Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Kelly, thanks for the compliment, a friend I fly with, Terry Farmer shootsthe pics of my plane. He has a web page dedicated to WARBIRDS. www.wyliewarbirds.com
In his photo gallery most of the pics are his and a few are some I have taken.

Hey Barry, the Grey Corsair is the only one I have had so far. I am starting a new project, The meister 100" Corsair and I hope to do it also in the Quantico 411 Grey theme. Tooooo many blue ones out there I had to bedifferent.

GaryM
Quantico Corsair 411
Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't doing the 5N I would follow your lead. I agree everyone has blue, well almost everyone. I really like yours and didn't you build another one for a friend the same color scheme that he had pictured on Warbirds? With the Meister are you going to hassle with incorporating flaps or just build it per plans? From what Dino and Pat tell me it slows down enough to land it without them very slow.

Barry
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM
tfarmer96

Ok here you go the topflite f4u also known as the quantico 411

http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/video/video.htm

enjoy!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

Barry, Icouldnt build it and not do the flaps. Dino sent me some pics of where they are working on a flap set up but dont have all the bugs worked out just yet. I think I what I will do is look at a set of plans a friend has of the Ziroli and go from there.

Garym
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88256.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1217091  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

I would also love to go but its even a longer drive from here.

GEORGE
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
tfarmer96

Thanks for the complement on the photos....

Come on out to warbirds over the rockies and I will gladly shoot photos of your plane for you. There is a serious lack of representation of navel and marine aircraft at this event. Last year I only counted 2 F4Us. Brian and the guys out in Colorado do it right every year.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
NCIS

Question?

What size and make of gas radial engine would fit and fly my TFGSCorsair. I sold my G-62 so Icould save up to buy a radial. Also has anybody changed from a one piece wing to a three piece using Byron Models C-Chanel and bar method to held the wing on and be able to handle the wing load of the outer wing panel. I want to do it so the fuse can always rest on it's wheels. I will make the connection where the to joining forks come out of the main spar buy cutting them of at the correct dihedral angle and go from their.

Thanks very much for your help,

Barry
www.canopyrailsforwarbirds.com
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
NCIS

Me again,

I know I'm way behind everybody else but was wondering if anybody had the same problem as I am having with the LE and ribs 3 & 4 when building their center section. When I put in the tripler the ribs are to tall by a little over 1/8". Is this meant for the plastic oil cooler to fit or do I need to sand them down once everything is glued in place? So far I haven't glued anything except the LEribs to the Main spar. I guess I'll finsh planking my fuse until I get a responce. Thanks!

Barry
Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM
at-6 texan

hallo guys!. you can tell me how much and the tow these engines, as how weight? thanks
please by in Kg not in ibs.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: at-6 texan
hallo guys!. you can tell me how much and the tow these engines, as how weight? thanks
please by in Kg not in ibs.
This engine - RCS 150 - cost $3.325 thats 2.397 Euros. can you affort that?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
cdohaney

Hi guys,

Been real busy and not much time to put into my bird, I've been flying and breaking in my new Extreme Flight YAK!. I've run up the engine and have her balanced. Everything works great and I'm ready to maiden her but I have a concern. I have two NiMH6 volt packs 2650maH that seem to drop their voltage quickly. For example, today I checked one of the packs and it read 3.8 volts. I put it on my Triton charger and after about 10 minutes it was charged. The display said it only put in 450 ma during the charge. I check it now with my voltmeter and sure enough it says that its now at 6.7 volts. Is this OK or is something strange going on here. Is it a bad pack?

Chris
Corsair Brotherhood #38
Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
tfarmer96

At the waco texas event

Name:	Fd93266.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1221941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79011.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1221942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz29258.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1221943  
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chris,
    I'm not sure about NiMH packs but if it were me I'd toss them and get two fresh packs, form charge them, and then cylce a few times.  I'd hate to see you lose that bird because of a $25 battery pack!
Sam
Old 06-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: cdohaney

Hi guys,

Been real busy and not much time to put into my bird, I've been flying and breaking in my new Extreme Flight YAK!. I've run up the engine and have her balanced. Everything works great and I'm ready to maiden her but I have a concern. I have two NiMH6 volt packs 2650maH that seem to drop their voltage quickly. For example, today I checked one of the packs and it read 3.8 volts. I put it on my Triton charger and after about 10 minutes it was charged. The display said it only put in 450 ma during the charge. I check it now with my voltmeter and sure enough it says that its now at 6.7 volts. Is this OK or is something strange going on here. Is it a bad pack?

