Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 P-40 Warhawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Ford34tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used Hanger 9 P40 about two years ago from a fellow club member. It has an OS91 4Stoke for power and a really cool Kelough exhaust. I removes the aft servos and moved them to the more usual spot in the center of the plane. I also had severe nose-over problems on take off and landing. They both got much better when I moved the CG aft to 3.5 inches. The plane flys great with much improved ground handling. I have 4 Hanger 9 warbirds and believe that Hanger 9 made a mistake on this plane when they called for a CG of 3 inches.

In the two years that I have had the plane, I have had nothing but problems with the retracts. I do not like the additional weight and complications of air retracts so I have been waiting for a good set of electrics. I have followed an ongoing forum on Wingspan retracts for this plane and have very reluctantly installed them in place of the originals. They are not very powerful and may have excessive slop in them. The plane is ready to fly, just waiting for some good weather.

Whatever you do with this plane, do yourself a favor and move your CG back to 3.5 inches. You will be glad that you did.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine flys great at about 3 1/4 I also installed LADO electrics there a little bit pricey but they work great and are screw in replacements for the stock gear,its been quite a while since I have flown mine but its a great little plane
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Ford,

Yes the retracts are pretty bad on this model...After restoring mine after 3 months of it being in a bean field and full of mice...I had added some very thin plywood sheeting to the elevator and rudder control surfaces to beef them up which of course made me have to add some weight to the nose section...All in all it balanced just fine at the 3 inch mark with the retracts up in the wing....I agree that it is touchy on the take off run but I have finally got use to flying it off of the runway lifting the back end up and holding it in place till the model get's up to speed...I have an O.S. 75 A.X. in mine pushing a 14 x 6 Top Flight Power Point prop on it........It glides forever on the landing approach but if I do get it on the paved runway and pull the elevator back it is ok...Yes, if it goes in the grass it does tip over...
I might try moving it back to 3 and 1/4 inches..It could stand a reduction in weight.....Don't have any answers at this point about the retract problem....Not much area to mount anything in there that is heavy duty.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P-40 in the Bean Field 2 months.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1937076   Click image for larger version

Name:	P-40 side view.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	1937077  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Ford34tom

Does anybody in the states sell the Lado retracts or do you have to buy them from France?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
BOLT

when they discontinued a few years ago this model I sent Horizon about 5 or 6 emails reading "BRING BACK THE P-40" Up to this day, no replies, I know I'm that naive.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM
bigtim

Originally Posted by Ford34tom
Does anybody in the states sell the Lado retracts or do you have to buy them from France?
Magnum RC used to be the US rep but they gave up selling them I think now you have to buy them from the French Company the one thing I like about them is there well built and were a easy install I posted photos of mine way back in this thread I also made balsa wheel wells to replace the plastic units.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:10 AM
Old Erkki

Default Still going strong

Greetings from Finland
Just sake of curiosity. Is there still these splendid planes in flying condition? I just had couple of flights today and she flies as well as first time.

I have crashed her at least three times twice for stupidity and once with radio failure.

She looks little sorry for herself now after repairs. I am wondering if I should restore her once more.

Old Erkki
Old 09-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Old Erkki

Default And the picture

Old 09-09-2021, 05:37 PM
bigtim

looking pretty good for a old war weary bird
they fly really well I am currently working on a H-9 Mustang converting a D model to a C Malcolm Hood version and some structural upgrades