Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ARf - sea fury on E-Bay -

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ARf - sea fury on E-Bay -

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARf - sea fury on E-Bay -

just wondering how your coming out LDM and NoFlaps? i ve been busy with other projects last week, i did get the rets setting flush in the wing, and was able to put the gear to work assureing proper operations and fit in wings... looks good, i ll need to build up the inside a bit yet. then i can start with the servo placement, running of wires and air lines. then i can start to assemble the main wings as a onepiece unit.. once thats done, its off to the tail section and the tail wheel. this should be fun as i have to not only fit the rear ret, but need to build the entire ret bay.... im useing a set of Rohm Airs in Mine.. work like a charm. will probably do the Robart 120 ret tail wheel. or maybe look to comomize on of my own.

hope your builds are goine well, wil be interested as i did look at the SF befor i settled on the p47.
Timmahh....

PS LDM need a good sales guy in michigan? if its available i can sell it...lol
Old 03-28-2006, 04:54 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Tim , did start yet , waiting for my CJ retracts and a 120 4 stroke to arrive . I did put the thing on a scale , comes in about 8.5 lbs dry no glue . I have to tell you that overall I am really impressed with the plane . I dont know about your p47 but this plane is 100% monocote so its easy to match . I will post pics as soon as I start the build
Old 03-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Timmahh
Banned

agree, i think the quality is good on the p47 as well... will need a bit of extra epoxy in the fuse ribs as they LOOK lightly epoxied, but the fuse IS solid as is... so far the work on the 47 has been uneventfull. fairly easy and open. like i said in my earliest post, the directions SUCK!!!!!! they are more like a elmo book for a 8 month old baby..lol See Dick, See Jane, See Spot. I cant see the directional pics and im not able to read ivisable directions..lol other than that. im happy with it... hopeing to get the ret bays stiffened up this evening.

ty for the update, will be reading with interest..
Tim
Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

I just received a Sea Fury and I have compared it to the Top Flite kit and plans. It is nearly the same . The ARF has decals that even say Top Flite on them ! The color scheme is the same as on the TF box ! The differences I have noticed so far are the shape and size of the elevators and stab. They are both incorrect as far as being scale. The elevators extend all the way to the tips and are a straight line between the tips on the full size. The wing does not have a flat center section and a small amount of dihedral in the outboard sections. The flaps are improper shape and are not split flaps. The rudder needs a balance tab to be scale. To facilitate installing retracts I am going to use the rib reinforcements from the TF kit to build a box that will hold the retracts at the proper angles and then install it in the wing. I plan to take any dihedral out of the center and to cut the wing to put the dihedral in the outer panels. This will be outside the retract mounts so it should not comprimise the strength.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Timmahh
Banned

HalH, it sure would be appreciated if you could put a link to the ret kit from TF... as you know, the SeaFury does not have the prebuilt ret bays in the wings like the P47 that i bought does... all i needed to do is strenghten the existing bays to put mine in... i am sure LDM and NoFlaps would like to get a look at it. I know LDM is putting in rets... are you planning on documenting the work you do?
Tim
Old 04-09-2006, 04:17 PM
HalH

I have done some measuring of the ARF vs. the TF plans. On the picture attached I have marked the location of the spar and ribs. I have shown one box that I am expecting to install with the Century Jet scale retracts. I have noticed in the TF instruction manual that they have the struts mounted backwards and that the extra rail used is shown on the backside instead of the front side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73577.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	442041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95133.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	442042  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Hal. You are correct, the TF manual shows you how to install the gear back-wards! lol Here is a SF under restoration, clearly showing the gear.

I just hope the "you can't make anything scale" crowd don't find this thread, I'd like to do a bash on this one as well! It looks like she has some great potential.

Name:	Ur52214.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	442195  
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
HalH

Here are some pictures of my CMJ scale retract installation.

