Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 AM
gmorales
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the advice Charlie. That is mostly what I did, as you described, and the take off and landings were of no incident. I did not slave in some down elevator, but I will, because I see what you mean regarding the bit of ballooning at the end! Just about half right rudder was necessary to track straight on take-off. All went smoothly and I was able to get 4 very nice flights out of this airframe. It flies gracefully, lands like a dream and definitely feels more "loaded" than the Top Flite, even with the DA-85 (although it is a new motor and running a tad rich). As for engine cooling, no evidence of power fade, and at least on the ground, jug temps after shutdown were about 140-170 F

The only issue I had was the darn top cowl! I had used some of the narrow phenolic tabs in the kit, plus the spring lock pins to make the top cowl easily removable with no screws, but that was a fail. 2 of the 4 tabs broke and both steel pins sheared off ! This also caused a loosening of the cooling baffles. I ended up having to use duct tape to hold everything in place for 3 of the 4 flights. I probably should have used thick plywood tongues with bolts like the manual recommended. Now i'll I need to repair some of the fiberglass and redo the mounting tabs. Oh well, I guess only jets or get to do smooth, easy to remove cowls. These single-cylindered warbirds...shake!... although I actually found the engine to run quite smoothly, nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by gmorales; 11-23-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:30 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Very nice Gabriel! Awesome and congratulations on your maiden. I have been putting together 2 CARF models, the P51 reno racer and the P47. None have had a maiden flight yet. The P51 is ready, I am just waiting to build up the nerve to fly it. The P51 has a DA 100 inline, and it is electric in throttle response. Also very smooth. I built a custom muffler, so that the exhaust stacks exit out the right side of the airplane. In the same position of the "real" exhaust. I will attach some pictures.

here is a video of the motor running. temps were quite low with the baffling that came from CARF. I have pictures of that, if you want to see them.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:07 PM
gmorales

OMG, that sound! I bet the 100iL will be absolutely perfect, in power for this plane. This is in making comparisons to the DA-85 and how it felt adequate to be happy, but could use the punch of 15-20 cc more.

Well, if it helps any, I found no bad flying tendencies with my airframe (i am not sure if the wingspan is different for the Ghost?) I balanced per the manual, right on the leading edge of the wingtube, without fuel, upside down and gear down.

If you've done your ground runs, CG checks and some taxiing, and all looks well, you may just be in good shape for a straightforward maiden.

Keep us posted and thanks for the reply.
GM

Old 11-23-2020, 06:16 PM
orthobird

I went back and saw the baffling you did, that is amazing.

on the Ghost, for some reason, the CG is forward by maybe 10 to 15 mm from the leading edge of the tube. Could be due to the wing and how it is clipped compared to the P-51. This is also an area of disagreement, as I have heard some people say, the reno racers CG is at the front edge of the Wing tube, and others say it is further forward.

This is a picture someone sent me, that is demonstrating the CG point.

looks like the CG point is just in front of the leading edge of the canopy plastic.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:38 AM
orthobird

I finally got my lights installed. No easy task!

these are the sky candy lights. Max voltage is 6 volts. I am using a regulator. But I believe I will use an IBEC to power the lights. that way, I can control the on and off function with my throttle stick. Once I get over 50% throttle, the lights will turn on!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:13 PM
gmorales

Very cool ! Nice idea to use an IBEC too. Looking forward to seeing some flights !
GM
Old 07-26-2021, 01:59 AM
orthobird

UPDATE!!

yesterday was the maiden.

Got three flights in

Airplane flies very well!

I love it.

I think my prop may be too small, as I was getting close to 7400 rpm in the air.

I can probably kick up the pitch and possibly get more speed.