Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hiding control horns and linkages

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hiding control horns and linkages

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:45 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hiding control horns and linkages

Hey, Im going to start building a ziroli F8F in a few weeks, and wanted to iron out a way to hide all the controls so it doesnt look so much like a model plane.. I think on the rudder and elevators I can hide them by using 4-40 wire and bending 90's on the ends, not sure exactly how to explain, but, basically like the basic aileron wing with a single servo in the center type connection, but Ill be using one servo per elevator half. Same setup on rudder..

But the ailerons Im just not sure how to get the throw, and hide the hookups.. any thoughts? Flaps only have to go one way, so Im thinking if I do a 'push' type connection from the le of the flap it should work..

Thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hiding control horns and linkages

although I have not personally tried these, I have heard/read of great reviews on the RDS system of hiding the linkages. Go to this link http://www.irfmachineworks.com/rds/ for more info....

randy
Old 01-26-2005, 02:02 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the ailerons, use the tube in tube method. The guy building the Composite ARF mustang here in RCU is using the method. It works and is nice and slop free. You might want to use a bit heaver wire than 4-40 on the elevator. I would use something like 1/8 or 5/32 music wire to make an internal horn. That way you can braze or weld a horn to it.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, not familiar with tube in tube. will search
Thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Nancyshobby.com a call, you might be able to get some more information. I took a look at a device a few years ago. There is a manufacturer out there that makes a device that is configured as a sleeved rotating shaft mounted into the trailing edge of the wing (45 degree angle). The shaft has a small L shape bend at the end of it. The end of the shaft fits precisely into a slot in the aileron. As the shaft rotates the aileron is forced up or down. I might try this some day. The design is pretty clever.