Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF GS P47 Build - yeah another bloody one!!

John,

the filler that I use for doing sheeting prior to glassing is a lightweight mirror finish spackle that is ready mixed. Made by Selleys, now you probably do not get Selley's products over there but any hardware store will have ready to use lightweight mirror finish fillers.

I have used top coat filler that is used for going over the seams in plaster wall sheets but it does not have enough body.

Once I have glassed I then use an automotive filler , forget the name but it is normally a reddish colour. It sands well, has good adhesion and you apply it with a piece of stiff card. I use it mainly for raised access hatches, overlapping panels etc. Lay down a piece of tape then spread this stuff out feathering it as you go outboard. Then sand down ot the tape. Leave a nice raised panel of a realistic thickness.

No idea on Ultra coat as I have never used the stuff. Is that a glass resin or is it a paint? For resin I use aircraft grade araldite, 50:50 thinned to a water consitency with metho. Paint waise I just use automotive acrylic laquer mixed from paint samples by a panel beating shop I know of.

Ahh engines, here's a can of worms. ZDZ60 should be great I would think. The Fuji I'm not sure of. I have heard a few things to the negative on these engines. do some research and ask people who have them is best.

For my money Zenoah is way to go. G-62, simple, sturdy and parts a planety and the price is reasonable. You can get electronic ignitions as well from after maket suppliers. Really smooths them out.

cheers
Peter
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Rob C
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canuck1
I just stumbled onto this thread a few days ago. The TF gs P47 is my next project, having just ordered the kit and the tail wheel retract (Robart). I see you are using the Robart gear for the mains, just looking at your wing. I am getting some good ideas off this form and maybe can bypass some of the mistakes others run into. I really like the looks of your project so far. oh yea I'm from Winnipeg.
Rob C.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Guys,
been doing some building on the RHS wing panel. As from my earlier posts my plan has been to build this as per normal then modify for sub spars and scale gear location.

Aft sub spars are now in with one of the play braces epoxied in place. Very straight forward. Only thing to note is to ensure you put packing under the ribs prior to cutting for the subspar, also when fitting the bottom spar it needs to be packed up to keep it flush with the bottom of the ribs.

I need to now get the calipers out and do a series of measurements so that I can get the correct dimensions for the dihedral brace to be fitted in this aft subspar. Once that is done I'll measure and cut for the other ply brace then epoxy it in.

From there it is the same procedure for the front subspar.

You will note in the pics the red vertical marks on the ribs, this is the guide marks for the wheel well that has to be cut out. I won't have to remore the top of the main spar of indeed the tops of the ribs in the well area, I'll be able to lay a well floor over what is left of the ribs in this area.
Not sure of the exact depth till I get my 6" main wheels.

Anyway it is progressing very smoothly. If you can build the main spar as per the destructions ok then you will have no problems doing the subspars as it is exactly the same procedure.

All up the extra weight is not going to be a lot, should be well under a 1lb and the wing be very strong.

2nd photo shows the cut marks being drawn on rib 1 - very easy. Take a perpendicular line off the marks you drew on the plans then extend the vertical line up the ribs.

cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27640.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	250105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87665.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	250106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72760.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	250107   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55481.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	250108  
Old 03-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Bit more progress today.

Ribs have been cut out for the fwd subspar. Pics detail this. Bit fiddly and time consuming this front one but straight forward enough if you are patient.

I'll cut out the play braces tomorrow then epoxy to the subspars themselves. Then the ribs are glued to the ply braces.

then that wonderful task of sanding the new subspar top sections to conform to the wing airfoil shape . [:@]

May even start on the wing sheeting tomorrow too - will see.

Once the top is sheeted I'll flip it over and start cutting out the wheel well, false well floors, walls and the mounts for the retracts - fun fun fun!

