Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Corsair buffs and historic hunters........

Mike, Rub it in man, rub it in![:@] Build that Royal Corsair! That better not be yours on ebay!

Dion

[/quote]

Nope, not mine. See the Royal Corsair thread for the story. Currently, I'm building a new workbench but when that's done, I want to put the Corsair on the board. I'll be tracing the parts while I build. Hey Dion, did you ever think about making a cowling mold and lay up some in glass? It would be easier to either repair or replace a glass cowling than that nice spun metal job.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:40 AM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DION they started to phase out the BARS on the F4U-1Ds,beginning on BuNo 57583.but I recall a start and stop issue with these canopies too..THIS weekend, I`ll try and come up, with the answers to this ,and your start ,and stop,request, with the bubble bird cage too..DAVE
Old 10-14-2005, 11:56 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the braces were on the early -1Ds, but most of the arly ones were later retro-fitted with the braceless versions. From what I have been able to tell, ALL of the 1945 and later attack carrier based F4U-1Ds were equipped with the braceless versions, to improve pilot visibility. Also, there is a B&W photo of this particular Corsair taking off from the Bunker Hill, and seeming to show a bracless canopy.

Luke: up here in the graet white north, October is a time for preparing for winter (and beer drinking). So many things to get done before winter sets in, so I probably won't get much building done before November. But I promise that the super modified H-9 Corsair with Zollner cockpit kit and birdcage canopy is 1st on my list when November comes, and I WILL be taking pics.

On another note: I am 150 miles from Chicago, lived there some during my youth, and grew up a White Sox fan. I'm gonna bring some cheese and crackers to work today, to share with those who could use it to go along with all that great California whine.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Arthur K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Guys how acurate is the nick Zeroli corsair I have a set of plans for it in origanal and in 1/4 scale I would like to build one in 1/4 scale and go comlete masterpice with it is the Zeroli acurate ???
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Mike Denest

I always enjoy a good California w(h)ine.

"There is no crying in baseball!"
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Arthur K

hey Guys how acurate is the nick Zeroli corsair I have a set of plans for it in origanal and in 1/4 scale I would like to build one in 1/4 scale and go comlete masterpice with it is the Zeroli acurate ???
Can someone else take this question! LOL [sm=bananahead.gif] One sure way to catch hell around here is answer that question truthfully!

Jim, I can't wait for those pictures!

Mike you wine-er, or is that wino?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Mike Denest

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Can someone else take this question! LOL [sm=bananahead.gif] One sure way to catch hell around here is answer that question truthfully!

Jim, I can't wait for those pictures!

Mike you wine-er, or is that wino?
Oh shoot, I'll take the hit The Ziroli is sport scale. Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! Top Flite has gotten away with it for years! If you want a Corsair that is correct, get a set of the Royal plans and enlarge them. Pass me some cheese, will ya?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Arthur K

Ok Zeroli no good by the way Dion I read the other thread on the subject after I post this question and just for kicks come on give it another shot

Now as for the royal plans where the hell do I get a set and are all the formers and ribs on this plan or do I have to get the old drafting table out

and as i was researching for a corsair I found out don smith makes a set for a corsair and it is 1/4 scale now is this one acurate or back to the royal

and Dion you can answer this one it has nothing to do with that Z word
Old 10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
dionysusbacchus

Ok Zeroli no good by the way Dion I read the other thread on the subject after I post this question and just for kicks come on give it another shot

Now as for the royal plans where the hell do I get a set and are all the formers and ribs on this plan or do I have to get the old drafting table out

and as i was researching for a corsair I found out don smith makes a set for a corsair and it is 1/4 scale now is this one acurate or back to the royal

and Dion you can answer this one it has nothing to do with that Z word
Trying to get your kicks? I thought there might be something behind that question!

I can't offer any plans myself, no one around this town knows how to print from a CD, Kinko's tried to do it and no go. skystone01 on ebay can print you a set with a parts sheet I made, and he can make it whatever scale you want. Tell him Luke sent you.

