Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire arf 95" phoenix assembly

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire arf 95" phoenix assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:18 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I find smaller scale pilots fit better in planes. The cockpits always seem a little too small (at least for Ziroli).
We have to also remember those WW II pilots were, mostly, on the short size (probably best for pulling G's).
I've seen pilot uniforms at Wright pat air force museum and they look like teenager sizes (of course, a lot of them were!).
A lot of them only weighed 120-150 pounds.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:42 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered mine yesterday....seems like everybody has one or one on order so why not jump in as well?

Going with a DLE-61 and true turn is right up the road from me, so maybe I can get a good deal on a spinner (hopefully not $250!)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Lerch32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see that the slim jtec works with the 61, and the large would need the cowl cut. Does anyone know if the regular will fit under the cowl?
Old 01-01-2018, 06:27 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by Lerch32
I see that the slim jtec works with the 61, and the large would need the cowl cut. Does anyone know if the regular will fit under the cowl?
good question ....Tower has a jtech listed as a DLE-61 TF P-40 muffler ........its the $150 one, wonder if that would work perfect?
Old 01-02-2018, 03:48 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you need dimensions or other support from Jtec, they are great to work with.
Call (704) 799-1658, ask for Kevin, super helpful fella.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:23 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by OldScaleGuy
If you need dimensions or other support from Jtec, they are great to work with.
Call (704) 799-1658, ask for Kevin, super helpful fella.
Awesome thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are three sizes from Jtek for the DLE-61. The compact, the Top Flite, and the P-40. The standard compact is the largest of the three, and the cheapest. I put the Top Flite version on mine and had plenty of clearance. In hind site I should have used the Compact. I would guess it would provide a bit more power than the Top Flite or the P-40 that is even smaller.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Lerch32

Thanks for the followup! Mine will be delivered tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Lerch32

I hope the compact fits, that's what I'll be purchasing eventually.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Lerch32

Sold out, glad I ordered one.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Lerch32

Talked to jtec today, and they recommend the topflite version and could not confirm that the compact would fit. He also said the performance difference between the two is minimal.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Good to hear that the power difference is minimal. I can confirm the Topflite version fits with plenty of clearance. I've never had the compact version in my hand to test it, but based on the amount of room I had I thought it would fit.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
fasteray

Default Phoenix Spitfire

I am just finishing my Spit. Some advise I learned, install all the pushrod clevises you can before epoxying the hinges. Especially the split flaps it will save a lot of time in the end. I also had my retracts refitted with Down and Locked electric. the cylinders for air are small and D and L did a great job. Albeit a little pricey. This will be my first 1/4 scale plane and I wanted nothing but the best for it. I also purchased a Dave Brown spinner as in the Tower Hobbies comments someone posted that the plastic is or was way out of balance. I also used the Futaba S-bus system as it eliminated a lot of extra wires and I don't have to worry about where they get plugged in. I am now into the scale details now so I made the cannons fire with strobes in three round bursts. Next will be a trip to Firestone for wheel alignment. ( joking). I also need to find out where any nav lights are to be located. Any help on that one and landing lights? My friend Dino Digiorgio will take it up for its maiden flight as I don't trust myself. Per his advise I am also going with a gyro. All in all I would say it's a good quality build and weathering it and adding a few scale details will make it a little different than any other ARFs. post me any questions and I will do my best to answer. Happy new year. Ray
Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
CaptRKO

Mine arrived today unharmed, very well packaged took about an hour to unpack and unbox the airframe! Like a kid at Christmas!

Ordered a brand new DLE-61 and a J-TEch "top flight" version Pitts muffler (its on backorder)

We currently have 5 under construction here in the Houston area.....I think we will have a total of 10 flying for 2018.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, Ray!

You'll love the plane. That's great you got Dino to maiden it, though I think if you can fly and land a 40-sized Super Cub, you'd do fine. This bird has ZERO need for a gyro, though. Get video!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM
fasteray

Default Spitfire

Hello Shaun, Dino advised me about the gyro. He belongs to our club along with a host of excellent fliers. I am lucky enough to live about ten minutes from him. So I trust his judgement on the gyro etc. From reading the other posts I think I'll ad an engine temp sensor to it also. We are in Florida so it looks like keeping the sun off it is going to be problematic. So it will have to be shaded when not flying. Time will tell. Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by fasteray
Hello Shaun, Dino advised me about the gyro. He belongs to our club along with a host of excellent fliers. I am lucky enough to live about ten minutes from him. So I trust his judgement on the gyro etc. From reading the other posts I think I'll ad an engine temp sensor to it also. We are in Florida so it looks like keeping the sun off it is going to be problematic. So it will have to be shaded when not flying. Time will tell. Thanks for your comments.

