Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

OK, the title pretty much asks it all. I did a "house paint" search here and only came up with a few matches, none of them answering my questions.

I am finally ready to apply a tri-color paint job to my 'glassed, electric powered Hanger 9 Corsair ARF. I think it was 'RichardL' who recommended Benjamin (spelling? has he really been jammin?) Moore paints, but I forgot whether or not he specified indoor or outdoor paints. Ideally, the paint should not require thick/ heavy coats, and should spread very evenly in a thin layer. Durability/ resistance to cracking and dings are also important. Fuel proofing won't be necessary on this one, but I do plan to use the left over paint (should be PLENTY) on other fuel powered Corsairs.

Also, is there any special thinner/ airbrush agent that I would benefit by using?

BTW, I will be using a Miller hobby air compressor and air brush kit. I also have a Pashe airbrush, but find the Miller easier to use.

SO, please offer your advice.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

Actually, the best paint to use is Behr exterior latex house paint from Home Depot. This paint is easy to airbrush and has great coverage. Home Depot has a computerized color matching system and does a great job at color matching. I just use straight water as thinner, but some others are using windshield washer fluid.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?

I use the any Exterior latex from Home depot. But I only use the flat latex. I like flat because I put several coats of each color. I sand between every other coat with 1200- 1500 grit sand paper. You can really get a smooth paint job. I always clear coat with a Perfect stain finish. Or lately I have been useing a poly urethane out of a can from Home depot to clear coat it. This plane is all latex and clear coated with polyurethane. The rear half of the plane is fabric also...I also thin with water...30-40%

ty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34542.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	223156  
Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 AM
RWHorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Behr (Bear) flat latex, but I found that by adding Flowtrol to the paint it allows the paint to flow and lay down really nicely. Also add about 20% water and spray at the lowest pressure you ca get away with. Eash paint gun is different.

Good Luck
Old 01-31-2005, 01:25 PM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RW: What is Flowtrol, and where can it be purchased?Thanks.
Happy landings, Tony
Old 01-31-2005, 01:26 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its at home depot also..

Ty
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 PM
RWHorton

You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes orany place they sell paint.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:50 PM
RWHorton

Sorry it conditions latex paint for spraying.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
voyager_663rd

windshield washer fluid.

Read Roy's article? I'd be surprised if you haven't but in any case: Roy Vaillancourt
Old 01-31-2005, 09:44 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Do a search for "latex paint", there is a lot of good info out there.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
CorsairJock

THANKS to ALL that have replied, all my questions have been answered.

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

windshield washer fluid.

Read Roy's article? I'd be surprised if you haven't but in any case: Roy Vaillancourt
GREAT article, I'm going to print it out and keep. Very informative, and again: answered all my questions and more.
Thanks again to everyone, I LOVE THIS SITE!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

Jack,
Chuck here from the MichianaSkyraiders, here his my P-40E and My Hurricane, both painted with Behr brand paints. I didn't use the flotal (sic) contioner but I did use the windsheild wiper solvent as the conditioner. I have tried other brands of latex and nothing can compare the the Behr brand. I'm hooked. See you at the Fly-ins this summer.
Chuck

Name:	Zx72664.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	223614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84321.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	223615  
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
SpitfireMKI

Make sure your wiper fluid is colorless, it will effect the color ! The blue stuff will turn yellow a nice pea green......

I have been using windex clear with good results too.

I have used the behr interior latex flat on my birds.

The only problem I have and still am experiencing is fisheyes. Now it's not from grease or oil on the plane and it's not moisture as I run two traps. I think there is some kind of seperation going on in the mix of flotrol, wiper/windex and the paint, or possibly condensation at the tip of the air gun. Very strange......let it dry and the second coat will get rid of it.

Maybe it's due to using interior flat instead of exterior flat ?

The plane looks fine when done but it does slow you down and annoy the s##t out of you.

S1
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Richard L.

You might want to try exterior flat to see if that's the source of your problem. Also, exterior is more durable than interior.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
SpitfireMKI

You'd be real surprised how rock solid interior becomes after an afternoon in the sun. Durability is not a problem, and like I said, the fisheye will disappear with a second coat. It's not a major problem, just a hinderance.

I'm hoping someone has had the same problem and has found a solution.

In addition, I have noticed that warming the paint and gun before I spray helps a bit and that the fisheyes seem to appear right at the start of spraying. But no real pattern to be able to put a finger on the cause. My best guess is condensation at the spray tip. Once the water dries, it's easily covered with the next coat.

I have used the same paint on 13' span UAV's with no problem at all. The paint is mixed rather crudely, sprayed on without much worry for detail and overspray. I do not recall fisheyes on any of the 30+ I built and others I worked on.

Of course, painting a scale model is on a smaller scale and more emphasis is put into making it look real nice. The UAVs looked real good but not scale quality, although they are in fact scale 'warbirds' serving as we chat....

S1
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Ham639

Jack,
Chuck here from the MichianaSkyraiders, here his my P-40E and My Hurricane, both painted with Behr brand paints. I didn't use the flotal (sic) contioner but I did use the windsheild wiper solvent as the conditioner. I have tried other brands of latex and nothing can compare the the Behr brand. I'm hooked. See you at the Fly-ins this summer.
Chuck
Chuck got the date set for the South Bend WarBird Day yet? I see the Sundowners of Porter/ Wheeler have July 16th.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Richard L.

