Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Well... its time. You've all been waiting for pics so here ya go. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!

Last pic is on the balance stand. Manual says 6 3/8" back from LE against fuse. It was perfectly balanced right off the bat. No added weight and I didnt have to move anything. Im not joking either. I am going to move one battery pack forward slightly though just to make it a little nose heavy for the maiden.

younger individuals should not click the photos to enlarge them as the nose art is accurate for the time, but not appropriate for young kids.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20157.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	925300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39339.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	925301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97660.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	925302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73453.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	925303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36223.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	925304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md52926.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	925305  
Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Kahloq,
Yeah slightly nose heavy helped me out, i found myself having to use more input on coordinated bank turns etc. i believe i was at recommended c.g. too and found myself using a lil more rudder for coordinated turns that i was used to. I moved it forward ever slightly and it helped things out. hey i like the font of that sticker "Bad B..." where can i get that?
Louie
Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
kahloq

The font was specially made for me by classicinsignia in vinyl. I do not have a font file for it and its based off of the lettering used by www.onebad*****.com

My wife has a few t-shirts from that place. They sell them at bike rallys and such.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

ORIGINAL: BBOwen
This is what makes my decals. I will be making all the decals for my P-51 with it.
[/quote]

Really cool!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Well... its time. You've all been waiting for pics so here ya go. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!

Last pic is on the balance stand. Manual says 6 3/8" back from LE against fuse. It was perfectly balanced right off the bat. No added weight and I didnt have to move anything. Im not joking either. I am going to move one battery pack forward slightly though just to make it a little nose heavy for the maiden.

younger individuals should not click the photos to enlarge them as the nose art is accurate for the time, but not appropriate for young kids.

Uh, I know there is a mustang in the second picture somewhere, Ha Ha. I must say, I am impressed with your bird. I am a real sucker for planes with beautiful women on the side.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
greilly

I'm a little confused. we dont want kiddies to see pictures of semi-clad chicks. we dont want the kiddies to see curse words.

But weapons designed to kill and maim are ok?

and nobody finds this logic odd?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Rip n Bank

Although I like Rip's suggestion, I simply epoxied them in place. If there is damage where one side or the other needs complete replacement, its not gonna matter since it'll be pretty badly destroyed...and probably a some of of the rest of the plane as well. So, simply using a file or something to get the epoxy residue off the alum. tube would be needed once the damaged part is pulled off. Sure, alot more work then undoing a screw, but, I dont have a tap screw.
Sorry, I've been out of town on pleasure and business since last Friday, with no time to access this thread!

I'm the first to agree that if you heavily damage a stabilizer when flying the plane, there probably ain't too much forward of that spot worth repairing!

However, I do stupid "hangar rash" accidents on occasion, including the walking of a horizontal stabilizer into a door jamb on the way to the garage.

99% of the aerodynamic load on the stabilizer is not translated to the screw tapped into the thin sidewalls of the stabilizer spar, so I don't worry much about that not holding up.

Bottom line: in practice, there's probably not much difference between screwing on the stab w/ blue loctite, or epoxying on the stab, instead.

Rip

Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Rip n Bank

Drop dead freakin' gorgeous, kahloq!

Rip
Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: frisconick

Finally got the maiden in yesterday. Three flights with no mishaps. None all too pretty though. It wanted to climb hard; took 15 clicks of down elevator, but looking at it on the ground, it didn't really deflect the elevator too much. I might have had it a bit up at neutral to start. I think the balance is OK. It needs a little down to fly inverted, but not too much. Tried the flaps on the second landing, but didn't have enough speed up during touchdown. It put a bit of stress on the gear, but everything held up well. The last landing was the best; a bit of a cross wind blew me off the asphault runway onto the grass, but I kept the shiny side up. I leaned out the Saito 220 after the first flight. It's turning about 8700 with the 18x8 MAS. It felt like I could have gone leaner, but I'll wait until a few more flights. Not sure at what point it happened, but the weld on the Keleo exhaust broke between the short header pipe and the muffler. I know I heard of this happening before, but not sure if it was on this thread. Anyone have this prob? What did Kelvin do? I really don't want to be out of commission for 2-3 weeks. I'll call him tomorrow. Other than that, all else is well.

