Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top flight 85" P47?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top flight 85" P47?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 AM
teambreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top flight 85" P47?

Hi Guys I am thinking about building a Top flight P47 for scale competition and was wondering how scale the out line is ?
I would hate to order the kit and then find out that I was going to have Really modify the out line to compete with it . thanks for any info.
Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 AM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top flight 85" P47?

Mike, The Mesister Scale P-47 (razorback & bubble) have done very well in competition! Check it out at
www.meister-scale.com/index.html My friend Dino DiGiorgio is the new owner of Meister Scale since Dick Bernier retired from his retirement job Dino also has a great photo CD documenting the first Meister Jug that he and his Dad built, and now the new one he just built.
Think about it...bigger is better!
Rob / katchmarek
Old 10-31-2005, 02:03 AM
teambreen

Hi Katchmark
My Father is building a Meister Fw 190 D9 and for some reason I never even thought about the Mister p 47 I will definitely cheak it out. I agree with you 100% that bigger is better . I flew 37% extras in competition ( aerobatic competition) for year do to that very reason. thanks for the great info.
Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the TF GS P47 is very close in fact. The only real mods to be done are to the fin/stab to get the raked ends on the rudder/elev ends - easy to do. Apart from that the outline is very close, a tad longer in the nose by maybe 1/2" is about all.

I blew up my 1:48th 3 views to the actual kit size so know first hand how close it is.

Other change and it is a major one is to modify - read re-engineer the wing so the retracts are in the scale location.

Have a look at my P47 build thread to see what I mean.

cheers
Peter
Old 10-31-2005, 03:23 AM
teambreen

Hi Peter
thanks so much for the info . when you scaled up your 3views how did you go about doing that ? I have been thinking about using auto cad to scale up the 3 views to the exact size I want them to be and then printing them on a plotter do you think this would be a accurate way of doing it?
I looked threw a lot of your building thread and man it looks great ( I will look threw the rest tomorrow right now I got to get some sleep its only 3:30 am here HA ha).
The part about reinginering the wing does not sound all that fun My father and I just went threw that on a Meister Fw 190 and I really am not sure I want to go threw that again just yet .
But we will see .
thanks again for the info .
mike
By the Way sorry about my spelling.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Mike,

no worries. I went to a printing place with the aero detail book, showed them the picture and told them the multipication factor to enlarge by. They simply scanned the drawings in and applied the facor, $150 and 1 days later I had several very large rolls of paper in the exact size with full panel lines etc detail on them. So easy now for detailing.

mmm you could go the cad route but as I am a cad novice except doe some work in Command 2000, Visio I could not really say if that approach is viable or not.

the re-engineering is not that hard, I had it all worked out in my head how to do it then simply made up some paper templates and did overlays on the plans to get the locations for sub spars etc. Added a couple of pound to the wing perhaps but will be worth it and the wing is exceptionally strong now.

I also had to modify the robart retracts from being 85 degree to 90 degree type as a consequence.

Spelling? Mate I'm an engineer so you can imagine what my spelling is like! Thank good ness for spell checkers though not when they are Yanklish hehehe

3 am? You should be in the workshop cutting wood not wasting time here says he who is on the laptop yet again!

anyway time for me to be off - home theatre is calling meeeeee
cheers
Peter
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 PM
teambreen

Thanks for the great info Peter . I finally got a chance to look at the rest of your building thread you are right changing the landing gear does not look to difficult. You do great work man!!! I think it would be a lot ezer than the mods we made to the fw 190. I talked with a Friend of mine that has a large formate plotter and he said it would be no problem to just bring the 3 views by and he would scale them up .
The big problem with spell checker is when I hit use it smoke rolls out of my computer. another problem is i do not speak English Or Yanklish HA HA I speak southern English. Yall come back now ya hear HA HA

I know what you mean about wasting time on the computer instead of working on airplanes . I hate to think about how much building time I have wasted on this dang thing.
Take care and thanks again for the great info and all the help
Mike
Old 11-01-2005, 12:44 AM
mcarleno

Teambreen,

Been spending a lot of time with a client in Alabama and I've learned that "Yall" is singular and "All Yall" is plural (LOL). Peter's thread is awsome. I was going to build a 190A8 this winter, but I don't have an American warbird in my hanger. Every day there is something new on that thread, and well, it make me want to build a P-47 soooo bad. If I do, I will probably do a P-47C (Arizona Pete).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62946.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	346918  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 AM
teambreen

HA HA you no I never thought about that but you are right Marc. I know what you mean about the thread it definitely has me Fired up to build a top flight P47 I really like the way the Arizona Pete looks. I definitely plan to build a razer back . Tonight my dad informed me that we have a set of P47 planes for a Zirole . But because of the thread I think I am going to go with the top flight . Witch 190a8 where you planing to build?
Mike
Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

thanks for that guys appreciate the kind words. Hey I speak southenish too Y'all as I spent about 7 weeks around Sth Texas and Lousiana over the Christmas New Year period of 9/97 - can still hear those banjos playin twang clink clink - squeal piggy !! LOL

Seam to recall some time in New Orleans drinking Hurricanes till I passed out on New Years Eve, woke up 3pm next day back in my hotel room, no idea how I got back there!

ciao
Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 AM
mcarleno

Well, I currently fly glow power, though have been considering gas. Our club fly's at a community college here and they are considering revising the rules to ban gas probably do to liability issues at the college (building keep getting closer and closer to the field).

So, having said that, I was looking at a Skyshark. Looks like a good build and there are some good threads on RCscalebuilder. But flaps have to be engineer in (I'm ok with that) but I think the Top-Flite 63" is looking very good and capable of most of the scaling that the boyz in Peter thread are doing. If I go with the 85" it definately got to be gas. Even at $2.50 a gallon it seam cheap compared to burning up 20-30 Oz of 15% Nitro every flight on a big Supre Tigre.

Some good color schemes for the P-47 can be found at:
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/3

And info at:
http://www.airwar.ru (Click the British Flag for english).
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
teambreen

Yea I know what you mean about gas being a lot cheaper than glow . I have ran almost nothing but gas powered stuff ( with a few electrices thrown in) for about 15 years now and I can't Imagen going back to glow just because of the fact that gas seems to be so much simpler and dependable to me now.