Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Skyshark kit prices

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Skyshark kit prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Jimmbbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skyshark kit prices

Well stated, Mike..

As John Arbuckle used to say in the 1970's Yuban commercials - "You get what you pay for"... IMO Skyshark produces an excellent product that is reasonably priced for the quality, and you can't pick up a Cadillac for an Impala price. I also appreciate Skyshark's innovative approaches to making different levels of kit available to help save experienced modelers a few bucks...

No one likes to pay more of his hard earned cash for a model, but it is doubtful prices anywhere in our economy will be retrenching as long as we are held hostage to a mistake of geology in the Middle East.

Keep up the good work, Skyshark!

Jim
Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

The Captain is right again. lol All of you are! Talking is usually a good place to start when it comes to People Banding together against these Morons who take all our hard earned money. Some of us are making the decision either to feed our family, or put the money in the gas tank. Personally, I can't go to many of the events like I used too now. It's really sad, I don't think I'm the only one in this boat. I'll always find away to keep my Hobby going though... just might have to Scratch Build, that's all.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear northamerican mates:

If you feel it "hard" think of modellers abroad!. I had been considering buying a Skyshark Me 109 G kit for some months after the so excellent reviews here in RCUniverse, in RC Scale Builder and in the spanish forum Miliamperios, but for us "at the other side of the pond" we have to add a quite expensive shippment cost plus an import tax of 6% over grand total plus a V.A.T. tax of 16 % over previous figure (in some EC countries V.A.T. even goes to 20%) so making the purchase of a Skyshark kit well over 50% of that you pay there in the USA.

So unless you a have a quite "healthy" home economy and you are really an capricious guy, skyshark kits fall outside of many modellers possibilities here in Europe. It seems "globalization" is only intended for selling from third world countries to first ones but not for comerce between first world ones; .... a real pity!.

Best regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jescardin

Dear northamerican mates:

If you feel it "hard" think of modellers abroad!. I had been considering buying a Skyshark Me 109 G kit for some months after the so excellent reviews here in RCUniverse, in RC Scale Builder and in the spanish forum Miliamperios, but for us "at the other side of the pond" we have to add a quite expensive shippment cost plus an import tax of 6% over grand total plus a V.A.T. tax of 16 % over previous figure (in some EC countries V.A.T. even goes to 20%) so making the purchase of a Skyshark kit well over 50% of that you pay there in the USA.

So unless you a have a quite "healthy" home economy and you are really an capricious guy, skyshark kits fall outside of many modellers possibilities here in Europe. It seems "globalization" is only intended for selling from third world countries to first ones but not for comerce between first world ones; .... a real pity!.

Best regards,

Jesus Cardin
Please, share with me here the names of some of these third world firms that are selling kits of the quality of SkyShark!
Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
jescardin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave:

It was a general comment as you sure know no third world firm produces kits but RTF or ARTF models using their extremely cheap man labour. Regarding this, please, take a look at the jet forun and you will discover several threads regarding the competence of a most famous american jet company with various of their previous far east suppliers which sells the "same" models well nearly at half price.

For me, a real Luftwaffe fan, I have just purchased a 72.5" RTF ESM/KMP Me 109 E model from a Spanish mail shop at 375 € (or US $ 477) including taxes and shipment within Spain so, you and all may agree, making an excellent quality alternative -althought not a kit- to the Skyshark one.

Best regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Trimtab

Here’s some price comparisons looking at the old (Heritage) and new (Skyshark) prices and a brief look at Top Flight’s offerings:

OLD PRICE . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NEW PRICE

SBD Dauntless $169.95 . . . . . . . . . . . . .$279.95

TBM Avenger $239.95 . . . . . . . . . . . . . $349.95

F6F Hellcat $159.95 . . . . . . . . . . . . . $279.95

Top Flite .60 size Corsair $149.99. . . . . . . . . . .Top Flite Giant Corsair $279.99

Top Flite .60 size Sea Fury $159.99. . . . . . . . . . .Top Flite Giant P-47 Thunderbolt $219.99
Old 09-02-2006, 04:29 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting comparison and in my industry I have to say that I always must justify my prices increases . However on another note , the skyshark kits are lasor cut and the offerings are more unique (not so cookie cutter ) . Both of those features =benfits that = ability to charge more .

The corsair is available from so many ARFs at a better value then you could built the Top Flight -now I know the builders will say "but I built it " yes I agree that is not the question , the comparison is being made on price . You cant but an a qualitty ARF on some of the Skyshark kits menthioned .

Now if you compared the skyshark to Jerry Bates and the ability to but partial kits with fiberglass fuse ect , the comparison to me is much more difficult
Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
J Villa

I hope everyone who supports skyshark ( I bought their stuka last year) and their price increase, buys a kit soon, I am afraid that either the kits or the entire line will not be around long.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: J Villa

I hope everyone who supports skyshark ( I bought their stuka last year) and their price increase, buys a kit soon, I am afraid that either the kits or the entire line will not be around long.