Chris
Corsair Brotherhood #38
Chris,

I don't remember what radio system you're using, but if it's Spektrum/JR where adequate voltage is a real concern (all systems really but these are more sensitive) you need to gather some more information.

The chemistry on the NiMH packs was change awile ago due to environmental concerns and now causes lots of problems for peak detecting chargers. Basically they detect a false peak and shut down especially if the charge rate is too high. The other issue is that since these cells are actually produced for small electronic devices where a high discharge rate(amps) is not required, can be constructed such that there is a lot of internal resistance or impedence. While not all NiMH cells have this issue, you have to pay attention to the specs on the cells for continous and burst discharge rates if cell impedence numbers are not available. The higher the mah rating of the pack, the more of an issue this becomes and the slower they should be charged i.e. 1/10C max charge rate.

Check out these FAQ's for more information;

http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

You may recognize the name of the gentleman who runs the second site as he's pretty well known in RC circles and writes the batteries column for the AMA mag.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
NCIS

Ihave a question above about the ribs and center section but Iguess nobody wants to help. Come on guys were supposed to be brothers aren't we.

Barry
Corsair Brotherhood #4
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
DaddySam

Barry,
   Why don't you post a pic of the mismatch so we can see if it rings a bell with us.  I do recall either sanding some part down or building some part up, but it's been years ago I can't recall the details.
Sam
Old 06-21-2009, 02:58 PM
cdohaney

Thanks guys,

After reading up on the suggested websites I am going to try to cycle the batteries with a slower charge rate and discharge rate. If that doesn't help I'll swap them out.

Barry,

I sanded the pieces to the proper contour before I sheeted the wing. It still has a staircased effect to it but was rounded to shape. The wing sheeting covers all this. I installed the coolers after sheeting and sanding. You have to take out a lot of wood to mount them. I searched for some pics but this is all I could find, hope they help.

Chris
Corsair Brotherhood #38

Name:	Fd91171.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1222009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66012.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1222010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33276.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1222011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32032.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1222012  
Old 06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
NCIS

Thanks Brother!

Barry
Old 06-21-2009, 04:56 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Barry

Have surfed all of my build pic's and could not find anything that would help, but in looking at the plan view of the wing (center of the manual) if you match every thing up as shown and parallel you should not have a problem.
Just remember measure at least twice befor cutting

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Chris

I had a vary simerlar problem earlier this springwith the NiMh batt's, by not following the charge rate more closely and first peek charge conditioning. I tryed to concition when I found the problem and could never get them to recover.
For what it worth I would start over with new packs.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

www.cheapbatterypacks.com   advertises on the site here. I got my last two packs from them.  Great prices and awesome packs I found.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:06 PM
DaddySam

Finally decided I had to get to work on my Corsair.  I'm working on actuating the main gear doors via mini servos, and getting one door to work is easy its that second door that is driving me crazy!  I'm currently trying to cut some servo wheels into different shapes to see if I can figure out the correct geometry.  Mike, I know you did your doors with servos any tips?  
I've also decided to just get my Corsair done in the primer and fly it.  If (how can there be doubt?) it flies well and survives the maiden then I'll work on detailing it later.  I just HAVE to see it fly! 
I'll post my progress  as I'm able.  Heading off camping for the rest of the week.
Sam
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm looking thru my disks to see if I have any photos to help as well Barry........
Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Heya Sam.

Probably the biggest thing to overcome is the pushrods to the horn I thought when doing mine.  I don't think it was near the fiddling doing a manual setup would have been for me.  I just used the BVM hinges with the horn on them and used longer arms on the servos with the pushrods all the way out at the end of them I think.  I have yet to connect the door servos to the rx and test them out honestly, so I'm sure I have more fussing ahead of me on setting travels and things like that.  Mine have to travel about as far as my doors will open to get the wheels out and still clear them on the way back in.  They do seem to work well just working the doors manually thru the servo travel though....so I should get snapping on my wiring and connections.  It seems like I should be able to dial them right in for travel from the TX to get it right.  Have been totally focused on getting my 109 in the air and chasing gremlins out of that at present.  Good luck and have fun.  I know the laser beam focus is necessary to get one in the air.

M.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
dgrantham

Chris,

About those batteries. THROW THEM AWAY! Go with a good NiCad, or LiFe like the A123.

It's never a good idea to fly a battery you are not 100% confident in.

David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.