The Don Smith, I have never seen the plan but I have seen some completed models. The Century Jet Corsair is based on this plan as well as the Conachen Corsair. It is a nice plane that I would put behind the Byron/Iron Bay Corsair. I would not use it for a all out scale build though. The wing does not appear to be at the proper +2 degrees, the wing tip angle is wrong. Just by looking at it I'm sure this plane would fail the outline test for accuracy.

I enlarged the Royal plans to 1/6 scale, skystone01 did it for me and they turned out great. The nice thing about the Royal plan is that it was designed using an excellent set of drawings by Paul R. Matt. I compared these drawings with the full scale and they are a perfect match.

Dion
Old 10-14-2005, 11:42 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the Byron/ Iron Bay Corsairs? Are they accurate or not? They are kinda on my wish list, and I already have a set of Robart 150s waiting for a home.

I went to Japan a few years ago, saw a Japanese baseball game on TV, and noticed one of the players crying after his team lost. I blurted out that same Tom Hanks line, right there in the Hotel lobby which was full of Japs.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

What about the Byron/ Iron Bay Corsairs? Are they accurate or not? They are kinda on my wish list, and I already have a set of Robart 150s waiting for a home.
I always liked the looks of the Byron Corsair, it just has a few weird things going on. I don't like the way they did the oil cooler intakes, instead of using the plastic ones you could make your own out of wood. Also the wing tips are to thick and the cowl is wrong, other than that it looks great. I would get one, to many other projects now though. Besides I have to build my 1/6 Royal, might build 2, one for practice and the other scaled out.

Dion
Old 10-15-2005, 07:49 AM
D Bronk

HEY Dion+PETE if you guys are flying this weekend don`t forget to meak some vids of;Pete running from the bombs dropping on him and of ,PETEs Corsair ,chasing down the Mustang in retalliationI`ld like to see your planes in action,and how accurate, DION is,, with his bomb drops.. D.B.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Mike Denest

How about the Brian Taylor Corsair available through Bob Holman? http://www.bhplans.com/bt1.htm
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: Mike Denest

How about the Brian Taylor Corsair available through Bob Holman? http://www.bhplans.com/bt1.htm
Looks like we could use a thread about scale accuracy issues if people are really interested, seems like it. The problem is we get the detractors and bucket heads contributing to the thread, always takes the fun out of it. I REALLY don't like the Brian Taylor Corsair, I think he made his own 3 view so it would match something. The wing doesn't even have the proper dihedral or gull angle, and that's just for starters. Just because a plane has competed in competition does not mean it's accurate, I get that response a lot.

Dave, I'm charging my camcorder now and loading the van, I'll be sure and post some stuff on my site!

Onward and upward, life is good!

Dion
Old 10-15-2005, 09:54 AM
D Bronk

So I CAN LOOK FORWARD ,TO ,A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES THEN, RIGHT ON!!!

"I REALLY don't like the Brian Taylor Corsair, I think he made his own 3 view so it would match something.
"I wonder if I could get away with that, for MY topflite 1:8,maybe a couple of Pics, of the "box stock", GIANT scale, GOLD EDITION,along,with the homemade,drawings and call it ,TRUE TO SCALE ??

I`ll put a "GOODIE" or 2 in here, for this evening too
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

HEY Dion+PETE if you guys are flying this weekend don`t forget to meak some vids of;Pete running from the bombs dropping on him and of ,PETEs Corsair ,chasing down the Mustang in retalliationI`ld like to see your planes in action,and how accurate, DION is,, with his bomb drops.. D.B.

D.B.

Had a lot of fun at the field today with Luke. He brought his Bombs and Bomb drop. WOW is all I can say they look even better in person.

The RCV would not idle reliably no matter what we did to it. Looks like it's coming off and will rework the firewall for a 90 2 stroke.