Nick
Nick,

Congrats on the maiden!!!

I've had problems with my Keleo, too. Has to do with the back-swept pipe's mass flexing the entire assembly due to the vertical vibration from the big bad boy 220. Kelvin, as usual, is standing behind his product!

Rip
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Rip n Bank

I believe Rip N Bank may have also had this issue. So, I guess I should look forward to having mine break too!! Wonderful.
The standard, twin vertical exhaust pipe Pitts-style muffler from Keleo doesn't suffer from the vibration effects like the rear-swept single pipe version.

You should be fine...

Rip
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Syssa Aircraft

When I did use the screws in the tube in the stab....I think the trick to getting them tight against the fuse is to mark where the hole is going to be and then actually drill into the tube a few thousandths inboard...this will snug the stab against the fuse.

I am still going to epoxy mine in LOL!!

Beautiful stang Kahloq! What dull finish did you use?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

Beautiful stang Kahloq! What dull finish did you use?
Some parts are overcoated with Lustrakote flat clear fuel proof paint. However, the chrome(silver) is automotive paint from Checker Auto parts. It is already fuel proof. So there was no need to overcoat that. The silver is actually Chrome and it does show up kinda semi-gloss depending on the surface its applied to, but I had sprayed on a RLM76 color matched paint from Homedepot mixed with primer under it for a basecoat so it the Chrome didnt exhibit any shininess.
The blue is Model Masters Blue Angle blue and that is mostly dull already with only a minimal shine to it, but that easily gets blanked out by the Lustrakote.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Whens the maiden Kahlog? I want to be there to see it. If I can ever get my Mig finished, I would like to shoot you, eerrrr.... I mean fly formation with you!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 PM
kahloq

Well, if the weather is GOOD this weekend, i can try then. But, it aint gonna fly if there's much of a cross wind. I just checked the weather channel's forcast for Sunday and it says 5MPH from the north. Ummm.....not so comfortable flying a backwards pattern on a maiden attempt, so it may not fly. But, weather.com often doesnt get the wind speed or the direction correct for Drake field. We'll see. If not this weekend, then the next weekend if the winds are cooperative.
Even if they are from the north, I may still bring the plane to do taxi tests and get the needles set.
There are a few other planes I need to maiden as well(the german Spitfire is one, but wont make it to the field this weekend).
Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
captainron

kahloq,
Did ya get the maiden in? The big new Stang looks awesome!

RIP N BANK
Should we let him fly with us?

REINCARNATE,
Have you flown Frankie with the new gasser yet?

Nick,
congrats on the maiden,

DANG!...I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................. ...........CAPTAIN RON.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: captainron

kahloq,
Did ya get the maiden in? The big new Stang looks awesome!
No.....Bo was not available and I want him around for the maiden. Also want him to be able to see it before any potential bad things happen.

original: captainron

RIP N BANK
Should we let him fly with us?
Pfffft.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
frisconick

Thanks Capt''n. Now I just have to wait for Kelvin to get me a new exhaust. I''d put the stock one back on, but I''d have to take the engine out to do it. I''d rather wait. I''ll punish my Corsair until then !!

