Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WILLHOBBY FW 190 Build

I have a quick engine mounting question. The hole in the wooden engine mounting block is offset. When I mount the engine, 90 degrees, what should the orientation of the block be? I know how I think it goes, but before I screw it up, I ask here, because you guys sure know what you are doing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48896.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	888700  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: KentuckyColonel

I have a quick engine mounting question. The hole in the wooden engine mounting block is offset. When I mount the engine, 90 degrees, what should the orientation of the block be? I know how I think it goes, but before I screw it up, I ask here, because you guys sure know what you are doing!
Help...................
Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Roundthe bend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have 2 degrees of right thrust when looking at the engine from above.

Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some split flaps on the CMP FW190, check out that build thread...nd good luck with that.[8D]
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
KentuckyColonel

Despite myself, it looks like I got the engine mounted where it should be......amazing!
Servos should be delivered anytime now. UPS has them marked as "out for delivery". My cockpit is on the way also. Buyaero.com got me the UPS tracking number this morning and it's almost here too. Should be in the next day or two.
I just looked over all the posts in both this and the CMP FW 190 bash thread again. You guys do great work on these things! After I have this one a while (I hope, but you just never know what might happen with these things!), maybe I'll pull her apart and try some of the things you guys have done. No way I'll even attempt it on my own, right now, with a new plane. Even if it is a cheapy I got off of eBay!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
jlarsen168

Well guys Im still alive.I layed my nightrain down turning on to the street where I live boy I guess it is true most accidents happen close to your house.That was my 13th accident on a motorcycle since the age of 7 maybe 13 means there wont be know more it was my wifes first.She was thrown clear banged up her elbow she gets up starts walking away cussing me out while I am stuck under the bike.Woman???I had my keys in my back pocket with a minature eight ball.The keys got stuck in the fabrick the eight ball is rolling around on the assfault bruseing my left ass cheek to the point where it feelt like I was growing a new head on the wrong end of my body.I dont know wich hurt worse my pride or my but.So I appoligise for not being on the thread for a while.I re-did the canopy by using bodyfiller and glass over the styrene filling in those inditations that I thought I could live with but couldnt.I am going to start with the controll rods did any body use the stuff from the kit or did you use custom horns???It wont take me long to catch up!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Jl , dont know you but trust me on this one , my friends are all cops , they call the bikes "donarbike" vs motorbikes , when there is a crash , they usually are fatal . Good luck and I wish you the best , but bikes are not very forgiving , you have been lucky .
Keep us posted on the plane , I just got my servos , all I need is a pilot , new canopy and some fiberglass and I am going to start my bash .Picked up a squardren signals"FW190 Walk around " wow great stuff with tons of pics
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 PM
jlarsen168

Hey lou, most of my crashes were because of me being stupid on race bikes.The anoying thing was I was on my harley doin 15 to 20 and wiped out on rocks.What company did you order your cockpit from.The pilot I got looks awsome evan at close viewing.It sitting on a block gives full view of cockpit and the block only being 2 1/2 inches makes it look like a full figure.Since I did the cockpit in flat black the primer black block cant evan be seen just a thought might save you about 30 to 50 bucks compaired to a full figure.I saw a canopy for a pica kit on google image search and I also think on ebay.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
KentuckyColonel

I just got my Dynamic balsa cockpit from buyaero.com. It;s pretty nice, although, as I was forewarned, I'd need to complete it. Doesn't look like it'll be too difficult, even for someone of my skill level. We'll see. It'll get done later on in the build.

Aces of Iron pilot figures are really great looking figures. I wish they would offer a full figure.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:40 AM
PSJDBF

Hey John pleased you and the wife are OK.
Me and a mate came off his bike doing about 20 K's around a corner ...the Dude who lived on the corner was washing his car at the time
all the water & suds were running across the road.
He said alot of bikes seem to crash on this corner...we said F#** its not when your washing your car is it !!.
Any way good to see your back.
I'm not far away from starting my bash..lost one of my planes yesterday (wing folded doing some high speed manoeuvers )
Sad last night but
finished my GeeBee conversion today (Glow to electric )so happy again.
Ordered my sierra retracts yesterday so next on the table is the 190 !.
Running in the saito 170R3 this week hopefully just waiting on a prop.
Steffan.

If your after a good full body or half bust pilot try AH design they use real clothing & rubber and look great.
I have one in my SE5a.

http://www.thepilotpeople.co.uk/
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 AM
PSJDBF

Took some pics of the pilot mentioned above.
maiden the GeeBee R2 tomorrow hopefully.
cheers Steffan.

