Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Favorite Spitfire?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Favorite Spitfire?

Old 12-27-2019, 02:57 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Favorite Spitfire?

I have been flying warbirds for many years now, and have lately been thinking about getting a large Spitfire. Many years ago I flew a Pica Spitfire and it was a wonderfully flying plane (the 65" version). So I'm looking at the various ARFs and kits available now and would like something at least 70" wingspan. I like the TopRC Spit a lot, but it's pretty expensive. The Phoenix ARF is pretty cool. And I've looked at the Seagull ARF, but I'm not sure how 'scale' it is. I don't think you can get the Yellow kit any more, can you?

So let's hear some suggestions. Which is your favorite Spitfire? Rate them on cost, fly-ability, scale looks, or whatever!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:13 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

IMHO, if you want a larger Spitfire I would recommend the Brian Taylor Spitfire Mk IX. It spans 83". Though it is not an ARF, it is the most accurate scale kit in the hobby. Taylor's designs are fairly easy to build for the experienced modeler and you end up with a beautiful model. Vicrc.com has a fiberglass fuse and accessories for the kit as well as Bob Holman, who also has the plans as well. And, if you send a pdf copy of your wing plan to Eureka Aircraft, they can cut you an accurate foam wing core as well. Here some pictures:

This is a pic of the finished model, not mine.

Mine, work in progress.

Assembled
H

ere are some pictures of mine which I am currently scratch building.

Last edited by mark IX; 12-28-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: editing pics
Old 12-28-2019, 03:30 PM
mark IX

But............... if you want an ARF, the Hangar 9 Spitfire Mk IXc 30cc kit is quite good also. Slightly smaller at 81" wing span, I have friends who have these and love the way it flies. Unfortunately its discontinued from Horizon Hobby, but I'm sure you can find one for sale on these forums.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:24 AM
ho2zoo

Wow, that Brian Taylor Spit is nice! Any word on how it flies? But it take me a year or more just to put together an ARF, I don't know about building from plans!

Yeah I like the Hanger 9, but I haven't seen one available for quite a while. There's also one from Black Horse, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top RC has one that is composite that's really nice.
https://www.toprcmodel-usa.com/spitfire.html
I love my H-9 but hard to find
Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 PM
mark IX

From everything I've read about the BT Spitfire, it flies very nice. Never seen one fly myself, but I have not heard any complaints.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

From my experience with two Spits the plane flies well. The design of the wing etc has a lot to do with how well it flies
Old 01-08-2020, 03:29 PM
flyingpiggy

Try Mick Reeves Models in the UK for either a 1/6th or a 1/4 Spit mk ix {6' or 9' span}.
For something a little different from the commonly modeled mk v or mk ix, consider a 1/5th scale spit mk xiv {RR Griffon engine} either high back or bubble canopy from Fokkerc.com. I have one of these kits and will get around to starting it sometime this year.
I think 1\5th scale {88" span} is a good compromise between size, cost, transport issues etc. An added advantage is that you can purchase scale cockpit detail parts here on RCU

Originally Posted by ho2zoo View Post
I have been flying warbirds for many years now, and have lately been thinking about getting a large Spitfire. Many years ago I flew a Pica Spitfire and it was a wonderfully flying plane (the 65" version). So I'm looking at the various ARFs and kits available now and would like something at least 70" wingspan. I like the TopRC Spit a lot, but it's pretty expensive. The Phoenix ARF is pretty cool. And I've looked at the Seagull ARF, but I'm not sure how 'scale' it is. I don't think you can get the Yellow kit any more, can you?

So let's hear some suggestions. Which is your favorite Spitfire? Rate them on cost, fly-ability, scale looks, or whatever!

Last edited by flyingpiggy; 01-08-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 AM
ho2zoo

Another nice kit! And I do like the Mk XIV version. Just not crazy about the clipped wing.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:35 PM
flyingpiggy

Mk 14s and mk 18s for that matter can be found with "proper" full span wings