Nick
Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM
kahloq

Update on the plane.
I believe I mentioned I had a sluggish rudder even though its a very high torque servo. I was made aware by someone on rcgroups that the standard JR wall chargers actually can charge a 6v battery..................
So, I went to Hobbytown and got basically the only 6v battery they had. A 2700mah Expert 6v 5cell NimH

Initial report. I hooked up the 6v 2700 mah battery to the plane to test servo response. I did this before charging the battery to make sure I didnt blow anything. Initial voltage read exactly 6volts. Obviously once its charged, it''ll read above 7volts or so.
Here''s the thing. I am very glad I checked the power system with the uncharged battery and here''s why. At the 6v level all was well, but since it was an uncharged battery, the voltage dropped rather fast. After about 30 secs of moving the servos and such for tests, the rx went into brown out.....ie lockout mode. This is the JR921 2.4ghz rx. So, I removed the battery and checked the voltage. It read 4.4 volts, so the threshold for the brown out is higher then the 3.6v many of us had thought. Ive had lockouts before on regular 72mhz systems and If I recall, the battery voltage read in the low to mid 4''s as well once I was able to recover the pieces.

A fully charged 4.8 volt battery will usually register at 5.4 to 5.6v. However, depending on mah size, it may not take a whole lot time to drop to 5.0 and below. I am sure the 4500mah battery that was in the plane would be fine for a few flights as long as the battery was fully charged(given that there are 8 digital servos pulling on it). The problem though, is that it takes a very long time to charge a 4500mah battery, especially at a 50-110mah charge rate. Even at 110, it would take over 40 hours to fully charge...and 80 on a 50 mah wall charger...of course thats from dead. It wont take the full 40 or 80 since a battery doesnt start out from dead 0 mah/0 voltage, but even 30 or 60 hours is more then most ppl set their planes to charge for. Sure, a triton charger could fast charge it at a higher output and do it faster, but most ppl plug in the planes to charge overnight. Since I dont have a triton, even providing for 16-20 hours of charge, thats only 1600-2000 mah from where the battery sat at. So, its much more likely that I would see a brown out with the 4500 since it might not get charged long enough to hold voltage over the course of 3-4 flights or so.

Even though less mah overall, the 6v 2700mah battery should be a better safeguard providing that it doesnt cause premature wear on some of the servos.

I set the 6v battery on the wall charger overnight. The rating on this charger lists 110mah output at 5.8v. I checked the voltage this morning after it was on the charger for about 13 hours and it read 7volts. So, so far so good. I dont have a cycler, so any suggestions on draining the battery and such to condition it?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM
captainron

kahloq,
I use an ULTRA VISION PEAK charger. One 2500mah 6V in Frankie. Takes about 30-40 minutes to charge in the morning before I head for the field. The on board glow Mcdaniels battery has it''s own charger which I plug in the night before. The 6V 2500mah usually comes up to 8.35 peak and then settles in at 7.5 volts. After two flights, I''ve checked it at the field and still had 6.8 volts, would go 3 flights without a problem. Usually don''t because my heart just won''t take any more stress after the first two. I also know the new Triton ll seems to be about the most popular when it comes to being able to charge anything anywhere anytime.

Hope all goes well on the maiden. I''ll get to see it fly in Denver.
ALSO! Please don''t taxi it death like one of our brethern has been known to do. Just start it, let it warm up, run it up a few times, make any ajustments to the needle valve you need to get full power. Taxi onto the active runway, stop and check your control surfaces one last time. AND THEN, BOOGITY! BOOGITY! BOOGITY!!!!!!! LETS GO FLYING! BRING SPARE UNDIES! TWO PAIR, ONE FOR YOU AND ONE PAIR FOR BO......

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................. ...........................CAPTAIN RON.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: captainron

kahloq,
I use an ULTRA VISION PEAK charger. One 2500mah 6V in Frankie. Takes about 30-40 minutes to charge in the morning before I head for the field. The on board glow Mcdaniels battery has it''''s own charger which I plug in the night before. The 6V 2500mah usually comes up to 8.35 peak and then settles in at 7.5 volts.

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................. ...........................CAPTAIN RON.
This is what I was afraid of. If the JR wall charger cant get it up higher then 7 volts, then Im gonna have to get yet another frackin charger. I do have a wall charger that came with a 10.8volt nimh flight battery(for use in a no longer living Skymaster). I could make an adapter I guess to charge the battery off of that....BUT....Id have to watch it very closely or it would probably overcharge the battery and kill it. I dont know if it has a peak detection circuit or not.