HI

Yes, of course. We should all be so lucky as to have that caliber of help available to us. Gyro away! I just meant that after having flown the plane, you'd be relieved to know it flies such that a gyro isn't needed. That's not to say it won't make it easier yet.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 AM
fasteray

Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 AM
fasteray

Hello again Shaun, about the gyro and theory, we fly off a large grass field and it is not fenced in out in the boonies. Many a time Deer, wild boars create many divets on the field. If you catch one and the plane turns on one we tend to wind up in the flying line fence. I have damaged a few planes in that manner as if flying a sixty size plane you really can't react quick enough to prevent collision. At least I can't at times. I have to think about which way to rudder it and by that time your allready in the fence. Not as quick as I used to be. So a gyro will definatly help correct a possible plane / fence meeting. I have been reading all I can and still am not positive on what Mark# the Pheonix is. Any thoughts from anyone? I am using a DLE 61, Dave brown spinner, had the retracts converted to electric. Just about ready now to turn it over and install the tail wheel and rudder push pull. Then out side for break in useing a Zoar 22X10. Also addressing some other peoples concerns about spars, I ran an inspection cmamera up the wing and viewed all I could and I believe the strength of thee wing is quite sufficient to take a bad landing. Like others of course it depends on how bad. Have a good day all.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by fasteray
Hello again Shaun, about the gyro and theory, we fly off a large grass field and it is not fenced in out in the boonies. Many a time Deer, wild boars create many divets on the field. If you catch one and the plane turns on one we tend to wind up in the flying line fence. I have damaged a few planes in that manner as if flying a sixty size plane you really can't react quick enough to prevent collision. At least I can't at times. I have to think about which way to rudder it and by that time your allready in the fence. Not as quick as I used to be. So a gyro will definatly help correct a possible plane / fence meeting. I have been reading all I can and still am not positive on what Mark# the Pheonix is. Any thoughts from anyone? I am using a DLE 61, Dave brown spinner, had the retracts converted to electric. Just about ready now to turn it over and install the tail wheel and rudder push pull. Then out side for break in useing a Zoar 22X10. Also addressing some other peoples concerns about spars, I ran an inspection cmamera up the wing and viewed all I could and I believe the strength of thee wing is quite sufficient to take a bad landing. Like others of course it depends on how bad. Have a good day all.

Geez,

You fly off a grass field, out in the boonies, not fenced in and frequented by deer and wild pigs? I suppose SOMEBODY has to do it!!

I fly off a hard by bumpy and goat's-head laden field surrounded by raw sewage from the Tijuana estuary, patrolled by turkey-vultures and hawks looking to mid-air with our planes and overshadowed by plane-eating power-lines. Not to mention the CBP agents riding through on their quads kicking up dust and the DHS choppers flying past way too low.

But alas, we all count our blessings, right?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM
lcacing
My Feedback: (21)

I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced spinner for this model, and since the exact model
of spitfire is not defined I found this 6” carbon spinner, for $60 shipped could not pass it up,
I’m just waiting for a bolt that should be here Thursday to install it. I think if it was little shorter
would look better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FA8F7959-17AD-41A7-9984-BF90D7BC9DFD.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2250625   Click image for larger version

Name:	6431BBAC-CB5B-4640-8C06-F8E17F1DA52B.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2250626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC30454-59A5-4775-926F-ACC4B82CC525.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2250627  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Flyfast1

Originally Posted by lcacing
I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced spinner for this model, and since the exact model
of spitfire is not defined I found this 6” carbon spinner, for $60 shipped could not pass it up,
I’m just waiting for a bolt that should be here Thursday to install it. I think if it was little shorter
would look better.
Where did you purchase the spinner and bolt?

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:36 AM
Hot Rod Todd

The exact Model may not have been defined by Phoenix, but there is no doubt that it looks like a Mk.14. I don't think it matches any other spitfire variant.
You can make it a c or an e wing based on where you put the cannon. Mk14 e. had the cannon on the outside (other differences, but that's the most obvious).

No really relevant to the spinner anyway, I believe all Griffon powered Spitfires had the same spinner, and there is no doubt that this is a Griffon Spitfire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756b.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2250671  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:52 AM
lcacing
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
Where did you purchase the spinner and bolt?

Thanks,

-Ed B.

Amazon has m5 x.8 160mm bolts pack of 4, it’s an add on item so you have to buy at least $25, Easy to do needed me water filters for fridge. The spinner is a china special, from eBay, I had a 4” spinner that worked great until a smashed the plane.
the spinner is only a good deal if spins true.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Lerch32

Did some research on the Hanger9 Spit, and they come with 4.5 wheels. Question is does anyone know the axle diameter? I know they are still small, but look much better then the stock 4.5's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.