Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Birdcage Canopy Corsairs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Birdcage Canopy Corsairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 02:40 AM
flybaby-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Birdcage Canopy Corsairs

I am in the process of finishing my 94 inch W.S. ZIROLLI CORSAIR , and i kind of like the early birdcage canopy models for color schemes . HAS anyone ever done this with the ZIROLLI CORSAIR and if so how did you get , or change the canopy to look scale? I would appreciate any information , and pictures you might have . Thanks Tom [email protected]
Old 04-19-2003, 11:30 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been contemplating the same thing, only with a Top FliteCorsair, and I wonder if a (Top Flite) P-47 canopy could be made to work. Has anybody tried this?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:40 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet would be the TF P-40 canopy. With a few modifications like altering the angle of the bottom and cutting off the back. Or carve one out of foam, glass it, put mold release on it, make a fiberglass frame, then pull your own clear canopy. Glue the fiberglass frame to it and you got it!

The front of a P-47 canopy is totally different, it is a sharp point at the center. This would look bad on a Corsair.

I would have to agree about the later Corsair paint jobs, I'm building a F4U-1D now. Only a few of the early D models had the Tri color scheme, all the rest were just all blue.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:00 AM
flybaby-RCU

Thanks for the reply but i dont think the TOP FLITE CANOPY would be big enough for the zirolli corsair . I probably will have to mold one unless someone else has already done it . Thanks Tom
Old 04-20-2003, 03:10 AM
dionysusbacchus

Oops, my bad. For some reason I was thinking .60 size. It depends on how accurate you wanted to make it. It would definitely be a lot easier to make than a bubble canopy. Maybe the Ziroli P-40 canopy? If you do make it yourself make it in 2 parts.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:15 AM
flybaby-RCU

I was also thinking of the zirolli p-40 canopy . Thanks Tom
Old 04-20-2003, 12:43 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back to the P-47 canopies: it appears to me (from my limited P-47 documentation) that there 2 different versions of the 'razorback' canopies. The first is pointed in front, as 'Dion' mentioned, but it appears to me that a later, rounded front version was used also. This is the one I was thinking of, it appears to very closely match the 'birdcage' Corsair canopy. I think this is the one that comes with the Top Flite kits.
So, the question becomes, regardless of scale, which canopy more closely resembles the birdcage Corsair canopy? Maybe we could compare the P-51B ones also. It,s gonna take someone with plans from all those kits (in a given scale) AND good scale birdcage Corsair drawings to give a good answer.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:43 PM
flybaby-RCU

Thanks I have a giant scale p-47 canopy and i will see wht it looks like compapison wise . Thanks again Tom
Old 04-20-2003, 02:55 PM
phayd

I have a book with scale drawings of the birdcage. (Aero Detail)

XF4U -1, F4U-1, and F4U-2, all had different variations of the birdcage. F4U-1 had two different variations, depending on production date.

They all had the same front windshield, so I won't describe it.

XF4U-1 - flat top; Cross members - 2 verticals, one horizontal - spaced evenly; large back window frame.

F4U-1 - Flat top with exception of external rear-view mirror; Cross members - 2 vertical, one horizontal - spaced toward the back. Back window frame removed. Fuselage windows added behind cockpit.

Late production F4U-1 - Bubble top w/ internal rear-view mirror otherwise the same as F4U-1.

F4U-2 - same as late F4U-1 except an armor plate added above and slightly behind pilots head.

I will try to scan these pages today for you.

-- Update --
I have two pictures (a TIFF and a JPG) that shows all of the birdcage revisions. Together they are over 4 MB and will not shrink well. Therefore, you'll have to e-mail me to get them. [email protected]
Old 04-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

This is my Brian Taylor Corsair that I did with the birdcage canopy. I made a balsa plug for the windshield part and pulled it over that using a heat gun. For the sliding canopy part I used a flat piece of butyrate and cut it to fit over a 1/8 ply frame. I used a hot lightbulb with a piece of cloth over it to create the "blister" on the top of the canopy. It took a couple of tries for each but it turned out OK.

You might be able to use the windshield part of the Ziroli canopy and then make the sliding part from flat stock like I did.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72534_5716.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	43436  
Old 04-22-2003, 12:44 AM
flybaby-RCU

Thanks Jim I t looks good . I f my memory serves me corrrectly the BYRON TAYLOR IS ABOUT A 76 INCH WING SPAN . I will probably try your method Thanks again Tom
Old 04-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

flybaby,

Actually I enlarged the old .60 size BT plans to an 88" wingspan, so I had to build a cowl too.

Jim
Old 04-22-2003, 08:26 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by Tmoth4
flybaby,

Actually I enlarged the old .60 size BT plans to an 88" wingspan, so I had to build a cowl too.

Jim
Tmoth4,

Great looking Corsair! I must confess that I don't like the Brian Taylor Corsair wing. although the nose on the Brian Taylor plan is one of the most accurate around. I want to build a large Corsair, but after getting the Ziroli plan I found that it would need to many modifications to be correct also. I have decided to enlarge the Royal .60 Corsair plan! The question is, how did you get your plan enlarged? Any info would be helpful!

Thanks,

Luke
Old 04-22-2003, 08:43 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default canopy

I had this same canopy question in my advisor column for rcwarbirds. Heres a way to make the canopy frame.

Use the inside of your current canopy as a mold. Use some plaster of paris and pour into the inside of the canopy and let harden. When it is cured pop it out and let it dry for a day or so. Then put a few coats of poly urethane, varnish, shellac anything like that onto the plaster and when dry wetsand smooth then using some rubbing compound buff it up. Put several coats of Mold release on and then glass over it with 2 or 3 layers of glass. When its all cured draw on the glass the frame structure you want, trim it up and you have your frame. You can then use the old canopy for the glass for your frame.

Joe
Old 04-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by dionysusbacchus
I must confess that I don't like the Brian Taylor Corsair wing. e
Just FYI, the wing on the new 82" Taylor Corsair is not built at all like the older .60 size plan. No more wedges to form the gull, the new plans shows a much more scale wing construction.