Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMP Hellcat

Hi
On the Tower Hobbies web site, they list two sets of Century Jet rotating retracts, one for the P40 and one for the Corsair, which do you use as I can not see any difference between them, yet they have different part numbers.
Thanks Geoff
Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 AM
craigie
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke,

I think that you are unbelievablely talented and your Hellcat and pilot exhibit it. Thank you for all the parts and the information you impart on this thread.
I have not started my Hellcat at this point because I do not have the time, but have bought your parts, followed the thread and will buy the pilot if you make it available.

Thank you
Craig
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

The ones that Tower sells are not correct. The struts are too short. I think that CJM makes a set that would be correct. You will need to order them direct. Send them an email [email protected] The correct part number is 36699.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tower will special order them for you. You may save a couple bucks over ordering them direct, but it could take longer.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Hellcat41

Hi once more most elogant builder . . . Your pilot is great!!!!! Please add my name to your growing list of building members for the pilot figure. Have all the pieces you have made for my Hellcat, except the cockpit, but have aleady sent you an email about that. Just went to a scalemasters qualifier a couple of weeks ago and one of my friends competed with his Jerry Bates 80" Hellcat with Vraciu's markings. Thought it might interest you, so I have attached a couple of pics for you and everyone else. Your diligence is helping so many scale modelers to create a truly scale airplane with some basic rework. Thank you so much. Ernie Card . . . alias Hellcat41
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65056.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	469328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34025.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	469329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73937.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	469330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80147.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	469331  
Old 05-31-2006, 09:55 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Your friends Hellcat looks very nice. It is so nice to see an airplane that is painted with the correct colors and markings. How well did it place as far as static and flight points ?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post and compliments Ernie! I have that same kit, but I do have some problems with it. The canopy and cockpit area is to small, I'll have to fix that on my plane. (Look at the picture below) He has done a great job at detailing it though, I'm going to do Vraciu's markings on mine! I'm doing his last plane #32 though. I've been working on my Hellcat now, but I'm going to wait to post pictures. The details really don't show enough to take a picture.

Everyone back to work!

Dion

P.S. Where did my tail wheel students go?[sm=confused.gif]

Name:	Ge95328.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	469341  
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Hellcat41

Hi Hal . . .

He scored 95.6 in static, and 90 in flight. He finished 5th overall, so he will go to another qualifier in several weeks because they only took the top 3.

Sure have enjoyed the forums on the CMP Hellcat, and yours and Lukes information. Sure hope he has at least one cockpit kit left.

Check six ol buddy . . . Ernie/Hellcat41
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Hellcat41

Hi Luke . . . just wondered if you received the email I sent regarding the cockpit? Really love all the forums on the CMP bird .... Glad you enjoyed the pics. I really liked the one you hadm that showed your tailhook. What did you use to form it? Thanks again ... Ernie/Hellcat41
Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: Hellcat41

Hi Luke . . . just wondered if you received the email I sent regarding the cockpit? Really love all the forums on the CMP bird .... Glad you enjoyed the pics. I really liked the one you hadm that showed your tailhook. What did you use to form it? Thanks again ... Ernie/Hellcat41

Ernie, I just now noticed that you are from Lakewood WA! I used to be your neighbor, I lived in Tacoma for 3 years. I lived in Bellingham for about 15 years. Kind of miss the old place but it does rain a lot! I make my tail-hooks with aluminum tube and the hook part is just balsa block cut to shape and sanded. I'll get back to your e-mail in a bit!

Dion

Old 05-31-2006, 07:49 PM
Chilipecker
My Feedback: (37)

LUKE!

You've been busy I see... The pilot looks great! I keep checking when I can to see your progress.

I've got the hinges made from your drawings (SWEET!) and I've got the PC board cut for the tail-wheel. I too had trouble making holes in the metal sheet but I saw your post explaining how to do it.

Sadly, The boss lady stopped me in my tracks to remodel 2 bath rooms, and now the house is swarming with out of town relatives. If I wasn't married, I'd be knee deep in finished planes! I know Hal can sympathize with me......