Photos...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91587.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	339602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78963.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	339603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21121.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	339604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt54006.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	339605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19448.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	339606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28661.jpg
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	339607  
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM
D Bronk

LUKE???ROCKET isn`t that RCV a new engine with only the maiden, done with it ???You can`t give up that quickly on it.It has to be a simple little thing.I`ld borrow you my ,SUPER TIGRE G-90,if you were near by.. I`ve had it new since last January, and ,it still has not seen a drop of fuel yet... Maybe I`ll screw it to the picnic table ,and see,if it will fire . I haven`t done much with my build all summer..I`ve got to be in the MOOD,to work on it,and I won`t put a rush job on it ,just to get things over with,so I can fly...I see you guys have pylons there .That`s another gadget ,I`ve got to make too,along with rockets and,bombs and a u-5 cowl and drop tank and-,and- and-...at least, I`ve got the light system(Frankenstein) 80% worked out..OH well...going to put up the JATO accessory in the morning
Old 10-16-2005, 10:22 AM
dionysusbacchus

Yes, Pete had to post a pic of me. That is a Top Flite .60 size Corsair, Pete should have taken a picture next to me!

I made those pylons, I will offer them to others when I get it all worked out. As far as my 1000lb bomb test went, not to good. The first bomb came off the rack by itself, not sure why, maybe I didn't attach it properly to the Vortac release? Anyway on pass #2 I released the last bomb and it fell nicely, kind of following the plane and then falling off in more of a nose down attitude. Then all of the sudden my plane started to pitch skyward, lots of down trim was needed! Pete was on the runway retrieving the bombs and I needed to land. I noticed that something appeared to be hanging from the tail of my P-51! The runway was cleared and I landed safely. It turns out that the Robart Hingepoints just snapped in two, I have 3 hinges on the rudder and the bottom hinge held on! This is an 8-year-old plane with several hundred flights on it, I stopped counting at 300, but I have never had this happen before. I may have damaged them in transport at some time, but I doubt it. Would exposure to the sun over the years cause them to get brittle?

Back to the bombs, the plastic fins did not hold up to the impact. When they hit they quickly flip over and as they cartwheel down the runway the fins broke off. I'll try some thin ply and see if they can take it. I'll keep you posted.

Pete is doing the right thing not using the RCV engine, we could not get a reliable idle. I want that Corsair to be around a while!

Dion

Below is a picture of how my TF P-51 looked ater landing![8D]

Name:	Bz79206.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	339859  
Old 10-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

LUKE???ROCKET isn`t that RCV a new engine with only the maiden, done with it ???You can`t give up that quickly on it.It has to be a simple little thing.I`ld borrow you my ,SUPER TIGRE G-90,if you were near by.. I`ve had it new since last January, and ,it still has not seen a drop of fuel yet... Maybe I`ll screw it to the picnic table ,and see,if it will fire . I haven`t done much with my build all summer..I`ve got to be in the MOOD,to work on it,and I won`t put a rush job on it ,just to get things over with,so I can fly...I see you guys have pylons there .That`s another gadget ,I`ve got to make too,along with rockets and,bombs and a u-5 cowl and drop tank and-,and- and-...at least, I`ve got the light system(Frankenstein) 80% worked out..OH well...going to put up the JATO accessory in the morning

D.B.

The RCV was purchased new for this project and has over 2 gal of fuel through it. She ran wonderful on the test stand and even now the top end is great. Idle is the problem and Luke dosen't want me to risk the plane with an unreliable engine so who am I to argue did you see how tall he is

Really though I'm pulling the engine and will send it in after I look at the carb closer. We set it at factory then went both lean and rich with it not idling below 1800 then it would just die. She did better with the glow driver left on and placing a new glow plug didn't help much. Transition was always crisp not loading up or dying either. Go figure.

Pete
Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 AM
D Bronk

.I haven`t read your posts , very carefully yet, but will shortly..

