Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyshark kit prices

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyshark kit prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skyshark kit prices

Off the topic for a minute but have to ask,
How do you guys get the quote box and type a mesage below or above it like on the posting before this one?
Larry
Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Larry S

Off the topic for a minute but have to ask,
How do you guys get the quote box and type a mesage below or above it like on the posting before this one?
Larry
Click on the Quote symbol at the upper right of the post you want to quote.

If you want your text to appear above the quote, just begin typing.

If you want your text to appear beneath the quote, click you cursor below the last [/quote] you see at the end of the text you're quoting.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to quote something from someone else's post, copy and paste it into this Fast Reply box. Then highlight it with your cursor. You know, "select" it.

Then move your cursor up to the "quote" key and click it.

Your cursor will then pop up right after what will be displayed in the quote box after you OK the post. Start typing to place text outside that "soon to be in a quote box" text.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Larry S

Did something wrong, will try again.

If you want to quote something from someone else's post, copy and paste it into this Fast Reply box. Then highlight it with your cursor. You know, "select" it.

Then move your cursor up to the "quote" key and click it.

Your cursor will then pop up right after what will be displayed in the quote box after you OK the post. Start typing to place text outside that "soon to be in a quote box" text.
Hope this works
Thank you guys, never to old to learn new tricks.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok people. For thoes of us who have built a kit to scale and had to select one for 289. Wich would it be and why. Skyshark or Top flite if all their kits were on the market. I ask because I have several of them both in my collection. Building the Skyshark was very simple but the ease of breaking the parts in building sucked. I also built a top flite D9 wich I had no problens with as well and didn't break a thing simply touching the pieces. I've found more after market parts for the TF FW190 and none for the Skyshark. My TF I didn't have to fiber glass but I had to on my skyshark for support.[8D]
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

have built TF kits and am currently building one now.
laser cutting not die crunching, would be a huge improvement in the TF kits, but for the cost it's worth it most are 149.00, with a tower discount thats pretty cheap and as noted earlier in this rant on skyshark Top Flight are a lost leader, worth giving away for the accessory purchases, engines ,retracts,etc.
skyshark has none/little of that too bad.
I would be stoked to buy some accessorys from them if they had a cheaper price for there kits as it is when I am ready I will get my kit and shop for the things at a bunch of different places.
the bonus of skyshark,the new fiberglass parts, laser cutting, and exelent flight reviews, and the fact that there models are not the "normal" run of the mill model types.
a guy had a TF dora listed on EBAY and wanted 280$ no body wanted it so I offered 160$ the retail price for it and he went on a rant that it was rare and the best version of a d-9 blablabla and I needed to do some research before I could offer him so little for his rare kit [:'(] like I hadn't done any, spare me.
I guess he didn't want my $.
my point is the kits offered are a good quality product with higher than average quality parts so for a few extra bucks I am looking forward to my first skyshark build yea the extra 100$$ sucks but where I live thats a good night out on the town with a few drinks.
I dont drink so I guess SS will get the extra $$ for there not so rare 190 I hope they dont go out of buisness cause it will be a few months before I am ready.
if I owned a small Co. and was getting bashed page after page I think the moderators would have to blank out all my postings because id be spitting mad too we all got to make a living .
Old 10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Demire,

If I had $289 to spend on kits I would buy a TF Spit and Corsair, If I had another $289 I would seriously consider the Sky Shark Avenger. For the modeling money Top Flight is the best, but Sky Shark has some great offerings.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Ramstein44

I think Skysharks prices would be a little easier to swollow if they included everything in the kit like screws, controle rods, fuel tank and so on. Since building this kit, I've spent another 40 or so on these things. Getting a little painful.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
bigtim

I will second that Demire it would smooth out the bumps a little.
the TF spitfire built that one last year great plane to build am on to a tf P-47 so far its also been easy and looking forward to that one also, trying to avoid the F4U &P-40 the gear is a bit tricky even though they are a couple of favorites
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

I got a big bang for my buck for a kit I have been wanting to get, I bought a Top flite 86 inch Corsair kit from Tower hobbies for a club member price of $265.99 minus $20.00 for spending over $149 and free shipping for the final cost of $245.99, can't ask for more than that for a buck streching deal!.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Well I finally ordered a SkyShark BF109G kit and spinner. The kit cost me just $229.99 and the spinner was $39.99, shipping was $15.00. Now this, I really can afford. I am sure that I can't receive "tech support" from SkyShark though, because I am on "the list" and I didn't purchase the kit from them. That's no problem, the kit that I received even had the fiberglass parts in addition to the ABS parts and it looks like a good kit to build. Maybe they are as good as they claim.

Anyways, this "whiner" from Colorado is happy now!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

[quote]ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

I TOTALLY understand his frustrations with selling to Canada. There are more troubles with the Canada Post and Candian buyers in general than ANY other country. Sorry, I love Canada and Canadians, but that has just been my experience. I know I will get flamed for saying it, but that's how it is, and I understand the guy's position.