Keep on trucking, and put me down for a pilot and the back bulkhead. I'll catch up with you when the relatives clear out.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 PM
sbaugz

I am busy working on my hellcat and ran into some problems. Maybe one of you can help out. Unlike alot of you here, I am not going all out scale on mine.
I was getting ready to paint and mount my servo covers (the little plastic covers that go over the aileron servos in the wing). Anyways, I kind of screwed them both up and cracked them. I am wondering if anyone here has a set they don't want that they would consider sending my way. I would pay you of course. I notice that alot of people here are mounting the servos inside wing, so maybe someone has a set that they don't want or won't be using. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Dave trimmer

When I screw on My fiberglass nose cone Will it crack or would it be best to pre drill.

Thanks, Dave Trimmer

Also I like the work you've done and has inspired me to work harder on My Hellcat.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 PM
dionysusbacchus

Great to have you check in CP and thanks for the compliments! I'll concentrate on parts after I paint this thing, I'm getting very close! Sounds like your getting some work done anyway, like to see some pictures!

sbaugz, build your Hellcat the way you want, we like them all. I trashed all of the parts I didn't need, sorry!

Dave, pre drill the cowl, it will probably crack if you don't.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

OK, I know I said I was not going to post another how-to but I just could not resist! I have a few things I’d like to share in this post.

First one is cowl attachment with no screws showing. You might say big deal, right? Lol My system has just 2 cap screws that have to be installed and even if they came loose the cowl would probably hold on the entire flight! I cheated a bit, I saw what BVM was selling and used his hatch hooks idea, or a form of it... with a twist of course! I like 50’s stuff so I’m calling it the twist-O-matic cowl retainer! The cowl goes on quite easily, just slide it on slightly off center and twist as you push it to the firewall and it locks on. To add the blind nuts on the bottom I cheated a bit. Not wanting to try and stick them in from the back I just cut slots and installed a piece of 1/8” ply with a blind nut already installed.

Hal and I are using the Brisson muffler, fits nicely in the cowl but it does need a spacer to clear the engine mount. I machined one out of 3/16” aluminum and that gives plenty of clearance.

Dion

Name:	Pn37049.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	469720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23149.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	469721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33173.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	469722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18182.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	469723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33609.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	469724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo92024.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	469725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np17672.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	469726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu69203.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	469727  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw38842.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	469728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56828.gif
Views:	20
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	469729  
Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 PM
darren763
My Feedback: (117)

Dion,

You are a great teacher, you should write a how to book. I wish I was building one after all that you have taught. Still might have too........hmmmmmm...........

On your circuit board how thick of copper matter? That guy sell a lot of different stuff.

I like your new dremmel sander...hehe (the 91 OS)

Later buddy,

Darren
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
HE-162

Dion is my dad! I get to see his hellcat being built![sm=RAINFRO.gif] It's awesome seeing it come together.

HE was here
Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Off the table and back to a bit of Flying information. I have a Saito 1.20 in my Hellcat, and was flying it with a 15X8 APC. Seemed to work well but was a bit hard to slow for landing with the high pitch. Tryed a Graupner three blade 14X7 and it works great. Engine seems to be happier and the plane performs about the same. As an added bonus, it makes a very nice prop noise on fly-by that gives the plane a more scale sound.

Name:	Rp44434.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	470415  
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 AM
dionysusbacchus

Todd, bet that does sound good. You never did get a new canopy, I have some scratch and dent ones if you want one for cheap, let me know. By the way what did you say your Hellcats weight was and did it need nose weight to balance. The 120 four stroke is much heavier than my .91 2 stroke, so I am anticipating nose weight. With all equipment installed including the cockpit kit, pilot, everything my plane weighs 10 lbs 10oz, before paint. I'm sure this will climb when I try to balance it, we'll see!

I would like to introduce my boy Patrick to the forums (HE-162)! He is 11 years old and flying a trainer now. I'm going to try and get him involved in RCU so that he can work on his typing, right now he's at about 10 to 15 words a minute. He's a big help already, he'll look at my plane and go, "that's not right"! lol! Telling me things are crooked or something, he also likes it when I make a mistake, gets a big kick out of that!

