Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:41 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am not worthy!

WOW! Please more pictures. What can one say other than Great Work! This is a process that will surely be in demand by serious and some not so serious modelers, in the not to distant future, once the word gets out.

Absolutely Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Metalmorphous
My Feedback: (2)

I just open a package that was delivered that contains the graphics for our lightning, so now I have to get the rivets detail finished so I can apply them. Pictures will follow soon

Ron
Old 10-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Metalmorphous

Msabol- the guys here thought that these pictures of our 38 are what you were looking for
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56631.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	184719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61838.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	184720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87562.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	184721  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
cap10fan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INCREDIBLE!... Keep the pics coming!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Ron
I just read your thread from beginning to end !QUOT!hopefully not the end!QUOT! I applaud your dedication to this project and your building skills. The P-38 has always been one of my favorite war birds. I just made a transition to scale war birds and my first bird well be a P-47 Thunderbolt. I bet you thought I was going to say P-38 lightning did you. I'm not that eager I want to get experience with war birds first maybe my third attempt. I well definitely follow this thread to the finish keep up the great work.
Doug
Old 10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
SBR_RV

nice work!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:52 PM
stumax

So that's how you did it! You had yourself shrunk down to miniature size and made it as if it was a real one! I wonder what the scale judges would say about the difficulty in doing that?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Louie M

What can I say...that plane is BEAUTIFUL, congratulations on an effort very well done.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Metalmorphous

So Stu, how did you figure it out, I thought I didn't leave any evidence
Old 10-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Shihtzutan

Default RE: Metal-Morphing a Yellow P-38

Damn impressive! Love to see a Mustang in aluminum. Wondering how a repair will be though.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Metalmorphous

Shihtzutan, We are currently working with 2 customers that want there P-51s plated. We have to work out the details of there project and work in our plating process with there building sequence. The first one is scheduled for December, as things get rapped up I'm sure the owner will be posting pictures. As for a repair of our plating, go back and read the section were I repaired the cowl after finding out the spark plug cap protruded out of the cowl. The repair is undetectable

Ron
Old 10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
kram-RCU

When will she fly?

mt
Old 10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
photoniq

Hmm you guys think he will fly her? He must have had his nerves metal morphed too.. they must be made of STEEL!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:58 AM
stumax

ORIGINAL: Metalmorphous

So Stu, how did you figure it out, I thought I didn't leave any evidence
Or perhaps you made your own "mini me"?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Metalmorphous

Doug, We are plating a Yellow Aircraft P-47 engine cowl for a new customer, this cowl has some very nice panel lines and detail. I will post a picture of it when finished. I'll have to have a talk with management and see if its in our budget to get some more plane in here for display reasons only Like the P-47and the P-51, I can always tell them that our 38 needs the company
Old 10-30-2004, 11:00 PM
PILOT RD
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Ron!!! Simply Freakin Amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I have 3 or 4 planes in the works(tryin to do a p-47 razor back- yellow aircraft) with lithoplate and that aluminum tape. it looks pretty good , but i'm a body man and paint and finish drives me wild. I am never satisfied. let me in on your secrets- no matter what it may cost me. Well almost! I'm doin a sport scale 38 100" right now, I wont get too carried away with it . I have been within an inch of ordering a yellow 38 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years, CharlesTse just turnsme off. I guess I'll bite the bullet before long and get one. Keep up the good work. From the pics your process looks better than any I have EVER SEEN. Roger Davis -Full scale Decathalon, RC-me109 fw190 pitts yellow at-6 yellow p47 j-3 cub
Old 11-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Metalmorphous

Well after about 25 hour of appling rivets I'm in the home stretch. Its taken me longer than I expected but remember the 38 has 2 booms and rudders[] I still have to finish up alot of small thing but I can see daylight
Here are some up to date pictures, I plan on getting it back in the paint shop this week and will post those pictures.

