Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

A landing gear story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

A landing gear story

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
samsrc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A landing gear story

I know that many people on RCU slander a lot of the hobby suppliers out there, and I always thought to myself that it wasn’t the classiest way of dealing with the situation. Yet I have to admit, that at times, the business practices in which some suppliers use, makes one wonder. Since I don’t believe in openly slandering anyone, I still feel that modelers who are about to deal with suppliers, should be aware of the possible problems they may encounter with certain companies. I’m not going to mention names, but only detail the situation. If anyone wants to know names, then they will have to email me direct.
I’m in the midst of building a 1/5 scale Ziroli P-47 and I have a detailed build going on in two different spots. On my web site http://www.samsrc.com/Zirolip47.htm
and on a separate thread here on RCU
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...tm.htm#2371788

Back in late July, early August 2004, I had ordered gear from a leading manufacturer of landing gears. When I originally spoke to him, I had told him what I needed, and was told that it would take around a month for the gear. I agreed and decided to work on other projects while I wait. In mid September 2004, I called this company, and asked what the status is on the gear. He had told me that he was just about done, and was just waiting on a cylinder, in order to ship them to me. He said that he should be shipping them out by the end of the week. I said great! The week went by; I figured another week for shipping, and another week for good measure. It is now early October 2004. I call back again, and ask if he had shipped the gear. He said that he still hadn’t got around to it, and that he would be shipping them by the end of the week. I know how things can be, so I said “no problem”, and decided to wait a week for him, a week to ship, and a week for good measure. It’s now early November 2004. I call back…Guess what the story was?? You got it…Still haven’t been able to get to them. My frustration gets worse, but I remain patient. I figure to work around the gear for now. I call back in mid November…Same story…I call a few more times, again, the same story…Eventually in late November, early December 2004 I have pretty well had it…So I call with the attitude that I no longer want the gear. But before I can get much further, he immediately says to me that he shipped them out last week. So I figure to myself, I’ve waited this long, I can wait a little longer. So I calm down, and say ok great. Since it was Christmas, I figured it would take a little longer than usual, so I was little more patient. I needed a few other supplies, so I also ordered things from about 4 other hobby suppliers. Christmas comes, and everything I had ordered arrives…except the gear! I was furious! Jan 3, 2005 (6 months after I had originally ordered the gear) I call, ready to freak! But I remained calm, and simply asked what the tracking number is. He said that he didn’t have it, but would get back to me in a day. A day goes by, 2 days go by, 3 days go by, a week goes by still no phone call. I try calling him now, and no one is answering the phone, I tried for 2 days straight, 4 to 5 times a day but all I ever got was his answering machine. Eventually, I left a stern message, saying that I no longer want the gear, and how upset I was at the way I’ve been treated! I then wait yet another few days, assuming that he may call to try and rectify the situation. He has never called me back, nor has the gear arrived. (You’d think after hearing the message he would try to at least call, and rectify the situation)
Today, I called another supplier of gear, that assured me they would be shipped today (I have the utmost confidence that they will)
In the end…It really amazes me how certain people do business. For the most part, probably 99% of the suppliers out there are top notch, and great people to deal with, but that 1% can really ruin it for the rest.
Any way, that is my rant, and I will say no more.

Sam
Old 01-12-2005, 05:08 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A landing gear story

Samrc, don't even have to guess who you are talking about. I've heard the same stories myself and from others.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:16 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

been there, gone though that. man sorry bout that[]
Old 01-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate,
we all know who you are talking about and he makes a wonderful product, just has no concept of communication skills nor simple respect/common courtesy for those who help to pay his bills - the customer.

I'm really amazed by it as normally US companies are top notch on customer service - unless you get on a ph and get the menu system for an hour them get " We're sorry blah blah" heehehe who out there has had that? Raise your right hand - yeah you down the back lurking get it up . . .

anyway another highly respected model shop who has a lofty name has great service. I was in the US last year on a work trip to our office in NYC, well Long Is to be exact. Anyway I wanted a set of gear for my Giant Scale TF P47. I did an online order on Monday at 1630, got $40 off my order as it was over a certain amount. Wed morning at 0930 sharp the reception rings and say I've got a package for you. Guess what my retracts had arrived. If I had ordered before 1400 on the Monday I would have got them Tuesday.

Now that is service. Bloody with the mobs in this country could emulate that level of satisfaction, let alone compete on price.

cheers
Peter
Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

well, Peter, "we" all may know who he is talking about, but this lonely sole is out to lunch who it is. PLEASE, let me know as I am currently in the process at reviewing and ultimately buying several sets of retracts for the many, many kits I have and want to know who MAY be a potential problem. I saw Robart this past weekend here in Southern Calif at the AMA convention and was fairly impressed at seeing some of their larger retracts in person since I have kits like the Pica 1/5 scale P-40. As a side note, I am currently buidling two, (yes 2) Gold Edition P-40s at the same time - I currently have one set of Robart 615s and am ordering another set along with two sets of Robostruts. I just talked to Darrell at Sierra yesterday to inquire on availability of the new rotating retract and the lengthened strut for my CM Pro Hellcat ARF. Finally, I am ordering a set of Larry Shindin's very nicely done retracts for my Pica 1/5 Spitfire. If one of these is the person(s) in question, I certainly would like to know before funding any of these products....

randy

Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 PM
prop wash

Well,how nice, to be considerate of a person who lied through his teeth for six months.Not just once but many times.You should tell us who this person is and what company he owns or reps for the sake of all those watching these threads.Like politicans,the only thing that they understand is"money" and "votes".Let your fellow modelers in on who is screwing you so we can "vote" to not spend our "money" on these manufacturers who have no concept of "good" business other than to take your "money"!!!!!!!![:@]Tom
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

propwash, bosssman:

I suggest you check Sam's P-47 build thread if you want specifics.

Classic case of a small business with VERY high quality product, but major problems with meeting demands. I assume if/when he expands the business, the product quality will decline.

mt
Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: kram

propwash, bosssman:

I suggest you check Sam's P-47 build thread if you want specifics.

Classic case of a small business with VERY high quality product, but major problems with meeting demands. I assume if/when he expands the business, the product quality will decline.

mt
well, I went back and re-read the RCU building thread and there is ONE mention made of "ordered retracts from Sierra", HOWEVER, no updates as to whether the retracts were or were not received. It is almost common knowledge now about Sierra's rep (ie, the LENGTHY thread on the Corsair rotating retract debacle). I had thought that things had improved at Sierra and its communication such as this that keeps the rest of us up to date on what is going on. I would certainly hope that if there are problems with obtaining advertised products from ANY vendor in a reasonable amount of time, then a thread such as this to include the WHO as well as the other pertinent information be made available. I think the original poster's summation was excellent - I just think that the name of the vendor in question could have been added. Certainly, no "bashing" should have been perceived as only the facts were presented...

randy

Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
prop wash

I totally agree Bossman,these manufacturers read these threads and so do a lot of modelers.I know their product is very good but!!! I watched the thread on the rotating gears and was glad I had not put my money down and waited,"a year maybe",I waited a few weeks for parts for my Robarts and they kept saying that they had already sent them,and didn't.But at least I got them in time to fly on War bird Day in NW IN.If they were honest and told me the truth about the length of time before they are delivered it would not be so bad.Tom
Old 01-13-2005, 09:58 PM
prop wash

Sam,I'm sorry if I got a little testy there,I hope evrything works out OK for you.I wasn't angry at you just the @#$%$#&%$#@ guy. Tom