If you guys think its frustrating on your end, you should try it from this side of the border! Between UPS and Canadian Customs it seems impossible to get a kit up here without someone gouging you in the process. Perhaps thats why Mike has run into a higher number of whiners up here in Canada. Actually, I think there are proportionately more builders up here than there are in the US. At least thats been my experience having lived on both sides of the border. Mike, if you're still following this thread I'd encourage you to not give up on the Canadian market. Your customer base is too small for you to be black-listing some of them. Apology accepted on the 'Canadian whiners' comment. I understand how frustrating this thread must have become for you and I'm sure you would have preferred to keep your pricing down if you could have. People need to understand that it doesn't make sense to be in business if you're not making money at it. I've built a Skyshark kit and I'd rather see you offer the same high-quality kits, but at a higher price, than the alternative. I'll still buy Skyshark kits (if you'll sell to me) and Top Flite kits. As I said earlier, at the old pricing the Skyshark kits were a better value than Top Flite kits in my opinion. Now, I'd probably have to say that the Top Flite kits have the advantage on value. Sure, I'll have to replace heavy wood with light, and lighten up the design to get it to fly really well, but I can buy a lot of balsa and a fiberflass cowl for the price difference. The difference in value is small enough that it really comes down to which plane I want. I still want to add an Avenger, Me109G, Spitfire, and Sea Fury to my collection.
I'd like to echo the suggestion a few others have made to you Mike. Don't get caught up in this mud-slinging and don't let your emotions get the best of you, especially on this open forum, in front of your customers. Its not good for you or your business. You make an excellent product and the price increase is necessary if not popular.
Now, let's all get back to building. I can't believe how much time I wasted reading this forum when I could have been building!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 AM
mech9
My Feedback: (49)

Well said Darren.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

Well I finally ordered a SkyShark BF109G kit and spinner. The kit cost me just $229.99 and the spinner was $39.99, shipping was $15.00. Now this, I really can afford. I am sure that I can't receive "tech support" from SkyShark though, because I am on "the list" and I didn't purchase the kit from them. That's no problem, the kit that I received even had the fiberglass parts in addition to the ABS parts and it looks like a good kit to build. Maybe they are as good as they claim.

Anyways, this "whiner" from Colorado is happy now!

Where did you find that one with the fiberglass? I would like one at the onld price, but can't see it at the new price. PM me the information, so I can order one also...please.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Larry S

I just found this thread. I have a bunch of the Skyshark kits in stock that I need to move. These will be at the old pricing or better if you order multiple kits. I'll ship these in the US only. Sorry, no international shipments. At one time we had two of each model. I'm not sure of my stock at the moment since this is supposed to be my day off and I'm not at the shop. I'll give the participants in this thread first crack at them. Please e-mail me at [email protected] or call the shop at 877-473-3300 sometime between 10-6EST Monday through Saturday. E-mail is preferred so I can more easily track responses. Please mention this thread in your communication.

Thanks!

Keith Hollifield
Speeders Model Shop
P 51B
Johnny bought his plane here and I bought a FW 190A from this place. I wish I had known this place was going to sell their Skyshark kits at this price, I would have bought one of them myself and got the fiberglass parts as Johnny did. I had ordered elsewhere and only got the plastic parts at the same price Johnny paid. This dealer only had two of these ME 109 kits and he's sold out of them now. He does have other kits if you like to check them out.
Larry
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 AM
SpeedersModelShop

Hey guys,

The ads are expiring for the Skyshark kits. If you wan't one now is the time. See here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sea...emberID=212951

Keith
Old 10-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

P-51B,

Larry S. is correct. I got my kit from Speeders Hobbies, but I got the last one at the old prices. They might have some of the 109E kits left.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Ramstein44

You all may want to look at RCU for sale site.... Speeders has several kits on there for the old prices. They've been there for over two weeks now. I bought two Fw190 from there recently. I think theres a me109 left.[8D]
Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

P-51B,

Larry S. is correct. I got my kit from Speeders Hobbies, but I got the last one at the old prices. They might have some of the 109E kits left.

Thanks for the information everyone, I already have the 109E. Wish I would have known about the 109G at speeders, looks like I missed out, and will be going without one.

Enjoy your builds all.

Cheers
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Larry S

P 51 B,
NO you won't, I'll sell ya mine for what I have in it. I'll have to go check all the prices I paid because I have everything, the fiberglass parts and spinner that I bought seperately. After I find out what I have in it, I'll box it up and take it to the post office to see what the shipping will be.
It won't be cheap that I will tell you but it will be far cheaper then buying one from Skyshark. I didn't buy my kit from Speeders, it came from some outfit in AL that was selling them at the old prices. If I had only known Speeders was going to sell them I would have bought it from them at lease they included the fiberglass parts.
Reason I'm willing to sell it is because I picked up the FW 190A from Speeders and that is one of my all time favorites. As for the ME 109G, I can't say that is. I look at it this way, If I can't at least get my money back on it, I'll build it someday.
Let me know if you're interested on here and if you are, we'll get together and make arrangements on payment and shipment. I'll check back here later today
Larry
Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
hmuncey

Originally Posted by w0mbat
Why hate on Top Flite? Well, because I have built a few of their kits before I got into the R/C business and I thought they were terrible to build and to fly. That is one of the reasons I purchased Heritage R/C in the first place - because I wanted something better. Sometimes planes do not fly well because of just plain bad design.

