Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Sky Shark RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 01:03 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Shark RC

Wondering if anyone has dealt with Sky Shark RC....skysharkrc.com

A friend of mine prompted this post as he is looking at them for his first warbird.
I must admit that I think their Hellkitty (not giant scale) looks pretty decent.

So good or bad lets hear it.

No reps please.

Thanks and cheers.
James
Old 04-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sky Shark RC

I saw some examples of their kits at Toledo. They looked pretty good. Outstanding laser cutting on the wood parts. They said that their future plans are to release some of these same planes in a little larger size.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:17 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sky Shark RC

Also saw them at Toledo...and agree with aptar's opinion. Maybe there might be one in my future - sure hope so....Father's Day isn't that far away :-0

Jerry
Old 04-19-2003, 02:35 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sky Shark RC

Just to let you know skysharkrc was the formerly Heritage RC. I have downloaded two of their manuals, Dauntless and Stuka. One of these kits will be in my hanger late on this year.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:58 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Sky Shark RC

I have the Heritage Dauntless and if they did as a good a job as heritage did then you have a winner. Looking real hard at the Stuka!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:37 AM
f8fbigbear
My Feedback: (1)

Default Skyshark stuff

Hello,

A good freind and fellow club member of mine is just finishing up the Hellcat. These are top quality kits. The wood selection is very good, the laser cutting is awsome. They build light and relatively quickly for a scale job. The plans are very nicely done. Each set is a new cad drawing instead of a copy of a master. The only "bad" thing about the kit was the poor quality of the glass cowl. My friend also has the avenger and the cowl was even worse than the hellcats. Chuck also built their tempest, which happens to be the very one that is pictured in Skysharks catalogue. He had the same problem with the cowl on it. Saying this, all of these kits were purchased when Skyshark was still Heritage RC. With the new ownership all of the molds an plugs have been redone. I have seen and inspected the parts pulled from the new plugs and I can say that they are beautiful. Now I have to get their Skyraider. By the way as far as flying goes. The only one I have seen fly was the tempest. It flew like a pattern ship, no odd tendencies. It was powered by a Magnum .80 4-stroke. I hope this helps with your decision. You won't be dissappointed with one
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 AM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

Default dauntless

if you build the dauntless let me know. it is #2 on my list of "really really want to build" kits right now. EVOut
Old 05-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Big Sasquatch

Default Sky Shark RC

I am thinking seriously about their FW-190A. They are the only company I know of offering one in a 60 size category, it doesn't look super scale but some minor mods would really make a difference.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
MikeChilson

Default Sky Shark RC

Originally posted by Kurt Tank
I am thinking seriously about their FW-190A. They are the only company I know of offering one in a 60 size category, it doesn't look super scale but some minor mods would really make a difference.
I have the FW-190A kit. The kit is REALLY nice. Your right, it will take a little more detail to fully scale it out but the lines are pretty close on it. I am planning on starting my in June.

I would HIGHLY recommend their kits!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:13 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Sky Shark RC

Well it seems that it will be awhile before I do my dauntless, bummer!!! Have nerves in my back being pinched and standing in the shop just is to much right now. Getting old ain't for sissies!!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Steve Collins

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sky Shark RC

Kurt Tank --

Marutaka makes a .60 size FW-190A8. Hobby Barn carries this line of kits. These kits were once marketed as "Royal" kits.

I think Bob Holman may also have one.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:54 AM
perfectplanes
My Feedback: (133)

Default Avenger

Hey Guys,
I am currently putting together Skysharks Avenger. I agree that the lazer cutting was outstanding. The parts are crisp, highly detailed, and just about fall out (some do). Almost all of the parts fit perfectly! I have framed up the tail feathers and the wing. I will be starting on the fuse soon. The only problem I have had so far are with the instructions. Sometimes the described part does not correspond with the part labled on the plan. I talked to Mike Grey about this and he was more than helpful in helping me throught it. He told me that we is revising the plans as well. If I can get a hold of a digital camera I will try to post some pics.
Mikes Hellcat looks very nice too!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:30 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sky Shark RC

I'm looking at the Dauntless as well. Downloaded the manual and it looks superb. Just built the PICA lasercut Corsair and it just "snapped" together. I'm am sold on lasercut kits.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Capt. Winters

Default Sky Shark RC

Hello Perfectplanes, I to am building the Avenger, it sounds as if we are at the same stage. I have the tail sections and the center section of the wind done. Trying to get back to it, but with my 13 month and 4 year old helpers,it might take me just a little longer than you. Would love to see your pictures if you have time. Take care and happy building Capt. Winters
Old 01-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Sparkie-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Sky Shark RC

The first thing I noticed about the Sky Sharks Avenger kit was how well the parts were packaged. Tightly bound in shrink wrap, separated according to when you will need them. The glass cowl is the best I've seen. When the first coat of primer went on there were no pin holes, not one. this was a first for me. Since I fly in Texas and the best flying days fall in the temps of + 90 degrees I opened the cowl flaps a little more.
The build went fine. knocking out all those lightning holes proved to be a slight pain. (Some cuts didn't burn all the way through) however you can tell right away they built several prototypes because every part fit right on the money. With all those lightning holes I figured I would glass the model so I could paint it.
When I weighed the plane couldn't believe the scale. 11 1/2 pounds ready to fly!
Considering the size of the model this is a real accomplishment.
I was in doubt that a 90 four stroke could fly a model so large so I went with a 90 two stroke.
This was a bad idea. Excessive horse power just meant that I had to throttle back to make the speed look scale. At full power it looked like a Reno air racer. At 1/4 power it looks more like a war bird, but this loaded up the glow plug. At idle the approach speeds are a little hot too.
Go with the 90 four stroke. I refitted the model with one and she flies and sounds like a war bird.

After several flights, the only problem I ran into was with the Robart tail wheel. The little plastic collar at the first bend of the wire needs to be replaced with a metal one. The problem is the collar slides past the first bend allowing the wire to slide into the plane. This miss aligns the tiller arms with the little wires that centers the gear when retracted. It also makes the connection with the servo loose.
It don't sound like much of a problem but it caused my Avenger to ground loop, The wing dug into the field and spun it around bending the retract gear. The only damage to the airframe was one small crack where the wing attaches. This is a tough bird, I thought for sure there would be more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38364.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	218496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70082.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	218497   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27184.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	218498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48638.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	218499  
Old 01-22-2005, 07:59 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And not one person mentioned the blonde in their booth at Toledo. I am so dissapointed. Anyways i was looking at there val and may end up with it this year.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Hellcat716

Skyshark kits are the best. I agree with all the above statements. Mike Grey is the best. Just finished their ME-109.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67265.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	219116  
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 AM
rcmiket

I also have the Avenger kit and it is really nice.I just need to finish up one or two projects and I'm on it. A freind just recived his Skyshark C.E.2 Arf and all I can saw is wow. Its making my G.P Eagle look like maybe I din't get such a good deal after all. Its really nice to see a company like them putting out nice rarely seen subjects like they do. -Mike