By the way, Frank Tiano sells a [link=http://www.franktiano.com/COLORCHIP.htm]Color Chip Book[/link] that contains WWII and US 1946-99 color chips. You can just bring a page to Home Depot and have them scan in a color chip, and in about 10 minutes, you have a pint of matching color paint. You can also order [link=http://www.gardco.com/fedcolor_book.html]Federal Standards Color Fan Deck[/link].
Old 02-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Edwin

I've got that book Richard mentioned and have gone to Home Depot and Lowes. This works great, just remember to tell them not to get ANY paint on the book. The guy wanted to brush a dab on the color chip to make sure it matched. I went ballistic and he quickly pulled back. Too expensive and valuable to have someone do that to it. I highly recommend getting one, well worth it.
Edwin
Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 AM
CorsairJock

OK guys, I DO already have the book already. And yes, at around $40 (I forget the exact price), much too valuable to have anything happen to it. This book is a MUST for anyone considering scale warbirds. Nothing lasts forever, so I suggest everyone get one while they can.
I did notice that the colors seem a little darker than pictures and paintings of warbirds indicate. According to Luke, this is because the paints became a little washed out from exposure to Sun and elements. Thus, he applies a very thinned out white wash on top of his true scale colors.
I'll be making the trip to Home Depot this coming Sunday (Feb 6), and hope to apply 1st coats the following day.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:15 AM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

OK guys, I DO already have the book already. And yes, at around $40 (I forget the exact price), much too valuable to have anything happen to it. This book is a MUST for anyone considering scale warbirds. Nothing lasts forever, so I suggest everyone get one while they can.
I did notice that the colors seem a little darker than pictures and paintings of warbirds indicate. According to Luke, this is because the paints became a little washed out from exposure to Sun and elements. Thus, he applies a very thinned out white wash on top of his true scale colors.
I'll be making the trip to Home Depot this coming Sunday (Feb 6), and hope to apply 1st coats the following day.
I can see the benefits to having this book but at $40 ($50 canuck buck) it is on the pricey side. As an alternative, you know the FS # for the paint you want to use (or can find it easily enough).

Go to LHS and just buy a bottle (at a buck or so) of the correct paint (Testors, MM, Humbrol, etc all put the FS# on their product--there are also publications that list the equivalent product from other manufacturers for example olive drab from tamiya is xf62, from Humbrol 66 and Testors is 1711). Then just brush/spray some on a piece of paper, wood, etc and take that to the paint store for computer match.

Isn't that a way to go? Plus, you have the paint left over to paint the Tamiya model you bought so that you get get all the scale details correct at the same time.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
CorsairJock

Just an update:

Thanks so much for all of the terrific advice. I air-brushed (with my trusty old Miller airbrush outfit) custom mixed Behr exterior semi-gloss, thinned with windshield washer and Floetrol mix.

Here is the result, winner of 2005 Terre Haute, Indiana THRCC 15th annual Warbird Fly-In "BEST FINISH" plaque.

Thanks again,.................Jim

Name:	Wu60505.gif
Views:	112
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	286637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78825.gif
Views:	114
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	286638  
Old 06-18-2005, 01:44 PM
voyager_663rd

Congrats CJ. Looks fantastic.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:45 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

fisheyes,
While i have not sprayed latex i have spayed many other typs of paints over the years and when painting restored cars years ago after sanding the primer with siloncarbide wet/dry paper fisheyes were are problem for everyone and there was an additive to be used to eliminate them,unfortunately that was with enamels/laquers and i do not rememmber what it was called.the othe possibility is a lack of filter/water/oil seperator in your air line.this will keep oil/water out of your air hose even on humid days and prevent them from messing up your project.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 AM
flyn2high

Fisheyes

I had the same problem with fisheyes when I painted my Balsa USA Stearman. I used Benjamin moore paint from Ace Hardware. I thought it was great that they could mix it to a fed standard number without matching it to a color chip. In any case I got a terrible case of fisheyes. The more paint I used the worse it got. The wings are chrome yellow and I used white base coat first because the yellow doesn't cover too well so there was lots of paint on it. Roy Vaillancourt is in my club and I asked him about it. He gave me some good advice to use a piece of clear glass and clean it with alcohol then see if I still get fisheyes on it. It was the same so I first tried eliminating the flotrol, At the end I found that I was still getting fisheyes with just paint smeared on the glass when it was thinned with distilled water. To make a long story short I ran out of paint and Ace could not reproduce the color for again some reason. I went to Home Depot and had them match it to my BM paint. I had to wait two weeks for it to dry and then sanded down the wing. The Behr premium exterior latex enamel went on beautiful. Absolutely no fisheyes and nice coverage. I used flotrol and water. My thought on windshield wiper fluid is that the flotrol will slow the drying time down and the wiper fluid will speed it up. I use a heat gun to accelerate the drying time if necessary and no wiper fluid.

The top coat was with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (semi-gloss) with no reduction after it dried for a month. The minerial based clear coat will affect the base coat if it is not completey dry. It is UV rated and give a nice hard but still flexable finishe that is designed for boats.

I flew it for the first time a few weeks ago. You can see a video at: [link=http://liarsrc.com/video2/Flight%20of%20the%20Stearman%20(Web).wmv]Flight of the Stearman[/link]

Lou
Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested in painting with latex..
But on a jet with gloss colors.. does gloss work well? and look glossy
thank you
Ronnie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.