Name:	Sq48343.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	444101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75985.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	444102  
Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 PM
LDM

Hal great job and thanks for the call today . From our discussion I thought your gear would actualy start closer to the leading edge above the main supporting spar , I guess I was wrong and that is why pics are always great . I was wondering if I should move them further forward to prevent tip stalls on take offs

Tim I started with the flaps because I am still waiting for my gear from CJ . I have completed the upper portion of the wing that will make the top part on the trailing edge . Now I need to make the actual botton part of what emcompasses the actual flap . Does anyone know (Hal) especially if the Top Flight flaps are scale ? They appear to be simple ply open frame on ribs , the frame looks like open boxes according to the plans .

Tim fyi you can go to top flight and see the plans first hand .
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 PM
LDM

Oh one more thing , can anyone tell me what color this plane is and is there a commercial covering that matches , I tried monocote insignea blue (to dark ) the bottom is monocote silver 100% match
Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
HalH

I can not find a color match either. The Top-Flite kit recommends Insigna Blue and the ARF is not Insigna Blue.

Another note about retracts. The spar in the ARF is approx. 1" further back than the TF.

The enclosed picture is the retract mounted in the ARF wing.

I have added pictures to show the retract install from start to ___. The last picture shows where I cut the outer wing off. I am going to put some dihedral in the outboard panels. The center section will be flat on the top.

Name:	Sq47656.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	444240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78778.jpg
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	444241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54410.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	444242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50508.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	444243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66831.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	444244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79814.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	444245  
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Timmahh
Banned

looks nice Gents,, i have the rets in the wings of my 47, was pretty simple and appears to be pretty rigid, but im still going to add a touch of support bracing for strength. also have the air line path routed to where i think it will work, but when setting it up on the table, there s going to be a nice void area in the lower fuse piece under the main wing, so i was thinking of setting up the retract stuff there,(after looking at it its not quite big enough for a full size air tank without cutting into the underside of the wing, which i dont want to do, so ) then fixing that on the wing in somewhat of a permanent yet removable fasion. i can add a fill port on the bottom and out of the way, install the airtank, actuator, and ret servo all in this area, will keep cg low and mostly centered as well.

right now, im knee deep in trying to figure out how im going to set up the dual flaps on the P47. the fuse flaps had the rod intalled,and the setup for them is really straight forward, ( in pic 2 and 3 you can see where the golden rod exits the underside of the wing, , the cover you see next to it is where im thinking of attatching the gr to a bell crank to connect to the flap) but the wing flaps are a mystery right now. im planning on useing some golden rod to keep the operation smooth, perhaps with a bell crank installed on the included covers, with an added layer for strength, which is why maybe a single servo could work for the wing flaps.....( there is not room for a standard size servo in this area of the wing either, only opton without some pushrod and bell crank setup, would be to mount a micro servo with good torque, but then would have fairly long leads to them and have tu build a usable servo mount ou in the wing.... i think the gr is the way to go with a single or dual servo at the joint in the center of the wings are. you can see in another pic where there gr outer tube (red tube) is at between the wings, there is no apparent area to install a servo to opperate them, let alone two. just a small 3/8ths hole where the gr currently passes thur) the kit appears to be lacking in the general installation and how to information in the wing servo area.....and for the rest of the model as far as that goes. as to where or how to install a servo or servos to get the wing flaps working has left me scratching my head abit.. the plane has 4 wing flaps, id prefer to have 4 wing servos, but if i can get it working well enough with 2 or 3, i ll be happy with that. i looked at the TF Jug, but didnt see ALOT of good help there either...thought it appears to be a bit more informative for the SF i need to research how each flap is suppose to work, ie, fuse flaps simutanius, or alternateing direction or both.. same with tip flaps, i know alternating, but how do the work in conjunction with the flan by the fuse on a 47. plenty to keep me pulling my hair out for a few days..lol

heres some pics of what i ve got so far, any ideas for the wing flaps would be great. i ve been looking over old post, and found alot of gr8 info, but not much on this yet.
keep up the good work peeps
Tim

Name:	Sq46327.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	444281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92981.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	444282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44934.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	444283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24453.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	444284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32541.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	444285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47629.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	444286  
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 AM
LDM

Tim , I think you are going to get flex with a golden ron and possible flutter . You may wan to look for the regular torque "THIN "wing servos , a little more pricey but they work well in thin applacations .

