make a CDI conversion kit that'll probably be the route I go. Unless I can find a suitable gasser that'll fit without cutting the cowl. I bet a new Stinger 26cc with the low profile spark plug would be close but I have my doubts if it would fly the plane with enough authority.

Last edited by scottydsntknow; 03-14-2022 at 05:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dr.tom (03-14-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Prekin

Originally Posted by scottydsntknow
Yeah that's a true story and the big ones fly better. If the big Phoenix one didn't have a box that was so massive I could get it shipped out here for the price on Tower which is probably the same price as the seagull one with the e-flight gear but that has the printed covering and reading some of the build threads there's gaps in the balsa and there's some rough spots under the covering and honestly it looks like it'd be a better candidate for a strip and recover or fiberglass than anything.

edit: So I picked up the Seagull today at lunch. LHS had one left, took it out of the box to inspect all the pieces, it all looked good. Will be doing some of the mods I've seen on here but nothing crazy. New pilot, the HK gear and the scale wheels. Have a few engines I'm going to test fit, I'd prefer to not cut the cowl if possible. If I can find a FA-200i and if Morris/CH can make a CDI conversion kit that'll probably be the route I go. Unless I can find a suitable gasser that'll fit without cutting the cowl. I bet a new Stinger 26cc with the low profile spark plug would be close but I have my doubts if it would fly the plane with enough authority.
Scott, what wheels are you going to use? If I would do another project like this one I would take some wheels like Du-Bro and do some scale hubs.
If you would need some pilot, I found some STL files on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2271568  
Old 03-15-2022, 03:22 PM
scottydsntknow

I was gonna use the same ones from earlier in the thread if still available. Right now I'm waiting on just about everything since the damn truckers in Spain are all striking because of the gas prices. I don't know what Spain is supposed to do about a global price spike but they strike over literally anything here. Maybe a tax break on fuel will bring it down a bit but it won't be much. Ah well, it'll last a week or so before enough ppl get mad enough where something gets done on one side or the other.