Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GSP hellcat????????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GSP hellcat????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GSP hellcat????????

Hey guys, it looks like I'm going to join you as a Hellcat pilot. How do you recon a ST G .90 would fly 'er? If not well how about a Saito 1.00? Probably need wt. in the nose with either of those though? Buddy of mine has a slightly used Saito 1.80 that I might be able to get...(that oughta do it aye?! )
Old 10-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Gunner
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an RCV 1.20 in mine. It flies very well and with a scale size prop ( 17 X12 3 blader), it looks the part. I had some heat issues so has to open up the bottom cowl flaps to let more air escape and that seems to have solved the problem. I also used CJ retracts and added a Robart mechanical tail wheel that is run from the same servo that drives the air valve for the mains.

I would say a OS 1.20 or Saito 1.20 would be plenty of power. A 1.80 would grossly overpower this airframe, it is not a 3D ship and overpowering it might detract from its scale flying character let alone tare it apart!!!

FYI the 17 x 12 prop is from Zinger.. It is not on their web site but they do have it and it is the same price as the 16 x 12. Just call them to order it.

Another good furom on this model is:

[link]http://www.rcbay.net/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=45&Topic=22&srow=11&erow=20[/link]

Enjoy...

Old 10-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gunner

I used an RCV 1.20 in mine. It flies very well and with a scale size prop ( 17 X12 3 blader), it looks the part.
What rpm are you getting with the 17x12 3-blader?

Ever thought about using Solo 3-bladed props with round tips? Solo blades and hub look good. Check them out here: [link]http://www.soloprops.com/[/link]
Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Gunner

To make the Zinger look more realistic, I rounded the tips myself then re-balanced. I doubt it made much difference to the performance of the prop but makes a huge diff to the way it looks. I get about 5200 RPM that 10,400 internal with the 2:1 gear ratio. The engine seems very happy at the speed.

Sound is awesome and low level high speed passes look very scale. Vertical is acceptable but flight envelope is more scale-like than typical sport or aerobatic models.

Thanks for the prop info. They are beutiful. But very pricey compared to the Zinger (44.00 for complete set baldes and mouning plates). I will recomend them to my friend building a Ziroli B-25 assuming they have models that fit G-45 engines.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Phantom pty

Nice pictures Gunner ..!!!!!

Just received my SAITO 1.50 [8D] and will be using a 3 blade prop , will try 16 X 8 with it....

Anybody can sugest type of servos to use in this plane .?? I was thinking
Hitec HS-325HB Servo Standard Karbonite Gear BB J with 42 oz torque will this do OK??
Old 10-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Gunner

I used standard servos on every surface including the HITEC 523HBs. I do use a 6 volt pack that gives them approx 60oz but that's not needed, just what I had. I used Pull Pull on thrudder to hide the unsightly horn provided and used two smaller horns under the level of the stab, out of sight. easy mod looks and works much better. The 150 should be awesome, i've seen several fly on a Saito 120 and that is plenty of power.

FYI, I had a small crack form on the top of the turtle deck where the two halves of the glass fuse come together. this is cuased by twisting on the fuse from engine torque and vibration. I fixed this easily with some 4 OZ glass tape and epoxy in the inside. I would recomend you do this before you complete the model especially with a 150 hauling it around!!!

Have fun.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:13 PM
saguaroh

Retracts for the GSP hellcat are a problem. Robart 615 do not fit .Century Jet made me a set of mechanical retracts but they would not stay locked up or down without air pressure (They should have known this). They next remodified them for air but now the air nipple was in wrong location for this arirplane and they wouldn't slide in to place. Sent them back again andthey are moving the nipple--they understand the problem. Should work now-i'll get them back(3rd time!) tomorrow. Be careful when you enlarge the hole through the spar to accomodate the air cylinder. If you remove too much the wing may fail. DO NOT cut away the spar.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
ffdq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAGUAROH,WITCH NIBBLE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE DOWN OR THE UP SIDE.ALSO IS CJ GOING TO CHARGE YOU FOR THE MOD.AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Phantom pty

Hello Again Guys .!!

Need to do som touch ups on my GSP Hellcat does anybody have the Color Code for the blue used in this plane..??
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no color code for the blue used in this plane. Just take a piece of blue covering to your local paint store and have them color matched it.