Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
oifvet23
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am not worthy! OH BUT I AM...Kind of..

hey warbirdnutty,
i talked to the guy on the phone and he said it only added around 12oz to the plane.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I am not worthy!

mbuck515 - The P-38 would be in better hands if you flew it instead of me unfortunatly I have little experience flying twins so I will have to settle for just some stick time in the air and let someone elts do the honers of takeoffs and landings.

I have noticed that there seems to be some concern of our product making the model industry "Out of reach"
To me this is just progress and like most new methods and products many see them as evil doings and fear what they dont understand or just dont want to change. But if you look hard you can see that the hobby has already taken giant steps, how many of us use CA glues instead of white glue? how about mono coat? of digital servos and radio equipment? all I can say is right now it may seem out of reach for many but we are working on making this a process that some day maybe you'll be able to order as an option from the manufacture of you kit of ARF. But for now all I want to do is open some more doors in this and other hobbies. Also I just want to mention that we did not plate the 38 for competition reasons and will not enter it any thing like that but hopefuly you might see it on display at the larger hobby shows. As long as I'm not offending anyone I would like to keep posting pictures of the 38 untill it is completed, we have worked very very hard on this and would still like to share it will people that appreciate war bird replication.

Ron
Old 08-21-2004, 03:02 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post away.
The finish can only be as nice as what's under it. I you take a non-detailed fiberglass fuse and plate it, it will not be nearly as spectacular as you may thing. The key is the detail prior to the plating process. And that is already out of reach of many (other than by purchasing existing composite kits). It's not the process...it's what you do with it before and after the process. In other words, the guy who considers a good looking model as having panel lines drawn with a black fine point Sharpie® is probably not a candidate. Terry Nitsch is a candidate...but I bet the plating process would only be the very beginning of his scale skin work.
He would still mask each and every panel and steel wool directional strokes, etc.

Please post all the pics you can. It is beautiful stuff and helps us to visualize the technique on different airframes as well.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 08-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure we are all sitting here eagerly waiting for the next set of pictures.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Metalmorphous

Here are the up to date pictures, panel lines, rivets and fasteners are finished on the wings so it was on to more masking and painting. The stripes on the wings are finished but still have a long way to go on the fuselage, I'll post some pictures of that when its time.

Enjoy
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14134.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	169359  
Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Metalmorphous

I gotta tell ya that I'm not looking forward to doing the rivet details to the fuselage but I know in the long run it will be worth it.

Name:	Xv64596.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	169360  
Old 09-01-2004, 08:11 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metalmorphous, this is the most beautiful P-38 model I've ever seen so please don't be put off by my doubts about how this process (or something more extreme) might change the hobby. Change is good. Good custom work is always welcome and any step forward in manufacturing is only to be commended! Having this sort of work "commissioned out" is certainly no different in my mind from buying a glass fuse with all the details already molded in. And not really any different than buying $300 scale retracts.

Your description of the process just got me thinking about how very complex top competetive models have become. But I suppose as long as there's always something like Top Gun's "Builder of the Model Rule" that stipulates that a model is essentially the craftsmanship of one single individual, the hobby is "safe."
Old 09-02-2004, 02:33 PM
grumpE

HOLY COW!

It will be fun reading about this bird later in all the mags etc after it cleans up in the competitions. Absolutely freaking amazing!!

Eric
Old 09-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Metalmorphous

Here is an update on our 38, I spent most of the day fabricating the exhaust. I wanted the smallest single hole allowable for this. I talked with a fellow modeler named Evan from Texas and he has already installed the ZDZ 40s in his Yellow P-38 and he did a great job of fabricating his exhaust, I just did some small modifications to his design, I added 2 small baffels to bring down the sound level a bit and instead of brazing I mig welded our units. If you look at the last picture you can just make out the out let, its 3/4 in pipe and only sticks out 3/16 in. just what I wanted. Thanks Evan...

Here are some pictures of the fit and finish.

Ron

[img]local://upfiles/102212/Ay74979.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/102212/Xs58066.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/102212/Yd82471.jpg[/img]

[img]local://upfiles/102212/Le93498.jpg[/img]

Name:	Ay74979.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	171402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58066.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	171403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82471.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	171404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93498.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	171405  
Old 09-08-2004, 06:08 PM
SDCrashmaster

I must say...that muffler is a real piece of work. Very nice. Looks like the awesome metal freak show won't be compromised by any unsightly appendages.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Metalmorphous

SDC-- Thanks, I'm trying to keep the outer skins as clean as possible but ran into a small snag, the spark plug and wire extend about 1/4" or so out of the cowl, so now I have to cut, re-glass and repair the plating on the cowl so that everything is covered. Boy its the small things that seem to take the longest to get finished. I'll gets some pictures up soon.

