Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Tom,
got rid of the TF coursair early in the year, decided it was too small and not scale in outline to justify keeping it. Sold off the retracts as well.

Friend of mine got an extra 300 rpm by fitting a DA ignition to his G62 so just following his lead.

I actually have a brand new DA-85 & 3W-75 but they are earmaked for the Tempest and P40 respectively. Besides I hate re-engineing a bird, far too much hassle.

Mind you this conversion will be the last attempt to extract a little more.

Fist flight with the SF and j-tec combo on Sunday so will let you know whow it goes.

cheers
Peter
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tseres

I hate loosing!!!!!!

Don't looose just slap the outher side of the face to bring him arround

Pete

On moding the 62 we have one hear in another club, engine had about 10 hrs befor the up date flying a 30+lb Corsair prop is 22X8 not sure of the brand, slimline wraoarround muffler, 2 things he says makes it worth the $$ is the ease of starting and the rrr's on the top end.
So it sounds like a plan

post how it turns out

Cheers Bob T

Ps tom ware is the thread you started for got to mark it
Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Fist flight with the SF and j-tec combo on Sunday so will let you know whow it goes.

cheers
Peter
Hi Pete,

Are you going to be at Coolum Warbirds on Sunday?

I will be dropping in for a while on my way to BrisVegas for the week, won't have a model with me though.

Flying to Dalby for their airshow on Saturday.

Should be an intersting meeting for SCAF with all the BS that has been flying lately.[>:]

Cheers

Mick
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the same way about re engineering when you already have everything there.
You don't have anything to loose. I'm very curious to see how much it will help.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: rt3232

It's an ARF Sbach. For those of you that are interested. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9938271
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
AirplaneMan04

For those of you who have the TF GS P-47, can someone post an interior cowl width in about the center (front to back)
for me? I was wondering if a twin cylinder 50cc engine such as this would fit without hacking up the cowl.
A twin would sound more realisitic than a single cylinder in my opinion. Thanks!

[link]http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=213&osCsid=79f0aef98e4d133de32b3f85c71eccc8[/link]
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: rt3232

ORIGINAL: Tseres

I hate loosing!!!!!!

Don't looose just slap the outher side of the face to bring him arround

Pete

On moding the 62 we have one hear in another club, engine had about 10 hrs befor the up date flying a 30+lb Corsair prop is 22X8 not sure of the brand, slimline wraoarround muffler, 2 things he says makes it worth the $$ is the ease of starting and the rrr's on the top end.
So it sounds like a plan

post how it turns out

Cheers Bob T

bob,
will do mate
be a while though as my funds are very tight at the moment and will take a few weeks to get the work done anyway.

just started ina new job and going ga ga [sm=bananahead.gif]

cheers
Peter
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: BOLTMAN

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

cheers
Peter
Hi Pete,

Are you going to be at Coolum Warbirds on Sunday?

I will be dropping in for a while on my way to BrisVegas for the week, won't have a model with me though.

Flying to Dalby for their airshow on Saturday.

Should be an intersting meeting for SCAF with all the BS that has been flying lately.[>:]

Cheers

Mick
hi Mick,
yes mate planning on getting there on the Sun. Should be just myself and the boy as the new lady is off for the weekend to visit rellies.

agree the BS in the Warbirds group is getting ridiculous, I have been hearing about it all 3rd hand mind but really are these guys off their tree? It is killing the group. Bloody minded control freaks.
grrr [>:]

cheers
Peter
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

airplane man think you would have cyclinders hanging out in the breeze. difference in sound is not going to make mush of an improvement by having a twin. Only benefit is that is would be far smoother then a single.

I'd get some cowl meaqsurements then meaqsure your proposed donk. It might fit!

dunno on the cockpit width, would have to measure, at work at the moment and the fuz won't fit in my laptop case or I'd be working on it here in the office hehehe
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
AirplaneMan04

Thank you peter
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well sorted out the retracts on the Seafury today. One of the adjusting valves on the UP1 had vibrated out, could not find the lock nut but took the brass taper and locknut out of a new UP2 I have.

Tail wheel was not closing the doors and that was becase the lever had broken loose, again some glue and all was good.

Lastly one of the Robart quick disconnects was leaking, replaced that and now the retract cycle nicely.

so both Seafury and Mustang charged and ready to rock tomorrow. Trailer is hooked up ready to go.

Little man is with me this weekend, the control freak off to Coffs Harbour to visit rellies, good riddance. So boys weekend [8D]
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

flew my warbirds for first time in over 18 months.

First flight was with the Seafury, had about 10 degree of flap on to help it off but it was too much and it lifted off much sooner then I wanted it to so kept it low skimming the longer grass while I fiddled trying to get the gear up, when I did find the switch they refused to come up!!

Got some height, stooged around, did a roll, a few low passes but was a bit rattled and thumbs were twitchy so brought it in for a nice landing. Tail wheel mech was locking on the shaft and I could not tighten it any more so that grounded that bird.