Name:	Zx37315.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	892195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74210.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	892196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88124.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	892197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dq75833.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	892198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34270.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	892199  
Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steffan,

Did you get that gee bee off ebay? i have been bidding on one myself...

thanks

dave
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
PSJDBF

Yeah thats right Dave from the super hobbie store from memory.
Glassed fuse and built up wing will do some weathering & attach the hatch cover I cut out if it survives the maiden.
No CG info hopefully I've got it right alittle nose heavy.
Cheers Steffan.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
KentuckyColonel

So, after a closer look at my cockpit kit....
Disappointed in the gauge faces. Very low quality printout compared to the detail of the parts of the cockpit. Anyone have an idea where I can copy some gauge faces for this? Other than this little disappointment, I am pretty happy with the cockpit, and I think it might just do!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:06 PM
LDM

Jl , well I guess thats good to hear , just be careful on the street , trust me this is from a guy that is in real planes every week lol ,

As far as an interior I bought a Kit from IMP scale .Its very good , I am very pleased . I plan on downloading real pic and cut paiste and paint .
As far as a pilot , in my P40 I went with a Blue box Ben P40 pilot , major downfall is the weight . My thinking for the FW190 is taking a good half light weight pilot and useing bluefoam for the lower body and feet . I hate to add weight in details . I will build every interior cockpit from depron and light weight balsa .
Picked up Brian Taylor plans , not impressed and a Squardren signal FW190 walk around , that was impressive , tons of detail shots for a mere $16.00 bucks
I now have all my servos , and extension , still figuaring out the tail retract , I think I can get a regular robart to retract in a scale manner .
Ordering 4" smooth wheels from williams brothers , need to determine the tail wheel size
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 PM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey KentuckyColonel,

Give me a day or two to get them together but i can give you a copy of the dial faces i photoshop'd for my instruments. i had the same problem you have when i bought the cockpit for my Mustang from them and i spend over 2 weeks gathering pic's and photoshopping all the instruments.

LDM,

I had the same problem as you do and i managed to cut the weight down from about 300g (10.5oz) down to 97g (3.4oz) by replacing the plastic body with a EPP foam body, arms and legs. i will do the same for the pilot of my Fw-190 this week and i'll take some pic's for those interested.

thanks

dave
Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 AM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey KentuckyColonel,

Give me a day or two to get them together but i can give you a copy of the dial faces i photoshop'd for my instruments. i had the same problem you have when i bought the cockpit for my Mustang from them and i spend over 2 weeks gathering pic's and photoshopping all the instruments.

LDM,

I had the same problem as you do and i managed to cut the weight down from about 300g (10.5oz) down to 97g (3.4oz) by replacing the plastic body with a EPP foam body, arms and legs. i will do the same for the pilot of my Fw-190 this week and i'll take some pic's for those interested.

thanks

dave
Thanks Dave, I'd appreciate it.

My pilot will be as is for photo ops, and then the uniform, hands and head will be having a foam body for actual flight. My Grandma and mom made dolls when I was a kid, so I have a good idea how to make the bodies. Of course my pilot won't be a doll.......
Old 03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
LDM

Its a shame to spend all that money on great pilots but the weight is a killer ,
looking forward to seeing the pics
Thanks
Lou
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
KentuckyColonel

Wings are joined and pretty much done. I'm going to start with the tail feathers and servos this afternoon. Might be ready to do the little bit of touch up paint by tomorrow or the next day. After that, I'll get the cockpit in so Fritz can be a bit more comfortable.

Name:	Rp42838.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	893533  
Old 03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
PSJDBF

That pilot looks the Biz Colonel !.
Steffan
Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
KentuckyColonel

Thanks, he's ready to go for a spin anytime now!......Well, let's hope he only spins if I tell him to!

Question:

Is this correct? Seems to me that the ring should be inside the cowl.

Name:	Ro41984.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	893609  
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
LDM

yes the ring get mounted inside the cowl , then you screw the ring to the firewall so you dont see the screws on the outside cowl
Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: LDM

yes the ring get mounted inside the cowl , then you screw the ring to the firewall so you dont see the screws on the outside cowl
That's what I thought. The way they show it makes no sense at all. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey KentuckyColonel,

LDM,

thanks

dave
Dave,

They were here, now they are gone. Can you either repost them or just send to me at [email protected]

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
KentuckyColonel

First attempt at airbrushing was not a total success. Let's just say that I'm glad German planes were used a lot and that they weren't real clean.........
The fact that the paint is thinned so much was my down fall, and as a result a few runny areas. Here's what it looks like so far. Note the over spry on the wing fillet. Caused by an idiot who forgot to totally mask the area,,,, I think when I finish dirtying it up it'll be looking okay. Now, a question asked too late.... Is Model Master Enamel fuel proof? If not, I'll need to hit it with a coat of LusterKote Dull. (My late parents are in the photo on the wall. I bet my mom is thinking, "Is he ever going to clean that messy table up?")

Name:	Mk26146.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	895866  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.