HERE`s something, you won`t see many pictures of(short lived).I think it`s something ,I would like to fiddle with though,and make it function on a "BEATER"plane to see what happens[>:][X(],then possibly move it to a scale jobbie.There is a fair amount written about it ,just too much too write about here.So I`ll describe what I`ve got here,and leave the hunt ,to whoever is interested.Just want to open some eyes,and give out, some food, for the hungry minds..

.The photo shows, "white #"091 on-board USS "ALTHAMA",. from CASU-14(carrier aircraft support unit),Pilot is "roll`en the tires, and,light`en the fires"here,with the JATO( jet assisted take-off),doing its` thang...Notice not a bug in sight,and a nifty mix of planes ,in the fog..good thing those planes have, oxygen on-board.Looks like it would be a struggle ,to breath ,otherwise[X(]..The afterburners are mounted, 1 per side ,as shown in the drawings location...I don`t know what kind of thrust these jets produced, but ,I am curious...

Name:	Ki18763.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	339880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83869.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	339881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35362.jpg
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	339882  
Old 10-16-2005, 11:52 AM
alanc

HI GUYS! i have the big96" royal corsair, in the loft, its about time i finished it, all glassed, ready for detail, and paint, but, i dont like the wing attachment, it looks a bit flimsy, anyone know anything about this bird? does it have drawbacks, any modding needed? i bought it framed up, 2 years ago, and would now like to finish it( its about time, eh?) any help deeply apreciated
Old 10-16-2005, 12:00 PM
D Bronk

DION your up to bat on this for Alan.THATS his favorite brand I think,,EH
Old 10-16-2005, 01:31 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Yes, Pete had to post a pic of me. That is a Top Flite .60 size Corsair, Pete should have taken a picture next to me!

I made those pylons, I will offer them to others when I get it all worked out. As far as my 1000lb bomb test went, not to good. The first bomb came off the rack by itself, not sure why, maybe I didn't attach it properly to the Vortac release? Anyway on pass #2 I released the last bomb and it fell nicely, kind of following the plane and then falling off in more of a nose down attitude. Then all of the sudden my plane started to pitch skyward, lots of down trim was needed! Pete was on the runway retrieving the bombs and I needed to land. I noticed that something appeared to be hanging from the tail of my P-51! The runway was cleared and I landed safely. It turns out that the Robart Hingepoints just snapped in two, I have 3 hinges on the rudder and the bottom hinge held on! This is an 8-year-old plane with several hundred flights on it, I stopped counting at 300, but I have never had this happen before. I may have damaged them in transport at some time, but I doubt it. Would exposure to the sun over the years cause them to get brittle?

Back to the bombs, the plastic fins did not hold up to the impact. When they hit they quickly flip over and as they cartwheel down the runway the fins broke off. I'll try some thin ply and see if they can take it. I'll keep you posted.

Pete is doing the right thing not using the RCV engine, we could not get a reliable idle. I want that Corsair to be around a while!

Dion

Below is a picture of how my TF P-51 looked ater landing![8D]
I`ve got to make 8 of those pylons(rocket stubs)probably only make, 2 per side function though the rest with magnets,plus a couple of tank drops..

How did you set your rack on ? HOOK@ front ,CLASP @ rear ?or ???Did you put lead in the bomb? Maybe you could get a better balance if it was moved back a bit..

