Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Asanders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Thanks Craig, I really do appreciate this!. email sent
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: craigcrumpler

i have the plans you need, shoot me an address and its on the way. [email protected] warbird paint no longer has corsair blue, anyone have another source. craig

http://www.klasskote.com/military_colors

I've never used, it but here is another option.

This one was painted with Klass Kote
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32426.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	1785940  
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
craigcrumpler
My Feedback: (20)

lets see if we can bury this hatchet kelley
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Whistling Death

i have the plans you need, shoot me an address and its on the way. [email protected] warbird paint no longer has corsair blue, anyone have another source. craig
You can always take a sample to home depot and get a computer match.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Buckmeister

I got a really great cockpit form Dino DiGeorgio. He get's them from overseas: E-mail him [email protected]
Hegot one that fits the Top Flight GS Corsair. He may be able to offer a link to see what they look like.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Thunderbolt47

lets see if we can bury this hatchet kelley

Graig, I have no hatchet to bury with you. I will call you tommorow and we can discuss everything. off line. I believe it can all be worked out.

Kelly

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM
craigcrumpler

got a quart from lowes today, color was really pretty, it was latex, boy do i have a lot of sanding to do
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

hi all! yeah, I'm the guy that originally started this thread and had NO idea at the time how large and in depth this thread would grow. Like many, I jumped in and quickly framed up the majority of my Corsair, however, as happens to many of us, life's problems got to the point of being overwhelming. Long story short - I sold my nearly completed Corsair and eventually had to file chapter 11 bankruptcy along with the loss of my house I had lived in for over 13 years. At any rate, one door closes, a new door opens with the opportunity to turn things around. I still have two COMPLETE TF GS Corsair kits and still love building rather than "ARFing". I will be getting started (again) shortly and with the information contained in the thousands of posts, I see NO problem with breezing through the build. I like taking pictures and will upload as many as I can. Even though this thread is over 7 years old, I will attempt to honor what has been done by so MANY of you with your builds.....

randy

p.s. Bob, sorry to hear of your illness. You, above all, have been a driving force in keeping this thread on the first or second page of the Warbirds Forum. Cheers to Bob!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear things are turning around for you!

Scott
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Randy

Thanks for the well wishes,, and I am dealing with it one day at a time.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

hi guyswill be builing this winter an will make a atempt to build with the same idea as the arf mike barbee will be coaching me   want to put the flap set up like the 60 tf arf i have want to put on the robart electric retracks an 55 dle ra ill have pics an updates  hope the best to all
Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Chandley

Good luck with your build, and hope to see lots of pic's

Cheere Bob t
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi randy,
Am glad to see you back in the thread, and happy to hear you turned it around,good luck with your build and hope to hear from you soon and you know the drill LOTS OF PICTURES.

CHANDLEY, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD AND LIKE BOBSAYS POST LOTS OF PICS.

GEORGE
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Just a quick update on my Corsair. We maidened it today and other than a sluggish lift off it flew fine. It had the Corsair waggle. We lost the Corsair on one of the landing attempts - the classic tip stall when banking for another go around without having gained enough flying speed..... At any rate, I've lost interest in this bird and will be parting out my Zenoah G-62/Keleo Exhaust setup, and maybe the retracts too. This has been a fun and informative project but after all these years its time to move on. Good luck to all of you with your builds and flights.
Sam
Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Sam,
I'm so sorry to hear about the demise of your Corsair.
We'll be interested in wht you chose to do with your parts.
Best,
Scott
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 AM
craigcrumpler

i am interested in the exhaust, craig
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

Just a quick update on my Corsair. We maidened it today and other than a sluggish lift off it flew fine. It had the Corsair waggle. We lost the Corsair on one of the landing attempts - the classic tip stall when banking for another go around without having gained enough flying speed..... At any rate, I've lost interest in this bird and will be parting out my Zenoah G-62/Keleo Exhaust setup, and maybe the retracts too. This has been a fun and informative project but after all these years its time to move on. Good luck to all of you with your builds and flights.
Sam

ugh. That sucks. I have a Spitfire that you know of that didn't even get that far Sam...so I feel the disappointment. I guess it's getting them up that is my problem as I seem to come in to land usually at a speed only slightly slower than what I fly at

Mike
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Sam - I also express sadness over the loss of your Corsair. I was hoping to see it at the Goldendale warbird event.
I believe I purchased a tail wheel setup from you earlier. I feel like a vulture in saying this but if you had one of your custom made ones in this Corsair I'd be interested in purchasing it.
Again - Sorry for your loss.
Galen
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM
saramos

Sam,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Corsair. Please let us know what your next project is. If you are interested, I've received a request for two static projects. Good luck on your next venture.

