Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GOLD EDITION FW 190 D9?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GOLD EDITION FW 190 D9?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:44 PM
JIMARRINGTON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF GOLD EDITION FW 190 D9?

I just bought a FW 190 Gold edition kit and I have an OS .91 FX 2 stroke that I want to put in it. The plans call for the engine to be inverted. I am not too thrilled about having an inverted engine. Has anyone built and flown this airplane with this powerplant mounted differently and what changes need to be made to do it? I am also planning on using a Bisson in cowl muffler that if the engine is placed sideways will put the exhaust at the bottom and the mixture screw at the top. This seems to be just right for me. What changes would I need to make to the motor mount to get this arrangment?

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 12:01 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF GOLD EDITION FW 190 D9?

Jim-
Congrats on the Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D-9 allied code "Dora." I can only suggest you install your Bission M\muffler to the excellent O.S. 91 FX and ensure you have the correct thrust alignment as shown on the plan white ALSO finding a 'workable'and clean installation as you seemed to have pretty well planned out. I can absolutly tell you the Dora flys excellent and the 91 FX is a power house in a 61 size engine size. Mann..now here is MY advisement if going retracts GO Spring Air as a matter of fact I think they have a special set for your 190,which are 3/16" struts (very good for that tall undercarriage.) Well I will get outa here cause I did not answer your question. Have Fun!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Bule

I'm agree with RAMCFARLAND,

Did you see this page?

[link]http://www.top-flite.com/reviews/topa0150-rcm.html[/link]

Its a review of the 190, but with the add ons of scale, Custom Spring air retracts (larger than the mass production series), OS .91 fx, Glass finish, custom glass cowling, belly pan, really nice plane (the best german fighter in the WWII), look at the 3 articles reviewed on the top flite site, and you will love that bird!!

Have fun, building it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86412.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	210978  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Fastsky

2 strokes hate to run inverted so don't even bother to try it!! The cowl on the FW is round, not oblong like in other planes so it shouldn't matter which way the engine sits. Just make sure that the engine mount is centered properly and of course you will need to install the T nuts in the right spots for the sideways mounted engine mount. No other changes needed right now that I can think of.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
JIMARRINGTON

Thanks for the feedback. Would rotating the engine mount 90 degrees from where Top Flite shows it work? I emailed Top Flite 2 days ago and they have not answered.

Jim
Old 01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Fastsky

I am only going by other kits that I built, or more recently, planes built from plans that show the original engine being mounted inverted on a round firewall. I have no idea why the original design has the engine inverted when there are obvious disadvantages. The only slight advantage if you can call it that is the opening for the cowl will be on the bottom which is a bit hidden rather than on the side which would stand out more. I simply set up the T nuts so that the engine mount is sideways for the engine. I haven't had any problems and the planes all fly fine. I don't have a FW kit, yet, but I don't see that that it would be any different. A round firewall is a round firewall! Maybe others that have built the kit can share how they mounted the engine. [8D]
Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 AM
JIMARRINGTON

I did get an answer back from Top Flite. They said I could use the nut locations that were on the plans, just rotate the engine mount.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jim
Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

"2 strokes hate to run inverted so don't even bother to try it!! "

Not true at all, properly set up they run fine. I have run 2 strokes inverted for many years and it is just not a big deal. I currently
fly a 91FX inverted in a pattern model- runs great and never misses a beat. I do not use onboard glow, but do use a remote headlock
to make starting safer.

Having said that for this model the side mount & brisson muffler is would be an easy solution if you are nervous about
mounting the engine inverted.

Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Fastsky

Scott, if you have found a way to keep your inverted 2 strokes running while inverted without using a plane mounted glow plug driver, then I must say that this is by far the very rare exception rather than the rule! The oil that flows through the engine for cooling tends to pool in the head of inverted 2 strokes and collects enough to douse the glow plug unless the engine is run at high rpm most of the time to "blow" out the collected oil. I have seen inverted engines at our field quit early during the flight time and time again. The flyers got fed up after a while and found a way to change the position of the engine, provided that the plane hasn't crashed meantime. To suggest to Jim that running 2 strokes inverted won't give him any problems isn't doing him or others reading this any favors! []
Old 01-11-2005, 12:01 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Fastsky-

Not going to debate the obvious with you. Have you noticed that pattern airplanes since the mid
1980's (and earlier) have run inverted 2 strokes with no issues? Back then it was with 60 size, now
1.40 & larger... it just hasn't been a problem.

Scott
Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Wulfman
My Feedback: (5)

I've never had a problem running two strokes inverted.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 PM
IronCross

We run a lot of 2 strokes inverted.... Once set up they run just fine... Looks a lot better on some models too instead of having to cut up the side of a beautiful cowl.... All without onboard glow drivers....