Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Instrument Panels and the new ways

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Instrument Panels and the new ways

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 04:38 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Corsair Instrument Panels and the new 3D ways

Hello,
I made this video for a club thing but I think they are not meeting any more so I figure it might help people here.

I made this as I keep hearing that if you 3D print stuff it is just "clicking a button" or some other ignorant comment. These modern CAD/CAM tools are great and I find they really help give you more options. I tried posting to facebook but frankly I am not sure who sees what I post there or if anyone even cares, so much of the stuff I get on facebook is trash its hard to imagine anyone takes anything seriously there.

Also, the 3d printer I started with is now US$99. It would make the parts in this video.

Last edited by mr_matt; 12-20-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: title
The following 2 users liked this post by mr_matt:
apereira (12-26-2022), Henpecked (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:33 AM
stukno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that I will ever have your CAD skills but a lovely result and novel and new way to build instrument panels. Great work! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-29-2022, 01:05 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by stukno
I'm not sure that I will ever have your CAD skills but a lovely result and novel and new way to build instrument panels. Great work! Thanks for sharing
Re: CAD use, Oh I understand that sentiment, like any other modeling skill, there is a learning curve. If I am honest, half of my motivation to post this was to show people that "3D printing" and CAD was still modeling, just with modern tools. So many people are ignorant and just dismiss all 3D CAD/CAM is somehow "cheating" or is just pushing a button......that attitude is coming from complete ignorance. It is still modeling, just with newer tools.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:22 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got in to 3d printing to make parts for my models. I have printed pilots, gunsights guns ect. Stuff I used to spend a week carving from balsa I can print and paint in a day.
Old 01-01-2023, 01:04 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by c550
I got in to 3d printing to make parts for my models. I have printed pilots, gunsights guns ect. Stuff I used to spend a week carving from balsa I can print and paint in a day.
Yes I also like the fact you can make quick iterations. It takes 1/2 dozen iterations for me on average. And of course you can make as many as you need. If you have not tried them, the little CNC desktop routers are nice. And the little vacu-former is nice too, less than US$150