UV rays(sun) does deteriorate plastic ,but aren`t your hinges hidden from that.I made 2 rudders,1 like on the top flite plans, and one more to scale..Get this, I used the plans rudder to set-up, the hinges in the vert.no glue involved at all. So the hinges, are inside both parts. I`m taking the rudder off, to put that job to the side.Going to leave it, unattached till the paint job is done,so I can paint the parts seperately.Take the rudder off and one of the hinges snap.they were only held in place with a size, on size fit,,with the balsa ,being the weakest material, in the fitting aspect.THE hinge snapped in the narowest point of one of the barbs,,,,(new Robarts).,inspected to see why, and I found what looked like a little bubble in the center of the shaft.It was a real "BIRCH" to get the broken shaft out of the verticle with out buggering the hole ..I ended up useing a drop of thick CA,a stick made of plastic,some kicker to harden it all together, and pulling it out like that..BUT you might want to consider using a drill, a sharpened brass tube,cutting a plug with ,the hinge shaft in it,.Remove the whole works ,and a bit of balsa at the same time.,Then putt, a nice fitting ,piece of balsa doweling back in there again, to start fresh.You can make that dowel with another sharpened tube slightly larger than the removal tool and bang it down a piece of square stock.I know lots of guys` would just try to use a drill and drill bit ,but you know how those darn things like to find, the softest material,and the,easist material to cut through..I guess I`m saying;"OPPS,I slipped ,and made a new hinge hole[&o].I`m pretty sure, you won`t get off as lucky as I was,seeing how your hinges, were bonded in there,and you have quite a few to pieces to "GUT".

Here`s a thought for those fins..How about making them from a sheet of NYLON ..You can plastic weld that material..If you don`t want to buy the welder, take it to an AUTOBODY SHOP..We`ve got one at the shop, I work, out of(when I work[&o]).IT`s an excellant little machine,you feed a rod through and it mechanically welds the parts together,sometimes I don`t even use rod, I just use the parent plastic and melt it back together(plastic bumpers,air dams ,etc.)..I`m only thinking NYLON because it can handle a severe beating. You can use a themostatically controlled soldering iron too..GRAB a nylon hair comb and try to snap that.It`ll bend but ,never snap,again just an idea,but if the lite ply works ,go for it..

.Was PETES engine dying ,@ idle even with the glow driver still hooked up??SOMETIMES those factory installed glow plugs don`t last very long,.With all the "break in", metal crap, flying around from a new engine,those plugs can foul up pretty quick.TRY a new one or even a slightly hotter plug.THOSE little guy`s, can cool down quite a bit ,at an idle,even more if they are fouled a tad,with that microscopic junk ,welding themselves to the filament.AT a higher throttle setting you won`t notice it much,but drop the rpms, and it will run like S4IT,or, not at all..I wouldn`t have put the Corsair up either .THE 15 second flight, would NOT, have been worth the 5 month rebuild..YOU GUYS had a good day though , everything went back home, in nearly the same condition,it went out in,and DION got to do a test, on the bomb drop at least ,and,,,,PETE had to run, for the bomb still..

OH,OH !!!Think I`ve got an idea ,what to do with that broken hinge in the pics ..got to go find ,my tap and die set, now...

Name:	Tr49647.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	339900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36233.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	339901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32331.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	339902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84415.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	339903  
Old 10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
D Bronk

PETE, you definately have to have faith(confidence) in that power plant ,before PUTTING the CORSAIR in the AIR.It sounded so good in your Maiden video..was this to be it`s 2`nd flight only ??Just wondering only...I wouldn`t take a chance ,on a MILL that wasn`t running 100% either,just too much to lose..
Old 10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Arthur K

well boys when lady luck shines on a man she realy shines Today I went to a local swap meet and based on past experience I decided to get a table just so I can get in early and cherry pick the goods before the general public and long and behold what do I find A perfect fully intact untouched Royal Corsair the very same peice of aviation perfection as claimed by our good friend the allways colourfull Nion Dion ( just joking dude in my book if you can back it up then dish it out) So now I have my plan and the parts that I can transfer to make a 1/4 scale musium piece corsair I will also make a set of plansfor a 100" wingspan and will probebly built this size first
Since I am not intersted in Glow engine aircraft the Royal kit will go up for sale After I copy the plans and Scan the 4 decal sheets So this kit should be available next week I have not set the price but I will check into it and post an ad

Name:	Ig12392.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	340003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95642.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	340004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22029.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	340005  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.