Like the earlier post showed, you can get a Top Flite GS kit for less, and the TF 60 kits for half. Granted, the Shysharks are lazer-cut, but that isn't worth the huge difference in price.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM
J Villa

Skyshark kits are great, but for me, price is a huge consideration when buying a kit. I HAVE paid 400 dollars for a Platt 190A and I WILL pay 280.00 for a Top Flite giant scale Corsair. I MIGHT go to Airborne Hobbies in Sactown and try and buy a skyshark kit (me 109) at the old prices. But, sorry, I just cant afford 300 dollars for a 60 sized plane. However I did buy a Jemco Me109 for 80.00 yesterday at a swap meet...And yes, I know that Jemco kits don't compare to SS!
I have no idea of the profit margin or lack there of for kit manufacturers. However I did work for awhile at a HobbyTown USA and we typically made 10-15% per kit. So I don't believe that there are huge profits to be made in kits for anyone. On the flipside, glue, paint, hobby knives etc, yield a profit margin of 40-60%. So you can see how manufacturers and retailers stand to make a profit on ARF's. Don't get me wrong, I like ARF's too. I have 2 of the ebay CMP clones myself....
My personal opinion is that kit buyers, builders, and speculators, would really help our hobby alot if they would buy kits that are CURRENTLLY in production. It doesn't matter if you buy Top Flite, SkyShark, or Guillow's-otherwise they will be gone and they won't be back. I remember a couple of yrs. back staring at a stack of BalsaCraft FW 190 at the LHS. and i didn't buy one because I thought that since they were such great kits that they would be available for awhile......... Not to be. I even heard that BC had been planning to release a larger IC version of the FW 190- ofcourse that never happened.
Finally I'd just like to say, we should all leave the ebay speculating alone for awhile and go buy a kit that is in CURRENT production from our LOCAL HOBBY SHOP, and don't forget the glue and paint and hobby knives!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

I think Skyshark simply has priced themselves out of the market. THe Jump in price was FAR to high to fast. When the kits sit on the shelf and nobody is buying them prices may come down again. Or they will close the doors and call it quits. To Bad..... I was considering the ME 109 but now... Ain't going to happen. Looking at the VQ now...
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Nakajima

I would rather see them raise the prices and keep the kit quality high, rather than keeping the same pricing and lowering the quality down to the level of most other kits and ARFs.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Tommy_Gun

I think some are finding it easy to forget that Skyshark has stated thatrepeat customers will recieve a price break.

Sure you can think that you're taking it in the shorts on that first purchase.
But once you build that first kit, I think you will find it's worth it.

I am in the process of building the Top Flite 190D9 and can tell you that the quality of the kit overall and the building experience
are not even close to the same kit from Skyshark. Besides the scale deviations in the Top Flite kit and the larger wing area are detractions in both looks and performance when it comes to warbird racing.

If you are a builder as opposed to an ARF assembler, you need to give Skyshark a shot.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM
J Villa

Everyone should buy a SkyShark kit! If you love airplanes and rc models, support your hobby, even if you never build the kit you can always resale later or trade, or give it as a gift. But, we modelers must support local independent manufacturers before they are out of the industry.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
FW190 Dave

Hey guys, Here is a good place to get the kits at or near the old prices. From what I have heard Skyshark wants to get away from direct sales to customers.

[link=http://www.rcscaleproducts.com/kits.htm]http://www.rcscaleproducts.com/kits.htm[/link]
Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Thank you FW 190 for that site.
I just ordered the Me109G and saved $110 over Skyshark's prices. Guys, these prices can't be beat and maybe if we order enough kits, the price might go down even more.
Larry
Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM
flyinrain
My Feedback: (25)

I agree with J Villa on concern with them going out of business. When you can get an ARF for less money then a kit it is hard to compete. There certainly folks out there who love to build kits but is there enough to sustain the business?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Larry S

I think there is or at least I hope there is. I know as long as there are good kits out there I'll buy and build them. To me building is half the fun, flying the other half. I may not build the 109 I just ordered for some time but there will be a time I'll do it. I have several kits on hand and I believe I'll build my IMP Dauntless this winter.
Larry
Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
flyinrain
My Feedback: (25)

Yes I have my eye on the Dauntless also
Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Thanks for the link to http://www.rcscaleproducts.com/kits.htm.

Now I will order the BF109-G Kit.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Larry S

Decisions, decisions,
which kit to build this winter. I have a good assortment of quality kits I've picked up here and there and was pretty dead set on building the IMP Dauntless I have but I'll wait until the Skyshark ME 109 arrives and maybe I'll change my mind. Giant scale is nice but a pain in the butt to haul to the field. The prices on http://www.rcscaleproducts.com/kits.htm are hard to beat so all you guys who keep saying I wish I had ordered a Skyshark kit before better jump on these prices before they go up and just maybe if they sell enough of them at this price, the price will stay lower. Actually after I had ordered from rcscaleproducts, I haven't received a confirmation so I'll just have to wait and see if these prices hold up or if I even get my kit. I will inform all of you the minute the kit arrives so to let you know this is on the up.
Larry
Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
FW190 Dave

Larry, just ordered some retract parts from them. Ordered Friday and recieved them on Weds. They are good for it. You won't be let down.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Larry,

Your kit is shipping this week. And yes the price is on the up-and-up. However, we have been informed that we will receive a dealer price increase in October from SkyShark so get them while you can at these prices guys. We are just a part time business (we all have full time jobs) so we have to process everything after hours.

Thanks for your order!

Mike Chilson
RCSCALEPRODUCTS.COM
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM
randocommando

Hi Mike I just ordered an FW190 to be shipped to me here in Florida. I already have built the ME109G (great kit and flyer), you do ship by UPS don't you.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, but the kits are shipped directly from Skyshark in AZ. It takes them several days to put the kit together and get it shipped. BTW, thanks for the order. We are just modelers like you guys and when we find a good quality product we try and pass it on.

I have the Fw 190A myself and LOVE it! If you haven't gotten an engine for it yet I would recommend a Super Tigre .75 2-stroke. Makes that bird scream!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.