P51 was next, now this engine has not been run in 18 months (ST2500), primed it, ran the spinner backwards with my hand and it started stright away with good power, very pleased with that. Nice take off, roll, loop, low passes but inner gear door came loose and was flapping about so brought it in for a nice landing. Door needs repairs so #2 bird grounded too.

Oh well took both home intact. Little bit of work required and need to send the G62 off to get converted once I sort out who is doing it for me.

cheers
PEter
Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Tseres

Hey Pete. Glad to see you made it back in the air again.
In spite of the small mishaps, it sounds like you had a good day.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Tom,
yes mate was a good day and good to be back flying the waqrbirds, even with a few dramas. Got to expect that since I had not flown these in so long.

cheers
Peter
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 AM
smkrcflyer

Has anyone done a two piece wing for this kit? The full wing at 85" is going to be a bit big for my car.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
rt3232

Hi Pete

Been a while, I am with Tom good your getting back in the air with the W/birds, and not to sure about more RPM's on the 62 mod but it sure make it easeyr to start who is doing the mod ? and are you going for the hop/up to the block ?

not much flying hear do to wind and time

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
rt3232

smkrcflver aka Steve

Don't recall of any 3 piece wings in the 5 years I have been surfacing rcu, but that is not to say it can't br done, will be a little wieght penality, and I have to admit 85 " wings are a bit of a bugger.

Good luck

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Tseres

Just got these pictures from a guy that works at Hobby Town in Indianapolis. He had a feeling that I would want these. He was right.
These are from my first Air Show that I actually flew the plane on August 1st.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Tseres

I double posted by accident.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good pics there Tom

Got the new ignition conversion kit on the way from Glens models in the UK, also got the 90 degree carb bend which will place the carb facing backwqards where it can draw air from underneath.

All up about $250 AUD which I'm happy with. The conversion kit comes with everything you needs sans the battery. So good eal as long as it performs.

Toying with the idea of removing the sping starter as some say it robs the engine of about 200 rpm, anyone know for certain?

Might do a post in the gas engines section and see what fish bite !

cheers
Peter
Old 08-28-2010, 05:46 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

I do not believe the spring starter takesd away any output from the engine as long as it is lubricated well at least once per sesaon, I have a G45 in my Mustang with a spring starter and it has a lot of muscle - more than I have seen out of any other G45. It swings a Xoar 20x10 prop at 7700 rpm static. If it were me, I would leave it in and lube it with some molybdenum based grease. You won't rgret it. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

spent that day pulling the Seafury apart.

Fixed teh gear dorrs with extra bracing at the base so they dont twist in flight, tht took me most of yesterday arvo to get right.

Then today I have pulled the engine off in prep for converting it to electronic igntion and have removed the spring starter. I may put it back on, undecided at this stage.

Spent about 3 hours removing the tail wheel group, what a mongrol of a job. The grub screws on the tiller arm had come loose and the thread was work down so have to drill & tap it to 4-40 from 2-56. Seems one grub screw vanished and the other had worn the thread out.

So will file a flat both sides on the shaft then drill & tap the tiller arm. Putting the bloody thing back in will be a fun job - NOT

Next chore is to remove the trays holing the servos and other bits so I can remove the fuel tank. Reason being is the mouning bolts have become abit loose from vibration and use so need a tighten up . Think the soft mount rubber grommets may have compressed causing this. Anyway it needs to be fixed before the engine goes back on.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 AM
BOLTMAN

Hi Pete,

What sort of mounts are you dealing with on the Sea Fury? If it is an old set of Scale Aviation mounts the rubbers deteriorate over time and go really soft, almost like jelly. If this has happened to yours I can put you on to a source of replacement rubbers at a reasonable price.

I missed the SCAF do at Coolum as I have been flattened by a flu for the last 8 days.

Cheers

Mick
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: BOLTMAN

Hi Pete,

What sort of mounts are you dealing with on the Sea Fury? If it is an old set of Scale Aviation mounts the rubbers deteriorate over time and go really soft, almost like jelly. If this has happened to yours I can put you on to a source of replacement rubbers at a reasonable price.

I missed the SCAF do at Coolum as I have been flattened by a flu for the last 8 days.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,
you did not miss much at Coolum, very dissapointing turn out and the meeting went for over an hour. Blah bloody blah

mmm not sure is they are the old SA soft mounts but think they might be as they have gone very much like jelly and need to be replaced.

If you can get me the details on where to get them replaced that would be appreciated. Hope your flu clears up soon.

cheers
Peter
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 AM
BOLTMAN

Hi Pete,

for the replacement mounts go to -

http://www.airpowertechnologies.net/...cessories.html

Scroll down a bit and you will see "Isolation Mounts - Large"

They are a drop in replacement for the Scale Aviation ones but a little harder. $15.00us for a set of 4. They charged me $15.00us postage for 2 sets.

I think from memory you have to e-mail them to order.

Cheers

Mick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.