Anyway din dins is ready.

cheers
Peter

Name:	Tr51762.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	250398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68764.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	250399  
Old 03-28-2005, 04:02 PM
john pickford

have just more or less finished a Brian Taylor P47 D razorback (modified to a bubble top) and finished it in the colors of M X -E as stationed at Duxford,when I learn to drive this B---- computer properly I'll post a photo . As for the color ,it is a shade of grey,as one of my buddy's has been to Duxford and viewed the beast . My model is 77" has unitract retracts, a Super Tigre 23 for power, and weighs 19Lb . To balance I have fitted on board glow as the battery helps with the C/G along with some lead.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

sounds nice, I'm not familiar with MX-E but have a few shots of MX-X from when I went to Duxford last year.

cheers
Peter

Name:	Pn37351.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	250658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99221.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	250659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19404.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	250660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65401.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	250661  
Old 04-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Canuck1

Finally I have got back to working on the P-47. Wings are now fully sheeted, including Flaps and Ailerons. I will be taking my time with this plane, as I am not planning on flying it this year.

Craig.

Name:	Mk25847.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	252764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81581.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	252765  
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Gday Craig,
looks like you are making good progress there mate. whish my wings were all sheets and the other bits done.

I've fainlly got all the subspars in today, just waiting on epoxy to cure on the last ply brace then have to sand all of that to conform to the curve of the wing. Next will be sheeting then flip it all over so I can tackle the gear mounts.

What I think I will do is to use the mounting positions as shown on the plans and the ribs as a guide to get angles right then I will extend those out and crank to the correct angle.

Couple of pics attached first shows the subspars in and the fwd one clamped while the ply brace cures.

Second one shows one of my blown up subspars - sure will make detailing layout easy.

Well roast beef for din dins - roast taties and smothered in gravy yummmmo!!

I'm off

cyas later
Peter

Name:	Xv63990.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	253246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83344.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	253247  
Old 04-09-2005, 04:17 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

slow progress of late - too much time on ebay

have butt jointed all 8 sets of wing sheets as per the destructions and they are currently drying under the weight of some pavers.

Here is a tip I used if you are pressed for room.

Lay down some glad wrap plastic lunch wrap on your table then lay one of the completed skins on top, another layer of glad wrap then put the next completed skin etc etc. Lastly put a final layer of glad wrap then weight it all down with heavy weights - I used pavers, 4 on each pile.

Well flying tomorrow weather permitting, it been bucketing down here last few days, bloody cane toads will be breeding up so I might get some golf practice in

Will sand the ribs and ply b racing tomorrow and maybe even sheet the wing half.

cheers
Peter
Old 04-09-2005, 10:16 AM
aps f4u

Hi all, Today I have finaly come to the part of painting my GS Jug. It has been a long winter and and a couple hundred hours put in to this Jug, but it was all worth it.

I am getting realy excited to fly this bird and hope to achive first flight in the next couple of weeks. I hope every thing I have heard about the flight characteristics and beeing and all around good flyer are true. This is my first giant scale war bird build, so I don't know what to really expect, but I am soon to find out!

I'll post some pic's of the P-47 after I have painted it. Good luck to all who are building the P-47 and for the ones who have posted pic's of there P-47's, they are looking great!

a
Old 04-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Guys,
Been reading everyones posts lately. Just this week I flew my GS P-47 for the first time. It flew great with just two clicks of left ail. trim but needed all the down trim I could give it. I balanced slightly nose heavy but when you poor on the coals that ZDZ 80 just climbs!! Most of the time I was at 1/3 throttle and with that big 26x10 prop the fan diameter looks so scale. I was originaly concerned that I would have too much down line braking but not an issue at all. As I may of stated a while back this one is monocoat and done up as Tar Heal Hal. This is the first time I have done such a "striking" color layout on a warbird and it really stands out in the sky. Denny at Cajun RC did my graphics and they came out great. Aps- this is my first GS warbird as well and it flys most of the envelope more easily than the 1/7 stuff. No pitch change at all with flaps and gear down, it just plows through the sky like the real one. Also much less right rudder was needed on take off then I expected. One thing you may want to consider is give yourself more elevator throw on high rate then what TF recommends or if your radio allows triple rates. On my last landing I almost ran out of elev. fed in more power to compensate as we all know thats SOP but IMO you need more pitch control. I had already upped the throw 2/16 above the high rate recommended and will dial in 2/16 more. At the stated elev rates I wouldnt loop this bird without a bunch of alt. The real ones flight envelope for a loop was similar. Yours may be different and I know my balance pt, power set up, fuel weight etc maybe to blame, just a heads up. My flying buddy took 35 pics so I will get some posted when I put them in Digital formatt (scanner is on the fritz). All in all a great flyer with do bad habits that I could find. I just picked up the 1/5 scale TF P-51B on E-bay!!! Not something you see at the field often and been out of production awhile.

