Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you bet a 1/2 hour hear and there and you will have it done in no time. I did the front of the cowl different this time using a cast dummy insted of the abs thing, and made my own gear case cover so it looks a bit more like a prat will ad a pic when I get it done outher than that it is ready for paint
But with the weather we are having, not a chace been 15 to 30 below and wind chills to 50 hi during the last few days has been -2 or more and looks like another week of it. by the way we also got a bit of snow hear at my place 12 more inches

Off to work Ba

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds kind of nice Bob, mine only has the TF dummy and it looks ok. Not as good as I would like. Maybe if I had added the magnetos covers it would look better but only so much more I am willing to do on this. Will get windscreen fixed up, sand away the glue mess and tidy all of that up. Still ahve the cowl mount system to complete to my satisfaction. Just needs a bit of easing ehre and there to get it all to fit nicely.

Then some work on the lading gear rails to beef them up. Bit of block balsa under where the dummy AE goes and it is ready to paint.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Just got my JR 12X radio back after having been modified by the agents from DSM2 to DSMX. Makes for a more robust RF link once I get some some DSMX rxrs. For the moment though I can continue to use my existing DSM2 Rxrs.

Much greter range of rxrs available on DSMX which will allow me to keep using this radio for a few more years yet. Can't afford a new radio though the new X28 does look nice and it talks to you!

will be working on planes over the weekend including the 47 so stay tuned!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 PM
rt3232

Hay Pete, No one in my club is using J/R equipment, we are not a big club tho. so is the DSM2 a 2.4G/H system or does the up grade do that ?, I am a frustrated Futaba user an old 8u up dated to 2.4 and a new 7c, as I think there manual writers leave a lot to be assumed. but that is just me

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

here in oz we mostly use JR and lesser extent Hitec. There are some fanatic Futaba users but it's not nearly as popular as in the US.

the 12X was already 2.4 but used the DSM2 spreadspecrum technology which locks up 2 channels and holds onto those and can be susceptable to degraded performance or a brownout if the signal becomes scrammbled becauses of other 2.4 uses on the locked up ch. The DSM2 uses an econding system that allows for multiple users on one ch however tehre is a saturation point at which the signal ecoding becomes lost in the "noise" and hence you lose the channel and potentially the RF link.

DSMX is frequency agile. It using frequency hopping, hopping over 1000sof time per second in a pre determined alogorithim between the TX & RX. In this way the chances of losing signal or drecreased by serval orders of magnitude. If a channel is browned out it simply hops to the next. Brown out o lock out restoration times is meaured in milseconds compared to seconds in the older technology.

So both are 2.4 spread spectrum but DSM2 is fixed channel (2) whereas DSMX is frequency agile.

Yes another reason Futaba is not popular here is that it is very hard to program compared to ther brands and the manual as you correctly state sucks!!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

What's doing guys? Everyone frozen stiff in their workshops?

I'm getting my old Pica Spit back in the air so I have a simple warbird to fly. It is around 40 years old, ASP .61 2S in the nose. Had to put a new carby on it as the old one had siezed and beyone resurection.

New battery packs and I have a new JR 7ch DSMX Rx on the way.
It is good little model, 65" span, flaps and sping air retracts.

anyone know anything about tuning MVVS petrol engines? the one in my tiggy is being a PINTB!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
apalsson

Originally Posted by Peter_OZ
anyone know anything about tuning MVVS petrol engines? the one in my tiggy is being a PINTB!!!
Amigo, just e-mail me offline. I should be able to help. Not the MVVS dealer anymore but I haven't forgotten everything
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by apalsson
Amigo, just e-mail me offline. I should be able to help. Not the MVVS dealer anymore but I haven't forgotten everything
Ari, derr of course
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
apalsson

Ari, derr of course
Mate, all that womanising is making you forgetful!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get with the program Pete. Even I knew Ari could help you and I live in the States.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Pete,
Are you planning on coming up to the Susan River (Hervey Bay) Warbirds in a couple of weeks? I plan on taking my Jug which is no longer electric, converted it to a DLE55 and it goes great.
Mick
Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by apalsson
Mate, all that womanising is making you forgetful!
But of course, latest is 39 . . . couple of others on the go too. ahhh the life of the Tomcat, errr bachelor hehehe
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Tseres
Get with the program Pete. Even I knew Ari could help you and I live in the States.
good one mate!! How is that good hungarian wine going? I am thinking now that I am single and will stay that way for a while this time that I should plan a few trips. One will be to the good Ol US of A and will come sort you lot of rabble rousers out. so behave!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by BOLTMAN
Hi Pete,
Are you planning on coming up to the Susan River (Hervey Bay) Warbirds in a couple of weeks? I plan on taking my Jug which is no longer electric, converted it to a DLE55 and it goes great.
Mick