Another tip on the cowl attachment hooks, they would work great on a round cowl like the Corsair. You could use 3 hooks and just one screw in that case. I could actually use only one screw on the Hellcat but it was not a problem to add some redundancy.

Dion

Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I got my canopy, but I didn't have a photo with the three blade prop. I'd have to say my plane is about 12lbs, so it sounds like your doing pretty good so far. Maybe your scale masterpiece won't be a lead sled after all!

Name:	Ig13793.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	470449  
Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Oh, forgot to mention that I did not need any nose weight to balance the plane. Even though your 2-stroke is lighter, it has a bit more forward weight bias than the four stroke. You might get by without adding too much weight since you were thinking about it from the start.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

HE-162 (Patrick), Welcome to the world of RCU and radio control. One thing I can say for sure is you have the best teacher around to learn from!!
I'm trying to get your dad to come up to Birmingham to come fly with us at our club and you are welcome to come too.
Luke , we are having a warbird fly-in sometime in August( I'll have to check for the exact date) so if you can make it, please mark your calander and bring Patrick and come join us for a day of warbirds and good 'ol southern fried fun!! check out www.birminghamrc.net
OR www.birminghamrcclub.org for the schedule of events.
Later,
John
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
HE-162

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

HE-162 (Patrick), Welcome to the world of RCU and radio control. One thing I can say for sure is you have the best teacher around to learn from!!
I'm trying to get your dad to come up to Birmingham to come fly with us at our club and you are welcome to come too.
Luke , we are having a warbird fly-in sometime in August( I'll have to check for the exact date) so if you can make it, please mark your calander and bring Patrick and come join us for a day of warbirds and good 'ol southern fried fun!! check out www.birminghamrc.net
OR birminghamrcclub.org for the schedule of events.
Later,
John
Thank you Mr. John! I'll try to get my dad to go, that sounds like fun. I'm trying to learn some stuff from my dad![sm=lol.gif]

HE was here
Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Chilipecker

I would like to introduce my boy Patrick to the forums (HE-162)! He is 11 years old and flying a trainer now. I'm going to try and get him involved in RCU so that he can work on his typing, right now he's at about 10 to 15 words a minute. He's a big help already, he'll look at my plane and go, "that's not right"! lol! Telling me things are crooked or something, he also likes it when I make a mistake, gets a big kick out of that!

HI, PATRICK! Glad to have you with us. I like your RCU name....I used to have a Salamander, but it was a lizard, not a fighter jet.

Hope you'll get your Dad to post some photos of you so we can see you in action. I know you have to stay busy to keep an eye on ever thing your Dad is working on.

Have a good summer!

C.P.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Glorystomper

Looks like I haven't missed much during my time away from RCU.. Luke's STILL the ninja he always was

I dig the Hellcat! Wow!

Hey Patrick, better be watch out for some competition cos I've been trying to get yer pops to adopt me ever since he got me hooked here on RCU
Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
dionysusbacchus

John,
I’ll be there! Finally get a chance to do some flying with you and the Birmingham gang!

Wil!!! Nice to see you on the boards again! Wow! I’ll chat with you later!

For those that want a more scale gear door retainer you can use PC board. I’m using the CJ gear so the struts are ½”. Drill 4 holes in your PC board with enough around the sides to work with. I used a template for the top and bottom door retainers, mark them off and sand the PC board parts down with a disk sander. Remove your struts from the gear and measure as shown from the top of the scissors. For the bottom retainer measure 5/8” up and for the top one measure 2 5/16” up. They will be a tight fit so no glue or anything is needed, also the paint will help to hold them in place. Glue the doors on with thin CA and dash the wet glue with some Micro-Balloons. If the doors ever need to be replaced I’ll just pop it off and glue on another one. Mask and primer, then paint!

Dion

Name:	Ge94229.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	471636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16148.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	471637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51507.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	471638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46450.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	471639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12455.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	471640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48357.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	471641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df75344.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	471642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc97706.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	471643  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On95316.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	471644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa23002.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	471645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy99927.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	471646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al52204.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	471647  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.