Ron
Old 09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
gbrad64

i know this is off topic...but i got to know..
those are Shelby Cobras in the background of some of the pictures?
thank you
greg
P.S. that is a real work of art on that p-38...WOW!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally, Awesome..am looking forward to your following posts in eager expectations !

Even though this process maynot be feasible for almost all here, I must say that you have raised the bar for most of us to continue with our own experments into the fantastic world of scale endevor. I shall follow this thread to its completion with great interest.

" Aluminum is the Only Metal that Looks Like Aluminum ! "

Keep up the Good Work !
Old 09-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Metalmorphous

gbrad- Yep, we always have aleast 2 cobra replicas in our shop. We do our plating process on alot of classic autos and the cobra is one of our favorite. The cobras in the pictures are having the underside of there hoods, trucks and doors plated with aluminum, once thats done it is very hard to tell them from the originals.
[img][/img]

GSnut- Thank you for your good words and I'm very glad that I can contribute in replicating what the full scale P-38 looked like, many that have been to the shop to see the plane dont even know what a lightning was but after see ours being worked on most leave with a new interest in the warbirds of yester-year. We had to put the 38 on the sideline for now, another project has to be complete, but will post as soon as we are back on it.
Ron
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Metalmorphous

Gbrad here is some of our work we did this week. Doors are to a cobra coupe, hood is to a cobra roadster and the copper sheet on the floor is a sheet of formica for a builder that does some great custom work.

Name:	Tq48786.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	173456  
Old 09-15-2004, 06:20 PM
MSabol

You know...if the table and shop surroundings were edited out of the photos, and a real background substituted, I bet you couldn't distinguish this plane from a real one, coming right off the assembly line (although in black and white, of course).

Truly fantastic job...I am incredibly jealous!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Metalmorphous

MSABOL- Thank you for the complement. We will have a photographer take much better pictures once we get it finished.

I had to cut a hole for the spark plug cap, only the tip of the cap sticks out but I still dont like it so I have started the glass repair last week, I will post some pictures soon.

Ron
Old 09-27-2004, 01:07 PM
airmcn_3
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Just spoke to Ron Randal at metalmorphsis GREAT GUY! I will be sending by 100" P38 next month! price is really not bad when you are talking about having a true alunimum covering! Great Product cant wait to see in person! Thanks Chris Mc Nair
Old 10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Metalmorphous

I had a great conversation with Chris last week, he too has a P-38 and it looks as if its going in the unpainted aluminum version like the one we are working on.
Chris when your almost finished with you 38 give me a call and I will send you a sample on a PVC pipe so you can see it first hand.

Well I got a chance to get the cowls fiberglassed and repaired after I found that the spark plug cap protruded out of the cowl. I did't want anything hanging out so I did what I thought Lockheed would of done, just gave it a cover like the nose gear. After the plating was repaired it wasn't that noticeable. What do you think?

Ron

Name:	Zx69982.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	179523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85389.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	179524  
Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 PM
grumpE

That finish is a masterpiece.

Simply a masterpiece.

Now you need a 100" plus Mustang, and a P-47 and a.................................................

Eric
Old 10-05-2004, 05:17 AM
Me-109K4
My Feedback: (1)

This is indeed the most realistic model airplane I've ever seen. Just beautiful. I couldn't help noticing one thing though, shouldn't the insides of the wheel wells and gear doors be painted chromate green?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Metalmorphous

Thanks again for the good words on work in progress.

ME-1094-- Not all the P-38s had there gear doors primed with zinc chromate, as I understand it had something to do with weight and location of where the plane was to be based. One other thing is we know how difficult it is to get an aluminum finish in a compound curved area so we thought that this would be a great way to show the versatility of our product.

Ron
Old 10-05-2004, 10:58 AM
SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: Metalmorphous

we know how difficult it is to get an aluminum finish in a compound curved area so we thought that this would be a great way to show the versatility of our product.
And that it does my friend...that it does.

Gorgeous!

I'm Paul Reese and I approve this message.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CAN'T BREATH!...[&:]...This P38 is absolutely breath taking!

I don't know what else to say that has not already been said.

My wife is lucky I don't have any money...there would be a nice P38 hanging over our bed!

Keep up the great posts!

Todd Coleman
Old 10-05-2004, 03:07 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

WE NEED MORE PICTURES
I love pictures...[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.