Hal , thats too bad on the covering I was hopeing to keep it simple and not have to match paint !!!
The gear set up looks good but the spar being one inch back concerns me , but the way you mounted the gear looks correct and the forward angle should not create tip stalls
Old 04-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i would think A GOOD painter would have valuable insite into the color matching. Maybe if you are associates with one, they may be able to point in a good direction for colors or possibly a store that has an expert mixer available... its more critical in the automotive world, so the final result would be much nicer a match... just a few thoughts.
Tim
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
LDM

hal thanks for the clarity , my RC lingo is horrible , I meant to say nose over - when i referred to tip stall , sorry for the confusion .

Tim , I know some great paint stores and even Walmart can do a good job , just trying to save a ton of work on this one and use an over the counter covering but it may not work unless i can match one at the hobby shop .
Old 04-14-2006, 04:27 PM
LDM

Tim , I received a PM that safire moncote blue was used on this plane , so for those of you who care , dont buy royal blue of insigna blue , the moncote used is Safire Blue .
I am going to buy a role and see how it matches
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Thanx for the update LDM, that will make someone headache a bit less severe...lol
Timmahh
Old 04-16-2006, 08:37 AM
HalH

One thing I have neglected to mention in my Sea Fury bash job is the fact that before I started cutting the bottom of the wings I layed several layers of glass cloth over the Monokote where the gear doors are located.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
LDM

Hal , I have a question for you please .
Ok I set my gear on the wing , measured the area to be cut and the potential area for gear doors ect .
What still puzzels me (I know I am slow ) is I have planed the angle the gear will be set forward in the wing , I have the supporting beams measured out and the layout of how the gear will go back into the wing . I still feel that the I will need to adjust the strut(one time ) so that it will enter the wells and the wheel will lay flat then extend for landing and the wheel will be straight , is this sound correct ?
I am not talking about the degree angle of the retract mounting brace , I am talking about the
wheels going into the wing flat and extending so that they are straight ????[&o]
Old 09-17-2006, 01:34 PM
shindin
My Feedback: (5)

Looks great, Hal!
Just chiming in here, as I have bought 3 planes from Jerry (yuejin ??) on ebay, and my seafury not only had the retract rails in place, but also had a set of plastic mechanical retracts.... the fuse is glass & the wing is built up..... the P51 is all built up, but also had rails and came with retracts..... the FW190 doesn't have retracts, so I guess I'd better check the wing to see if it has the rails.... It has a glass fuse & I think a built up wing, guess i'd better check it..... I bought these 3 kits to use in designing/fitting replacement retracts..... they will be similar to the ones I make for the KMP me109... the seafury will have an optional "squint-scale" double-strut, similar to the one unitracts makes..... will be probably 1st of november before they're out, have some other stuff to finish up, & the addition to the shop is coming up......
Lenny
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
RedTwilight

I just won one of these off e-bay for less than $100. From the same seller (yeunjin2002) Hopefully it'll be here soon. If this thing is so close to the Top Flite version would it be possible to use the wing from the TF Sea Fury?
How will a Saito 125 suffice for power in this bird?
LDM or Hal- Any pics or anything else in making the split flaps?
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
british bloke

Anybody had a look at he new SEAGUL SEA FURY, similar spec and engne size, retracts and flaps.http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...20Seagull,take a look see what you think
Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
LDM

red will , post soon , my split flaps are done , retracts in , just added all servos in the wing .
Will glue both wing halves soon , then work on fuse
Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
british bloke

hi,what have heard about the seagul sea fury, is it ok? do you know of any reviews etc
Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
HalH

I'm very sad to report that I have due to a very serious cancer that I will not be able to do any RC modeling. I , at this point, have a lot of unfinished projects. Hope I can get well enough to continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.