The Triton JR is about as much as I would pay, but still would rather not. The TritonII is $125 and Im not spending that on a stupid charger that I only need it for one purpose.
I checked the Ultra Vision Peak you got and its nice, but D/C only.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

I''m using the Hobbico Accu-Cycle elite, that thing can charge everything, it can run with outlet AC current or can use it at the field with 12 volt DC. and can charge two different items at once such as, rx pack and on board glow, or rx and tx, i even charge my glow heater with it only thing i cant charge with it is the big 12 volt field box battery. The JR wall charger nec-222 or whatever its called, i had problems charging my 6volt 5 cell flight pack with it, the led came on, then about 5 hours later had dimmed out, i was believing i would do the initial slow charge for my flight pack with this but instead just used the accu-cycle at .15A and let it charge for two days. after that you can charge it at 1 Amp hour rate or a lil faster and youre straight.
louie
Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
crashproof

Kahlog trust me you will be fine with the wall charger. The batts just need a full charge the brown out is 3.5v the reason it went out at 4.4 is because the batt was weak. When it browned out you checked it and it was 4.4, but what matters is what it was when you were pulling on it moving the servos with a weak batt. If the rec. sees a drop to 3.5 it will brown out. Then when the drain was taken away the batt went back to 4.4 which is pretty weak. I charge my 6 volt 2700 over night before a flying session and after 3 flights I checked with volt meter and it was at 6.6 volt, that works for me. Good luck, Kevin.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
captainron

kahloq,
negative on the DC only. Mine is AC/DC. I just found it on Horizon Hobbys for 89.99. Colpar Hobbies in Denver also carries it for the same price. Go to the Horizon web site.
It''s item #DYN4053 BY DYNAMITE AT 89.99. It''s a good one at a fair price. Mine''s been trouble free for two years and it won''t overcharge. It''s also got an automatic trickle charge to keep the battery at peak if you leave it on charge. Also the ailiagator clips for charging at the field. Charges nimh, lipo and nicad.

DANG I LOVE THIS HOBBY............................................. CAPTAIN RON.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: crashproof

Kahlog trust me you will be fine with the wall charger. The batts just need a full charge the brown out is 3.5v the reason it went out at 4.4 is because the batt was weak. When it browned out you checked it and it was 4.4, but what matters is what it was when you were pulling on it moving the servos with a weak batt. If the rec. sees a drop to 3.5 it will brown out. Then when the drain was taken away the batt went back to 4.4 which is pretty weak. I charge my 6 volt 2700 over night before a flying session and after 3 flights I checked with volt meter and it was at 6.6 volt, that works for me. Good luck, Kevin.
Thanx for your input No matter how long I leave it on the JR 110mah wall charger, it wont get above 7 volts. I was expecting a little more then that(like 7.3 or so) but Captainron says his 6v battery gets to 8.35peak and then steadies to 7.5. The 7.5 is what interests me, but Im not gonna spend $130 on a charger to get that last .5volts. I did however, order a specific A/C DC wall charger(with alligator clips for dc charging) that does 4-8 cell Nimh rx packs). It only cost $29. I can live with that.
I already have portable DC lipo chargers, so getting one of those charge all type things like the Ultra Vison or the tritonII or whatever was simply not necessary.

This is the item I got and it should work just fine.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4056
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
captainron

kahloq,
I went and looked at the one you bought, It should work just fine. you need the 2A out put to bring the 2500mah nimh up to peak. Takes about 30-40 minutes on mine, maybe and an hour if the bat pk is really low and drained down on amperage. The only thing I don''t like about mine, is I''m starting to want one that tells me how much amperage is going in and how much it took to totally bring it back to full charge. Gives you an excellent idea of how much you are using on each flight. JEEZ! this stuff is getting so complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANG! I LOVE THIS HOBBY.........................................CAPT AIN RON.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.