Mick,

dunno, would like to but all I have at the moment is the little Pica spit which I am putting back in the air and the P51 which needs retracts sorted out. If I can get the mustang sorted I might make it up.

cheers
Peter
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Tseres

good one mate!! How is that good hungarian wine going? I am thinking now that I am single and will stay that way for a while this time that I should plan a few trips. One will be to the good Ol US of A and will come sort you lot of rabble rousers out. so behave!
Come on. I have a bottle of Tokai waiting for you.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

well keep it well corked!!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
willig10

Default Hello everyone.

Well it has taken me 4 days to pseudo read through this rope. This is freakin awesome, tons of info and all the guys who have maidened and the one guy who started it all is still building. I just pulled the trigger on a GS top flight P-47 and hope that it will be 1/4 of what some of you guys have accomplished. Pete, I saw that you had a new Years resolution awhile back. Man I sure hope you get her done.

Reading through this thread has been like a soap opera. I love it and everytime I clicked next post I kept expecting Pete to have his bird maidened. I am waiting with great anticipation for that to happen.

Anyway my name is Glenn and I am from Fort Worth, Texas and I am a P-47 builder.

Cant wait for the next round of updates.

Wishing all of you well.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Unboxing1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1968882  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 AM
willig10

Peter, Tseres and all:
Good morning. I hope this is not a redundant question. I would like to build the inner doors on my P-47. That said, looking through the thread I see some of you have done this. I am new to retracts and was wondering if you might have part numbers for the actuators and miscellaneous parts needed to perform this? I did not see a lot of detailed pictures and if anyone has some close up pictures and instructions It would be greatly appreciated. If not it is no biggie as I will plunder through.

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards
Glenn Williams
Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM
Tseres

Hi Glen. Welcome. Sorry. My inner gear doors didn't work. No sense on commenting on something like that. Pete will probably show how he's doing his. I'm waiting to see it myself.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 AM
rt3232

Hi glen
I did not do them as I for got to add some lite ply to stiffen up the inner rib, will be intersting to watch Pete do his.

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Originally Posted by willig10
Well it has taken me 4 days to pseudo read through this rope. This is freakin awesome, tons of info and all the guys who have maidened and the one guy who started it all is still building. I just pulled the trigger on a GS top flight P-47 and hope that it will be 1/4 of what some of you guys have accomplished. Pete, I saw that you had a new Years resolution awhile back. Man I sure hope you get her done.

Reading through this thread has been like a soap opera. I love it and everytime I clicked next post I kept expecting Pete to have his bird maidened. I am waiting with great anticipation for that to happen.

Anyway my name is Glenn and I am from Fort Worth, Texas and I am a P-47 builder.

Cant wait for the next round of updates.

Wishing all of you well.

Glenn
Glenn
welcome to the thread.
you can also find more coincise information about the TF P-47 kit build at the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-47-build.html

good luck with your build
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Glenn,
welcome aboard. Part of the initiation and right of passage here is that you must pass Oz101, even Bob managed it so you should be sweet, no brainer Y'all hehe.

There are 2 things you need to decide on very early on.

1. Engine choice

2. Vanilla build or scale

If you go the former then it is a straight forward build, ignore inner gear doors. Just build it eaxaclty as per the book. Simple and you will be flying in a few months.

If you go my route then be prepared for some major work. I redesigned many things, retracts into scale location, i.e raked back required redesign of spars and fitting of sub spars to carry the loads.

As for inner gear doors these are quite easy to do. Before cutting out the wing sheeting where the gear goes lay down some plastic cling wrap and glass up gear doors for the inner and outers. That way you have the correct curve.

As for driving them you need to calulate the length of throw for the air cyclinders or whatever design you use to drives those doors. In my case I did some basic geometry calulations to derive the amount of throw and location of the cyclinders. They ar driven by an Ultra Precision valve. You need the type then when you lower the gear the inner gear doors open first, then the mains lower and inner gear doors stay open. Reverse when gear goes up. This is different tothe P51 style which is inner gear doors open, mains lower, inner gear doors close.

Myself and others have posted on here how to do inner gear doors with photos etc. Where they are you will have to search. This thread has been going for about 10 years now so far too long to remember finer details.

Best of luck and enjoy the build.

