Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite Corsair engine size??????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top-Flite Corsair engine size??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:21 PM
fokkerflier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-Flite Corsair engine size??????

I am about 2/3 finished with my T-F Corsair and starting to wonder if my .91 Mag. 2 stroke is going to be enough to make it fly like it should. The reason I am having doubts is----Sunday I test flew a flying buddy of mines' just finished, T-F Sea Fury. It is supposed to weigh in at 10-12 lb. His came in at 11.2 lb. It is supposed to fly on a .61-.91 2 stroke. He has a 1.5 C.I gas engine on it turning a 15X10 master airscrew at 7,450 rpm. It took about 180 to 200 ft. to get off the ground, the flight was VERY smooth and graceful, but it had no extra power at all. It flew quite a bit slower than scale and wouldn't even loop from level flight. The stall speed was a lot slower than I expected from a plane with this wing loading, and when it did it just dropped the left wing and fell nose down. An application of power and it was flying again. It didn't have any bad snap problems with full elevator throw. Landing was uneventful and smooth, as long as the speed was kept up. This plane you fly all the way to the touchdown.
However------these are warbirds and should fly with authority, not fun fly or 3D, but nevertheless plenty of get up and go. The corsair is a similar size plane with similar weights and loadings,and I want mine to fly with power to spare. This is the first time in 20 or so years of flying I have had any doubts of my judgment on the power for a plane.
Anyone have any experience with this combination?

Wes
Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Spad_man
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Top-Flite Corsair engine size??????

I would check the scale and see what the plane weight is. 1.5 ci is alot of engine for a 12 lbs bird.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew my first TF Gold F4U on an old Saito 1.2 and a Master Airscrew 16x6 and 15x8 prop.

Performance was great and the sound was fantastic.

Knowing what I do of the YS engines since then, I will be using either a YS91 or YS110 on my new Gold TF F4U.

You will be happy with any of the above combos.

But I think the best of the bunch would be the YS110.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spad_man

1.5 ci is alot of engine for a 12 lbs bird.
1.5 ci "gas" engine is not a lot for a 12 lb warbird since a gas engine puts out less power than the equivalent glow engine.

My TF F4U will get a YS 110FZ four stroke.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

you might take a look at the super tiger 2300. not a typical choice but my chinese 2300 runs great- turns an apc 16-8 about 9200 rpm on the ground here in buckeye land. it weighs about 30 ounces without a muffler which is the same as a saito 150. i expect it will turn an apc 15-8 about 10,300 or more - i have the prop but haven't tried it yet. but i have tried a zinger 15-8 wood prop and that is what the 2300 turned the zinger. i am running a slimline large volume pitts style muffler- which sounds great. i did find that i needed to squeeze the muffler tubes down about 1/2 closed to get enough back pressure to get good fuel flow control at full throttle. i have flown my top flite 63 inch p-47 with this engine in it and this is a GREAT match. i used to have the st g90 in this plane and the 2300 is easily the best match for this relatively heavy plane. i hear that some have run the 2300 with a lower diameter high pitch prop (apc 14-10 or 14-12) with success, but i haven't tried this. i think for my reflexes i will stick with the 16-8 because this plane is plenty fast for me - and the guys at my field joke that i never use the throttle- i usually fly my 60 size warbirds full throttle from takeoff until i slow down for my landing.

this is the chinese 2300 - i have never tried the italian 2300 - i understand that the carb was redone before they released the chinese version.

good luck

ed
Old 06-15-2005, 05:50 AM
fokkerflier
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys--------

Wes
Old 06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
kluivertfan2

I was also thinking about placing a 2300 witrh a topflite corsair. I had heard though that it was gas, instead of glow and would require electronic ignition systems that would cost a bit, is this true?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:36 PM
kluivertfan2

never mind, I got my answer.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM
RWHorton

Fokkerflyer I fly the P-47 and 190d-9 TF kits both weigh about 11.5 lbs all decked out, Both have YS 1.2 four bangers. They YS 1.2 turnes a APC 16x8 around the 9,000 mark. Plenty of power for take off and nice climbe outs. So what ever engine use chose if it will turn a 16x8 about 9,000 you'll be verry happy.

Good Luck[8D]
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly my 12 lbs TF P-40 with a YS 110, and the engine flies the plane with authority:

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/take_off.wmv]Take Off[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/high_speed_pass.wmv]High Speed Pass[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/loop.wmv]Loop[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/scale_roll.wmv]Roll[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/wing_over.wmv]Stall Turn[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/inverted_pass.wmv]Inverted Pass[/link]

* [link=http://www.whitetyphoon.com/rc/tf_p40/movies/landing.wmv]Landing[/link]