Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Covering A Topflite 'JUG' with Flite Metal step by step

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Covering A Topflite 'JUG' with Flite Metal step by step

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:17 PM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Covering A Topflite 'JUG' with Flite Metal step by step

Thanks Jimmy, Thats an old photo, I am in the process of putting the paint on her now. Will post a current pic soon.

As far as the sliding canopy goes I started out with a yellow AC conapy, the two planes are very close in scale. The TF is terrible[]

I made the two side rails out of pvc square tubing, the rear I made from scratch, took me about 4 tries to get it all right. I am not sure if there is anything you can buy so you don't have to build one.

As far as the FM, It's sorta easy to do, And even if you are going to add paint I would say by putting the FM down first as the plane ages and the paint chips it will look great. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95124.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1631871   Click image for larger version

Name:	fc90543.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1631872   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh15661.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1631873  
Old 07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Jim the Top Flite ARF P-47 must fly real good. I'm sure mine is heavy and it performs.

Ron the inner gear doors look good. Your 47 looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Regarding painting over Flite Metal I'ne had -o- problems using 2 part Klass Kote epoxie and "Poly S' water base as I used for the anti glare strip on the nose.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
RWHorton

Thanks Richard for the kind words. Your right it does look like a brand new bird. I hope as it ages it looks more like a 70 year old bird. I have been using auto paint and it works really good.

Ron
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
ramcfarland

Finally made it to the field again with my P-47 had the timer on the 9303 set for 10 minutes which was plenty for he ZDZ50NG...As previously posted I changed to a ZDZ-80 a fine and easy starting engine; just one problem a 24 OZ tank is not enough for a 10 minute flight with a reserve of fuel for approach and landing-

And so it occured :ran out of fuel low and slow could not make the runway. So made a forced landing bending my right gear strut ,at that point the timer goes off letting me know I was in the air 10 minutes but Dang-I was on the ground in 9 minutes when the timer goes off [:@]

So What tank do you all with ZDZ-80 RV or such reccomend for giving me say 15 minutes airtime.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
RWHorton

9 minutes and used 24 oz's, thats 2.6oz's per minute. Looks like a 40 ounce would be about right for 15 minutes, but add a few more for a safty margin. Richard I have the same set up. you wouldn't have any video of you starting and flying would you?

Ron
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
RWHorton

Newest pic.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87702.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1672838  
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 PM
ramcfarland

Sorry no video at this time .

Your P-47 looks great
Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
RWHorton

Thanks Richard, I'll be so glad when it is finished.

Ron
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
ramcfarland

Hi Ron hope your 47 is finished .

I spent quite a while fixing fuel problems on mine ,more specifically the fuel lines,I used a more plastic type yellow gas tubing that I got from RCS when they were in business ;finally they wore out (the fuel pick up line had aged and fell of inside the fuel tan!) When I changed to a softer gas fuel tubing found at True value hardware, I found it would not stay on- Finally I located some of the plastic type gas fuel tubing which seems the same as the type I used to get from RCS and once again the fuel tubing remains attached to the brass fuel lines. I have also got Dubro products fuel line barbs and think I will silver solder those on to the fuel tanks fuel lines,for added security-

.When it warms a bit I will hopefully get the engine running again. What a bummer it was not being able to take it to my clubs War Bird rally last year [&o]
Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM
ramcfarland

Sorry for very late reply,regarding time to cover, mine went very slow the main reason being I did not have good documentation on the separate panels of the 47 until after I had completed the project. I used 1/48 scale plastic model for reference,that being said I later found the correct and much easier way is to have scale "3 views" enlarged to the size of P-47 you are covering with Flite Metal. Hind sight is 100%