Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for way to build a scale tail wheel, need ideas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I'm looking for way to build a scale tail wheel, need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm looking for way to build a scale tail wheel, need ideas

I'm wondering if anyone ever tried building a scale tail wheel. Something that will absorb some shock and look like it belongs there. Current project is the resoration of a Pilot Kit - PT-19, 54" wingspan. The offset wire has to go! Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:11 PM
the-plumber

Default RE: I'm looking for way to build a scale tail wheel, need ideas

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan
The offset wire has to go! Any ideas anyone?
Offset wire ? Eeew !

Methinks you'll have to scratch it up yourself, but I bet you knew that.

The few photos I found didn't show the tail wheel all that well, but it looks to be mostly a yoke fitted with a collar at the fuse.

You may have to prowl the hardware stores looking for the odd gizmo you can bash into the right shape, but it'd probably be just as quick to work over some aluminum strap to make the yoke, fiddle the right size wheel in place, and stuff it in the bottom of the fuse.

I'd suggest some sort of spring loaded tube, to take landing shock.

I wanted a scale tail wheel assembly for an Extra 230, and had to build it. Nothing off-the-shelf was anywhere near right. In the end I spotted a telescoping square aluminum rod, normally used as a sliding patio door lock, where the inner square tube was just the right size. Cut to the right length, mounted sorta the way the 1:1 rig was mounted, and a .60 size Klett tail wheel assembly did the trick.

Here's are not-so-great photos of the 1:1 Extra tail wheel rig and the one I made :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55905.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	212979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87541.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	212980  
Old 01-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Shihtzutan

Thanks for the reply the_plumber,

I've been thinking of using two nylon servo arms, making use of that part of the servo arm that meshes with the servo gear post (I'm thinking of a dowl for the cross piece), but strut post is where the challenge is, an aluminum tube and spring may work but my anguish begins with how to attach it to the dowel in a manner that is strong enough to steer, absorb shock, and not cause it to weigh down the tail. I'm not too worried about the shape of the final prodcut becasue I can overlay the basic structure with a mixture of mircoballons and epoxy to sculpt it into what would resemble the real thing. I still soliciting ideas for a lightweight assembly; any inputs and feedback are welcome. Klett tailwheels are no longer availiable as far as I know.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:39 PM
skylarkmk1

Shihtzutan,

I had the same problem with the same plane (Pilot Kit). Didn't like the the wire tailwheel off the rudder. I mounted Goldberg tailwheel mount in the approximate scale location and connected it to the rudder with 2 small springs and covered the assembly with a boot made from an old leather glove. It may not be exactly scale, but looks a whole lot better than the stock "lets throw a steerable tailwheel on" configuration. If I were to do it again, I would build the tailwheel system in during construction. At the Creve Couer Airport (near St. Louis) there was a PT-19, Ser # N49238, that was parked in the covered open storage area until about 2002. It was damaged during the flood of '93 but is still intact. It has since been moved into a hanger, but doubts exist about whether it can be restored to flying condition without a complete (total/major/extenisve) rebuild. Attached is a picture of the starboard side of the tailwheel and rudder connection showing the free swiveling yoke. I have more pictures of this aircraft if needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87242.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	218706  
Old 01-21-2005, 11:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you bend the wire yourself, you can cut lengths of brass tubing and slip over the wire, the brass pieces are cut to the lengths of the bends in the wire. Once the wire is bent to shape, flatten the brass with pliers, solder the joints and file the detail with a jewelers file or grinding burr on a Dremel tool. The wire gives strength and form, the tubing adds dimension and body.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:23 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Shihtzutan

Thanks for the reply the_plumber,

I've been thinking of using two nylon servo arms, making use of that part of the servo arm that meshes with the servo gear post (I'm thinking of a dowl for the cross piece), but strut post is where the challenge is, an aluminum tube and spring may work but my anguish begins with how to attach it to the dowel in a manner that is strong enough to steer, absorb shock, and not cause it to weigh down the tail. I'm not too worried about the shape of the final prodcut becasue I can overlay the basic structure with a mixture of mircoballons and epoxy to sculpt it into what would resemble the real thing. I still soliciting ideas for a lightweight assembly; any inputs and feedback are welcome. Klett tailwheels are no longer availiable as far as I know.
Klett is alive and well [link=http://www.klettplastics.com/pages/1/index.htm]here.[/link]