I know this project is getting old to some but please, hang in there with me, its almost done
Thanks
Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99005.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	194767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31087.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	194768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55492.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	194769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58644.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	194770  
Old 11-20-2004, 05:32 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Use a body double for flying and keep this one on the ground!
Old 11-21-2004, 04:20 AM
MSabol

Egads, I am just speechless!

If you were to climb into that thing and fly away, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:51 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Ron:
I was wondering what it would cost to have my gear coated. I have a set of Robart gear for my 3W Tgercat I need to have coated.

Thanks,,, Dave R
Old 11-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Metalmorphous

Manfred, as we get closer to finishing the 38 I'm starting to think that, that might no be a bad idea, but I really think to make this job complete its has to fly, but I'm going to have the best of the best twin pilots with me just in case

Dave best to give me a call at the shop, # 203 294-1314 I need some info on the gear

MSabol I hope you get a chance to see this thing in person, if you like it in the pictures your going love it up close[8D]
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
kram-RCU

Metal:

Couldn't agree with you more!

First rule of the Brotherhood of the P-38: If it doesn't fly, it's not a plane!

Just promise me you'll make sure this beauty's engines are perfectly reliable in every way. Once you're sure about that, you've taken care of 90% of the reasons for losing a Lightning.

Also, I agree that having a twin expert there is a good idea, but having a P-38 expert there would be better, since the two groups are not necessarily inclusive.

Good Luck!

mt
Old 11-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Metalmorphous

More good advice, now where do suppose I can find the best of the best P-38 pilots?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old 11-26-2004, 12:39 AM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get your point! P-38's are relatively rare and unfortunately also relatively short-lived. RV Man and I took three P-38's to the Multi-Engine meet in Omaha last summer expecting to mingle with a lot of P-38 guys, and as it turned out we had 75% of the flyable Lightnings there. (there was one other)

Dennis Crooks and Frank Tiano fly or have flown them, and they're "contest grade" professionals. I think they both live in Florida.

TwinMan on RCU has a lot of experience. He lives around Houston.

At Bomber Field (TX) this summer, there was a pro-looking pilot flying a demo P-38 for Robart. Don't know his name, but I'm sure the guys at Robart could put you in touch with him. He DID crash on his second takeoff, but it may not have been his fault.

I have three years experience and have flown 5 Lightnings, including the Yellow, but I'm strickly an amateur RC pilot with a pretty intense full-time job that limits my stick time. I also destroyed one of the two engine-out P-38's (the VQ) I've had in three years, so I consider myself much more an expert at keeping both engines running than at flying engine-out.

Given the novelty and the beauty of your plane, I suspect you can entice a really good pilot to help you. If the timing is right, I could even be induced to buy a ticket out for the big event. How close are you to my brother in Manchester, NH?

There's also a part of me that says you need to fly this baby yourself to get your full dose of adrenaline (aren't we all adrenaline addicts?). If you're a decent RC pilot (Oh, God, please don't punish me again for saying this!) P-38's are not that hard to fly if you obey three basic rules: 1) Both engines must run at all times, 2) The gear must be strong, 3) Takeoff and Landing speeds must be kept high. The first two rules are very important, but the third is one that can get a even a good pilot without Lightning experience in trouble. You can't afford to waller them in. Ya have to scoot, and that means use some power.

mt
Old 11-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Flying Elvis
My Feedback: (13)

Just my .02 - any thought to putting a heading hold gyro in her until you gain enough altitude and airspeed after takeoff? I have been flying "full scale" twins for 20 years from a Beech Duchess to the Airbus A300, so I am a bit versed in yaw control at low airspeeds. It seems that it would be at or near Vmc that you get in trouble - also, with a prop you can get in trouble with an engine out because the higher thrust required from the good side produces alot of differential lift over that wing versus the wing with the dead engine. When combined with a low airspeed / high angle of attack, you get a "chicken roll" - basically an aileron roll induced by thrust, not control deflection. I am thinking that a gyro would help to maintain heading until you can get it cleaned up and some extra smash built up. Bring it around hot and don't drop the flaps for landing - with one out, your flight is over anyway - land soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.