As far as thanking our customers - we personally thank everyone who calls and orders from us. We hope our few dealers do the same thing. We give people what we feel is the best customer service available. When our kit customers need laser parts cut because they made a mistake, lost or broke something, we make sure they get what they need right away and ususally at no charge. We offer everyone who buys a kit from us 50% off a replacement kit if they crash within the first year. We have even cut special contest grade kits for people at no extra charge. We have probably turned more beginners away from buying our kits than we have sold simply because we felt they were not ready to build or fly warbirds. Most people would just sell them and be done with it - I know because that is exactly what happened to me when I started in the hobby! We do appreciate our customers, but we do not appreciate people who have nothing better to do than complain just because they enjoy complaining or have some chip on their shoulder. We would rather not make the sale than have to deal with people who are chronically unhappy and miserable to everyone around them. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. Why do some people make it so miserable for themselves and others?

The reason people cannot go into hobby shops and buy Skyshark kits is because hobby shops refuse to stock them. That is just the nature of the beast. They would rather stock ARFS because they move faster - and they can order everything from one place - Hobbico or Horizon. Many hobby shop owners are more interested in convenience than stocking the "best" items. It's convenient to order from one main company, rather than trying to order from 100 different ones even though the products may be better and less expensive. We have done our best to try and get hobby shops to distribute out kits but it just hasn't worked out, so we sell direct. At least this way, we have complete control of customer service. When someone has question on or problem with our products, they get immediate answers from knowledgable people.

Just because we produce kits on a smaller scale does not mean our costs go down. In fact, they have gone up because we place smaller orders with our suppliers, and in return, have to pay more for our materials. All our other costs have increased in the 4 years we have been in business yet we have only had one small price increase on a couple kits in all that time. You have to realize that, unlike Top Flite, we don't have engines, glue, radios, servos, building tools, covering and misc building supplies to subsidize our kits. Naturally they would cost more even if they were the same quality. With fewer builders now than ever before, kit sales drop and prices must go up or you go out of business like Pica, Royal, Marutuka, etc.

The good news is that we are selling more kits now than the 12 months previous to our price increase and so far, our complaint numbers have dropped to almost zero. This is a good thing because it will allow us to have kit sales and trade show specials with big savings. The only people who are really complaining about the price are a few usual people here on RCuniverse. This is nothing new to me because I have been on RC newsgroups and forums since the beginning. I now realize that there are some people who are never happy no matter what. I could give free kits to some people (and I have) and they would complain about the balsa being too soft or the box not being the right color (and they have)!

Now our ARFs are another subject. I have owned quite a few arfs from various manufacturers - and I have been ripped off more than my share of times and ended up with what I consider junk. I have always built kits but I also enjoy assembling and flying ARFs. I make the ARFS that I want to fly at the level of quality that I like. The way I see it, there are more guys like me out there who also want a quality product - even if it costs more. Most may not reside here on RC Universe, but they are out there. If we can subsidize our kit business and my hobby by selling ARFs that I like to fly, then so be it! After import freight, duties, advertising, labor, testing, prototype costs, competition from China and all the additional items we add to each plane, we don't make much on them anyway. I think you will find that most small companies who sell only a few different ARFs are in the same position. The hobby has changed a lot in the 4 years since I started this company. Now it seems that many people are only interested in the least expensive thing they can find - no matter what the quality. Yes, I believe the Wal-mart mentality has infested the hobby and it's a real shame. Other than a few premium brands like BVM, Dave Patrick, etc., it's difficult to find a quality ARF that is well designed, builds easy with quality materials/hardware, flies well and is durable for years of flying. It seems like many of the planes today are designed to fly a few times and be thrown away. Perhaps most people crash them right away and don't get to that point?

J Villa, I think you should go out and buy that TF Corsiar. When it tip stalls into the ground, you can sell your $1500.00 worth of engines, gear, servos etc. and call me for a $350.00 Skyshark Kit and rest assured that it will fly as advertised! [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
I will be in Havasu Friday night. I am interested in your Val. As for rib patterns etc, tell your detractors to try a copy machine. My son and I have been doing this since the 70's. Finally not all Top Flites were made in Asia. try the red boxes. I totally agree with you about the ARF's.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
bigtim

Originally Posted by hmuncey
I will be in Havasu Friday night. I am interested in your Val. As for rib patterns etc, tell your detractors to try a copy machine. My son and I have been doing this since the 70's. Finally not all Top Flites were made in Asia. try the red boxes. I totally agree with you about the ARF's.
you do realize this thread is 7 years old right Skyshark had discontinued and then reissued there warbird collection over the last few years, the Heritage line of planes is pretty nice http://www.skysharkrc.com/warbird_kits/default.html and they offer a nice variety of selection.

there just a little bit on the expensive side for there size, I have 4 of there kits myself and there well made its too bad they are not scaled up a little larger.