Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Battle of the retracts: Century Jet vs. Robart...Need some advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Battle of the retracts: Century Jet vs. Robart...Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle of the retracts: Century Jet vs. Robart...Need some advice

I am looking at retracts for my 1/7 scale TF Mustang, and I'm leaning toward the Century Jet retracts, mainly because they appear to be very solidly made. I have read stuff on the internet though, where someone was really badmouthing Century Jet retracts. What is your opinion between Century Jet retracts and Robart Robostrut retracts? Enquiring minds want to know!!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battle of the retracts: Century Jet vs. Robart...Need some advice

For this model they are both pretty good. I have had good experiences with both. The CJ system is complete when you buy them. And you don't have to add on scale struts later. But the fit in the wing is a bit more difficult for some. Or rather they don't fit the way some want them to. But you may want to look at spring airs as well. Most flyers that have used them really like them.
www.retract.com
[&:]
Old 02-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Richard L.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The correct link to Spring Air retracts is [link]http://www.retracts.com/[/link]

Spring Air oleo struts look pretty nice. However, I got word from Spring Air today that their 3/8" offset oleo struts only accept wheels up to 2-3/4" in diameter and their 1/2" oleo struts are not yet available. Bummer.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the recomended CJ retracts for my T.F. GE P-51 and they didn't last very long. They got real sloppy real fast due to the weak flanges and the fact the sissors are pop-riveted together and then pop-riveted to the struts. Their better gear uses steel pins and "C" clips for the sissors.
SpringAir gear is simple and fool-proof and comes down automatically if the system should loose pressure in flite.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 AM
allanart

Spring Air (www.retracts.com) or Unitracts (www.unitracts.com) - hand made in UK..

Regards
Allan
Old 02-05-2004, 05:51 AM
psk560
My Feedback: (12)

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE RETRACTS FOR THIS PLANE! The wheels CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL rotate when you land on them. The scissors hold the wheel straight and the scissors are held by this press fit and loctite-type material. I'd recommend some spring air if I had it to do all over again with non cjm struts. CJM did nothing to help me with my retracts and they busted my wing to pieces when the wheels started going round and round on the FIRST LANDING! I wrote CJM retracts a letter explaining my concerns with thier product but they NEVER responded. (VERY SAD!)

Craig

www.rcsites.net/psk560
Old 02-05-2004, 06:37 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recommend spring air 700 series retracts, with oleos either from robart or spring air. robart has the offset oleos like the full scale, not sure if spring air has the offset type. be sure to get oleos for the wheel size you intend to use.

ed
Old 02-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Richard L.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc34074

not sure if spring air has the offset type. be sure to get oleos for the wheel size you intend to use.
Go back and read my Post #3 above.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:14 AM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Go with the Spring Air gear on a plane this size. If you have to have scale struts you can always add in the robart struts later. In the end spring air will be cheaper when you add al the accessories including the oleo struts that you can source from robart.

Chris
Old 02-07-2004, 02:59 PM
milkman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I just mail ordered a set of Spring Air from Sheldon's Hobbies in CA. They have a lot of bad press about customer service, but I took a shot at it since the 103HD retract were 89.96 + 5.00 shipping.........no problems other than they were back ordered for a week or so. Everywhere else I found them they were $140.00. Comes complete with tank, switch, 3/16 wire gear that you can replace later with oleos. Pretty good deal for $95 delivered as far as retracts go. I am putting the 103HD in the 1/7 TF P-47.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Woody,
Spring AIrs with Robart struts is probably the best combo. Spring air will always come down, to regulate the speed I use a 1/8 collar on the line.
JG
Old 02-08-2004, 06:28 AM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Woody,

I have had the misfortune of buying two sets of CJM retracts and was more than disappointed with them both. They are heavy, sloppy, cheaply made and the company's customer support is just this side of non-existent. As a machinist, I can tell you that their workmanship ressembles a product made from a hammer and a chisel.

I should add that I am a slow learner. Even after the shafting I got from the retracts I still laid out big bucks for a CJM 1/5th scale Spitfire Deluxe kit. That, too, was a piece of *!#&. The fiberglass fuselage was good...........very good. The rest was pure garbage! Never have I seen laser cut parts that looked like they were cut freehand with a blow torch! Instructions that were next to useless and parts that simply did not fit. Oh, and they included the retracts, too, with that kit. More garbage. I unloaded the kit for a fraction of what I paid for it after four months of frustration.

Never again will I spend a dime on CJM products and I wll continue to write warnings like this one at every opportunity. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43708.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	98589