Cheers
Peter
Old 02-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ok my update:

P47 still on bench but the positive thing is that it is on the bench. Still to refit the windscreen after it got broken off. Some minor hanger rash from the move last Nov. There really is not much to do on this bird now. Hanger rash, windscreen, finish the cowl mount system, reinforce landing gear rails and go paint it. Systems fit out and then test flights.

Other things:

spent a few days going through my other birds that have been neglected for so long. My old Pica Spit 65" has now run again for first time in about 7 years. New carby, JR 7ch DSMX Rx, 2 x new battery packs and it ready to fly. Still do a CG check though.

Astrohog has new battery packs and carby freed up. Ran a tank of fuel through it. Boy is the OS .91FS going strong!!

1/4 scale J3 CUB has had its glow battery cycled, it was measuring 0.1v. Needs to have the engine run but should be ok as it was running and flying last June.

That leaves 82" P51 to have the retracts sorted out so that they sequence and operate reliably. They have been giving grief for quite some time.

90" Seafury wing kit is on it's way and should be here within a week or 2.

So at least I am pottering and doing a few things as well as getting out to the field and flying again.

Why is it that bloody women stop you enjoying your hobby? Damn control freaks. Man being single again has really opened up my eyes to just how controlling the last one was!!!

anyway that was my rant for the moment
Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
willig10

Thanks Peter. Well for my 1st round of Oz101 here goes. "Put anotha shrimp on de barbie". Hows that for my 1st Oz test? lol. Well I think I have made my choice of engines and I am going to go with the G62 magneto version and spring start. The weight should help out, I hope. On the scale side of things. I think after rethinking what I wanted to do is have operating scale flaps (temperature controlled) and just the mains (outer gear doors) working. I am not going to put a lot of work in operating tail wheel doors. I am more or less going to build per the manaul and for sure going to have panel lines and either burnt in or stick on rivets (Mirce). Time will tell as I have travels planned due to work it will be a slow build. I plan on keeping it as light as possible. Dont we all?

Thanks and have a great day. Hope my Oz test was ok.

Glenn
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Originally Posted by willig10
Thanks Peter. Well for my 1st round of Oz101 here goes. "Put anotha shrimp on de barbie". Hows that for my 1st Oz test? lol. Well I think I have made my choice of engines and I am going to go with the G62 magneto version and spring start. The weight should help out, I hope. On the scale side of things. I think after rethinking what I wanted to do is have operating scale flaps (temperature controlled) and just the mains (outer gear doors) working. I am not going to put a lot of work in operating tail wheel doors. I am more or less going to build per the manaul and for sure going to have panel lines and either burnt in or stick on rivets (Mirce). Time will tell as I have travels planned due to work it will be a slow build. I plan on keeping it as light as possible. Dont we all?

Thanks and have a great day. Hope my Oz test was ok.

Glenn
Glenn, maaaate. you failed miserably on Oz 101. Facts. We do not put a "shrimp on the barbie" In fact the only thing that goes on the barbie are steaks, snags, onions and sometimes moreton bay bugs! We do not call them "shimp" We call them prawns. Prawns are generally boiled and eaten cold. Peel the shell off which is an art form and gobble them down. Paul hogan has a lot to answwer for. Nor do we drink Fosters beer, that stuff is like cat's piss and only good for throwibng at the Poms when we flog them at cricket and any other sport we care to thrash them at. Poms (The English) are only on this planet to be thrashed by the aussies in all sporting endeavours. Such is their lot in life. They are useful for wining, moaning and winging. Hence the term winging poms. Poms like to talk up their sporting ability through the use of the barmy army with colourful singing when they invade australia during the cricket, ashes series. Australia has a secret weapon or two namely sledging and the use of Mitchel Johnson to bash them out of the game.

Confused? Good it is a septics place to be confused by Aussies.

Bogan. Australian slang for no hopers, bludgers, parasites of limited IQ, EQ and basically ignoramuses living on the public purse or those who do work lacking in all forms of cultural knowedge except for hooning in white commodore cars, and basically taking oxygen they are not entitled to. You will have similar creatures where you are.

You will need to google what a moreton baby bug is. Essentially it is a ocean version of a cockroach. Bloody yummy though.

No prob on a G62, good reliable donk. Operating cowl flaps? Pfffttt forget it, too complex, another thing to go wrong and more weight for no gain. Tail wheel doors are easy. Read through the posts. Bob and Tom did them!! As do most others.

Panel lines and rivets are cool if you have the patience and lots of red wine aka Tom and my old mate from Melbourne Alan who likes a cheeky red while he burns rivets. Me on the other hand like a cheeky red for other purposes, or a cheeky blonde for that matter too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.