Scott Ramos
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Dang Sam,

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's amazing that after all these years, the Corsair is STILL plaque with tip stalling - you think someone would have come up with a "fix". Is more washout needed during the build? Were you at full flaps on final approach? Anyone else have any words of wisdom on combatting this deadly trait in the Corsair???

randy
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM
RCPILOT78

Just a thought.................Flying war birds especially the Corsair requires throttle and elevator control. My TF Corsair has been flying for the past 5+ years. I fly it regularly and it has 187 flights to date. It's not without one mishap though. several years ago I to had a similar problem with it but the damage was minor and repairable. I let it get too slow on final and it tip stalled and snapped.

I learned that air speed is essential. First the approach for the landing must begin properly and the speed control has to be right on for a successful landing. War birds cannot be slowed down to land as with a sport fun fly plane they have higher wing loading and tend to stall earlier. My Corsair weighs in at 32 lbs and with a coordinate approach and the proper air speed it lands like a dream every time.

The problem with small and short runways, we have a tendency to slow the plane down to keep it on the runway, that's a disaster waiting to happen slow it down and TIP STALL takes over. Another reminder is avoid trying to do a three point landing with this plane. It requires to slow the plane down too much in a stall attitude and if you are too high when this occurs TIP STALL's the wing touches the ground and a cartwheel takes over and airplane parts start to shed. Wheel landings are the safest and the best.

Hope this helps RCpilot78

Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

I was very fortunate to have an experienced big bird/warbird pilot coach me during my first flights with my Corsair.
I can still hear him "Airspeed, Airspeed, Airspeed!"
The key to flying the Corsair comfortably has always been energy management. Keep up the potential energy (Altitude) or keep up the kinetic energy (Airspeed).
I almost made the mistake when landing my Corsair the first time. I wanted to slow it down more. My coach shouted over my thoughts to keep up the speed and FLY IT TO TOUCH-DOWN. My first landings were without flaps and they were LOOOOONG. Then I learned to drop full flaps during the downwind to final turn and it settled in nicely every time. I have to work the throttle, or dive it to keep up the airspeed but each landing has been a gentle touch and a rollout.
That has worked for me ever since.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I guess I should say that I let my son maiden the plane. He is a good pilot but in retrospect there is a difference between being good and having enough experience to handle a plane like this. He is used to flying smaller planes and 30cc aerobats, and he did not know that he should have let it land, even if it meant rolling into the weeds at the end of the runway, or if going around, kept the wings level and gradually added power until stable flying speed was reached. I'm not saying I wouldn't have made the same mistake if I had been on the sticks, but we'll never know. It may or may not have been a tip stall. It was basically on the ground when he decided to go around again. It either tip stalled or the engine torque rolled the plane to the left when he added full throttle - I'm not sure. It had about a ten minute flight prior to this and flew great.
I want to thank all of you for your kind words and wishes, as well as the incredible amount of information and advice I've received over the years from this forum and especially this thread. I have to say that the tricks I've learned on this thread will definitely be used again, but right now I don't have the desire to spend any more of our breif NW flying season in the workshop. I've had a couple inquiries on the tailwheel and exhaust and I'll think about it for a few more days before I decide. I have the parts to make some more tailwheels and have had some inquiries on making some more of those too, but to be frank I'm all out of Corsair juice right now.
I was hoping to bring the plane to some of the warbird fly-ins but now I'll just work those days instead of taking them off.
If there is any positive to this I can say that all the mods you guys recommended worked like a dream. The only thing I would do differently is to try to make it even lighter, but I'm not sure that's possible without substituting a lot of wood and substantially changing the design.
Sam
Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Thunderbolt47

ORIGINAL: chandley43231

hi guyswill be builing this winter an will make a atempt to build with the same idea as the arf mike barbee will be coaching me want to put the flap set up like the 60 tf arf i have want to put on the robart electric retracks an 55 dle ra ill have pics an updates hope the best to all

Sounds like you have one heck of a coach. I've been seeing Mike's stuff in the mags. for years.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

such kind word thunderbolt47 ill let him know  thanks agian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.