Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

problem building TF P47

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

problem building TF P47

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 AM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem building TF P47

I am currently building the TF P47 .60 size. I have completed the wing except for the sheeting. I could not for the life of me get the dihedral correct. For those of you that have built this you know that you are supposed to be able to set the wing center on a block and then the wing tips with tabs are supposed to reach a certain smaller size of blocks. I was off by 1 1/2 - 2" . Is this going to cause a big problem with fitting to the fuselage and even worse a big problem with flying? I have though of everything(I think) my only option is to purchase a new wing kit.

Any help at all would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2005, 12:17 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: problem building TF P47

I built the red box (older)version of the TF P-47. I ended up tossing the wing and got a foam one from Wing Mfg. I know that doesn't help you in your situation but being off by close to 2" in dihedral is a lot. Check your center ribs and if necessary break them loose from the spars and LE and TE, so they can pivot and align. Then check your outboard tips and adjust them to the right height. Make both sides the same. I built the giant TF P-51 and the Gold edition Corsair and I think both built pretty much the same as your plane. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Also check that the dihedral brace that you insert and runs along the spare has room to slide up and down alittle. I had the same problem and had to sand the brace down so it wasnt as wide, just be careful not to change the angle. Hope that made sense.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Shihtzutan

Hmmm, interesting problem.

I didn't have that problem, but I know there are errors in the instructions. To tell you the truth, I generally toss the instructions early on. All the TF kits go together in a similiar fashion. Try to think of what the engineer was thinking and you'll catch the errors with relative ease as you go along. It sounds like you glued the inboard wing ribs before the trial fit and dihedrial measurement, a 1/16 or 1/8 at the rib junction makes for a wopping big difference at the wing tips! Not all is lost, cut them out and replace them! If you need to make a new rib, use the outline from the die cut sheet. It's tough to actually know exactly where it is that it all went array without seeing it the result, but that's my guess. My technique is to set the in-board wing ribs by blocking the tips and gluing the ribs at the correct right angle (wax paper to keep seperate), but use an incidence meter while sandbaging the center section as you join the wing halves to insure that you don't build in a twist.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
parkerspop
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the help. After I posted I thought about how much I was actually off so I went home and measured. It's actually less than 1". So I am thinking that it will be ok
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 PM
mitchmcf

I am building the P-47 myself and there is a correction to the placement of the brace you can get the new manual on there web site.