Cheers,
Kirk
Old 04-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the leading edge sheeted on the right panel this evening. The left panel is framed and top sheeted. I will temporarily join the wing halves to install the spring air mounts to get it right.
Been a long day today. Spent 9 hours running a transmitter impound at our clubs first heli-rally. A little over 50 pilots. Pretty good showing.
Edwin
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

apsf4u,

excellent, good to see another about to launch. Not many big P47s if any for that matter down this way. Weird as they are such nice models.

Hope your maiden flights go well for you.

cheers
Peter
Old 04-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey Kirk,
mate thats good news, sounds as though yours is nice and light. I'm being very slow with mine of late, little motivation and too much time with other stuff.

Will get back into it though.

Edwin: don't you just hate running the TX pound? Hope they gave you a few breaks during the day - 9hrs is a long stint to cross your legs

cheers
Peter
Old 04-11-2005, 03:47 AM
ubique13

Hi, my name is Simon, I have just come accross this thread, and would like to join the conversation, I am currently in the middle of building a P47D Razor Back, I have selected to go with Robart Retracts, and would like to fit doors to both the mains as well as the tail wheel not sure how to go about it, any clues would be great the scale I chose was the Top Flyte 1/7
60 size
I have chosen a OS 4 stroke 90 rather than the 2 stroke, seems to fit within the cowl a little better.
I am up to the stage of glassing, and have decided to use the flite metal to cover it with and am awaiting it's arrival, I started this project last October, but have not spent a lot of time lately, I seem to have got to the stage where I am not sure which way to go next if you know what I mean, or maybe not. This is my first try at scale model building.

I have attached a couple of photos as it is now, if anyone can give me some pointers on finishing, retrct doors or what ever then please go ahead.

Peter look forward to seeing more pics of yours as it progreses.

Simon

Name:	Db86036.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	256876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18475.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	256877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98175.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	256878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51677.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	256879  
Old 04-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Edwin

It wasnt so bad. Those helicopter guys were a pretty polite and cooperative bunch. Especially since I am master of the universe during that time. <g>
Edwin
Old 04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Edwin

Joined the wings last night and checked incedence. The plans state +1deg on the stab. Didnt see anything on the wing. I am assuming 0deg. I have the +1 on the stab and my wing comes out to +1 also. They are basically 0-0 to each other. To those of you that have built and flown this one, did you setup with +1 stab, 0 wing? It may be due to the wing saddle not being complete at this time and the forward dowel mounts are not installed. Its easy enough to setup at this point. Just want to know what the wing incedence should be. Or am I blind?
Edwin
Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Connery

The stab should be +1 in relationship to the wing from what I read on my plans. So since the stab is already in position set the, I would adjust the wing saddle until you get it a -1 from the stab incedence.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Edwin

Found it. Its in little print on the fuse profile in the middle of the root rib. +1 for the wing and +1 for the stab. I'm dead nuts on the money.
Edwin
Old 04-14-2005, 08:14 PM
FliteMetal

Hi Simon:

Flite-Metal is in route to you. Its about five days to down under from Houston. Looking forward to seeing your covered bird.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Connery

Edwin, you da man!! I went back and looked at my plans too and you are absolutly correct, both the wing and stab are both at +1
Old 04-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Edwin

OK, I'm working on retract geometry. Putting in spring-air. Is the axl even with the leading edge? I'm about 1/2" back, no big deal I think. Can someone measure a finished plane and see.
Edwin
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM
FliteMetal

Check your CG with the gear down...
Old 04-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Connery

Ed,

Since he modified the wings so that the landing gear retracts more towards the rear like the full size, shouldn't he balance it with the gear up, since the gear in the rectracted position will shift more weight farther to the reat.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 PM
FliteMetal

I didn't mean don't balance it with the gear up... I'm interested in his understanding how narrow the CG is when the gear is down. It could mean the difference between a decent solid landing and a series of multiple landings then a roll out Is the gear in the down position in the scale position? That's a big plus on a P-47.

Remember there is caster and camber on gear placement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.