Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Heavy AT-6: Will it Fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Heavy AT-6: Will it Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy AT-6: Will it Fly?

Hello All,

I've just finished building a Midwest AT-6 ( 83" WS) that I've built around a RCS 140 (22 CC) gas
engine. I built this plane with split flaps and thought that I could finish it up at 15 lb. However,
after balancing the plane it weighed 17 lb. 9 oz. This plane has 1000 sq.in. of wing area and this
gives a wing loading of 40.5 oz./sq.ft. Will this plane fly well enough or should I try to install a
larger engine?
Old 11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
warbirdz1

Default RE: Heavy AT-6: Will it Fly?

Fly-it!!!!...Had the same T-6 with a G-38 in it and weighed just under 18 lbs and it flew wonderfully.....make sure you fly it all the way down to the runway when landing,using power....if the throttle is retarded too early...results will not be what you want......flaps mandatory for landings or its hot and will hop down the runway til it stops........good Luck....Bill.....
Old 11-04-2003, 02:39 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Bill said...fly it. Mine weighed 21 pounds with a Quadra 42. Flew fine.......like Bill says...they love to bounce. I think the 15 pound advertised weight takes monokote and a 4 stroke engine in mind.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:35 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make a heavy plane fly better, you DON'T add a bigger engine. You make the plane lighter.

But, your AT-6 will do just fine as it is. Just take it easy on take-off and don't yank it into the air. Landings will need to be a little faster than you may be used to.

A funny story: our local hobby dealer told us that a local modeler came in to the shop complaining that his new plane didn't fly well at all because it was "...too heavy...".

So he cut 6" off each wing panel to make it lighter!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Taildrager-RCA

It will fly, but I think you will be disapointed in the performance, as most builders of that kit install a G38 or larger gas engine. I have a RCS 140 in a 4*120 weighing 12 pounds, and the engine does a good job for a Sunday flyer, but much more she isn't
Old 11-06-2003, 01:07 AM
rc4j
My Feedback: (103)

I have had this kit for some time now, and have also considered the rcs 1.40 as a powerplant. I assume you had to add nose weight for balance. If so, how much did it take? Also, how hard/easy was it to add the split flaps? Any suggestions on the flaps? .....thanks, Jai
Old 11-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the input, guys.

After careful consideration, I've ordered a Brison 2.4 (39 cc) to replace the RCS 140. I think the
RCS 140 would provide marginal power and the Brison doesn't weigh much more and I can trade
power for lead. I almost used a Brison 2.4 from the start but figured the RCS 140 would fit into
the cowl better - and this it did.

Jai, I had to add 1.65 lbs of lead to the nose for balance. The split flaps turned out well but they
were a lot of work. I actually made new ribs for the sections containing the flaps. If I had it to
do over again, I think I would have made simple flaps that you would find on a P-51 or P-47.
These would be easier to construct. I used 1 servo on each flap and made the flaps from
1/16 ply with a hard balsa leading edge structure to hold the hinge points